3910 55 2018-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Japan

drewhoover Posted at 2018-9-20 17:06
Your battery was not plugged in all the way. Before powering on the Spark, be sure to push it in until it clicks!!

Not only push the battery in...  You must pull the battery with considerable strength to see if it pops out !! This will ensure the battery is fit .
2018-9-21
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

wow,, nice photo,, if that takes on my Drone its game over,,
2018-9-21
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

JJBspark Posted at 2018-9-21 06:48
wow!!  what a great picture!!! omg, those claws ; happy i am not that little mouse he/she is after.....

yep, nice picture. Google pointed to it, with "Raptor" and in picture search ;-)
2018-9-21
Use props
nhadley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126266 ft
Australia

oh a bird? lol nah it wasn't a bird
2018-9-21
Use props
nhadley
lvl.2
Australia

Sidd Finch Posted at 2018-9-21 06:56
I am sorry to hear your drone took a dive.

I would suggest replying to the DJI e-mail and place your case number in the subject line of the e-mail and please ask for a status. In my experience DJI have been pretty helpful. I would also recommend that  yu refrain from going down the "I am really angry" route. My guess is that they get a ton or returns so it might be a matter of when you hit there queue.

Hi Sidd

I'm not angry, I'm more confused than anything really. But I sure will take this back to DJI and see what caused the problem. Thanks for the advice.
2018-9-21
Use props
nhadley
lvl.2
Australia

Tentoes Posted at 2018-9-21 07:29
Looks like it landed on its top.

Wonder what stopped two motors. Very odd. If it was attacked by a bird, you probably would have seen it and your thread would be, "Hawk killed my spark!"

Hi Tentoes

Yes it did land on it top, I'm surprised the 3d sensor and the gimble wasn't even cracked! but unfortunately it won't connect now, I'm thinking internal damage. I would of saw the bird hit the drone but that wasn't the case which is what's baffled me.

Thanks again
2018-9-21
Use props
nhadley
lvl.2
Australia

62+ Posted at 2018-9-21 07:36
Sorry for your loss.
Trust DJI replace your Spark soon.

Hi 62

Yes I hope so also, thanks.
2018-9-21
Use props
nhadley
lvl.2
Australia

H. Arif - 6IX Posted at 2018-9-21 07:47
DJI Gamora
DJI Steven
DJI Grace

Hi H

I will notify them , thanks so much
2018-9-21
Use props
nhadley
lvl.2
Australia

So I just sent DJI support my case email

Hi There

This email is going to have all my information regarding the incident and all relating documents needed.

Description of incident

I was flying my drone right above me and I heard the motors shut down and witnessed it fall out of the sky and made hard impact with the rocky surface. From the damage it looked like it landed on it's top side, 3 of the 4 props were attached but all snapped in half, the side casing of the battery was damaged but intact. I then went home to replace my props and battery and I tried to connect the RC with my Spark. RC had a solid red light and was not connecting with the drone, the drone had solid red lights also. I tried to go to camera mode through the app and it was just showing a black screen.

Date of Accident 20/9/2018
Time of Accident 6:10 pm
Location Mount Isa, Australia
Product Spark
Serial Number A0************
Telephone 043*******
Email normanhadley@hotmail.com  (prefered contact)

Attached this email are all my related documents and links regarding the malfunction.

Photos of drone after accident
Purchase receipt
Data screenshot of the blocked motors
Flight record screenshot of Drone at vertical position
Flight record screenshot of Motor Obstructed alert
Flight record txt file

Zip Files

DJI Flight Record Log
DJI Flight Record csv-verbose
DJI Flight Record KMZ
DJI Flight Record csv

DJI Forum Thread link https://forum.dji.com/thread-167023-1-1.html
YouTube video link -
Phantom help log viewer link - http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/WCTIT513RNN7SVLUDKAM/#

Additional information

Just to clear some things about the accident; A bird did not hit my drone, my battery was clicked in securely and did not fall out, flight record control sticks shows I did not accidentally manually shut off motors in mid flight. I have had the Spark for just over 3 weeks and is still under warranty. I owned the Phantom 3 Standard and never had any issues, I have been flying DJI drones for over 4 years.

I hope this information is helpful with the case and data analysis and to find what caused this type of error not only for me but for the rest of us DJI pilots. Please let me know if you need more information so I can get back in the air again.

Thanks so much
Norman Hadley
2018-9-22
Use props
nhadley
lvl.2
Australia

So I'm sending my drone to DJI and fingers crossed they will replace it with a new one.
2018-9-25
Use props
nhadley
lvl.2
Australia

So great news people
Screenshot_20181009-203430.png
2018-10-9
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Hi,

Good to hear you get your Sparky repaired or replaced.
Anyway, I'd strongly recommend to NOT fly near any sort of communication antenna stuff. These tower are high enough to ensure no persons nearby are being roasted when it transmits. They often transmit only sometimes and in short bursts. I think what happened possibly is the strong field emitted did disrupt (crash) 2 of the brushless controllers, and so Sparky turned off everything. It is not a battery problem, since it still recorded while falling. Keep away at least 50 meters from any electronic looking towers or antennas

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-10-9
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

agreed... if that is a microwave repeater or other high powered antenna... it can cook a human in seconds.. in the service we had a guy die working on a microwave dish that the host nation govt was supposed to have shut down.. took less than 15 seconds in front of that dish and it cooked his internal organs..

agreed it was not the batt.. it was transmitting as it went down

possible that a prop came apart since the aircraft departed controlled flight violently like an unbalanced thrust event.. if it had just shut down it would look less dramatic and just fall...
2018-10-9
Use props
nhadley
lvl.2
Australia

Wolferl Posted at 2018-10-9 05:58
Hi,

Good to hear you get your Sparky repaired or replaced.

Yup,

I'm no longer flying anywhere near towers at all , thanks for the advice
2018-10-9
Use props
nhadley
lvl.2
Australia

DeuceDriv3r Posted at 2018-10-9 10:29
agreed... if that is a microwave repeater or other high powered antenna... it can cook a human in seconds.. in the service we had a guy die working on a microwave dish that the host nation govt was supposed to have shut down.. took less than 15 seconds in front of that dish and it cooked his internal organs..

agreed it was not the batt.. it was transmitting as it went down

Sorry to hear that, what a way to go

Well I learned my lesson, no flying near towers
2018-10-9
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
First Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

drewhoover Posted at 2018-9-20 17:06
Your battery was not plugged in all the way. Before powering on the Spark, be sure to push it in until it clicks!!

If it was battery issue there would be no footage of the crash !
2021-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules