12282 28 2018-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't tend to have any issues flying, but recently I have been having CALIBRATE COMPASS pop up on start up.....ALL THE TIME.

The last updates I've done are from March 8th......as far as I know.

Well,  I finally took a look at the IMU/Compass area, and noticed the COMPASS 2 = DISCONNECTED

I have not not had any issues flying, and have NOT calibrated compass each time it asked.....unless I was 50 miles away from the last calibration.....which I was...twice.

But now,  I have flown 4 times in the same area....each time CALIBRATE COMPASS pop up on start up.  Well I wait for the IMU to complete warm up....take off and all is fine, or so I think.........

Ideas?

Randy
2018-9-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had. Is it possible to try a different location? Kindly check as well if there are large metal objects surrounding the area. Thank you.
2018-9-23
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

"Well,  I finally took a look at the IMU/Compass area, and noticed the COMPASS 2 = DISCONNECTED"

I don't have the P4P, but on my P4 & Mavic Pro which both have dual compass' I would expect to see readings on both. Looks like you have a fault on 2nd compass.
2018-9-23
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You only seed one, so it should be fine to fly
2018-9-23
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-9-23 10:25
You only seed one, so it should be fine to fly

It has been flying fine.  Even today, a short clip in 25mph wind.......

Gusting to 30.......I even took her to 300ft......did fine in that wind.....and NO I don't usually fly in that kind of wind, but have a wedding to do at this location in 2 weeks, and wanted to get my feet wet.

Randy
2018-9-23
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-9-23 04:11
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had. Is it possible to try a different location? Kindly check as well if there are large metal objects surrounding the area. Thank you.

Been all over,  no metal, no nothing.......

Keep in mind,  it shows COMPASS 2 DISCONNECTED........COMPASS 1 IS IN THE GREEN ALL THE TIME.

Sorry 'bout the caps.....

Randy
2018-9-23
Use props
Dex
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814767 ft
Australia

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-9-23 13:10
Been all over,  no metal, no nothing.......

Keep in mind,  it shows COMPASS 2 DISCONNECTED........COMPASS 1 IS IN THE GREEN ALL THE TIME.

If it's still in warranty, send it in ASAP.
2018-9-23
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dex Posted at 2018-9-23 23:50
If it's still in warranty, send it in ASAP.

Yup.....that's what I'm thinking.

I'll check with the local Authorized shop first.......hopefully it just came unplugged.

Randy
2018-9-24
Use props
ATJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17736 ft

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-9-24 08:37
Yup.....that's what I'm thinking.

I'll check with the local Authorized shop first.......hopefully it just came unplugged.

Under the Landing Gear Covers are the compass connections, the wire snaps onto the compass. One of these wires may have come loose.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-DJ ... :g:zSYAAOSwADxbXG2r
2018-9-24
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Is there a proper way to get these covers OFF,  without breaking tabs?

Compass 2,   looking from back to front,  right or left leg?

Thank you
Randy
2018-9-24
Use props
ATJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17736 ft

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-9-24 10:16
Is there a proper way to get these covers OFF,  without breaking tabs?

Compass 2,   looking from back to front,  right or left leg?

Gently bending the Landing Gear outwards.

2018-9-24
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>

Thank you for that!

I have dropped off the P4Pro and RC to the local Authorized Dealer,  Drones Made Easy in San Diego, Ca.  They should be able to look at the situation today......I will report back.  Hopefully this is a simple Warranty repair, as she's still within warranty period!!

Thank you for all the replies

Randy
2018-9-25
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

OK,  just got the call back!

I had previously done all the calibrations, IMU, Compass, Vision, Gimbal .......but over the last month or so, I was getting the "Calibrate Compass" at start up......ignoring it most of the time.

There was NO HARDWARE issue.  The tech started up everything, and watched for my description of the issue....including seeing Compass 2 Disconnected.   He then went thru all calibrations and noticed after Vision, then Gimbal ( IMU was First ) he then saw that the Compass 2 was no longer an issue.....it was working as expected.

Last he calibrated the Compass.......all is normal and as it should be.

I never would have thought going thru THAT process would have solved a ( What appeared to be ) HARDWARE ISSUE.   

Thanks again for playing!

Randy
2018-9-25
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>

I was able to get out today and fly 1 battery.....wanted more but.......  She started up and operated perfectly.  Both Compass' were there and showing correctly.

A big SHOUT OUT to Drones Made Easy of San Diego, Ca !!   They got me through this little issue in less than 2 days, for exactly what they said.  The bird is still under Warranty, but this was not that kind of issue.

So I, as a customer am very happy!  I expected to pay X  +  Y,  but I paid  X which was more than reasonable!  The bird is still under Warranty, because DJI's Authorized Dealer took care of business!!

Thanks guys

Randy
2018-9-26
Use props
jumping
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40141 ft
United States

For what it's worth , I had a helluva time getting my bird to fly after I worked on the gimbal which of course required the removal of the top case. And wouldn't you know it , the plug at the rear was disconnected , which easily happens when putting it all back together. I plugged it in and Voila , she's up and running again. And one last thing ,I have confirmed that Compass 1 is the compass at the rear, that might help with diagnosing.  
2019-3-27
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

What does it say now w/ Compass 2 after calibrating the VPS?
2019-5-26
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jumping Posted at 3-27 18:26
For what it's worth , I had a helluva time getting my bird to fly after I worked on the gimbal which of course required the removal of the top case. And wouldn't you know it , the plug at the rear was disconnected , which easily happens when putting it all back together. I plugged it in and Voila , she's up and running again. And one last thing ,I have confirmed that Compass 1 is the compass at the rear, that might help with diagnosing.

Where is the Compass 2 wire?
2019-5-26
Use props
OY Andrea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 737198 ft
Denmark

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-9-25 13:13

I had previously done all the calibrations, IMU, Compass, Vision, Gimbal .......but over the last month or so, I was getting the "Calibrate Compass" at start up......ignoring it most of the time.

Hi there I just want to understand you right - so the issue was fixed with a vision calibration?? sounds incredibly! I'm not having the exact same issue, mine is flying off course - when i push the stick straight foward it yaws to the left while going forward and right, a real mess
2019-5-26
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-26 02:04
Where is the Compass 2 wire?

behind one of the small leg covers, gently bend the legs outwards to pop the covers off, see post 9, i copied what he put
2019-5-26
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-26 18:06
behind one of the small leg covers, gently bend the legs outwards to pop the covers off, see post 9, i copied what he put

I'm not touching it.  Just going to get it swapped or refunded.  The P4P V2.0 is way better than the Zoom but you get no zoom functionality.  It's not like it matters though..  C4K60 is amazing.  I'm not sure what to do.  Sell Zoom and Spark, Keep everything, refund P4P V2.0, swap it or what.  The camera quality in the air is way better than anything I've seen on the Zoom.  The footage seems a bit smoother because of the design but when the P4P V2.0 is smooth the quality is tons better.

I don't even bother using any other mode than C4K60 lol

2.7k60 for Mavic 2

Spark is 1080p30 which sucks but is great enough on a Very sunny day.  I've stopped making good movies that I was doing on the Spark every since I went Mavic 2 Zoom because it's more fun to fly than make vids in post!
2019-5-26
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-9-26 18:10
I was able to get out today and fly 1 battery.....wanted more but.......  She started up and operated perfectly.  Both Compass' were there and showing correctly.

A big SHOUT OUT to Drones Made Easy of San Diego, Ca  !!   They got me through this little issue in less than 2 days, for exactly what they said.  The bird is still under Warranty, but this was not that kind of issue.

Good result mate - always best to be safe in these situations
2019-5-27
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 5-26 01:53
What does it say now w/ Compass 2 after calibrating the VPS?

The 2 compass' showed a small green dot on the left side of the gauge.
2019-5-27
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 5-27 15:51
The 2 compass' showed a small green dot on the left side of the gauge.

compass 1 and 2 have small green dots next to them?
2019-5-27
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 5-27 18:21
compass 1 and 2 have small green dots next to them?

Yes,    that means they are both working properly.
2019-5-28
Use props
djiuser_1TtUJxZYIrGT
New

Ghana

Hi. I bought a new phantom 4 pro v2 and cannot fly it. I don't know what to look out for. I see most drones have green light under the props before fly, mine is still red. Pls help me

16036210396006200022135546466525.jpg
16036210838553423564362171475510.jpg
2020-10-25
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Put an SD Card into the drone.....

Start with updating your drone.  Calibrate IMU,  Gimbal,  Compass in that order.

Then go outside where you can get some satellites ......

Randy
2020-10-26
Use props
StuUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23146 ft

United Kingdom

rwynant V1 Posted at 2020-10-26 19:31
Put an SD Card into the drone.....

Start with updating your drone.  Calibrate IMU,  Gimbal,  Compass in that order.

This is very good info thanks
My P4P suddenly started showing continuous compass error with compass 2 disconnected.
I tried recal compass and IMU to no avail.

I then read this post and calibrated the IMU, vision sensors and compass in that order and it has cleared the error with green dots next to both compasses.

Thanks again!
2021-5-28
Use props
djiuser_c3K62JvJWhyj
New

United Kingdom

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-9-25 13:13

Hi. Can I just check that you mean the vision calibration using a PC, rather than a function from the DJI Go 4 app? Thanks
2-11 06:50
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_c3K62JvJWhyj Posted at 2-11 06:50
Hi. Can I just check that you mean the vision calibration using a PC, rather than a function from the DJI Go 4 app? Thanks

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out. the vision sensor calibration can also be done on a computer using the DJI Assistant 2 instead of using the DJI Go 4 app via Quick Calibration. For a tutorial, you can check it on the DJI official website or use this link: https://support.dji.com/help/con ... p;re=US&lang=en. You can also refer to the video below:

Have a great day ahead.
2-11 20:44
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules