Vision positioning system drifting
3237 11 2018-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_yZjxb5ldjNh0
lvl.2
Canada

So I was testing the mavic 2 pro indoor using the VPS only (OPTI mode, no GPS) and after a while, the drone starts drifting to the right.

The first 2 minutes the drone behaves as expected, but the longer it runs, the more apparent the drifting issue becomes. I've found that if I land and then take off, the drone is still drifting as much as it was before landing. However, if you land, power off, power on and take off, the drone won't drift before another 2 minutes.

Video of the issue:

This was filmed inside (no wind) and the drone was in OPTI MODE the whole time.Forward and backward obstacle sensing was disabled.
The RC was set in P-mode.

The RC sticks were calibrated and not touched during the drifting.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?

2018-9-21
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

It was probably not able to stabilize itself since there isn't a well defined pattern on the floor. Try placing an object below the Mavic that has a well defined pattern. It'll likely hover in place better at that point.

BTW, be careful flying inside in tight quarters. You might do a lot of damage to your Mavic, yourself, and/or personal belongings if your Mavic crashes.
2018-9-21
Use props
djiuser_yZjxb5ldjNh0
lvl.2
Canada

msinger Posted at 2018-9-21 11:26
It was probably not able to stabilize itself since there isn't a well defined pattern on the floor. Try placing an object below the Mavic that has a well defined pattern. It'll likely hover in place better at that point.

BTW, be careful flying inside in tight quarters. You might do a lot of damage to your Mavic, yourself, and/or personal belongings if your Mavic crashes.

Thanks, I'll try again outside under a clear pattern tomorrow (bad weather today).
2018-9-21
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

I have only one answer: Free Willy ;-)
2018-9-21
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-21 11:44
I have only one answer: Free Willy ;-)

I see what you did there.
2018-9-21
Use props
Cirius
lvl.3
Flight distance : 277621 ft
Canada

I understand very well what you're explaining, my mavic crashes over my roof, roofing is the same pathern and objet avoidance did not saw the difference of height.  Oh yes it was fault because I flew over the roof and i was assuming that obstacles avoidance will figured out but NO WAY !!  Be careful!!
2018-9-21
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

i was doing the same test today and noticed it drifting to the right also, very strange :/
2018-9-21
Use props
djiuser_yZjxb5ldjNh0
lvl.2
Canada

Well, I did the same test outside yesterday under the best possible conditions: sunny, almost no wind, well lit and defined patterns. It seems the issue is still there and the drone will start drifting to the right after 2 min. No matter what direction the drone is facing, it drifts to its right. As this issue is not present when in GPS mode, I had to put a couple of tin foil sheets on the top of the M2P nose to block the GPS.

Anybody else other than bomberuk having the same issue? Just want to make sure this is FW related and not an issue with my downward position system.
2018-9-24
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

I hovered at 200ft in heavy wind for nearly an hour (changed battery once) while recording a high school marching band practice. I never experienced any drifting even with the winds.
2018-9-25
Use props
djiuser_yZjxb5ldjNh0
lvl.2
Canada

I believe you were in GPS mode, though.

The drifting only happens when the drone is in OPTI mode.
2018-9-25
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Never had the problem.
Read somewhere in the forum that drifting could be caused by a slight heat problem due to just hovering in place. They believed the fan might not be working fast enough to cool the mother board. Did you try flying the drone around once it started to drift to see if it drifted again after you returned it to the hovering condition.?
Hope you can get your problem resolved.
2018-9-25
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Vision System needs a defined pattern to lock onto.

Grass, your flooring, driveway any surface not showing a recognizable pattern most likely will cause this....not so accurate hover.

IMHO

Randy
2018-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules