Mavic 2 PRO camera sensor physical dimensions
26390 11 2018-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

All official documents only mention 1" sensor while I would like to know exact effective width and height.

I suspect 1" = 15.9mm, instead of 25.4mm diagonal for some reason.

2018-9-20
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. The physical width of the camera sensor is 13.2x8.8mm.
2018-9-20
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>

Considering the given sizes, whats the corelation to 1inch here ?

2018-9-20
Use props
Maveric
lvl.3
Flight distance : 377244 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

it's complicated....  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Im ... _area_of_the_sensor

Pertinent extract:
Sensor sizes are expressed in inches notation because at the time of the popularization of digital image sensors they were used to replace video camera tubes. The common 1" circular video camera tubes had a rectangular photo sensitive area about 16 mm diagonal, so a digital sensor with a 16 mm diagonal size was a 1" video tube equivalent. The name of a 1" digital sensor should more accurately be read as "one inch video camera tube equivalent" sensor. Current digital image sensor size descriptors are the video camera tube equivalency size, not the actual size of the sensor. For example, a 1" sensor has a diagonal measurement of 16 mm.[27][28]

I think all camera manufacturers, not just DJI, are happy to take advantage of this out-dated naming convention to make it sound like the sensors are bigger than they actually are.
2018-9-20
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>

Thank you Maveric
2018-9-20
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106093 ft
France

This is interesting, I also thought that 1" was the diagonal of the sensor...

I created this table with the size of different sensors, it put things in perspective:

sensor_sizes.png
2018-9-20
Use props
RickM39
lvl.2
United States

So, a full frame "35mm" sensor is 36mm wide, but a one inch sensor is .519" wide.

And the portion of the sensor being used for HQ mode is .364" X .233", or roughly 3/8 X 1/4.

Not faulting DJI for calling a 1/2" sensor a one inch sensor as Sony does the same for their products.

It does explain how a one inch sensor fits into the M2P camera, not quite the marvel that it seemed at first.

The sensor size naming convention makes no sense either. Could you imagine going to a hardware store and asking for a 1/3.8" drill bit?

Who else uses fractions in that manner?

That being said the M2P takes great images. Not unhappy with its performance at all.

2018-9-20
Use props
Arial Foto
lvl.2
United States

What are the true pixel specs of the physical sensor?  I have seen several Web sites state that the sensor is 5,544 x 3,694 pixels (~20.48 megapixels, at just over 3:2 aspect).  DJI’s official specs do not mention sensor pixels but state their still photo specs (for 3:2) as 5,472 x 3,648 (~19.96 megapixels, at exactly 3:2 aspect).  I haven’t verified, but I assume that for 16:9 stills the image is 5,472 x 3,078.
I ask because I am putting some detailed specs into a camera modeling and calculation app, and trying to define as accurate a model of FOV and exposure area as possible.  If the sensor at 13.2mm x 8.8mm (ø15.9mm) has 5,544x3,694 pixels as some sites have stated, but the full 3:2 image spec is 5,472x3,648, then either, (1) the actual exposure area is cropped and not using the full sensor area (more like 97–98% of it); or, (2) some sort of digital reduction is taking place (pixel binning, etc).  I would hope it is #1, for reasons of image clarity and perhaps reduction of edge distortion or vignetting.  And it is also possible that the other sites are incorrect and got the 5,544x3,694 from a bad source.

Anyone?

Thanks!

2018-9-28
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106093 ft
Belgium

I don't have the final answer, but the pictures taken with the Mavic 2 Pro are 5,464 x 3,640 pixels. Is it the full sensor, I don't know, but the sensor has at least this number of pixels.
2018-9-28
Use props
Streetmagus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1398376 ft
United States

Sensor sizes are expressed in inches notation because at the time of the popularization of digital image sensors they were used to replace video camera tubes. The common 1" circular video camera tubes had a rectangular photo sensitive area about 16 mm diagonal, so a digital sensor with a 16 mm diagonal size was a 1" video tube equivalent. The name of a 1" digital sensor should more accurately be read as "one inch video camera tube equivalent" sensor. Current digital image sensor size descriptors are the video camera tube equivalency size, not the actual size of the sensor. For example, a 1" sensor has a diagonal measurement of 16 mm.[27][28]

Sizes are often expressed as a fraction of an inch, with a one in the numerator, and a decimal number in the denominator. For example, 1/2.5 converts to 2/5 as a simple fraction, or 0.4 as a decimal number. This "inch" system brings a result approximately 1.5 times the length of the diagonal of the sensor. This "optical format" measure goes back to the way image sizes of video cameras used until the late 1980s were expressed, referring to the outside diameter of the glass envelope of the video camera tube. David Pogue of The New York Times states that "the actual sensor size is much smaller than what the camera companies publish – about one-third smaller." For example, a camera advertising a 1/2.7" sensor does not have a sensor with a diagonal of 0.37"; instead, the diagonal is closer to 0.26".[29][30][31] Instead of "formats", these sensor sizes are often called types, as in "1/2-inch-type CCD."
2018-9-29
Use props
MikeHughesNLT
New
United States

Arial Foto Posted at 2018-9-28 03:36
What are the true pixel specs of the physical sensor?  I have seen several Web sites state that the sensor is 5,544 x 3,694 pixels (~20.48 megapixels, at just over 3:2 aspect).  DJI’s official specs do not mention sensor pixels but state their still photo specs (for 3:2) as 5,472 x 3,648 (~19.96 megapixels, at exactly 3:2 aspect).  I haven’t verified, but I assume that for 16:9 stills the image is 5,472 x 3,078.
I ask because I am putting some detailed specs into a camera modeling and calculation app, and trying to define as accurate a model of FOV and exposure area as possible.  If the sensor at 13.2mm x 8.8mm (ø15.9mm) has 5,544x3,694 pixels as some sites have stated, but the full 3:2 image spec is 5,472x3,648, then either, (1) the actual exposure area is cropped and not using the full sensor area (more like 97–98% of it); or, (2) some sort of digital reduction is taking place (pixel binning, etc).  I would hope it is #1, for reasons of image clarity and perhaps reduction of edge distortion or vignetting.  And it is also possible that the other sites are incorrect and got the 5,544x3,694 from a bad source.

Did you find the settings?  I am using Fusion 9 (Davici Resolve15) and the camera tracker node where I need to put in the film gate.  I am not sure what Fusion needs for the best settings for the solve algorithm.  These are the best settings I can surmize.... I could test but wonder if anyone has same issue.

settings in Fusion 9

settings in Fusion 9
2019-2-17
Use props
HiTcHy
lvl.2
United States

I'm enjoying all this info and would like some related info.  I have a M2P.  What I want to know is what is the formula for calculating the ground  (length of sides) of a pic taken at 400 feet with the camera pointed straight down?  Specifically, what are the dimensions of the rectangle: length of sides of ground in photo?  I'm aware of some distortion and also consider the height is based on the takeoff point.  I will then use the formula to calculate length of sides at various heights such as 200', 300', 350' and so on and if I want a certain dimension in the photo i'll calculate what height to go to.  As you can tell, I'm an idiot so draw me a picture please.
Thanks for your help and for pointing me in the right direction.
2021-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules