Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5abca74f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27510 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi,

I was wondering What kind of laptop should i buy to edit 6k raw with the x7 camera? Anyone know the min of the persfomance i need on a laptop to be able to edit 6k raw videos? Please help thank you!
2018-9-20
Use props
ambassador1
lvl.3
United States

I have been using my new dell xps 15 for 5k raw editing, works great, can be a bit slow to render an entire clip when using camera raw to develop a sequence in AE. Its not the most expensive model out there. I general recommendation is the higher speed internal SSD you can get, max out ram (buying additional ram is often cheaper to add after initial purchase), and best NVIDIA gpu you can get. Not sure what your budget is, but my machine, after ram upgrade was about 1800$usd.

Dell XPS 15, 32gigs of ram (maxed), nNVIDIA GTX 1050 with (ok card, cbb), 512 ssd internal (I would recommend larger, I work often off external ssd's)...not the beefiest machine, handles 5k raw dng sequences well. Other than that, the best specs you are willing to dish $$ for. I personally would never buy a mac, as they are harder to upgrade, and many parts are soldered on...I do use them at work though, along with linux and pc, because they are provided for me.
2018-9-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. You'll be needing a high-end laptop for this in order to edit the 6k raw. Hope our valued customers can provide or suggest what laptop would be great for editing this kind of resolution. Thank you for the support.
2018-9-20
Use props
Flo the Pirate
lvl.4
Austria

This is a complicated topic and can not be answered without defining some part of your workflow - even the choice of nle, sequence resolution , ... , will make a big difference .... so take my answer as well as the answers above with a grain of salt !

I guess it will be hard to accomplish smooth editing/playback with a laptop and 6k dng raw but using proress might be way different
(but I guess it´s only 4k you get from the inspire2 - not sure I don´t use it). But it´s not impossible as you could hook up external gpu
and fast enough drives to an laptop that brings some decent amount of cores that are still fast (ghz). But this cluttery setup might not
be as practical as you imagined when you asked for a laptop.

I tried dng raw in a premiere pro timeline and also ae some time ago and there was no even close to real time playback and we are using
a very beefy computer so you see your choice of nle is a big peace of the puzzle. I didn´t really try to figure out what exactly was the
bottleneck but i hardly believe it was premiere not utilising the hardware right e.g not multi threaded enough for higher core count. Adobe
is known that they like high ghz vs cores and nvidia vs amd gpu.

I think the most help I can give you on your quest (but not suggesting any product) is to tell you what we use and how it is utilised:

Our machine has 32 cores @3,6ghz , 128 gb ram, nvidia titan gpu , several ssds for system/render and fast 2000+mb/s raid for footage.
We get smooth playback using up to 50% cpu , up to 35% gpu , footage drive up to 450mb/s ... i think ram is more related to project size
in a full hd timeline @25fps using davinci.

my conclusion : don´t try to edit with dng raw - render out proxies that have the same file name and are easy for your hardware to edit
(proress/DNxHD) and if needed easy to relink to raw for grading.

I hope this helps you a bit , remember the grain of salt ;) and understand that a chain is only as strong as it´s weakest link

2018-9-21
Use props
ambassador1
lvl.3
United States

Yes, that's a good point too that I didn't bring up. Much of your experience is going to depend on your workflow, not just the specs. If you want real time playback you will have to use proxies, even at 4k, if you are doing any camera raw processing in post, the playback of that wont be realtime /24-30fps. You can most likely get realtime playback of the 6k footage proxied down to 3-4k depending on bitrate, but I would still recommend keeping proxies for edit maxed at 2k. Everyone's workflow is different, and needs. I tend to edit proxy footage at 2k, then swap in the full rest for post/grading/vfx work, unless its something like 8k, we will use proxies as long as we can.

I don't think there is a laptop out there that could playback even 5k dng sequences at speed, or 4kdng sequences with grading applied. So yes, you can easily "edit" 6k footage on a decent laptop, if you work smart with proxies along the way.
2018-9-21
Use props
Flo the Pirate
lvl.4
Austria

editing in a timeline native to the proxies e.g. 1080 footage in an 1080 timeline takes a lot of the scaling computation off the gpu what makes it more enjoyable on a laptop. But you still need a fast media drive ( i think 800mb/s ) in a real world editing scenario with a many layer timeline. Some external 8bay raid5 with a fast connection could do that easily. editing from a fast internal ssd/nvme should work as well but you will be limited in space for your footage soon. So look for fast external connectors e.g. usb3 or even thunderbolt (external gpu / raid) to beef up your machine in the future.

2018-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules