Sensor Disablement and Tripod Mode
4250 10 2018-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nermie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56795 ft
Australia

[size=14.000000953674316px]Does anyone know if disabling the sensors affects other Flight Modes, i.e Tripod Mode?
[size=14.000000953674316px]

[size=14.000000953674316px]I was doing some filming/flying where I needed to fly through a narrow gap between some shrubby trees. I was using Tripod mode as it allowed a slow and steady flight path, but when It neared the trees, obstacle avoidance kicked in and the drone stopped and hovered. By turning off the Obstacle sensors, I could carefully fly through but then Tripod mode seemed to be disabled and the drone was flying fast and with faster flight control movement sensitivity. The switch on the side was still on Tripod Mode.[size=14.000000953674316px]

[size=14.000000953674316px]If obstacle sensor disablement does disable other Flight Modes (e.g Tripod or Tap n Fly, etc) can anyone recommend a way to allow slow and deliberate smooth flight whilst having sensors disabled or their sensitivity distance greatly reduced.  Thanks

2018-9-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. We will check this with our engineers to see if this could possibly be done. Your patience is highly appreciated.
2018-9-24
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

I too would like to use one of the 5d buttons to disable OA.  When I try to land with objects close, I put it in Sport mode which disables OA.  That works for me in landing, but maneuvering around trees would be a concern.
2018-9-25
Use props
Nermie
lvl.2
Australia

I have tried to recreate this situation as my further research seemed to provide conflicting results.
2018-9-25
Use props
Nermie
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-24 14:31
Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. We will check this with our engineers to see if this could possibly be done. Your patience is highly appreciated.

I have done some further research on this matter and would still like some guidance,

1.  I read in the User manual that if the OA sensors are disabled, the Drone reverts to ATTI mode, which is a P-Mode. This (whilst not helpful) seemed to explain why when I disabled the OA sensors, the Drone was not flying like it was in Tripod Mode (although the switch on the remote controller was definitely turned to the T setting).

2 I watched a Philip Bloom Youtube video on the Mavic 2 pro and he said that he prefers to use Tripod mode with the OA sensors disabled for better flight control in tight situations. I contacted him about my experience and he assured me that Tripod mode worked fine for him with OA sensors disabled (which is Contrary to what the User manual says should happen).

3. So i tried it again today with Drone. I was flying in Tripod mode and then I turned off all the OA sensors and my Drone continued to fly normally in Tripod mode. Whilst I am glad this is the case I would like DJI experts to advise what may have occurred earlier in the week (it was definitely not flying Tripod mode then despite the switch being set to T) and to reconcile this experience with the User manual info in (1)
2018-9-25
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Nermie Posted at 2018-9-25 20:16
I have done some further research on this matter and would still like some guidance,

1.  I read in the User manual that if the OA sensors are disabled, the Drone reverts to ATTI mode, which is a P-Mode. This (whilst not helpful) seemed to explain why when I disabled the OA sensors, the Drone was not flying like it was in Tripod Mode (although the switch on the remote controller was definitely turned to the T setting).

I believe with 1. you have misunderstood something. When you disable the OA sensors the aircraft does not switch to ATTI mode. The manual correctly explains that when there is no GPS link (OPTI mode), the downward sensors help it positioning (which only works if in the range of the sensors). This is called Visual Positioning System (VPS) and is unrelated to the OA sensors.
2018-9-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Turn off OA
select multiple flight modes
Ensure you have a strong GPS signal
select Tripod mode
Fly!
2018-9-25
Use props
Nermie
lvl.2
Australia

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-25 22:30
I believe with 1. you have misunderstood something. When you disable the OA sensors the aircraft does not switch to ATTI mode. The manual correctly explains that when there is no GPS link (OPTI mode), the downward sensors help it positioning (which only works if in the range of the sensors). This is called Visual Positioning System (VPS) and is unrelated to the OA sensors.

Upon re reading the manual, which reads p. 13

"The aircraft automatically changes to Attitude (ATTI) Mode when the Vision systems are unavailable or disabled and when the GPS signal is weak or the compass experiences interference."

There are many ands and ors in the above statement.  Reading it again I interpret that if the OA Sensors are disabled AND the GPS signal becomes weak, the Drone automatically switches to ATTI Mode. Because of this AND, it would also read that it would not switch to ATTI mode by loss of GPS Signal alone. It must be in combination with other causes.
2018-9-26
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Nermie Posted at 2018-9-26 00:18
Upon re reading the manual, which reads p. 13

"The aircraft automatically changes to Attitude (ATTI) Mode when the Vision systems are unavailable or disabled and when the GPS signal is weak or the compass experiences interference."

You are right. Just to add that the VPS sensors only work reliably up to 11 meters height. If the GPS link gets lost while the aircraft is out of the range of the VPS sensors it will directly switch to ATTI mode, no matter if OA is active or not.
2018-9-26
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-26 02:10
You are right. Just to add that the VPS sensors only work reliably up to 11 meters height. If the GPS link gets lost while the aircraft is out of the range of the VPS sensors it will directly switch to ATTI mode, no matter if OA is active or not.

This thing with the 11m is an interesting part for me. I know from the P4P the ultrasonic downward sensors limit is 10m.
But the M2P is different since it has ultrasonic plus infrared downward sensors.

I asked this question in another forum without having gotten a reply.
Since I'm lazy I just paste my text here:

"Do vision/infrared work parallel to each other? I can't find anything about the difference.
Is infrared meant to be for low light situations?
The manual says vision system works up to 50m but may be affected above 11m.
I'm wondering if surface/light situation are factors which determine this."
2018-9-26
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

Eric13 Posted at 2018-9-26 13:03
This thing with the 11m is an interesting part for me. I know from the P4P the ultrasonic downward sensors limit is 10m.
But the M2P is different since it has ultrasonic plus infrared downward sensors.

This is a very good question and I hope that someone from DJI can answer it. Would be good to know for everyone.
2018-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules