Questions on Landing the Mavic 2 Pro
3443 7 2018-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cammot53
lvl.2
Flight distance : 115827 ft
United States

I am new to drone flying and taken the bold leap with the Mavic 2 Pro.  I've read and watched lots of tutorials and for the most part its worked well.  I've flown just two brief times and have a couple of questions.

1. After flying and returning home I've used the RTH button to automatically navigate the drone back to its original take off position. On the first occassion, it worked resonalbly well and landed about three feet from the original take off spot. The second time to day, flew a further distance, but on the RTH - the drone land almost 15 feet away from the orignal Take off spot and on a rough stoney patch that caused the drone to fall off badly, but thanks there was no damage.  So the question - How do I calibrate or set up to get a more exact RTH spot.

2. During this rough landing above, there was absolutely no way for me to stop or control the drone after I had hit the RTH.  Even if I tried the joy sticks would not respond, as it was attempting the RTH landing.  Question, is there another method to land the drone - softly and gently, other than using the TRH button.

3. This is question on how to turn the drone off !.  I had an opportunity to hand catch the drone when it was about to land, and could have done so safetly.  But I am finding the drone does not switch off easily !.  I've tried and struggled a couple of times before its switches off - what is the proper way to switch it off.

Thanks.

2018-9-18
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

In reply to your questions above:

1) If you wait until the Mavic is connected to 10+ GPS satellites before taking off, the auto landing should be more accurate.

2) You cannot control how the Mavic touches down if it's auto landing. If you want full control, then press and release the RTH button on the front of the remote controller quickly to cancel RTH when you're ready to take control of the landing.

3) Press the power button quickly and release it -- and then press and hold it for a few seconds. You can practice that power on/off procedure while your Mavic is sitting on the ground.
2018-9-18
Use props
cammot53
lvl.2
United States

msinger Posted at 2018-9-18 12:21
In reply to your questions above:

1) If you wait until the Mavic is connected to 10+ GPS satellites before taking off, the auto landing should be more accurate.

Thanks very much.  Just brief follow up questions.

I like the idea of waiting for 10+ GPS satellites before take off - what is the minimum of satellites to observe on the RC before take off, and does one always get 10 satellites ?.

Secondly, when taking full control for landing - does the bottom sensors not prevent the touch down ?.  How does one execute a soft and perfect landing in full control ?.

I have read about people suggesting a 'hand catch' landing, where they gently grab the bottom of the drone safely enough, if that's possible !. In such an event, how does one shut of the propellers from spinning, if its not switched off ?

Thanks

2018-9-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

cammot53 Posted at 2018-9-18 12:39

I like the idea of waiting for 10+ GPS satellites before take off - what is the minimum of satellites to observe on the RC before take off, and does one always get 10 satellites ?.

When drone reaches above the homepoint, just press the X , you will then be prompted if you want to stop RTH , just press yes, and aircraft will just hover in place and you will be back in control, as msinger said practice will have you flying home manually in no time.
Good luck.
2018-9-18
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Germany

And for the landing, to be 100% sure where you land and how slow it lands, do it manually. Stopping the props when hand catching goes the same as manual landing. If you catch the drone, pull the downward stick down, so to say, you have to lower the drone when it is already landed. The drone will notice it is not lowering anymore/the downward sensors will see it is landed. Then the props will shut down automatically.
The best is to practise this a few times before you try to hand catch. Just start your drone, press the upward-stick up. Now the drone will go up, as soon as it goes up, release the stick. Now yo your drone will hover at about 0.5/1 meter high. Now pull the downward-stick down, it will wait a few seconds, and then it will land. When it is landed, keep pulling the stick, now the props will shut down
2018-9-18
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

cammot53 Posted at 2018-9-18 12:39

I like the idea of waiting for 10+ GPS satellites before take off - what is the minimum of satellites to observe on the RC before take off, and does one always get 10 satellites ?.

For flying in general, you should not take off until the home point has been marked. That should happen once the Mavic's internal GPS receiver is connected to 6+ satellites.

The bottom sensors will prevent a manual touch down if the Landing Protection setting is enabled in DJI GO. Disable that setting if you want to be able to manually descend until the Mavic touches the ground.

When hand catching, you can quickly stop the props by tilting the Mavic forward (down toward the ground) 90+ degrees.
2018-9-18
Use props
cammot53
lvl.2
United States

GhostWolf010 Posted at 2018-9-18 13:07
And for the landing, to be 100% sure where you land and how slow it lands, do it manually. Stopping the props when hand catching goes the same as manual landing. If you catch the drone, pull the downward stick down, so to say, you have to lower the drone when it is already landed. The drone will notice it is not lowering anymore/the downward sensors will see it is landed. Then the props will shut down automatically.
The best is to practise this a few times before you try to hand catch. Just start your drone, press the upward-stick up. Now the drone will go up, as soon as it goes up, release the stick. Now yo your drone will hover at about 0.5/1 meter high. Now pull the downward-stick down, it will wait a few seconds, and then it will land. When it is landed, keep pulling the stick, now the props will shut down

Thanks - this is all good information.  I don't think 'hand catching' is a good practice, because there is a risk of bodily harm (fingers) - I would only attempt it in an absolute emergency.

I will try and do the manual landing on the ground and see how that goes.

Thanks.
2018-9-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. Please see the details below for suggestions in regards to your queries.

* Please ensure that the IMU and compass are well calibrated, you can check the GPS if it's strong enough and let the aircraft hover for an at least 30sec-1 minute to coordinate with the Home point accurately. Kindly let us know if it's still the same.
* You can still control the aircraft while the drone is on the process of Smart RTH, however, the connection between the RC and AC might be interrupted if in any case that the signal experience an interference. I would recommend flying in an open area.
* Please carefully press the power button once and then press and hold it again to turn off the aircraft.

Kindly let us know if the issue will persist.
2018-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules