Once in flight does the Mavic even need a compass???
1174 19 2018-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dronin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1688973 ft
Mexico

This is my second Mavic.  The 1st one did not have this problem.  This one shows compass interference when the gimbal is tilted from about 120-170 degrees.   I have flown it for 35 hours and know the condition well.  The interference is rectified completely when the camera angle is level or only slightly tilted forward (90-115 degrees) or at 180 degrees.  I have experimented and isolated the problem.  It can be create and rectified at will.  I observed that even when showing compass interference that I have complete control.   And that the indicator on the tablet turns in sync with the aircraft.  Therefore my question...  Other than on take off, landing and RTH... is there some danger in flying with it showing compass interference?  Can compass interference affect GPS? Or any other electronic feature that controls flight?   come on Captains...  please dig into your expertise.  I believe drones flew without compasses for years.  Thanks for your enlightenment.
2018-9-24
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

GPS cannot tell the Mavic what it's orientation is, only its location. Drones require compass to know what way they are pointed toward. Compass is the main sensor when hovering, but it's also involved in calculations while moving. My main problems have come from using concrete at a takeoff point. The Re-bar messes with the compass. Always takeoff from a surface that you know is re-bar or steel free.
2018-9-25
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. Compass calibration is important to have a safe, controlled flight. It compensates for changing background magnetic "noise", also known as the magnetic inclination and deviation. Inclination and deviation that isn't corrected through compass calibration will cause inconsistencies between GPS and compass that can result into a swirling motion that can cause the Mavic to fly out of control.
2018-9-26
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Mexico

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-26 02:16
Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. Compass calibration is important to have a safe, controlled flight. It compensates for changing background magnetic "noise", also known as the magnetic inclination and deviation. Inclination and deviation that isn't corrected through compass calibration will cause inconsistencies between GPS and compass that can result into a swirling motion that can cause the Mavic to fly out of control.

Thank you DJI Wanda.   
2018-9-26
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Mexico

TrevorSK Posted at 2018-9-25 18:23
GPS cannot tell the Mavic what it's orientation is, only its location. Drones require compass to know what way they are pointed toward. Compass is the main sensor when hovering, but it's also involved in calculations while moving. My main problems have come from using concrete at a takeoff point. The Re-bar messes with the compass. Always takeoff from a surface that you know is re-bar or steel free.

Imagine this...    all shows good to go...   short green bars both compasses...   take off.

hoover 15 ft up and 20 ft from home point....     tilt gimbal forward until it shows "interference, calibrate compass or move aircraft"        

If i just continue to hoover in that same spot.....  what can happen???    Can it just start swirling?

and then when I tilt the gimbal up...    no more interference....   Now what??  is the AC in danger of becoming disorientated with both compasses showing green bars?

I know that the DJI answer is "send it in"     However I am looking for more understanding of the actual problem.

thanks for any input.
2018-9-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Dronin Posted at 2018-9-26 08:21
Imagine this...    all shows good to go...   short green bars both compasses...   take off.

hoover 15 ft up and 20 ft from home point....     tilt gimbal forward until it shows "interference, calibrate compass or move aircraft"        

Have you got a Filter on Camera?  Possibly filter with ferrous (magnetic) metal mounting ring.

2018-9-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Dronin Posted at 2018-9-26 08:21

all shows good to go...   short green bars both compasses...   take off.

Does Mavic Pro's compass magnetic field interference bars change - from short green bars; to longer green bars or yellow or red bars when you tilt camera down?  

Or put another way, when you get message about magnetic interference from tilting camera - without changing anything what does compass bars show?

2018-9-26
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Mexico

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-26 08:48
all shows good to go...   short green bars both compasses...   take off.

Does Mavic Pro's compass magnetic field interference bars change - from short green bars; to longer green bars or yellow or red bars when you tilt camera down?  

Thanks for your thoughts Captain Hedgetrimmer.  I dont have a filter.     I can watch it go from green bars to yellow to red and sometimes even a message that says something like...  "maybe your compass is in backwards".  I have a 55 second video that shows it perfectly but cant upload it here.  (or havent figured out how)  I will see if I can upload some stills from the video.    It is consistent and predictable.   One buddy suggested I put electrical tape around the motor on the camera...   I will try that...
2018-9-26
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Dronin Posted at 2018-9-26 10:43
Thanks for your thoughts Captain Hedgetrimmer.  I dont have a filter.     I can watch it go from green bars to yellow to red and sometimes even a message that says something like...  "maybe your compass is in backwards".  I have a 55 second video that shows it perfectly but cant upload it here.  (or havent figured out how)  I will see if I can upload some stills from the video.    It is consistent and predictable.   One buddy suggested I put electrical tape around the motor on the camera...   I will try that...

DJI Forum here limits file sizes to roughly 2MBs.
What you can do is upload video to an online video server (like YouTube), then post a link here to video.
Another option is to upload video to a file server that allows flagging file for public download.  Then post a public link here to video.

2018-9-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

You're very welcome. Have a safe flight!
2018-9-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-26 02:16

That's a great piece of info
2018-9-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

A CW Posted at 2018-9-26 23:55
That's a great piece of info

Thank you, sir.
2018-9-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, thats what causes the drone to enter ATTI mode I guess. That's very much for clarifying how it happens.
2018-9-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

A CW Posted at 2018-9-26 23:59
Yeah, thats what causes the drone to enter ATTI mode I guess. That's very much for clarifying how it happens.

You're very much welcome. Please let us know if you still need more help.
2018-9-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-27 00:09
You're very much welcome. Please let us know if you still need more help.

Thanks you
2018-9-27
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Mexico

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-26 13:07
DJI Forum here limits file sizes to roughly 2MBs.
What you can do is upload video to an online video server (like YouTube), then post a link here to video.
Another option is to upload video to a file server that allows flagging file for public download.  Then post a public link here to video.

55 second video showing gimbal caused compass error

input / advise / opinions requested
2018-9-27
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Dronin Posted at 2018-9-27 09:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqIr731pDc8

I would say that this looks very strange, is it happening "everywhere" or only in this location?
It seems to be a lot of concrete and therefore a lot of hidden magnetic interference object, the "armor" in the concrete, steel bars? Don't rememeber the name of it now

It might be something broken in that AC, warranty issue perhaps?
2018-9-27
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Dronin Posted at 2018-9-27 09:30

Very good example of problem.
Suggest getting DJI support involved.  Open a case, and point them to video.

There is a chance that Camera / Gimbal itself has become magnetized.  Assuming there is steel (ferrous metal) inside Camera / Gimbal.  If Camera / Gimbal has become magnetized, then a De-magnetizing tool should de-magnetize Camera / Gimbal, and end the problem.

CFixer De-magnetizing tool

CFixer.jpg
2018-9-27
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Mexico

Flybee Posted at 2018-9-27 09:38
I would say that this looks very strange, is it happening "everywhere" or only in this location?
It seems to be a lot of concrete and therefore a lot of hidden magnetic interference object, the "armor" in the concrete, steel bars? Don't rememeber the name of it now

it happens everywhere.....    I have done 10 of these videos...   it happens when the drone is close or 3,000 ft away...  over land,  over water....  at 10'  and at 400'..   I will try what Captain Hedgetrimmer and another gentlemen suggested....   thanks for your help.

2018-9-27
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Mexico

Update on this problem...    I had grown use to flying with this handicap but suddenly the situation grew worse.  the gimbal would get stuck in different positions and I could not recalibrate it.  It would always lock up at 52% then give a "fail message".   I opened a ticket via calling DJI and they instructed me to send it to Heliboss in Mexico City.   I bought the drone in the USA and brought it to Mexico where I live.   They concluded that the front compass was bad and needed replaced.   On Monday they sent an email saying by Friday (today the 19th of Oct) they would have confirmation IF it would be covered by warranty.

I cant image why it would NOT be covered....  however my fear is that I saw a post where a guy from Austraila had a problem and DJI would NOT honor the warranty because he bought the drone in the USA.

If they give me that reasoning I will be quite frustrated...    waiting to hear.....

This should have been fixed and repaired by now...

it only took Heliboss a few minutes to find the problem and 5 days to get an answer from DJI....
2018-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules