Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Autel Evo 4K60 vs M2Pro
12Next >
8018 58 2018-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raincast
Second Officer
Flight distance : 135633 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The new Autel Evo 4K60 packs a pretty decent punch for the $1000 price tag, including some desireables some people were hoping for in the M2P. Here's a quick summary of some of its features.

- 4K60, H.264/H.265 100mbps (2.7K60, 1080p120)
- 3.3 in OLED screen built into RC, 720p (no more phones/tablets)
- Authentech says NO Geo-fencing and NO forced updates
- 30 min flight time
- 94° FOV- 8x digital zoom (thanks, Alex B)- Intelligent flight modes- 2 front ultrasonic sensors, 2 bottom cameras, rear IR sensor
- Similar weight

It won't have the 1" sensor that the M2P has though.

https://www.autelrobotics.com/evo/

What do you guys think?

2018-9-20
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

I'm thinking about picking one up to go along with my M2P ,I like the no Geo fencing and no forced update  it also has a nice OLED  controller screen  and when it was first released Autel  worked best with Android mobile devices but I have heard they have had some issues with the batteries failing.  Competition is good for everyone.
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Kingram Posted at 2018-9-20 07:00
I'm thinking about picking one up to go along with my M2P ,I like the no Geo fencing and no forced update  it also has a nice OLED  controller screen  and when it was first released Autel  worked best with Android mobile devices but I have heard they have had some issues with the batteries failing.  Competition is good for everyone.

It's a pretty quirky timing for DJI to raise the price for its M2P and some accessories. I've been lucky to not have any issues with Android on the original Mavic Pro but I do read a bit of complaining in this forum regarding that.

Hope to see your content soon!
2018-9-20
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Definitely something to watch. Will be interesting to see what problems arise as the product matures.
2018-9-20
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Even though the Evo can shoot in 4K 60fps, the Mavic 2 has omni-obstacle avoidance, can travel much faster and farther while flying more stable.
2018-9-20
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Looks like a very nice drone.
That extra side sensors of the MP2 only work in Active track etc mode, so althouhg nice to have, I think a lot of experienced drone flyers don,t really need it often.

2018-9-20
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Paul_IA Posted at 2018-9-20 08:21
Definitely something to watch. Will be interesting to see what problems arise as the product matures.

Yeah, I'm not getting a new drone until next year so I'm in no rush to see what happens.
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-9-20 08:37
Even though the Evo can shoot in 4K 60fps, the Mavic 2 has omni-obstacle avoidance, can travel much faster and farther while flying more stable.

There are a few Youtubers who've tried it out and it seems pretty stable. It's got 2 front ultrasonic sensors, 2 bottom cameras and an IR sensor for backward flying. Cheers!
2018-9-20
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

United States

I think the Evo falls short in just about every way. The reviews have been mixed leaning in the direction of unfavorable.
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-20 09:13
Looks like a very nice drone.
That extra side sensors of the MP2 only work in Active track etc mode, so althouhg nice to have, I think a lot of experienced drone flyers don,t really need it often.

I honestly don't depend on the sensors since flying my Mavic indoors haha. They're actually pretty annoying indoors.
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-20 09:19
I’ve seen a review of Captain Drone with the common issues of the Evo and it seems that their horizon is tilted and cannot be leveled. I will stick to my distorted one lol

Hahah! Did you check out The Film Poets' M2P distortion correction file? It's free for download. Apparently, the tilted horizon was addressed by a firmware update.
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

SkinJob2501 Posted at 2018-9-20 09:28
I think the Evo falls short in just about every way. The reviews have been mixed leaning in the direction of unfavorable.

There's quite a few complaints in this forum with mixed responses as well haha
2018-9-20
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-20
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Raincast Posted at 2018-9-20 08:16
It's a pretty quirky timing for DJI to raise the price for its M2P and some accessories. I've been lucky to not have any issues with Android on the original Mavic Pro but I do read a bit of complaining in this forum regarding that.

Hope to see your content soon!

"I've been lucky to not have any issues with Android on the original Mavic Pro "
Which mobile device are you using ?
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-20 09:41
Good to know, it looks like a good drone, competition is always welcome!

Most definitely! All these drones have different advantages. We'll have to wait two years for the perfect 1", non-distorted, lens-swappable, 4k60 portable drone I guess... unless that Phantom 5 takes the cake.
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Kingram Posted at 2018-9-20 10:51
"I've been lucky to not have any issues with Android on the original Mavic Pro "
Which mobile device are you using ?

I'm using an S7 Edge. I haven't tried other phones or tablets.
2018-9-20
Use props
MagicRide
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

The biggest mistake Autel made was not to put out a 1" sensor. If they would have had that drone with a 1" sensor and the 60 fps that they already have, I would have bought one in a flash. I'm not afraid to say that the picture quality of the Autel Evo is outstanding and probably better than that of the M2P even as it is. I'm going to wait and hopefully the guys at Autel see the opportunity to make a killing on this market.
2018-9-20
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

United States

Raincast Posted at 2018-9-20 09:39
There's quite a few complaints in this forum with mixed responses as well haha

Given the cost and the features, Id say Autel was a day late and a dollar short. Being this late to the party will cost Autel dearly. I was hoping that an American manufacturer would step up to the plate and really deliver but im not holding my breath at this point. It seems to cost too much to bring a reliable, serviceable product to the market in the 48, Id be exuberant to be proven wrong. Too long has China ruled US skies....

DJI is a real powerhouse, if the cost of their products came down in line with some of the offerings from the States but with the same quality as their product line has historically delivered....DJI could get a real run for its money, not to mention, competition is good and currently there is no such thing.

-SkinJob2501
2018-9-20
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I bought an Evo and sent it back for full refund after 2 days.
Personally, I thought it sucked.
Poor signal / breakup , lousy image quality from camera. Tilted horizon. RC held phone loosely. Cable between phone and RC very badly executed. 'Door' to USBC port comes off completely. etc.....
2018-9-20
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Raincast Posted at 2018-9-20 11:46

I also used an S7 Edge with my Mavic Pro and had no issues ......  I moved to a Crystalsky and  and this has been fine apart from the extremely slow upgrade support .....
2018-9-20
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2018-9-20 14:30
Poor signal / breakup , lousy image quality from camera. Tilted horizon. RC held phone loosely. Cable between phone and RC very badly executed. 'Door' to USBC port comes off completely. etc.....

That sucks. It says it has the same performance as occusync. I knew it was a boolshet
2018-9-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think it’s competition for the orignal Mavic Pro, I believe Autel if they want to be a threat to dji they need to up their game, design needs to change stop copying what’s already out there, be innovative bring something new to the table, No geo is just ridiculous, it’s basically saying now you can fly in a no fly zone at your own risk and if you do and something happens we wash our hands of you. What does No geo offer a user nothing only allowing him to fly illegally, No updates forced on you, again their biggest problem with XStar was they promised the sun moon and the stars, but came up with nothing, so you won’t need to opt out of updates because they won’t happen.

If you want to be great be different , don’t try and rehash an old idea. The Autel looked very promising before it came out, but although great price, footage looks good , it was just missing the magic. USP I think they call it.
2018-9-20
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Raincast Posted at 2018-9-20 09:27
There are a few Youtubers who've tried it out and it seems pretty stable. It's got 2 front ultrasonic sensors, 2 bottom cameras and an IR sensor for backward flying. Cheers!

Yes, my understanding the rear obstacle avoidance on the Evo only detects rear obstacles, it doesn't actually move out of the way of those obstacles. It looks like a formidable competitor but still lacks the software capabilities to really challenge the Mavic.
2018-9-20
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

At least Autel was civilized about taking it back. They didn't argue and paid the shipping both ways.
Their loss. I got 100% refund.
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

MagicRide Posted at 2018-9-20 12:54
The biggest mistake Autel made was not to put out a 1" sensor. If they would have had that drone with a 1" sensor and the 60 fps that they already have, I would have bought one in a flash. I'm not afraid to say that the picture quality of the Autel Evo is outstanding and probably better than that of the M2P even as it is. I'm going to wait and hopefully the guys at Autel see the opportunity to make a killing on this market.

I hope they stay healthy in the market and I think for that price with 4k60 the drone is still unmatched. The P4Pro is the next one around a few hundred dollars north of it.
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

SkinJob2501 Posted at 2018-9-20 13:29
Given the cost and the features, Id say Autel was a day late and a dollar short. Being this late to the party will cost Autel dearly. I was hoping that an American manufacturer would step up to the plate and really deliver but im not holding my breath at this point. It seems to cost too much to bring a reliable, serviceable product to the market in the 48, Id be exuberant to be proven wrong. Too long has China ruled US skies....

DJI is a real powerhouse, if the cost of their products came down in line with some of the offerings from the States but with the same quality as their product line has historically delivered....DJI could get a real run for its money, not to mention, competition is good and currently there is no such thing.

Yeah, we all know what happened to the Karma. DJI is too ahead of the others and they're trying to occupy every price range with their drones from Tello/Spark to the Matrice. That makes most small companies scared to put up a fight, unless they get in the drone racing space.
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Aeromirage Posted at 2018-9-20 14:30

Was this the 4k60 version? Expectations from a drone are so high nowadays because of what DJI offers. And, they're not cheap either. Glad you got it refunded.
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Anthony566 Posted at 2018-9-20 15:10
I also used an S7 Edge with my Mavic Pro and had no issues ......  I moved to a Crystalsky and  and this has been fine apart from the extremely slow upgrade support .....

I'm still dreaming of that Crystalsky but I doubt I'll get my hands on one!
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-20 15:12
That sucks. It says it has the same performance as occusync. I knew it was a boolshet

I hope it's not problematic like the Mavic Air for some people in this forum.
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-20 15:27
I think it’s competition for the orignal Mavic Pro, I believe Autel if they want to be a threat to dji they need to up their game, design needs to change stop copying what’s already out there, be innovative bring something new to the table, No geo is just ridiculous, it’s basically saying now you can fly in a no fly zone at your own risk and if you do and something happens we wash our hands of you. What does No geo offer a user nothing only allowing him to fly illegally, No updates forced on you, again their biggest problem with XStar was they promised the sun moon and the stars, but came up with nothing, so you won’t need to opt out of updates because they won’t happen.

If you want to be great be different , don’t try and rehash an old idea. The Autel looked very promising before it came out, but although great price, footage looks good , it was just missing the magic. USP I think they call it.

I think DJI has always been ahead in the drone market so they've thought of a lot already. I was honestly impressed with how they made small changes to even the battery charger and RC for the M2Pro. I didn't even expect the light underneath the Mavic2. They could've simply made the 1" Hasselblad plus omni sensors then sold it for today's price and people will still buy their stuff. I guess Autel can always look at this forum and see what most people complain about to improve their future product haha
2018-9-20
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-9-20 16:38
Yes, my understanding the rear obstacle avoidance on the Evo only detects rear obstacles, it doesn't actually move out of the way of those obstacles. It looks like a formidable competitor but still lacks the software capabilities to really challenge the Mavic.

Yeah, DJI is pretty ahead when it comes to software and interface. Even their other products like the Ronin are praised for that stuff. I think there was that other drone that could follow you while you were jogging underneath the trees but it lacked everything else that even the Mavic1 has. I hope it will get Autel to be more aggressive on their future drones to stay in the market.
2018-9-20
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

You are wrong about the zoom.
Autel Evo has a x8 digital zoom.

Fly safe
Alex
2018-9-21
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-20 09:19
I’ve seen a review of Captain Drone with the common issues of the Evo and it seems that their horizon is tilted and cannot be leveled. I will stick to my distorted one lol

The horizon tilt issues has been fixed in the latest update.

Fly safe
Alex
2018-9-21
Use props
lvK0bgqCXaWs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 361 ft
Netherlands

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-9-20 08:37

"the Mavic 2 has omni-obstacle avoidance"
watch my video here on the obstacle avoidance somewhere, and see if you still think it is an advantage...
2018-9-21
Use props
SkinJob2501
lvl.3

United States

I dont advocate any kind of plagiarism, but the Chinese companies have been stealing US technology, and getting away with it, for decades. All we need is one strong, well funded american company to bring DJI tech to the States.....and improve on it vastly. Its possible, just requires $$$x10^23....which is hard to come by here since people work for a wage. Hopefully, someone smart and well funded comes to bat in the near future here in the USA. I have no problem buying a Chinese product, many of them are excellent, plenty of them suck to the max. Stateside features, technology and support would help drive the market in a positive direction. Creating actual competition instead of a monopoly, driving costs for new and exciting features down and bringing amazing products to market....for everyone....What we currently have is an expensive product (with a fairly wealthy fanboy base, mostly because our choices are limited for such an expensive past time / employment avenue).

I hope that Autel can rise to the occasion, hopefully this stumbling block is a forced step in the right direction for them and they rise to the occasion, make a cool drone that more can afford that can have a good (if not better) track record than DJI (which is a very high bar to set) and bring UAS tech to the masses and not just the wealthy etc.

-SkinJob2501
2018-9-21
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>

My friend bought an Autel Xstar Premium, from the day he bought it, not a single update, he got fed up with me and my Mavic Pro, with so many updates, new features, that's how I see the M2 progressing.
2018-9-21
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Alex B. Posted at 2018-9-21 01:12
You are wrong about the zoom.
Autel Evo has a x8 digital zoom.

Good to know, thanks!
2018-9-21
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

Raincast Posted at 2018-9-20 11:46

Me too. My S7 Edge has been working flawlessly since Mavic 1.
2018-9-21
Use props
fanscb6385d2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 281283 ft
Germany

I am looking forward to compare the actual footage produced. A drone for me is a flying camera. An I do not really count on big marketing buzzwords aka "Hasselblad or 1" sensor" if the output is as embarrassing as the FOV 4K crap produced by the M2P. (which is essentially 2,7K inflated, carrying not more information)

I presume the Autel "60fps 4K" will not be much better... just cheated pixel binning...

Sorry for being so harsh, but I am very disappointed of this years releases. Regarding the IQ of the P4P, the M2P is a step backwards...
2018-9-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules