797 7 2018-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JeanV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1490663 ft
South Africa

[size=14.6667px]Hi Guys,

[size=14.6667px]We do a lot of Camping and off-road driving in off-the-grid places. The previous MP car charger required something like 13v to charge which meant it only charged while you are driving and the alternator is supplying the right amount of V's. This was quite a nuisance. Is it the same with the new M2 Car charger? Or must I use my 220V inverter and normal charger? Car charger is almost useless if this is the case....

[size=14.6667px]Regards
[size=14.6667px]JeanV
2018-9-19
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
United States

in my case, the car charger worked even if the engine was not running.
2018-9-19
Use props
JeanV
lvl.1
South Africa

Wow, mine definitely not.  I had to have the car running.  A full 12.8V battery would not charge it. And it was not the battery.  I have 3 x 105a batteries in my car (overlanding 4x4) and none would get the charger to kick in; only when I plugged it into the main battery whilst the car was running or one of the others when the solar system was charging it.  The voltage must be close to 14v to have it charge.....   
2018-9-19
Use props
Chumley
lvl.3
Flight distance : 480774 ft
Australia

Correct. You have to have the engine running otherwise the car charger just sits there giving the occasional blink. Very annoying as it was one of the reasons I bought the Fly More kit. Now I have to buy a DC to DC converter or an inverter to charge from the car.
2018-9-19
Use props
JeanV
lvl.1
South Africa

I have "permanently" mounted the charger in my Solar system in the 4x4.  I have 14V as long as the sun shines; this will be ok for me and I don't need the engine running...
2018-10-1
Use props
fans1c8cab6a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66 ft
Spain

I tried to use it on my boat (it has two 12v 80ah car batteries). With the 220v ground power line charging the batteries, my 12v plug was giving out 13.9v and the Mavic 2 car charger was constantly cycling on/off. It did charge all three batteries in the end, but I wonder if it is a healthy situation for them? When motoring the situation was the same - green light on the charger and on the battery kept going on and off. I think it refused to charge from idle battery, but I don't remember. The rating on the charger says "Input 14v", so it is definitely higher than the standard 12v.  A healthy car battery gives 12.6v, charges at 13v. I am NOT happy with this DJI charger. A cheap 12v to 220v invertor + wall charger do a better job!!!
2018-10-12
Use props
dronespilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

It works so well for me. I use it on a Honda and the car must be running to charge it. But I plug it and it takes about 50 mins or so to fully charge a battery from around 25-30%
2019-3-4
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

On my older MP, I use a 135amh battery on a trolley for remote work (and when flying model aircraft). I have put an 18amp 12v to 13.8v adapter/converter in it so I have a cig socket with a constant 13.8v output, since the "car charger" only works above 12.7 volts (which happens to be the voltage of a fully charged car battery at rest).  
Works fantastic and charges the batteries faster than the wall charger.  You can just get the converter itself and fit a cig plug to the input and cig socket the output to make it portable too.

Looks like this:
2019-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules