Bulging batteries mavic pro
2799 15 2018-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
overkillphil
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80226 ft
United States

two of my three batteris are bulding, one  the info plant under the battery is flat like when I bought the drone,  two of the info plates are swelling up like a zit,  whats wrong with them ?

Phil.

bulging battery base

bulging battery base
2018-9-23
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

They are defective, send them back to DJI. They need replacement, don't fly with them.
2018-9-23
Use props
Strobing_NYC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

over heated, depending on usage you may be able to warranty. We all know how easy dealing with DJI is so maybe better to buy new batteries. These don't last forever I got about 8 -10 months of daily use before mine swelled in hot weather.  
2018-9-23
Use props
overkillphil
lvl.1
United States

Strobing_NYC Posted at 2018-9-23 16:23
over heated, depending on usage you may be able to warranty. We all know how easy dealing with DJI is so maybe better to buy new batteries. These don't last forever I got about 8 -10 months of daily use before mine swelled in hot weather.

Both take a charge and I get plenty of time out of them. Im using a multi charger as well not dhi's   I was thinking the batteries were being cooked by the charger but their cold,  one bad and the good one are charging as I'm typing this and both batteries are 81 and 82 degrees,  it's 78 in my office so charging their NOT being cooked,     gremlins  
2018-9-23
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

one of my mavic air batteries is inflated too :/  first time i ever been affected by a bad dji battery. makes me wonder given i seen a few of these defective battery posts and i experianced it myself if dji is having issues making batteries..some plant they got is doing something wrong..
im waiting on dji to approve a replacement, i told them i cannot ship a ballooned battery in the mail, against the rules.. cannot ship damaged lithium batteries because risk of fire..  waiting on them to get back to me and just send me anopther so i can take this one to recycling center instead of leaivng it outside incase decides it wants to turn into a fire..
2018-9-23
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

If those batteries are under warranty, DJI support will most likely replace them with just a photo of the damage. It's not safe to ship them in the mail (or charge and/or fly with them).
2018-9-23
Use props
Packer Backer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240948 ft
United States

overkillphil Posted at 2018-9-23 16:57
Both take a charge and I get plenty of time out of them. Im using a multi charger as well not dhi's   I was thinking the batteries were being cooked by the charger but their cold,  one bad and the good one are charging as I'm typing this and both batteries are 81 and 82 degrees,  it's 78 in my office so charging their NOT being cooked,     gremlins

having dealt with batteries across a few hobbies I can say your playing with fire if you continue to use the swollen battery. It is a accident possibly explosion if it can not vent  correctly waiting to happen.

Man be safe it is not worth the risk. It is not worth the battery exploding while your drone is in the air and possibly hurting someone much less exploding in your house or where ever you charge your battery.  Google battery explosions and then do the math.
2018-9-23
Use props
overkillphil
lvl.1
United States

Packer Backer Posted at 2018-9-23 17:26
having dealt with batteries across a few hobbies I can say your playing with fire if you continue to use the swollen battery. It is a accident possibly explosion if it can not vent  correctly waiting to happen.

Man be safe it is not worth the risk. It is not worth the battery exploding while your drone is in the air and possibly hurting someone much less exploding in your house or where ever you charge your battery.  Google battery explosions and then do the math.

I'm already looking at new ones,   I've been dealing with electronic from the time I got my ham license back in 66`  I've see plenty of battery explosions, I've seen what they can do,   I had a single cell explode in one of my duty lights a Sure-Fire,   it blew the led bulb/lens combo and glass across my basement I never did find all the parts that blew up.   lately with the new generation of batteries they're a ticking time bomb even if they seem to be in good health. sooo  sure off to the store I go..  not sure if I should send them to DJI and see what they say or just take em to the shooting range and say bye bye trouble makers
2018-9-23
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bet on the last flight with that battery it was slightly out of place when it landed.   If it swells much more it can pop itself out of place during flight.   Just lost my 3 originals to swelling in less than a month.   They were almost 2 years old.   I think they gave me very good service.
2018-9-23
Use props
Packer Backer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240948 ft
United States

overkillphil Posted at 2018-9-23 18:03
I'm already looking at new ones,   I've been dealing with electronic from the time I got my ham license back in 66`  I've see plenty of battery explosions, I've seen what they can do,   I had a single cell explode in one of my duty lights a Sure-Fire,   it blew the led bulb/lens combo and glass across my basement I never did find all the parts that blew up.   lately with the new generation of batteries they're a ticking time bomb even if they seem to be in good health. sooo  sure off to the store I go..  not sure if I should send them to DJI and see what they say or just take em to the shooting range and say bye bye trouble makers

Good to hear ...

As for shipping back to DJI they will not take any damaged batteries. This is part of the shipping document that I had ..

4. Do not ship swollen, punctured, or visibly damaged batteries. If you do ship batteries in this condition, we are required to recycle them and cannot ship them back to you. If your battery was damaged in a crash and you would like to be considered for warranty replacement of the battery, you will need to provide a proof of purchase, pictures of the damage, and serial number(s) for each battery affected in the package you ship to us.

I would call them  phone support has been semi helpful to me a lot of canned responses but they can walk you through the warranty claim.
2018-9-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't fly with them - did you leave them inside your car?
2018-9-23
Use props
overkillphil
lvl.1
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-9-23 18:30
Don't fly with them - did you leave them inside your car?

I was flying in the yard today with them,  and no I would never leave anything like that in a hot car,  
2018-9-23
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

overkillphil Posted at 2018-9-23 18:33
I was flying in the yard today with them,  and no I would never leave anything like that in a hot car,

Don't fly with them.
There have been reports of swollen batteries forcing open their latch, battery ejects in mid-flight and kiss your bird goodbye
2018-9-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

overkillphil Posted at 2018-9-23 18:33

Seems strange they would just swell up from just 1 flight, usually it takes time for the batteries to swell and they progressively get worse.
2018-9-24
Use props
overkillphil
lvl.1
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-9-24 09:04
Seems strange they would just swell up from just 1 flight, usually it takes time for the batteries to swell and they progressively get worse.

one flight ?,  my drone has been in the air 151 times,  these batteries have been in the air who knows they get rotated a lot sooo guessing 50 times each give or take,   flown a distance of 60,582 ft not sure where you got first time flying them...  
2018-9-24
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

overkillphil Posted at 2018-9-24 11:41
one flight ?,  my drone has been in the air 151 times,  these batteries have been in the air who knows they get rotated a lot sooo guessing 50 times each give or take,   flown a distance of 60,582 ft not sure where you got first time flying them...

The batteries should last 1+ years of regular consistent use. You seem to have normal use, it sounds like you fly in moist and damp weather?
2018-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules