12Next >
3923 49 2018-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
simis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 405102 ft
Latvia

After collecting DJI responses this is logical conclusion. Regarding lens distortion fix: THERE IS NOT ENOUGH POWER and it is "Normal"
Regarding full sensor readout, let me guess: NOT ENOUGH POWER and it is also "Normal"
Dear DJI how are you expecting to improve this product in the future if there is NOT ENOUGH POWER already ???
2018-9-18
Use props
MavicFit91
First Officer
Flight distance : 573225 ft
  • >>>
United States

Man what are you even talking about? The Mavic 2 Pro has plenty of power. You would have to own one to know this?
2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

MavicFit91 Posted at 2018-9-18 04:53
Man what are you even talking about? The Mavic 2 Pro has plenty of power. You would have to own one to know this?

Maybe you have different drone?
2018-9-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

simis Posted at 2018-9-18 05:08
Maybe you have different drone?[view_image]

I think what he’s trying to say, do you own a M2, as it doesn’t show under your avatar.
2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-18 05:14
I think what he’s trying to say, do you own a M2, as it doesn’t show under your avatar.

I just sold MP and was going to buy M2P but then these topics popped up regarding lens distortion.
At beginning I thought ok, DJI is going to fix it but after they (not officially) announced that there is not enough power to fix it I'm kind of lost. Why I should buy out-powered product. What kind of improvements to expect in future if they can't fix obvious things now
2018-9-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What DJI are stating is that the M2 drone will use most of it's power to record to the H.265 codec at the sacrifice of lens distortion but you can manage that in post production which you will presumably be using when recording with a 10bit colour depth. You won't get perfection straight out of the camera in every regard - that is why d-log looks terrible: dull and flat from the camera but after  bit of work in post the footage looks amazing and much better than 'normal' from the camera. The same applies even if you dropped twenty grand on an Inspire 2 X7 combo...
2018-9-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

simis Posted at 2018-9-18 05:24
I just sold MP and was going to buy M2P but then these topics popped up regarding lens distortion.
At beginning I thought ok, DJI is going to fix it but after they (not officially) announced that there is not enough power to fix it I'm kind of lost. Why I should buy out-powered product. What kind of improvements to expect in future if they can't fix obvious things now

Well you owned a Mavic Pro, since the last two years the improvements in both The Aircraft and it’s camera have been pretty substantial, if your looking specifically for a fix to lens distortion then maybe it’s not for you.
The Mavic Pro is a great Aircraft, there are very few problems with it, as you will no doubt read around here, it’s really exceptional.
It didn’t arrive that way, it evolved, so maybe if your willing to wait you may see some improvements in the M2, so you can purchase down the line sometime. Some people don’t have a problem with working with what they have now. Others expect everything to work perfectly out of the box, but those who have been flying these drones for some time know exactly what to expect, and so far problems for this craft seem to be very low.
2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-18 05:35
Well you owned a Mavic Pro, since the last two years the improvements in both The Aircraft and it’s camera have been pretty substantial, if your looking specifically for a fix to lens distortion then maybe it’s not for you.
The Mavic Pro is a great Aircraft, there are very few problems with it, as you will no doubt read around here, it’s really exceptional.
It didn’t arrive that way, it evolved, so maybe if your willing to wait you may see some improvements in the M2, so you can purchase down the line sometime. Some people don’t have a problem with working with what they have now. Others expect everything to work perfectly out of the box, but those who have been flying these drones for some time know exactly what to expect, and so far problems for this craft seem to be very low.

I think you r right, I'll wait a month or two. Because normally companies releasing new products running at 60-70% capacity and leaving space for improvements
2018-9-18
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

simis Posted at 2018-9-18 05:41
I think you r right, I'll wait a month or two. Because normally companies releasing new products running at 60-70% capacity and leaving space for improvements

In this thread, and one other, I was confused and mis-understood what's going on.

If you shoot 4K 30fps/60fps H.264 NOT using H.265 and d-Log and whatever else was said, then you will see amazing video.......your stills in jpg 3x2 or 16x9 should also be amazing.....and NO lens distortion.

The lens distortion only seems to come into play when shooting in the PROFESSIONAL SETTINGS as described in post#6

Again, I was very surprised in another thread about this.....but since I don't spend alot of time editing......and have never shot in H.265......I'm no longer concerned about this.

Randy
2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-9-18 09:31
In this thread, and one other, I was confused and mis-understood what's going on.

If you shoot 4K 30fps/60fps H.264 NOT using H.265 and d-Log and whatever else was said, then you will see amazing video.......your stills in jpg 3x2 or 16x9 should also be amazing.....and NO lens distortion.

Hello Randy,
For starterters there in no 60fps in 4K mode. Secondly topic is about luck of processing power for DJI advertised top futures to perform properly and nothing else.
2018-9-18
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

People want the quality and perfection you would only get from a $4,000+ full frame or larger camera from a 1" sensor flying camera for $1500, that costs as much as an entry level DSLR/Mirrorless camera. The camera is maybe a $300 camera at best. The rest of the cost is the Drone itself and the computer etc for all of it's sensors and flight technology.

I think the problem is that people don't look at their camera and don't bother to know it's limitations.  That doesn't make something out dated though. Just means it has limitations that so far still exceed every single consumer drone that exists.

Stop expecting your footage from a camera the size of a marble to look like it came from a $120,000.00 Red Monstro set up and work within the limitations of what the camera can do and that's when you will produce amazing footage..
2018-9-18
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sorry,  I have a P4Pro which does have 60fps in 4K.......my bad

I understand that DJI expects anyone using the higher end abilities of the M2P to have the knowledge and Post Processing capabilities to deal with the H.265 D-LogM Full FOV blah blah blah.......

Also,  those intending to use the higher end capabilities, Pro Photographers/Videographers,  would already know that POST PROCESSING would be required for the desired result......... " I " would not know that, which is why I'm here.   And NO I could not find where DJI spells that out in the specs of the M2P.

Randy
2018-9-18
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In this thread, and one other, I was confused and mis-understood what's going on.

Im in a different spectrum here
I dont care about lens distortion as much, but I cant use Normal mode in M2P because its not recording all colors ( same as Mavic Air ) so D-log is a must here. ;)
2018-9-18
Use props
James Kelly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 178635 ft
United Kingdom

I'm a noob at Post Processing video footage so it would have been nice to receive a lens correction profile - I can understand people's frustration.
2018-9-18
Use props
liketofly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1315561 ft
Austria

I'm also a noob, however - if they can't do it onboard - which seems to be a lack of processing power (no wonder, H.265 even highly stresses my PC)  at least it would be nice if they would provide a lens correction profile for the most common video editing solutions....
2018-9-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

In this thread, and one other, I was confused and mis-understood what's going on.

You can still shoot 4K in H.265 without lens distortion and no post correction needs (if you are not familiar with it or don't see a need) while getting excellent quality, just not in DLOG which anyway requires substantive post processing where lens correction is a matter of seconds only. There are just a few creating a storm in a tea cup, that's all.
2018-9-18
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-18 14:28
You can still shoot 4K in H.265 without lens distortion and no post correction needs (if you are not familiar with it or don't see a need) while getting excellent quality, just not in DLOG which anyway requires substantive post processing where lens correction is a matter of seconds only. There are just a few creating a storm in a tea cup, that's all.

SO..... D-Log is the key ingredient?   ish..... meaning a combo of pro settings......

Thanks Watch..... I think I was trying to say that.  And that it's still a great platform, even if you don't do much post processing.

This video is nothing special....I love a Clean San Diego came to our area of operation Last Saturday......this vid is from the P4Pro, but still in 4K 30fps and Normal mode ISO Sunny......I needed an ND8 on the lens, but oh well.  If you look to the top of this very short video, you can see a time trial ThunderBoat's Rooster tail
This video is straight off the SD Card....no POST of anykind.........I am sure it could look better, but that's not the point.

2018-9-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

James Kelly Posted at 2018-9-18 12:18
I'm a noob at Post Processing video footage so it would have been nice to receive a lens correction profile - I can understand people's frustration.

BINGO!  
Since Mavic-2 does not do Lens correction (due to lack of processing power), then DJI should have provided required Lens Correction Profile.  Instead of leaving it up to customers to hunt down Lens Profiles, and test them to see which one works the best.
2018-9-18
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-18 18:29
If you record with the Normal profile (& presumably other modes to be added later) you won't have any lens distortion.  If you are recording in the affected modes, then you are almost certainly doing work in post & applying lens correction at the same time is no big deal.

M2P, Normal profile, full auto, no post, no distortion:

ISO  ?

No Filter left on the cam?  Just clear?

That looks great!   I have way too many airports around me to get night time footage like that......boohoo

Randy
2018-9-18
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-18 18:58
The camera was in Auto so probably 1600 for most of the shot (It adjusts on the fly in auto).  No filters just the stock one that comes on the lens.

Cool,  Thanks!
2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

If you record with the Normal profile (& presumably other modes to be added later) you won't have any lens distortion.  If you are recording in the affected modes, then you are almost certainly doing work in post & applying lens correction at the same time is no big deal.

That is what people calling "fixed" so far.......it's a bad joke.
2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

What I'm trying to say here is You are not fitting 1 litter engine in 3 tons car.
SEE THE BIGGER PICTURE!!!!
2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-18 22:36
If your goal is recording parking lots I guess it sucks.  Fortunately most of the planet isn't painted with parallel lines.

The M2P has only been out for a few weeks. Hang tight things will get better.

I hope they will, let's wait till first FW update and have some beer
2018-9-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-9-18 18:22
SO..... D-Log is the key ingredient?   ish..... meaning a combo of pro settings......

Thanks Watch..... I think I was trying to say that.  And that it's still a great platform, even if you don't do much post processing.

It looks very good, thank you for sharing!
2018-9-18
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Stunning, thank you very much!
2018-9-18
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

simis Posted at 2018-9-18 22:39
I hope they will, let's wait till first FW update and have some beer

you are ranting a lot, for not even owning an m2p...
2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

UCBarkeeper Posted at 2018-9-18 22:55
you are ranting a lot, for not even owning an m2p...

Yes, i'm not a fanboy. But I don't want to buy something not working properly. just waiting for solution maybe DJI will come up one day...
2018-9-18
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

yeah, i hope they add a dlog for newbs mode.
and of course a lens correction profile, but i don't think that this will satisfy your needs

2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

UCBarkeeper Posted at 2018-9-18 23:12
yeah, i hope they add a dlog for newbs mode.
and of course a lens correction profile, but i don't think that this will satisfy your needs

It will, u can check my all post history. I will be off to shop to get one!
2018-9-18
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-18
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-18 23:19
I am one of the members that gives DJI a lot of cr@p for their behaviour sometiumes BUT I do not understand what the fuss is about correcting distortion in post... DLOG offers 10 BIt (1Billion colors gamut) and it is meant for users that understand colour grading! The same users know how to apply a 10sec horizon correction fix creating a preset... I have the impression that the majority here wants to just apply a LUT without having to work deeper in the final product. So listen up folks, shoot in normal profile, apply -1 contrast and your LUT will work just fine

Post #23 shows how this professional fix looks like(the guy calls at least that a fix), so imagine how the buildings will look with plenty of straight lines... i can get other screen shots from other professional "fixes" if you want.
2018-9-18
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-18
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-18 23:33
If you are a noob, you should avoid DLOG. The latest flat profile is to be able to grade footage at PRO level (the Phantom Pro 4 uses 8bit) the normal profiles in the M2P work amazingly, the image is very pleasing and with rich colours... also you can do basic color grade without any serious issues (the Spark had no flat profile and could still be usuable with any LUT).

If you are a noob, you should know that colorgrading and Lens distortion is two different things.......
2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

Because DJI told you so doesn't mean it's true......
2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

And yes, I have tried that, fixes 3/4 off distortion.
2018-9-18
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

DLOG has distortion issues. PERIOD. Only with DJI products. All other camera makers gives you an option to fix that on camera or in post with lens correction profile provided. PERIOD
2018-9-19
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Exactly, distortion happens only on a format that requires post processing...so you fix in post in 2 seconds.  For those claiming its not a full fix - STOP USING THE BILLY KYLE PRESET.That isn't a fix, he hasnt got a clue how to do it and looking at cark park lines from above isn't how you do it.  Use the film poets fix which is done correctly by using the same correction profile DJI use themselves for the Normal style.

As for the rest, an engineer has replied and confirmed they DONT do line skipping but a form of raw averaging so crashes another myth.

And the "its obsolete they dont use all the sensor for 4k" is nonsense.  Thats hard, really hard on a tiny  camera with limited cooling.

Canon cant manage it on their EOS R (all 4k is cropped like the DJI HQ mode) and that camera is so obsolete its not even out yet.

2018-9-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules