Would you pay for "Pro" DJI Go? -- Read Below before voting!!!
12Next >
2769 45 2018-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
carlpfranger
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765151 ft

I know many of us have asked for extra features from the spark, but we also know this is not productive for DJI's business model. (they only make money selling you a new drone) I personally have owned a Phantom FC40, Vision+, Phantom 3 Pro (still have) and now a Spark.  There are many features I wish DJI added to my P3P that I know they could have, but never wanted too.
I also wish they would add some features to the spark.  There are a number of things that would be nice, and the hardware is totally able to handle:

-- Timelaps / Hyperlaps
-- POI
-- Waypoints
-- Shutter Speed or any camera settings
-- HDR
-- HDR Pano
So the question: If paying was the only way to get these features, and the alternitive is to never get them...  Is there a market for DJI to make money off us by developing extra features we would pay for almost like an accessory.  Free DJI Go, Then DJI GO Pro for Spark 20 dollars?    What do you think?  Did I miss a feature you know the Spark could haddle?

Single SelectVote, Total 79 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

48.10% (38)
46.84% (37)
5.06% (4)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-9-19
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would rather not have to pay for new features. I already paid a premium price for my aircraft.
However, I understand there are development costs they have to cover with each new drone that comes out and there will be some kind of development cost involved in testing new features on old hardware, assuming the old hardware has some kind of support for the newer feature. The main issue is money, by porting new features down to older hardware wouldn't benefit DJI as it would mean a customer could buy a lower cost drone and perhaps pay a tiny costs for a software add=on and end up with a cheaper drone with the same feature support as the newer more expensive model.
2018-9-19
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-9-19 04:30
I would rather not have to pay for new features. I already paid a premium price for my aircraft.
However, I understand there are development costs they have to cover with each new drone that comes out and there will be some kind of development cost involved in testing new features on old hardware, assuming the old hardware has some kind of support for the newer feature. The main issue is money, by porting new features down to older hardware wouldn't benefit DJI as it would mean a customer could buy a lower cost drone and perhaps pay a tiny costs for a software add=on and end up with a cheaper drone with the same feature support as the newer more expensive model.

Correct Malakai, so if we expect any new features we clearly have to pay for it.  That being said I am not too concerned about people going down to cheaper hardware and paying the up charge for the software.  The cameras on all new drowns have much better lens and sensors, so they will always be better.   Also I just made up the price for 20 dollars as a conversation starter... There is a magic price that only DJI would know, that would allow them to profit.  They most likely would price such software so that they would make more money off us if we got the pro app then buying a new drown.   This situation would actually be a win win... even with them making more profit then selling us a new drown as we would inevitably spend less money then buying a new drown.
2018-9-19
Use props
MarkMN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 77100 ft
United States

DJI already supports an official SDK for people developing their own apps. Most if not all of what you want is already available with 3rd party software.

As far as shutter speed and camera settings, shutter speed and iso can already be set. What's lacking is an adjustable aperture, but that can't be fixed with a software update.

The one thing I do wish they would add is the ability to save the raw format for the photos. That would allow better white balance adjustment and limited HDR.
2018-9-19
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

MarkMN Posted at 2018-9-19 06:40
DJI already supports an official SDK for people developing their own apps. Most if not all of what you want is already available with 3rd party software.

As far as shutter speed and camera settings, shutter speed and iso can already be set. What's lacking is an adjustable aperture, but that can't be fixed with a software update.

Hey Mark,

Yes, they have an Official SDK, but many of these items are not in the official SDK for the Spark.   But the real point is...

-- DJI will not add anymore features to the Spark due to a lack of profit for them
-- If we want more features we will need to pay for them.  You reenforced this by saying you can buy them in third party apps.

I believe DJI would be better at making these adaptations, but just like those third party developers... we are going to need to pay for it.
2018-9-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, We perfectly understand your concern. Some features cannot be applied on Spark due to the capability of this or it might not be compatible. Other features are simply made for other aircraft as well, any suggestion that we received in the forum has to be forwarded to our engineers for consideration, however, we cannot be guaranteed if this would be possible to the drone and the application.
2018-9-19
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-19 09:21
Hi, We perfectly understand your concern. Some features cannot be applied on Spark due to the capability of this or it might not be compatible. Other features are simply made for other aircraft as well, any suggestion that we received in the forum has to be forwarded to our engineers for consideration, however, we cannot be guaranteed if this would be possible to the drone and the application.

Hey Tony, Thanks so much for your reply I understand you can take suggestions, but can't promise they are implemented in the next app release.  We all know this and even understand it takes lots of time to make the features.

The point of this post was to see how many others out here agree that these features take a high  level of effort, and would be willing to pay DJI to have a Pro version of DJI that made these functions available.  As of now while not that many people have voted in the post, it is leaning to many would be willing to pay DJI extra money.      
2018-9-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sounds feasible   
2018-9-23
Use props
wimherman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 208556 ft
Norway

I rather pay some extra for an DJI Go pro app than installing some 3th party sofware. I am too caring for my Sparky.. Only the original parts and accessoiries allowed ;-)
2018-9-24
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

wimherman Posted at 2018-9-24 02:13
I rather pay some extra for an DJI Go pro app than installing some 3th party sofware. I am too caring for my Sparky.. Only the original parts and accessoiries allowed ;-)

I agree.  Also since DJI made the Spark the would be the best equipped add the functions.
2018-9-25
Use props
driverman930
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93865 ft
United States

3rd party apps work good just have to find the right one
2018-9-26
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

driverman930 Posted at 2018-9-26 13:04
3rd party apps work good just have to find the right one

Interesting, but just looking at your post you are implying that many 3ed Party Apps don't work as well due to the fact that you need to "find the right one".

Also Third party apps are often limited to the functions DJI allows from the APIs in the SDK.  For example, the native waypoints functions is not support in API for the Spark.

https://developer.dji.com/api-re ... aypointmission&i=0&
2018-9-26
Use props
Johnny C!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44839 ft
United States

I would be more willing to look at 3rd party apps, if it was
clear that they wouldn't data mine my phone/tablets like
G0 4 does.

John
2018-9-26
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

Honestly I worked my ass of to buy the spark and I don't thin I could even pay a penny on this drone for a while. I would love some new features but I imagine they come at a cost.
2018-9-26
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3
United States

H. Arif - 6IX Posted at 2018-9-26 18:01
Honestly I worked my ass of to buy the spark and I don't thin I could even pay a penny on this drone for a while. I would love some new features but I imagine they come at a cost.

I agree.  Even with it being the lowest cost DJI drone, it's still not a cheap by any standard.  I just don't see them adding the new features without some extra incentive.  
2018-9-28
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

carlpfranger Posted at 2018-9-28 11:34
I agree.  Even with it being the lowest cost DJI drone, it's still not a cheap by any standard.  I just don't see them adding the new features without some extra incentive.

Exactly, mine just lost connection and I don't even know where it currently is, Hopefully DJI will provide me with anew one or I'll probably end up selling the extras.
2018-9-28
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>

No. I'd not pay for them - nor want them. The DJI Spark I think is an entry level drone for DJI.  Some of the features on your list are available on their new drones, if I was going to pay, it would be to invest in a newer drone with the corresponding hardware.
Chris
2018-9-29
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

ChrisJG Posted at 2018-9-29 02:55
No. I'd not pay for them - nor want them. The DJI Spark I think is an entry level drone for DJI.  Some of the features on your list are available on their new drones, if I was going to pay, it would be to invest in a newer drone with the corresponding hardware.
Chris

Totally understand you might not want to, but the nice part of a Pro app is you would not need to!  People who want the extra features could pay an extra 20 dollars and get them, or you could save your 20 dollars for your next drone.

2018-9-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I don't see the point of paying for the software that's needed to operate the product? If the price point is high as we see on most quality drones then that should be based in the selling price, if the company is going to charge for the software features then conversely they should lower the selling price on the product.

Economies of scale and scope can benefit the company, and this can make them more profitable especially when you take into account unlocking new software features that can increase exponentially. Don't charge an arm and a leg for a product then turnaround and require more money to utilize the premium features of a drone. Either include everything and charge the premium included in the selling price, or lower the price commensurate with the cost required to unlock the premium features.
2018-9-30
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-9-30 10:51
I don't see the point of paying for the software that's needed to operate the product? If the price point is high as we see on most quality drones then that should be based in the selling price, if the company is going to charge for the software features then conversely they should lower the selling price on the product.

Economies of scale and scope can benefit the company, and this can make them more profitable especially when you take into account unlocking new software features that can increase exponentially. Don't charge an arm and a leg for a product then turnaround and require more money to utilize the premium features of a drone. Either include everything and charge the premium included in the selling price, or lower the price commensurate with the cost required to unlock the premium features.

I agree with much of what you said.  It's worth pointing out that the Spark "might" be the reduced price drone you are talking about.

for example:
Spark 299
Mavic Air 799
Mavic Pro 999
Phantom 4 Pro 1299

Also, at this point we are not talking about DJI releasing software to control the drone... but go back 2 years later after it's initial release and create new functions that never had been created for it in the first place.  
2018-9-30
Use props
Mark S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41801 ft
United States

The idea of a paid app would put you at a price point for some additional features somewhere in between the "standard" feature set and the next model up.  For me I would pay something so my Spark could do waypoints and hyperlapse photos.  Of course I could pay to get waypoints by purchasing Litchi which I have considered but then I would not get any support from DJI if I had trouble.  I would like to have one of the new Mavic 2 models but I cannot justify the price just as a hobby machine.  A $25-$50 add on for my Spark would be of interest to me.
2018-9-30
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

Mark S Posted at 2018-9-30 18:35
The idea of a paid app would put you at a price point for some additional features somewhere in between the "standard" feature set and the next model up.  For me I would pay something so my Spark could do waypoints and hyperlapse photos.  Of course I could pay to get waypoints by purchasing Litchi which I have considered but then I would not get any support from DJI if I had trouble.  I would like to have one of the new Mavic 2 models but I cannot justify the price just as a hobby machine.  A $25-$50 add on for my Spark would be of interest to me.

Thanks Mark!  I am hoping this might motivate DJI to add some features to the Spark.  Officially supported functions will always be the best option.   I really do believe many users would pay DJI for them too!
2018-10-1
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

My take on this... a "pro" app that gave some of the features that 3rd parties already develop would theoretically not invalidate warranty.  And for that reason alone, I would spend the $20.  I would love to try Litchi and a few others, but I cannot until my warranty/care period expires  (unless I want to take the risk, I dont).  So, it would be a good option to add some features which did not void my existing investment in after sales support.

I already plan to eventually upgrade to a more premium product, presumably DJI's, but that wont be for some time.  This woud be good incentive for me to stay with the brand.

2018-10-1
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

carlpfranger Posted at 2018-9-30 16:27
I agree with much of what you said.  It's worth pointing out that the Spark "might" be the reduced price drone you are talking about.

for example:

In my post, I wasn't speaking about DJI per say. Companies that charge for locked features shouldn't require consumers to pay a premium while charging for software features that unlock the full potential of the drone. If you buy a product and the box describes its capabilities but does not mention the hidden additional cost of the software feature then that's faulty marketing.

In the case of DJI, I own the Spark and Mavic Pro, I'm happy to say the Spark can perform 80% of the Mavic Pro features. I think the Spark is a good example of a high quality drone at an affordable price point, and it can replicate the special flight features found on more expensive drones. At $399, which includes the remote controller, the Spark is an aerial drone that can take excellent stabilized video and it can fly fast at 31mph as well as fly far of up to 1.2 miles, and it has a flight time of 16 minutes. Sometimes I find on some of my flights my Spark can even outperform my Mavic Pro, although that doesn't happen all too often.
2018-10-1
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

Northwood Posted at 2018-10-1 11:39
My take on this... a "pro" app that gave some of the features that 3rd parties already develop would theoretically not invalidate warranty.  And for that reason alone, I would spend the $20.  I would love to try Litchi and a few others, but I cannot until my warranty/care period expires  (unless I want to take the risk, I dont).  So, it would be a good option to add some features which did not void my existing investment in after sales support.

I already plan to eventually upgrade to a more premium product, presumably DJI's, but that wont be for some time.  This woud be good incentive for me to stay with the brand.

I am not as concerned about the warranty thing myself.  I personally feel like it comes down to...

You trust the 3ed party developer entirely, and in this case it should not matter if it's under warranty or not, or you don't trust them.  I don't trust 3ed party apps  since DJI does not allow many of the features they advertise in their official SDK. If it's not in the official SDK ...  then they need to come up with a round about way to enable something, and this is how I think you run into problems.  
2018-10-4
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

DJI is just lazy, maybe they will enable waypoints/poi in Go4 App for Spark at some point.
I mainly use Litchi by now.
It starts faster, has more features and has decent support.
2018-10-4
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

carlpfranger Posted at 2018-10-4 06:47
I am not as concerned about the warranty thing myself.  I personally feel like it comes down to...

You trust the 3ed party developer entirely, and in this case it should not matter if it's under warranty or not, or you don't trust them.  I don't trust 3ed party apps  since DJI does not allow many of the features they advertise in their official SDK. If it's not in the official SDK ...  then they need to come up with a round about way to enable something, and this is how I think you run into problems.

Well, as the experience of flying is a combination of software and hardware, whilst I get your point, fact remains, I paid for warranty coverage, so I will not eopardize that regardless of what fails.  I would love to use something with a better feature set, I just have to wait it out.  Do I totally trust the hardware? Perhaps not, or why would they offer such a great warranty/replacement program?
2018-10-4
Use props
Khal Drono
New
Flight distance : 7618 ft
United Kingdom

All I'd like are the ability to save in RAW formats and to be able to change the frame rate.
2018-10-4
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

Khal Drono Posted at 2018-10-4 09:27
All I'd like are the ability to save in RAW formats and to be able to change the frame rate.

Nice points.
2018-10-10
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

NO .. I already paid for the hardware and for them to purposely use extra man-hours to 'cripple' features  in software then want us to pay more to unlock them.. no thanks..

2018-10-10
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 2018-10-10 06:29
NO .. I already paid for the hardware and for them to purposely use extra man-hours to 'cripple' features  in software then want us to pay more to unlock them.. no thanks..

How do you know they crippled it as opposed to never built them?  I personally don't know one way or another.   

2018-10-10
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Canada

carlpfranger Posted at 2018-10-10 06:53
How do you know they crippled it as opposed to never built them?  I personally don't know one way or another.

There's a 4k sensor in the Spark, some of the stabilization comes from dumbing that down to 1080...  some have argued we should have a 2.7k option, but then there's the bitrate to consider.
2018-10-10
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

Northwood Posted at 2018-10-10 07:17
There's a 4k sensor in the Spark, some of the stabilization comes from dumbing that down to 1080...  some have argued we should have a 2.7k option, but then there's the bitrate to consider.

I have heard that too, but don't think 2.7k is possible.   4k gives you around 4000 pixels vs around 1k for 1080p.  This gives you ~50% buffer left and right...   if you only allow the yaw of the "virtual gimbal" ~20  degrees you could easily use that lateral  buffer.
2018-10-10
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

No.  Your presumption is that the hardware in the Spark could hand any or all of these options in addition to the half dozen simultaneous operations currently in play.   If you want those functions, purchase the next aircraft up the list, hopefully after you've gotten quite a few flight hours on your Spark.
Maybe the rumored Spark Pro 2 will have faster processors and will be able to handle more of a load ;-)
2018-10-10
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

WebParrot Posted at 2018-10-10 19:45
No.  Your presumption is that the hardware in the Spark could hand any or all of these options in addition to the half dozen simultaneous operations currently in play.   If you want those functions, purchase the next aircraft up the list, hopefully after you've gotten quite a few flight hours on your Spark.
Maybe the rumored Spark Pro 2 will have faster processors and will be able to handle more of a load ;-)

Correct.  I do believe it can handle those options with it's current hardware.

-- Timelaps / Hyperlaps  (this is mostly a function of the software on the tablet)
-- POI  (the hardware can handle this since in "follow me" it can pivot around the subject)
-- Waypoints  (This was recently updated in the SDK and is how 3ed party apps use it)
-- Shutter Speed or any camera settings  (Changing color profile or shutter speed is capable of current hardware)
-- HDR ( The camera already does EB shots, so HDR should not be an issue)
-- HDR pano  (this is just adding anther two photos to each of the pano shots)

I do understand there are limitations... ie I don't think the hardware can handle 2.7k due to the limications of it's virtual third accsess gimble.
2018-10-11
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

carlpfranger Posted at 2018-10-11 10:51
Correct.  I do believe it can handle those options with it's current hardware.

-- Timelaps / Hyperlaps  (this is mostly a function of the software on the tablet)

Its already happening.. from what I have been reading.. since DJI opened their developers program and allowed third party software development.. I think you are going to see DJI get schooled on just how limited their App software is.

additionally, the non sanctioned firmware crowd seems to get these platforms to dance to a different tune than DJI intended ... so did the engineers at DJI make the choices they did because of user experience and hardware limitations or did marketing and the bean counters make them for profit motive...

I don't think it take a rocket scientist or drone pilot to figure that one out.....
2018-10-14
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 2018-10-14 07:10
Its already happening.. from what I have been reading.. since DJI opened their developers program and allowed third party software development.. I think you are going to see DJI get schooled on just how limited their App software is.

additionally, the non sanctioned firmware crowd seems to get these platforms to dance to a different tune than DJI intended ... so did the engineers at DJI make the choices they did because of user experience and hardware limitations or did marketing and the bean counters make them for profit motive...

I guess it's important to point out the these third party apps are only able do add the functions DJI build into their SDK. So every time we see a third party implement a new function like waypoints it's because DJI made updates to the programing environment...

So you are saying DJI got schooled by Litchi when DJI made Waypoints for Litchi?
2018-10-15
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

carlpfranger Posted at 2018-10-15 07:30
I guess it's important to point out the these third party apps are only able do add the functions DJI build into their SDK. So every time we see a third party implement a new function like waypoints it's because DJI made updates to the programing environment...

So you are saying DJI got schooled by Litchi when DJI made Waypoints for Litchi?

so you are telling me that DJI GO 4 iOS for spark has waypoint navigation...

show me....

2018-10-15
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.3

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 2018-10-15 08:30
so you are telling me that DJI GO 4 iOS for spark has waypoint navigation...

show me....

Third party apps are only able do add the functions DJI build into their SDK.    This is documented in other places on this site.
"This version of the SDK introduces support for the DJI Phantom 4 V2.0, Zenmuse XT2 thermal camera, Payload SDK, and missions forSpark (Follow Me, Hotpoint, and Waypoint). SDK 4.6 is revised for the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). The privacy policy is also updated according to the GDPR. Please refer to the release notes for the full list of changes."   -- https://forum.dji.com/thread-155155-1-1.html

"waypoint and orbit NOW supported in current litchi beta version"  -- https://forum.dji.com/thread-155155-1-1.html

If DJI did not build it in the SDK... third party apps can't use it... This is why this functionallity came later, they needed to wait for DJI to add the support.

2018-10-15
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
United States

carlpfranger Posted at 2018-10-15 08:44
Third party apps are only able do add the functions DJI build into their SDK.    This is documented in other places on this site.
"This version of the SDK introduces support for the DJI Phantom 4 V2.0, Zenmuse XT2 thermal camera, Payload SDK, and missions forSpark (Follow Me, Hotpoint, and Waypoint). SDK 4.6 is revised for the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). The privacy policy is also updated according to the GDPR. Please refer to the release notes for the full list of changes."   -- https://forum.dji.com/thread-155155-1-1.html

so to recap

DJI GO 4 app for spark can't do it.. copy
likely never will either....

and just because a developer releases as SDK doesn't mean that they are the only functions available.. an SDK is only a basket of tools..(might include pre made functions). its how the tools are used that makes the final capability.. and a programmer can interface with devices below the SDK level if the base system is not completely locked down..

I have a masters in software engineering...

and that is why 3rd party developers are able to get mavic like functions like heading mode and new features like VR FPV and waypoints...   etc etc
2018-10-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules