Focus while shooting Panos..?
1718 16 2018-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
reclaimednj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7260 ft
United States

Went out this evening to shoot some stills with my M2P and noticed that when shooting panos autofocus and manual focus is gone (no slider). It simply says "MF", with no actual ability to manually focus. With that said, is this normal? To me this seems odd, since you'd think that you'd want to make sure your subject is in focus before clicking the shutter, but that ability is gone... I'm using the latest firmware. From what I can tell in my processed image, it seems to be in focus. Should I assume it's focusing even though it says MF?

Here's a screenshot:
IMG_7746.PNG
2018-9-22
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

I should add, I also didn't understand why my shutter speed was highlighted red.. I was in manual mode, so not sure what it was alerting me too...
2018-9-22
Use props
MayhemLA
lvl.1

Yeah, I have also been looking for an answer on this. It seems like the end pano is fine, but it is just a little unsettling while actually shooting.
2018-9-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I believe that’s the same with all dji drones at least consumer ones, panoramas work out much better when taken manually and some small post editing.
2018-9-24
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-24 15:14
I believe that’s the same with all dji drones at least consumer ones, panoramas work out much better when taken manually and some small post editing.

I checked out the pano feature on the P4P and the ability to focus is there (tap to focus). I definitely do post process and merge photos using LR. Here is a recent pano photo on Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/29WZx42

I'm not sure if this is a bug in the latest firmware or what... I don't recall not having the ability to focus before updating to the latest firmware.

Also, I still don't know why my shutter speed is highlighted red.. That does not go away in any mode or after adjusting shutter speed.

Wondering if this is the same for other M2P users. Probably going to contact support today.
2018-9-25
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

MayhemLA Posted at 2018-9-24 15:04
Yeah, I have also been looking for an answer on this. It seems like the end pano is fine, but it is just a little unsettling while actually shooting.

Yeah, very odd since the P4P has tap to focus for panos... Is your shutter speed highlighted red like mine in the screen shot on one of my previous posts?
2018-9-25
Use props
viet.trandinhtruc
lvl.4
Vietnam

I think it is a bug of this firmware, on P4P everytime you start to shoot Pano you can tap to focus, but I can not make the same on M2P.
2018-9-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

viet.trandinhtruc Posted at 2018-9-25 06:16
I think it is a bug of this firmware, on P4P everytime you start to shoot Pano you can tap to focus, but I can not make the same on M2P.

Have you tried to half-press the shutter button to focus?

And just take them yourself for stitching in Lightroom. I just guess where to pan/tilt and overlap a lot. You’ll get a ‘flatter’ result versus the GoPro effect JPEG.

2018-9-25
Use props
viet.trandinhtruc
lvl.4
Vietnam

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 2018-9-25 06:31
Have you tried to half-press the shutter button to focus?

And just take them yourself for stitching in Lightroom. I just guess where to pan/tilt and overlap a lot. You’ll get a ‘flatter’ result versus the GoPro effect JPEG.

I have not tried to use the remote for pano, I will try it later, and you already tried it ?
2018-9-26
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

It took me a bit to notice this but yes it does revert to MF.  However as I always like to check focus before a pano, I just hit AF, get confirmation then switch to MF, then go to the pano mode.  So far it seems that the camera stays in the last focus position.   

Paul C
2018-9-26
Use props
viet.trandinhtruc
lvl.4
Vietnam

paul2660 Posted at 2018-9-26 07:43
It took me a bit to notice this but yes it does revert to MF.  However as I always like to check focus before a pano, I just hit AF, get confirmation then switch to MF, then go to the pano mode.  So far it seems that the camera stays in the last focus position.   

Paul C

There is nothing in the manual mention about it.

IMO, it should be a bug. I already had P4P and Spark and they do not have this same issue.
2018-9-27
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

I have a support ticket for this. Sent them more info, as asked by engineers, to hopefully provide a fix. I do think autofocus occurs, but it's not indicated on the liveview in GO4 (I had focus peaking on and manually put out of focus before going into pano mode and saw the peaking change).
2018-10-4
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

reclaimednj Posted at 2018-9-25 04:46
I checked out the pano feature on the P4P and the ability to focus is there (tap to focus). I definitely do post process and merge photos using LR. Here is a recent pano photo on Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/29WZx42

I'm not sure if this is a bug in the latest firmware or what... I don't recall not  having the ability to focus before updating to the latest firmware.

That P4P pano is solid! Has I real crispness to it I'm not seeing from the MP2 Panos
2018-10-4
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, Bussty. Still haven't heard anything back from support on this. Guess they're working on a fix?
2018-10-9
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

reclaimednj Posted at 2018-10-9 15:09
Thanks, Bussty. Still haven't heard anything back from support on this. Guess they're working on a fix?

If they fix this or not - for sure is:
There is no need at all to focus in mid-air with a wide angle lense.
Considering that panos are usually not taken at a distance of 6 feet there will be no difference between settings for infinity or very close - even if you can set focus.

I would call the MF lock for panos a smart feature since it'll probably speed up the process.
Not sure about my last pano with the P4P but I have a slight memory that it was re-focussing on every shot - that's entirely stupid.

2018-10-10
Use props
VooDooZG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55128 ft
Croatia

Bussty Posted at 2018-10-4 19:28
That P4P pano is solid! Has I real crispness to it I'm not seeing from the MP2 Panos

Because you don't know how to take it on M2P, I have M2P and pano is absolute perfect sharp and with great DR as you can see many on internet now...

Just tap focus before in normal picture mode and than switch to pano and take it ....

It is insane how long will this trashing of M2P last - and drone is absolute marvel
2018-10-11
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
United States

I don't think anyone is trashing the M2P. Simply stating an issue, which seems to have been addressed in latest firmware update.

It is a great aircraft. Not sure about the camera though. Mine had to be sent in for repairs due to part of my images being consistently out of focus... hopefully I can marvel over photos I get when mine is returned with a fully functional camera.
2018-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules