Video recording capped at 4:50?
3468 25 2018-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

Last night I was filming my daughter's High School band practice for the directors and experienced a weird bug/glitch. I had several segments that were greater than 5 minutes (5:25, 6:30, etc.) in length as indicated when I hit the stop record button in the Dji Go 4 app, but when I went to view them, all cut off at exactly 4 minutes 50 seconds. Initially, I was trying to view them on my iPad so I just chalked it up to it being a cache issue or something, but when I got home and viewed the files on my pc, sure enough, all were 4:50.

Has anyone else noticed this issue or have any ideas what could have caused it? And before anyone asks (thought a Dji admin will still do so), yes, all my firmware and software is up to date and my sd card was reformatted.

All recording was done in h.264 4k HQ Normal mode so that I could directly upload them to youtube without editing. Bug aside, the M2P was incredible in this capacity. I hovered at 200ft on the 50-yard line for 30 minutes at a time and the platform was rock solid in 10-15mph winds aloft.

***Disclaimer: I am Part 107 Certified and possess a night-flying waiver and was not directly over anyone.***

Here is an example video, though I warn you these are pretty boring without the music:

2018-9-21
Use props
parkgt214
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

Haven't seen anyone else get 30 minutes of hover time, you have a rare M2.
2018-9-21
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
United States

parkgt214 Posted at 2018-9-21 04:14
Haven't seen anyone else get 30 minutes of hover time, you have a rare M2.

Well, it may have been 28:37 and I rounded up. ;)

*This was after the batteries had seven cycles on them.
2018-9-21
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

What was the file size of each clip?  My guess is they are around 4 gb.  That is the file size limit in FAT32 file system
2018-9-21
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
United States

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 2018-9-21 05:05
What was the file size of each clip?  My guess is they are around 4 gb.  That is the file size limit in FAT32 file system

Bingo. They are in fact right around 4GB. So how do I get around that?
2018-9-21
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 405102 ft
Latvia

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 2018-9-21 05:05

Looks that way, just format exFat and you will be fine
2018-9-21
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
United States

simis Posted at 2018-9-21 05:10
Looks that way, just format exFat and you will be fine

Are we given an option when selecting "Format Card" in the Go app? I don't recall seeing that.
2018-9-21
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 405102 ft
Latvia

Zatx Posted at 2018-9-21 05:52
Are we given an option when selecting "Format Card" in the Go app? I don't recall seeing that.

Duno, I'm usually formatting them straight on computer  after I buy one.
2018-9-21
Use props
spark-ch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5547667 ft
United Kingdom

Zatx Posted at 2018-9-21 05:52

Yes, there's an option to do that. In the camera settings menu if I remember ...
2018-9-21
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
United States

spark-ch Posted at 2018-9-21 06:28
Yes, there's an option to do that. In the camera settings menu if I remember ...

Excellent. Thank you!
2018-9-21
Use props
simjs
lvl.2

Your issues is that the Mavic 2 Pro is obsolete and has a fish-eye Hasslebad camera. Like I stated earlier I usually format my memory card in exFat or FAT32. But I also have no clue what I am doing and just sort of google search answers and post them so take it with a grain of salt. Most likely it's an obsolete SD card that DJI created using another name.

I would try recording in P.236 format at 4k60.
2018-9-21
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
United States

simjs Posted at 2018-9-21 09:38
Your issues is that the Mavic 2 Pro is obsolete and has a fish-eye Hasslebad camera. Like I stated earlier I usually format my memory card in exFat or FAT32. But I also have no clue what I am doing and just sort of google search answers and post them so take it with a grain of salt. Most likely it's an obsolete SD card that DJI created using another name.

Wow, simjs, you sure have a bone to pick for some reason. Maybe you should consider not posting on forums and go outside and relax.
2018-9-21
Use props
simjs
lvl.2

Zatx Posted at 2018-9-21 10:02
Wow, simjs, you sure have a bone to pick for some reason. Maybe you should consider not posting on forums and go outside and relax.

Maybe you are just obsolete and upset that you have a fish-eye lense
2018-9-21
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Mavics write at a 4GB files size no matter how you’ve got it formatted. Exfat is just for greater than 32GB capacity, but writes happen around 4GB. The R/C will ping like you just started a recording.
2018-9-21
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

simjs Posted at 2018-9-21 10:05
Maybe you are just obsolete and upset that you have a fish-eye lense

You’re going off of bad reviews from people too naive to realize that they don’t know how to use a camera properly. I shoot Normal Color (so as you know, my horizon is perfect with no distortion across the whole scene) and H.265. H.265 gives more clarity across the entire scene over H.264 - that’s it. The P4P I own does the same thing, except slightly warms up the image in 265.

I shoot 0 sharpness, 0 contrast, and -2 saturation. This gives me almost D-Cinelike. It looks fantastic straight out of the drone onto my high-end 10-bit 4k television prior to any file manipulation. The footage looks nearly identical to the vast amount of P4P footage I have. I prefer the footage to look as close to what I want my end result to be... you know, like real directors seek.

You’re knowledge about this Hasselblad camera is an illusion from keeping you from facing your own incompetence. You’re dead wrong about this camera, so give it up. Don’t assume we’re all fork lift drivers here.

2018-9-21
Use props
BlueSkies99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3238 ft
United States

Many video recording devices limit file size to 4GB.  My Canon 5D mkiv does the same thing.  When you drop the clips onto your editor's timeline they are seamless.  
2018-9-21
Use props
simᴉs
lvl.2

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 2018-9-21 10:39
You’re going off of bad reviews from people too naive to realize that they don’t know how to use a camera properly. I shoot Normal Color (so as you know, my horizon is perfect with no distortion across the whole scene) and H.265. H.265 gives more clarity across the entire scene over H.264 - that’s it. The P4P I own does the same thing, except slightly warms up the image in 265.

I shoot 0 sharpness, 0 contrast, and -2 saturation. This gives me almost D-Cinelike. It looks fantastic straight out of the drone onto my high-end 10-bit 4k television prior to any file manipulation. The footage looks nearly identical to the vast amount of P4P footage I have. I prefer the footage to look as close to what I want my end result to be... you know, like real directors seek.

What the **ll is wrong with forklift drivers? They don't let just anyone drive those things.
2018-9-21
Use props
simᴉs
lvl.2

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 2018-9-21 10:39

I shoot 0 sharpness, 0 contrast, and -2 saturation. This gives me almost D-Cinelike. It looks fantastic straight out of the drone onto my high-end 10-bit 4k television prior to any file manipulation. The footage looks nearly identical to the vast amount of P4P footage I have. I prefer the footage to look as close to what I want my end result to be... you know, like real directors seek.

I do not need a lesson on image processing, thank you..

My photos and video's come out so amazingly awesome that even when I go out of my way to record them out of focus, they still come out in focus.
2018-9-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience and trouble caused. Regarding your concern, can you please try to format your SD Card using your computer? Let see if this will work. Thank you.
2018-9-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

BlueSkies99 Posted at 2018-9-21 10:53
Many video recording devices limit file size to 4GB.  My Canon 5D mkiv does the same thing.  When you drop the clips onto your editor's timeline they are seamless.

Exactly. One just needs to recombine the clips in post, that's all.
2018-9-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just use transitions in post production  
2018-9-22
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
United States

Oh, I understand this can be done in post, but I needed to be able to quickly record, then upload for immediate viewing without the time requirements of editing/rendering.
2018-9-22
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
United States

I just checked and the SD card is formatted as exFAT while the internal memory is FAT32.
2018-9-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Zatx Posted at 2018-9-22 08:39
I just checked and the SD card is formatted as exFAT while the internal memory is FAT32.

Glad you found the answer
2018-9-22
Use props
eyecapture
lvl.4
Flight distance : 517848 ft
Canada

The easiest thing to do is switch to h265. It's a more efficient codec.
2018-9-22
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

simjs Posted at 2018-9-21 09:38

You think the earth is flat but it’s not, it’s been proven many times over. The David hasslehoff camera is simply catching the curvature of the earth...
2018-9-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules