Crashed during Active Track. What's the reason?
4945 23 2018-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ShoTorhead
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31988 ft
Georgia

Hello

Here is the log of the flight. I hope i chose the correct file
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/74PG6MAKF8FIRJYYOC6K/

Did an active track, tracking my car. The ground wasn't elevating. Not sure why did the AC decrease it's alltitude.

Here is the video.

Please let me know what is wrong, so i can avoid it in the future.
And why didn't OA work and stop it from crashing? (it was definitely on)
Thanks

2018-9-23
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft

It's a known issue with the newest firmware, many people have shown videos where the drone suddenly dives in using active track.
DJI is not fixing it for some reason.
2018-9-23
Use props
ShoTorhead
lvl.1
Georgia

saviour Posted at 2018-9-23 05:37
It's a known issue with the newest firmware, many people have shown videos where the drone suddenly dives in using active track.
DJI is not fixing it for some reason.

I do not have the newest firmware. I am still on the previous one, i think .400 if i remember correctly.
2018-9-23
Use props
saviour
lvl.4

.400 is the newest firmware.
2018-9-23
Use props
ShoTorhead
lvl.1
Georgia

saviour Posted at 2018-9-23 06:18
.400 is the newest firmware.

.500 is the latest
2018-9-23
Use props
saviour
lvl.4

Oh sorry, I thought your drone is the MA. Well, at the MA it's as I said often reported that the drone dives down... I'd open a ticket and hope for warranty if something is damaged.
2018-9-23
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Hope you did not suffer too much damage!

Does anyone knows if active track uses baro height or vps height?

Weird to see that while the MP is descending the baro height remains the same! (oke, not that accurate but 6 meter difference should be noticed).
Looks like that the active track looses the car when the white side-boards on the road are spotted.

Wish you had a screen recorder active, those recordings are so valueable to see what was on the GoApp screen.

Did you pitched down by accident while driving the car? see at ID 630  ;-)

cheers
JJB
analysis2.png
2018-9-23
Use props
ShoTorhead
lvl.1
Georgia

JJBspark Posted at 2018-9-23 06:31
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I am not sure if i did. Don't think so.
Yes, it's very bad i didn't have screen recording

My friend told me it could have happened because of the ground elevation, but i really do not think this is the case, according to the video, right?

I also think that's(White side boards) when AT messed things up, but why didn't OA work?

P.S.
Also, double checking, this seems to be the correct recording right? Because there are couple and i wasn't sure which one was crash. This one seems correct one?

2018-9-23
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ShoTorhead Posted at 2018-9-23 06:39
Thank you for your reply.

I am not sure if i did. Don't think so.

Hi ShoTorHead,

Hard to tell from the video how much the elevation is, approx 130 meter with 6 meters (not feet!) ascend.
You been there...so you can tell us.

Another weird thing is that the mode changed back to GPS mode from ActiveTrack and back again.
And now 100% pitch up for short period.

Why OA did not work, don`t know (have to read the manual again)

cheers
JJB

2018-9-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry for the trouble that you experienced. Regarding that concern, I would suggest to reach out one of our support channels just go to this link https://www.dji.com/support for you to have an assistance about the concern and create you a case if it's possible for further investigation and to find out as well what could be the cause.
2018-9-23
Use props
ShoTorhead
lvl.1
Georgia

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-9-23 09:07
Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry for the trouble that you experienced. Regarding that concern, I would suggest to reach out one of our support channels just go to this link https://www.dji.com/support for you to have an assistance about the concern and create you a case if it's possible for further investigation and to find out as well what could be the cause.

Thanks! I will do it , but i am no longer in USA. And there is no DJI official repair centers nearby, so i won't be able to send it in. Should i still contact support group?
2018-9-23
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

That was depressing to watch that. I bet you felt sick seeing it go down sooo slowly. It looked like it was on a downwards path from the get go
2018-9-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry see that - hope you get it sorted with DJI soon.
2018-9-23
Use props
fans5c7ee34c
lvl.3
Flight distance : 221532 ft

Hi,

What software is this ? It looks great.
2018-9-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

In video it looks like drone started out with enough height to make it well past where road disappears (down hill).  Around TimeMark 0:13, drone pitches slightly forward heading for ground.
2018-9-26
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

for shame DJI. I just do not trust any autonomous DJI functions for this reason and fear of hurting others.
2018-9-27
Use props
G_Sig
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-26 18:41
In video it looks like drone started out with enough height to make it well past where road disappears (down hill).  Around TimeMark 0:13, drone pitches slightly forward heading for ground.

You might bee right. This is what Google Earth show.
2018-9-27
Use props
ShoTorhead
lvl.1
Georgia

This is the LAST time i am using Active Track.
2018-9-27
Use props
JordanM
lvl.4
United States

2018-10-11
Use props
MyPC8MyBrain
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1480 ft
United States

same thing happened to me today, waypoints with proper elevation, it was flying at its right elevation when it decided to just descend into a mountain side for no reason
brand new unit just released last week with the new smart controller bundle, 2000$ down the drain DJI!

but keep giving free drones to your YouTube promoters instead of taking care of your actual customers,
this is not an operator mistake as it was operating waypoint on its own, unlike the video above mine decided to dive on the side of the Hollywood sign mountain,

i was watching it the whole time; it happened so fast i wasn't expecting it as it did the steps prior perfect and than just went down with at least 90% power as it just started the route and was at point 6 out of 97,
what now DJI, i trusted you!
2019-2-6
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6280 ft
Kazakhstan

Wow, that is truly heart wrenching to watch. Did you discover what/why this happened and did DJI fix the drone for you? Looks like there wasn't much you could have done to change this one!
2019-2-7
Use props
photographermarbella
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6280 ft
Kazakhstan

MyPC8MyBrain Posted at 2-6 18:43
same thing happened to me today, waypoints with proper elevation, it was flying at its right elevation when it decided to just descend into a mountain side for no reason  
brand new unit just released last week with the new smart controller bundle, 2000$ down the drain DJI!

Yea, I know what you mean. It's easy to sell the goods not so easy to sort out the issues! When its automated flight you don't have much time to cancel when you see it going wrong as you just assume it know what it's doing! Good luck and tell me how you get on.
2019-2-7
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Hi,

You have a point here.... something weird happening with barometer.
Either it does not get readings too frequently or sensitivity is very bad... 6 meters should have  been sensed.
2019-2-7
Use props
MyPC8MyBrain
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1480 ft
United States

three weeks later being extremely compliant with DJI engineers in hope they can find the bug and fix it,
logs show unit lost signal with remote and changed modes and decided landing on its own,

i contacted their support to report this, i never asked for replacement once,
they were more concerned in getting their hands on my logs which i also uploaded to AirData to decipher, logs clearly show  the bug!
they never once said i did something wrong in my operations, but they refuse to admit the bug is there when its clearly shown to them black on white
2019-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules