Rear motors scraping on body when folded in..
1754 17 2018-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quad Flyin Ape
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2368264 ft
  • >>>

Noticing out of the box that the rear motors are scraping on the body right behind the gimbal area when folding in.    Just checked my Mavic Pro and it does not do this.

Any others seeing this?  Rather bad to have to pull the legs out a bit when folding it up so it doesn't scratch the body.
2018-9-16
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Others have reported this as well. DJI says this is by design, but for the life of me I can't figure out why you'd do this.
2018-9-16
Use props
Quad Flyin Ape
lvl.2
  • >>>

Paul_IA Posted at 2018-9-16 14:41
Others have reported this as well. DJI says this is by design, but for the life of me I can't figure out why you'd do this.

Makes no sense to me - anything scraping will start scraping material off.  Not what I want to see in my brand new unit.

Any idea if it's all units or should I attempt a replacement?
2018-9-16
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Quad Flyin Ape Posted at 2018-9-16 14:51
Makes no sense to me - anything scraping will start scraping material off.  Not what I want to see in my brand new unit.

Any idea if it's all units or should I attempt a replacement?

Might do a search on the forum here. I believe DJI said in previous posts that this was "normal". Not sure if they will replace this if it's designed this way. Would be interesting to see if the next batch of MP2s have this "feature" though.
2018-9-16
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

This is by design so you will want the next model.  Mavic 3 Pro will feature “Now with non-scraping rear motors” and “Including a non-fisheye; line skipping 1 inch sensor”
2018-9-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Perhaps some Moleskin where arms do touch body?
2018-9-16
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i don't think i would call it a defect or an issue, annoying sure.....but if you're really concerned you can maybe buy a skin or something and apply it to the area of the body where it touched.. ?   
2018-9-16
Use props
shazamin91_DJI
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The term is interference/friction fit....
2018-9-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not good to see the drone scratch itself but not a defective - pointless sending it back as I'm nearly all of them will do this. My MA had this problem too - it's just a slight scratch.
2018-9-17
Use props
Quad Flyin Ape
lvl.2
  • >>>

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-16 15:39
It touches very slightly but it allows the curvature of the rear nacelles to nestle into the front air vent.  The very slightest of outward pressure when folding will prevent the two from touching.  Really much ado about nothing, IMHO.

Hmm but my Platinum Pro which I upgraded from sure didn't rub.     Improvement?
2018-9-17
Use props
Quad Flyin Ape
lvl.2
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-16 16:00
i don't think i would call it a defect or an issue, annoying sure.....but if you're really concerned you can maybe buy a skin or something and apply it to the area of the body where it touched.. ?

If you bought a new car and the door rubbed before latching shut would you call that defective/poor fit?  I would.   Further if the maker said 'not a defect' and after a couple of months the paint wore down... still not a defect?  

Just posing a question here.
2018-9-17
Use props
Quad Flyin Ape
lvl.2
  • >>>

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-17 08:51
Totally different design so I don't think this is applicable..  I have two Mavic Pros & still think they are great birds.  I have no plans on parting with them.  That said, the Mavic 2, either model but particularly the Pro, offer serious improvements over their predecessor.  The Mavic Pro had teething issues early on.  This is par for the course in the release of a new model.

Footage from Mavic 2 Pro (4K x 30 fps, Normal profile, Auto settings, no post, straight from the bird to YouTube)

Never said it wasn't an improvement ..    Just no real reason for a scraping set of legs.   Just because DJI says it isn't a problem... doesn't mean it isn't to the consumer.   
2018-9-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Quad Flyin Ape Posted at 2018-9-17 07:33
If you bought a new car and the door rubbed before latching shut would you call that defective/poor fit?  I would.   Further if the maker said 'not a defect' and after a couple of months the paint wore down... still not a defect?  

Just posing a question here.

completely different scale... if i bought a $1500 car i wouldn't care if the hood even latched..
yes if i bought a brand new car, and the doors caught on the body i wouldnt be happy, however...differant scale and differant design.  my car isnt meant to be folded up... my car also costs $61,000 new, i dont expect anything short of the tightest tolerances... so yea, if my $1500 mavic 2 pro was rubbing its motors while folded up (i odnt have one, yet but just say i did).. i wouldnt mind it that much. i may raise concern to dji to fix it in the future by makign them aware... but it wouldnt bother me that bad, differant story if the gimbal was on backwards or the damn thing took off and crashed itself regularly, yes.. but minor rubbing on a folding area of a $1500 drone... eh... i consider that part of the wear and tear.. also what i would consider a typical dji early adopter issue..
2018-9-17
Use props
Cmartin3977
lvl.4
Flight distance : 304744 ft

Yea mine does it too, clearly a design flaw that DJI won’t admit to , along with the scratches that keep happening from the gimbal protector, things that shouldn’t happen from a 1500.00 drone.
2018-9-17
Use props
nmac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-17 16:32
completely different scale... if i bought a $1500 car i wouldn't care if the hood even latched..
yes if i bought a brand new car, and the doors caught on the body i wouldnt be happy, however...differant scale and differant design.  my car isnt meant to be folded up... my car also costs $61,000 new, i dont expect anything short of the tightest tolerances... so yea, if my $1500 mavic 2 pro was rubbing its motors while folded up (i odnt have one, yet but just say i did).. i wouldnt mind it that much. i may raise concern to dji to fix it in the future by makign them aware... but it wouldnt bother me that bad, differant story if the gimbal was on backwards or the damn thing took off and crashed itself regularly, yes.. but minor rubbing on a folding area of a $1500 drone... eh... i consider that part of the wear and tear.. also what i would consider a typical dji early adopter issue..

Feel the same as you and do agree, but my Aventador cost a little more than yours but every thing that moves has been checked many times.
2018-9-17
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

Yes it rubs but I have yet to see rub marks on mine because when I fold the legs, I fold it with care - not abruptly. Oh, and I placed a clear 3M film where it rubs.
2018-9-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

nmac Posted at 2018-9-17 17:22
Feel the same as you and do agree, but my Aventador cost a little more than yours but every thing that moves has been checked many times.

i'm guessing you have to be living in a warmer climate.. or your lambo is a second car.  

i can't bring myself to buy a super car i was seriously considering getting myself a Nissan GT-R or a Ferrari 488 GTB, but because here in the rust belt part of america it would get destroyed within 3 years of winter driving, they pour salt all winter long like they get paid by how much they dump.  not all about rust either, wiring and electrics suffer massively too..  i just can't stand to know it would get destroyed.. because if i buy a supercar i would daily drive it, rain or shine, snow or sleet..
2018-9-17
Use props
Guido-Italy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

Don't worry now DJI has increased prices about drone, batteries, care, ..... and so within some months we will have a drone without problem
2018-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules