4608 47 2015-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

Hello

I posted this on another forum earlier, but decided to put it up here aswell

It's funny. I don't usually register to forums as long as everything with is ok, but when something fails i feel the need to share my pain.

I wanted to get myself a multicopter with camera to use at work, really show that technology is useful and helpful in day to day tasks. So after good amount of research i decided to get an Inspire 1. Beautiful machine a has everyhting i need.

Got a rough start, hurried to get it in the air (following instructions and calibraration procedure according to the manual ofcourse) and ended up with a dent in my car and a couple props broken. You live and learn.

A day later flying was fun, but a sudden drop in battery from 30% to 7% resulted in autoland(on a good spot) again scared me. But i knew now never to fly below 30%, lesson learned and no damage.

But then there was the day i really didn't hope for. On a nice open field i get a few minutes of good flying, it's fun and i'm happy to show the machine to my collegues, would'nt this be great at work? i ask.

Untill it acts up, I no longer have full control and don't know what's going on. It spins and goes in circles. I just can't get it clode to me. I request it to come home and app says it's coming. But it's actually flying away further. Can't see it anymore, no image in app. Going home failed it says.

So i get in my car, go to the last place it recorded on map. I find it within 10 metres of that place, not in perfect shape anymore.

Damage: 3 props broken, battery had fallen off but was at about 50% capacity and functioning, camera was detached with torn cable. Frame was intact.

So i test the bird to see if it functions. Motors spin and respond, landing gear raises and lowers.

But the camera is not ok.It begins calibration, but with louder noice than normal and stops in wrong position. It also beeps and doesn't send image to app. Guess it's busted.

Contact the company that sold it, they tell me to contact the manufcturer(yes, the seller company is liable for for their products but i have time t discuss issue with DJI)

Now one week later i have had some contact from them, asking me to send .DAT files, flight record and video but no answer to what caused this. Maby next week?

Any ideas what might have been the issue?

Link to video(if this works) https://drive.google.com/open?id ... QOG8&authuser=0
The spinning begins at 3.10

EDIT: Adding a link to pilot app flight record. It's still just from android app so no stick input visible but atleast it's something: https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 1k/view?usp=sharing

Multiple flight mode was not yet activated, as it is off by default i never thought about it being an requirement.
2015-5-30
Use props
Airosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

your vid link doesn't work....
2015-5-30
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

Airosa Posted at 2015-5-31 15:44
your vid link doesn't work....

Thanks for noticing, link fixed now
2015-5-30
Use props
lkedziora
lvl.2
Flight distance : 808491 ft
Poland

Flying in urban environment is very risky. Look for directional antennas on high buildings or BTS and You will find the answer. Before each flight I check if there are no this kind of stuff. I always analize cases of flyaway and they most have one thing in common: the urban environment (or close to it).  The radio interferrences are to blame for most unexplained cases of flyaways.
2015-5-31
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

lkedziora@gmail Posted at 2015-5-31 16:15
Flying in urban environment is very risky. Look for directional antennas on high buildings or BTS an ...

Not urban area, no tall buildings with 1km radius of site.
2015-5-31
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Consult Posted at 2015-5-31 16:44
Not urban area, no tall buildings with 1km radius of site.

Consult, when the aircraft started going out of control were you flying using the app image for orientation or watching the aircraft itself?
2015-5-31
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

Dave E Posted at 2015-5-31 18:07
Consult, when the aircraft started going out of control were you flying using the app image for or ...

I was watching the aircraft itself at first, but as it went farther away i had to use the app image.
2015-5-31
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Well ...
Firmware issues has been reported since day one with this air craft.

Which firmware where you on when this happened ?

Although ... no actual feed back from DJI if the problems are firmware,r hardware related or if it is due to "interference" ...

I kinda hope it is due to faulty hard ware and that my bird is fine ... if it is firmware ... well ... you never know when this thing is going to happen to you (or what triggers it).

We all just fly and hope for the best at this time really ...

2015-5-31
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

w1der Posted at 2015-5-31 18:40
Well ...
Firmware issues has been reported since day one with this air craft.

I believe it was V1.2.1.03. I got the inspire on may 21st and updated it to the firmware version found on DJI website the same day. As it crashed on may 24th i didn't update to the latest firmware V1.2.1.06 that was released on the 26th
2015-5-31
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Consult Posted at 2015-5-31 19:43
I believe it was V1.2.1.03. I got the inspire on may 21st and updated it to the firmware version f ...

Well ... the latest update was only for batteries according to DJI rep.

I am deeply concerned!

2015-5-31
Use props
jamesramsay81
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79495 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I feel your pain. My I1 is acting in the same way yours is (3-4 times now). It starts with a smooth flight then all of a sudden I lose control and it goes into these crazy spins and flying uncontrollably. Last time it happened I watched it helplessly for about 8 minutes as it spun and flew around at about 100 m in the air. It left my view so I initiated the go home button. I had time to call my friend and sulk for 5 min before it came flying back to me (in perfect flight) and land with no issues.

I reviewed the video and I could tell right away that the horizon is crooked but I can't explain what I now call the "death spins" as this is becoming a every second flight thing. It's incredibly frustrating as it ways on the confidence of the pilot and it feels like a game of Russian roulette every time I send my bird in the air. Anyone have any thoughts what these spins could be?

Thanks,
2015-5-31
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Consult Posted at 2015-5-31 18:39
I was watching the aircraft itself at first, but as it went farther away i had to use the app imag ...

I've watched your video several times and I noticed that the horizon level is all over the place after the craft goes out of control. I think your gimbal "gave up" and lost control. I have had similar instances with mine. After the gimbal has done this for the first time, it intermittently does the same thing again during the rest of the flight. If you are looking at the app image or through FPV goggles at the time, you give the aircraft contol inputs based on the idea that the camera is pointing forward. The problem is that the camera is no longer pointing forward or even maintaining any fixed direction. It rapidly becomes uncontrollable. I don't know if this would have affected the return to home feature.
Here is a link to one of the experiences I had.

2015-5-31
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

Really sorry for your loss.  That uncontrolled circling looks like a very exaggerated TBE (Toiled Bowl Effect).  Even from about a minute into the flight, it seems to be moving in a lazy circle independant of the gimbal direction. This usually indicates an IMU / Compass error and possibly a bad calibration.  I suspect your take off location may be to blame. It all looks like 'Brown field'  reclaimed industrial land to me.  Was that flat concrete area once home to some sort of industrial building or unit of some kind?  if so, there could be lots of buried steel reinforcement or underground pipework that could influence a compass calibration.  How close were you to the vehicles?  Again for the same reasons.  Did you perform a sensor check before takeoff?  If so how did your mod values look?  These are the sort of questions you need to be asking yourself to rule out certain possibilities and find a likely answer.
I hope everything works out for you and that you are airborne again soon.  Good luck.
2015-5-31
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ph02on Posted at 2015-5-31 22:29
Really sorry for your loss.  That uncontrolled circling looks like a very exaggerated TBE (Toiled Bo ...

I agree.  I think that an IMU calibration would have helped.  It looks also like the OP lost orientation as well.  I think that he was trying to return to home and was in fact flying away from the Home Point.  I am glad that he recovered the Inspire and was able to post the video.  He can download the flight data logs and send them to DJI for analysis along with the flight log from the device.  I would be interested in seeing a video with the stick movements.
2015-5-31
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

Ph02on Posted at 2015-5-31 22:29
Really sorry for your loss.  That uncontrolled circling looks like a very exaggerated TBE (Toiled Bo ...

I'ts actually not reclaimed industrial land or concrete, it's a recently cleared area where a small hill used to be. I'ts just been flattened for future use and the rock moved to another site as foundation.

Compass calibration was done prior to takeoff about 10 metres from the cars, but i did not check the values as it doesn't say to do this in the manual. IMU calibration was done 2 days earlier and i have flown on this site the day before without problems.
2015-5-31
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-1 01:28
I agree.  I think that an IMU calibration would have helped.  It looks also like the OP lost orien ...

Flight logs have been sent to DJI on may 26th(Daniel Huang, EU support) an 27th (Sophie Zhang,inspire1@dji.com)

Now, if i was working for DJI and noticed issues like this piling up and have good idea what the problem is(IMU/compass calibration and MOD values) i would hastily send an email to all registered owners and retailers to let people know about these issues so future flyaways and crashes could be avoided. I for one would have been very happy if someone told me to look out for this...
2015-5-31
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

Consult Posted at 2015-6-1 12:17
Flight logs have been sent to DJI on may 26th(Daniel Huang, EU support) an 27th (Sophie Zhang,)

N ...

Hi Consult,

totally agree with your comments. If only DJI would let us into the inner circle and tell us exactly what is going on!

I was in a similar spot to you back in the start of March. Uncontrolled flyaway with DJI response being GPS unit "not performing well" and accelerometer "not performing well"

Whilst I  got my bird back last week and it is flying well  (good job to the repair folk as it really seemed a right off to me)  I am ever frustrated in the fact that my many requests to DJI to let me know what their investigation of the craft found and why my incident occurred has resulted in nothing.

Good luck getting some answers consult.

2015-6-1
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

.DAT files now being analyzed by DJI

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... 3aEk&authuser=0
2015-6-2
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any broadcast emails from DJI regarding possible problems becomes evidence for a product liability lawsuit and eventual grounding of the entire fleet.  Its far less expensive to repair/replace your machine than suffer an admitted defect resulting in a product recall and court defense costs.

I haven't had any experiences with a flyway and I'm perfectly happy with both my Inspires.  One time I had and issue and the bird was coming home on its own as the controller antennas were folded in the stowed position and I was able to reconnect with the bird and manually land.
2015-6-5
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

So, now the analysys of the crash date is said to be complete but they want to tell me the results by telephone.
I need the results in writing so i can file a claim to either the company that sold the inspire or my insurance company.

I hope they understand this....
2015-6-11
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Consult Posted at 2015-6-12 12:46
So, now the analysys of the crash date is said to be complete but they want to tell me the results b ...

If it is a DJI issue they will take care of it.  I am not sure what you are concerned about.
2015-6-11
Use props
daev66
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12263747 ft
  • >>>
United States

What about getting your equipment in for repair? Did you get a RMA? Mine was shipped on a Tuesday and received on the Friday of that week. Checked in 11 days later on a Tuesday. That starts my 6 weeks and I hear repair facilities are moving to accommodate more volume.
2015-6-12
Use props
msyn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35646 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine did that too last month.  I had a couple normal flights before it went weird.

I sent the Inspire in and I haven't heard a word since or received  it back repaired.    When I recovered the inspire, one of the engine mounts had melted and shifted.  If that happened in flight,  that would explain the lateral motion.  It also could have happened during the crash when the motors didn't shut down on impact even though the props were jammed by bush.   The details of my crash are on my blog at  http://www.mengsyn.com/2015/05/27/drones-and-groans/

2015-6-12
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

Got a mail saying the bird was not "performing well during the flight" and that it was controllable, that i should have moved roll stick instead of throttle to get it back. That the aircraft followed control order( i crashed it intentionaly?) That's the conclusion of three weeks of waiting for an answer.

They offer 50% discount on repairs.

Now, i did not get an answer to what caused the issue, but If they offer discount there was clearly a malfunction of some sort. If DJI cant do any better than half of the repairs i'll go to to my dealer and have the purchase annulled according to commercial laws of Finland that state the dealer has responsibility If the product is flawed.

On the 50% of repairs, let's say i'd go with it. Gimbal and camera cost, props, and today i found a piece was broken where the arm connects to body. The gimbal cable and maby the connecting plate need to be replaced. Parts and labour might cost 600-700€, consumer price?

That means 300-350€ plus shipping for me. Real cost for DJI 200€ for parts max, 50-100€ labor. That would mean i pay the whole deal.

Will i take the deal? Nope.

Something happened that made the bird act against its programming. If i set it to GPS mode i have the right to expect it to be controlled the way the manual says to control it. If it does not and it gets damaged i have two parties to take the cost, factory and dealer. One should take responsibility of flawed product, other must take responsibility for selling a flawed product. I'm protected against costs by law either way but witch one is fair?

Well, im still willing to give DJI a chance, let's see what happens next week
2015-6-13
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

msyn@carabelli. Posted at 2015-6-13 09:30
Mine did that too last month.  I had a couple normal flights before it went weird.
https://vimeo.com ...

Hey, i 'm sorry you had to go through that, i can say i know the feeling...

I actually tested my inspire today and it flew almost normal, just no camera. Something was wrong though as it seemed a bit crooked, and sometimes it gained altitude by itself. When i was carrying it i heard a small rattle and out came a small piece of plastic. closer inspection revealed a broken piece connecting an arm to the body.

After all these posts about terrible customer service and long repair times i'm just about to give up on DJI, got my eyes on Yuneec's newest 4k version of the Q500...
2015-6-13
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-12 13:03
If it is a DJI issue they will take care of it.  I am not sure what you are concerned about.

If someone wants to give info only by telephone, that doesn't give black on white. Without anything written i'd have nothing to give to my dealer or insurance company to get compensation. That concerns me.

But it's being taken care of, sort of...
2015-6-13
Use props
SKYLENSAERIALIM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3879088 ft
United Kingdom

We suffered the same issues as described by others on this thread. We were however able to fight against the inspire to bring it home.  The only difficulty was that we use these from a boat and have to hand launch and catch every time. We have had numerous successful flights and have a very in depth checklist before each flight to ensure everything is in order.  The inspire in question started turning by itself, the gimbal horizon was way off, managed to do auto calibrate in mid air and this seemed to rectify that. If you let go of the sticks it would begin to fly away. I will post footage of hand catch on the boat while trying to counteract the inspires own movements shortly!  

We are going to need some answers asp DJI
2015-6-13
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Consult-Search out a post called A Swing and A Miss...Tahoe -ed I have to admit that I have noticed a pattern. People with product problems seem to be last on the list to hear helpful advice.Mention Paper Trail or Claim and like a genie Poof!... There you are. As far as DJI taking care of it...You may want to refer to the afformentioned thread...DJI did nothing Helpful,Reasonable,or Business Savy.  NOTHING.    Only an insulting offer for a Used or Refurbished inspire1.  That is not taking care of the problem. In this situation(A Swing and A Miss) what your company offered was simply insulting. The customer owned the product for 4 months.He had the product in his possession for 2 weeks.That means that your company DJI had the product in their possession for over 3 months. He was offered a Refurbed unit due to the purchase date with no consideration of the facts.
That offer of a refurbished unit is just arrogant.Let's be brutally honest here. Even a perfect operating inspire1 is an overhead liability due to it's almost 20 pounds of weight and no redundant propulsion systems.
A Refurbished Unit Is Unacceptable.
To every and all inspire owners.   If offered a replacement inspire1 Be Sure That it Is A new Unit.  This company only stands behind one guarantee.     NO REFUNDS
2015-6-14
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

Michael Starley Posted at 2015-6-14 20:38
Consult-Search out a post called A Swing and A Miss...Tahoe -ed I have to admit that I have noticed  ...

Thanks, i noticed the thread while i was doing research after the crash. Would have been easier to shove the refurbed one on someone easier to push around and avoid bad publicity acting the way they did.

I already requested a new inspire as replacement, 50% of repairs was quite funny. It's either that of a refund from the dealer (witch happens to be a chain of stores in several countries) and i bet they will be thrilled having to pay up and fight for compensation with DJI...but as i said, If the request is accepted i'll be a happy customer again(untill next malfunction)
2015-6-14
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
United States

Best wishes man and happy flying..Looking forward to some video.
2015-6-14
Use props
InspireAggie
lvl.4

United States

All this is very interesting and not very reassuring for those who have an inspire.   As you probably have read, I had mine 3 days.    It had an electrical problem and had to be sent back.  I was given a refund or exchange decision.   As much as I'd like to keep it, I think I'm done.   After reading your problems in this post and how you were treated.   A billion dollar company offering you a refurbished unit?  No thanks.   I'll be asking for a refund tomorrow.
2015-6-14
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-12 13:03

The reason for 'Consult' wanting to know is simple, anyone who owns (or has owned) one of these units wants to understand the mechanics of the thing, if the problem should arise again. It's actually an understandable question, in my opinion. If you take your TV in for repair, they tell you the problem. If you take your car in for a repair, they tell you problem. If you have a computer repaired, they tell you the problem.

To basically post, '...it's DJI's business, not yours,' is a bit one sided and shows the lack of acknowledgement toward the consumer who put DJI on the map.

Just an opinion from someone who sees it from the consumers side of the spectrum.

-S.N.
2015-6-14
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Consult Posted at 2015-6-14 05:03
Hey, i 'm sorry you had to go through that, i can say i know the feeling...

I actually tested my  ...

"After all these posts about terrible customer service and long repair times i'm just about to give up on DJI, got my eyes on Yuneec's newest 4k version of the Q500..."

I'm so hearing you, sir.

-S.N.
2015-6-14
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
United States

I will be keeping my eyes on the q500+. Looks like a solid machine.

Don't get mad DJI. If I don't look around the block at the other girls how can I tell you that you are the prettiest?
2015-6-14
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Sky Ninja Posted at 2015-6-15 04:32
The reason for 'Consult' wanting to know is simple, anyone who owns (or has owned) one of these uni ...

SN I do not have the information on Consult's ticket with DJI.  I think that I would rather have someone tell me that they are offering 50% because it appears that the crash based on the Flight Data was user error.  I am not saying it was intentional but sometimes users panic if something happens that they do not expect.
2015-6-15
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Consult Posted at 2015-6-14 05:09
If someone wants to give info only by telephone, that doesn't give black on white. Without anythin ...

Consult, if you would provide me with your ticket number or RMA, I will take a look at your case.
2015-6-15
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

Edited this last post, removed last rant.

DJI took the only smart way out of this situation and granted a new replacement. Issue solved
2015-6-15
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-16 09:11
SN I do not have the information on Consult's ticket with DJI.  I think that I would rather have s ...

Again, totally off topic, my friend. If the posts and their stamped timelines are read in sequence as they appear, I think you will understand the reason I posted as I did.

-S.N.

2015-6-16
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Consult Posted at 2015-6-16 14:30
Edited this last post, removed last rant.

DJI took the only smart way out of this situation and gra ...

Consult- Good for you!!! I'm truly glad that your voice was heard and your story ended in such good result.

You now have to promise to post some beautiful footage from Finland!

Be well, fly safe and live life to the fullest, sir.

Humbly,
-S.N.
2015-6-16
Use props
Consult
lvl.2
Finland

Sky Ninja Posted at 2015-6-16 18:33
Consult- Good for you!!!  I'm truly glad that your voice was heard and your story ended i ...

Thank you very much S.N, i'll be sure to post some video.

I was actually pretty sure this would be the outcome(after some minor ultimatum) and ordered a set of Renaat's filters. Looking forward to trying them out.

Have a great summer, fly safe!

Oh and Q500+ is on it's way too, just in case ;)
2015-6-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules