Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Unlevel Takeoff
2316 11 2018-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 995600 ft
United States

I was flying last evening and took off from an embankement that had very short grass and seemed like an almost perfect place to takeoff from. I did notice that it was slighlty unlevel. Would this have any effect on the P4P's inintialazition when you first power it up? Would this possibly cause unlevel flight or the horizon to be unlevel? Just wondering as maybe next time I should plan on taking off from a more level surface going forward.

My Phantom is the P4P V2.0.
2018-9-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I appreciate your time bringing this topic to us. Regarding your concern, I recommend you to take off your drone on a level surface to avoid any issue when flying. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.
2018-9-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Taking off from a slope is fine as long as you gun the aircraft to get it up quickly for the first 6 feet or so. But landing on a slope is very risky.
2018-9-20
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-20 15:32
Taking off from a slope is fine as long as you gun the aircraft to get it up quickly for the first 6 feet or so. But landing on a slope is very risky.

More tricky than risky! A bit of skill and experience needed.
2018-9-20
Use props
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
United States

On takeoff I usually use the auto-takeoff feature.

On landing I've been hand catching it.
2018-9-20
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But would the drone being unlevel have an issue with the initialization? perhaps with the gimbal? maybe imu?
2018-9-20
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-9-20 20:52
But would the drone being unlevel have an issue with the initialization? perhaps with the gimbal? maybe imu?

Theoretically no it shouldnt as long as the gimbal and imu calibrations were done on a level surface initially those settings should stay the same untill a new calibration is done.
The gimbal only does a self test during start up not a calibration.
2018-9-21
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

I can't comment on any effect on the initialization.  However,  if the ground is uneven,  the grass is a bit long or the take off area dusty I would hand launch & retrieve - no question about it !
2018-9-21
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Don't orient the front uphill for take off & agree with Geebax 3#
2018-9-21
Use props
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
United States

Thanks guys! From what I'm seeing here there is nothing wrong from taking off from an incline but landing could be another story. Again, I've been hand catching so landing isn't an issue for me anyway.

I figured a slight incline with very short grass was a better option than longer grass and a flat surface. Indeed I was correct in my thinking here.
2018-9-21
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-9-21 00:41
Theoretically no it shouldnt as long as the gimbal and imu calibrations were done on a level surface initially those settings should stay the same untill a new calibration is done.
The gimbal only does a self test during start up not a calibration.

Thanks chap
2018-9-21
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I often have slight incline and I have had odd videos that have an un-level horizon. I can never actually be sure its because of the incline.

As to hand catching because of an incline ? Personally I see no reason for that as long as you don't 'dance' around as it lands ... PUT IT DOWN and stop !! Never fallen over with manual landing and I have landed out on slight and moderate incline. As long as its a mild slope - its fine.

OK - short or long grass ... the ONLY time that long grass is an issue is START UP and take off. If the grass interferes with the gimbal 'dance' - it can cause problems or even stop the dance altogether.  So do not start up in long grass ... I carry a square of heavy carpet to put down if needed .. and in my model van - I have a picnic table I can use.
But landing as long as you stop the motors once landed - long grass is no problem at all. I do advise that camera be tilted to its horizontal zero position facing ahead before landing though and NOT facing down.

Nigel
2018-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules