Ronin 2 Motor Axis went Haywire!! HELP!!
5633 9 2018-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LUMINARIO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 169925 ft

while prepping a job yesterday I balanced an Alexa Mini and small prime on the Ronin 2.  

I then powered up, unscrewed the bottom legs, and flew it on my ready rig.  At this point, after an Auto-Tune and Balance Test (both Good to Go), I paused the motors and inverted the Ronin 2 into an overslung mode.

immediately, the ronin did not balance correctly and I had a +10degree tilt error - I hit recenter in the menu and it did not recenter.

I then paused the motors again, flipped it back to underslung and set it down.  once settled, I unpaused the motors and the rig just went haywire!! extremely erratic!! the pan motor rotated with such force that it struck my arm with some force and the tilt and roll also went into an erratic off-axis mode spinning violently.

at this moment - I paused the motors again they settled.  upon unpausing the motors, it went haywire again.

I then powered down, took both batteries out and let the rig sit for 1 minute.  then put the batteries back on and powered up - the rig went back to center and everything was fine.

what exactly happened?  what made the Ronin 2 freak out in such a manner?  does pausing the motors also affect the GPS or the relation it has to its environment? can interference such as electromagnetic or otherwise affect the Ronin 2 and its stabilization?

I am EXTREMELY concerned - my job is tomorrow and I will do everything (minus a firmware upgrade) before I begin shooting.  I had prepped the rig the day before this too and none of this happened.  

I need answers ASAP - as soon as the job is done I am going to do a full diagnostic check and make sure the firmware is working but doing it right before a job doesn't seem to be a good idea if the new DJI firmware alters something else I cannot fix.

please help...

2018-9-22
Use props
LUMINARIO
lvl.2

Today, during my actual shoot I experience the same things as stated above on the prep.

while balancing and on set, with the DP and director nearby, the rig started behaving erratically - panning back and forth with such force that I had to hold it tight or it would damage the Alexa Mini attached.  

so again, I basically reset the entire system - calibration, reset gimbal, you name it, and I also powered fully down and took out the batteries, and let it rest for a minute.  

fortunately, it stopped after I did who knows what and all systems came back to center except for the Tilt axis - before I had issues with it (it was giving me a +12degree tilt for some reason and it would not return to zero - even after an Auto-Tune and calibration of all axis)  

ok, so I'm internally freaking out - and praying that the rig stops. I don't have time to check firmware, or any type of diagnostic check bc the actor is getting wired and both the director and DP are waiting for the camera to be up, frame up.  so, somehow it stops acting erratically and the tilt is up.  it won't recenter - so I trim the tilt as much as possible - I go to -10 to return to a level horizon (btw, I am in OVERSLUNG mode since I needed to get to eye level with the talent).  I still have to adjust the rig, to be able to get the right headroom.  so, I did this for a couple of takes - its ok, then I remember that PUSH PAN and PUSH TILT - can basically free the motors to allow for any sort of adjustment manually and I think it'll work...it does, using PUSH PAN/TILT allows me to recenter by hand manually and allow for level horizon, or recenter pan, or maybe a little headroom if I give it +2-+4 degree Tilt.  

I'm not sure if that's why these menu items were put on there, someone can answer that, but I found it as a workaround when the Ronin2 did not want to settle, reset to zero, and work as it should - esp if properly balanced.  Maybe it can help others, but I did learn this today, and know it, and want to share it.  

Maybe you've encountered some workarounds...reply below if you do or let me know if I am wrong in what I am doing.  

I have been told by former engineers/testers that the rig is strong - its meant to be beaten - and so it can be handled with a bit more force at times.

thank you for reading

here is my info if you wish to know more about me:

I am a DP based in LA and a new Ronin 2 owner/operator/tech...this is all new but I do find it challenging. thank you!!
My reel:
alejandrolalinde.net
IG:  luminario_cine --- alejandrolalinde_dp
twitter: lalinde_dp
2018-9-23
Use props
LUMINARIO
lvl.2

LUMINARIO Posted at 2018-9-23 22:00
Today, during my actual shoot I experience the same things as stated above on the prep.

while balancing and on set, with the DP and director nearby, the rig started behaving erratically - panning back and forth with such force that I had to hold it tight or it would damage the Alexa Mini attached.  

sorry....

me again, just allowing to document the process.

ok...so after diagnosing the problem over at DJI Burbank the next day (monday) - I found its probably not best to pause the motors before switching the rig from underslung to overslung.  It may be effecting the gyros and computer that thinks its still underslung - def something for engineers to look over...

I did send a LOG file for further "computations" ;) lets see what the results say.

so, as a note, instead, I flip it. I manhandle the roll axis until the rig is right side up - as it should - not amazing sounding sometimes but she's a tough "mother" - she'll take it. and go!

looking forward to really challenging her with other mounts

cheers
2018-9-25
Use props
Flo the Pirate
lvl.4
Austria

Today, during my actual shoot I experience the same things as stated above on the prep.

while balancing and on set, with the DP and director nearby, the rig started behaving erratically - panning back and forth with such force that I had to hold it tight or it would damage the Alexa Mini attached.  

damn - this sounds like a horror story I experienced few years ago with another brand gimbal .... the whole set is waiting and the gimbal is freaking out ... what a mess.

2018-9-28
Use props
LUMINARIO
lvl.2
United States

Flo the Pirate Posted at 2018-9-28 05:44
damn - this sounds like a horror story I experienced few years ago with another brand gimbal .... the whole set is waiting and the gimbal is freaking out ... what a mess.

oh my God! thanks for replying Flo - not many say anything on this forum - even moderators!  yea, def a nightmare, and this forum is here to share these kinds of experiences.  

I hope things go smoothly from here and maybe the engineers take into account some of the things needed.

thanks for responding!
2018-9-28
Use props
djiuser_KCPDwS2CFXeA
lvl.1

Hi Luminario,
same problem but my ronin start to spin pan axis like a washing machine...
did you solved your problem?
2019-9-6
Use props
djiuser_KCPDwS2CFXeA
lvl.1

I tried everything, calibrations and downgrading and upgrading.
Dji support is not fast for Italy and I'm on set.
2019-9-6
Use props
djiuser_xviHplQbREL9
lvl.1

Today, during my actual shoot I experience the same things as stated above on the prep.

while balancing and on set, with the DP and director nearby, the rig started behaving erratically - panning back and forth with such force that I had to hold it tight or it would damage the Alexa Mini attached.  

Thank you for sharing this experience. I haven’t ran into this issue - I have been pausing my motors when flipping. So it’s weird that one Ronin 2 behaves differently from another. I’m going to try flipping with motors engaged and see what happens. I’m so nervous to change ANYTHING that’s working on set because of ending up in a situation like you describe.
2019-9-30
Use props
Animatek
lvl.1

Germany

I had troubles with the default center orientation. When it stars it pans 180°
2019-11-8
Use props
djiuser_IKeKrcjhl2Kp
New

Ireland

I'm adding to this thread even though it's an old one as I have been experiencing some similar issues. I've always flipped to upright mode and back to underslung by pausing the motors and manually turning everything then turning the motors back on. Sometimes get the horizon a little off balance when I do this so I'm trying to do it with the motors turned on while flipping instead. Can anyone tell me the correct way to do this, so that it flips seamlessly and doesn't go berserk. Does it matter what modes it is in, or what direction you turn it?
2019-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules