Is anyone using an iPod Touch (6th Gen) with Osmo / Zenmuse M1?
3901 9 2018-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

[Posted 09/25/2018]
When I look at the specs/supported devices for DJI Go for the original Osmo I see that the 6th generation is supported.  

It has (basically) the same processor, camera, etc. as the iPhone 6/s.  I'm interested because I like the smaller form factor (weight and size) and could dedicate one to just for use with Osmo & Zenmuse M1.  Using a whole phone seems like way over-kill!  Plus, I can buy one with an older iOS version ( not the new 12.x ) which might conflict with that antique version of "Go" :-)

Anyone?

[10/31/2018] Update:Thanks for the replies.  I've had some success with the iPod using both Go4 and FilMic Pro.  If any "issues" it has been battery life, which was most noticible when filming a 4 hour timelapse at 1(second) intervals.  I anticipated short iPod battery life and connected it to a Mophie power bank.  I also connected the Osmo to a Mavic Pro battery via the DJI Battery Extender (a $25 expense but well worth it).  I tried a 30 minute timelapse with the same 1(sec) intervals using an iPhone 7 and it, too required about 50% battery.  FWIW, I also noted a recent article on getting the most from your cellphone batteries.  Apparently the best battery performance occurs when the battery is between 80% to 40%.  The top 20% 'burns' at a faster rate than the 20% from 80 to 60.  While this testing wasn't done on any DJI products, it was a general test to figure out how to make your batteries last longer.  If I can figure out a way to test it with the Osmo, I'll post the results on the forum.

2018-9-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. Apparently, using an outdated iOS will not provide the new update on the application because the DJI GO app is compatible with the latest iOS as well. You might want to check the specs of our M1. Please see the details below. Thank you for the support.

Dimensions: 125.06×109.15×90.98 mm (Folded)
Weight: 300g
Mobile Phone Width Range: 2.31-3.34 inch (58.6-84.8 mm) (from the iPhone SE to the iPhone 6s Plus and Android phones of similar sizes)
Wireless Model: Bluetooth Low Energy
2018-9-25
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-25 10:25
Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. Apparently, using an outdated iOS will not provide the new update on the application because the DJI GO app is compatible with the latest iOS as well. You might want to check the specs of our M1. Please see the details below. Thank you for the support.

Dimensions: 125.06×109.15×90.98 mm (Folded)

Thanks for your reply, Tony.  Could you please provide me with two links?  One for the Specs of the Zenmuse M1, and one for the Zenmuse Manual.  I cannot find either on the DJI.com website.  Thank you.
2018-9-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

WebParrot Posted at 2018-9-25 11:25
Thanks for your reply, Tony.  Could you please provide me with two links?  One for the Specs of the Zenmuse M1, and one for the Zenmuse Manual.  I cannot find either on the DJI.com website.  Thank you.

Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply. The information can be found in our store in regards to the M1 and you can use the manual of the Osmo mobile because they are similar. Kindly see the link for you to check the specs of this M1. Thank you for the support.

https://store.dji.com/product/os ... t-v2&position=0
2018-9-25
Use props
fansfb8ca911
lvl.2

I am using a ipod 6th generation and it works great.. HOWEVER the runtime is incredibly short.  15 minutes from full charge to total drain.  iOS 11.3.   Ever since I went to iOS 11 the battery drains quickly and charges quickly as if the battery gauge is incorrect.   I have picked up a $20 J-Tech USB battery charger (for charging iPods/iPads from the battery while on the go) and so that is my work around.   I don’t know if my ipod that checks out OK on the battery tests is really OK or if the WiFi plus the DJI GO app for the Osmo + drains the battery abnormally fast.   

2018-9-26
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansfb8ca911 Posted at 2018-9-26 19:34
I am using a ipod 6th generation and it works great.. HOWEVER the runtime is incredibly short.  15 minutes from full charge to total drain.  iOS 11.3.   Ever since I went to iOS 11 the battery drains quickly and charges quickly as if the battery gauge is incorrect.   I have picked up a $20 J-Tech USB battery charger (for charging iPods/iPads from the battery while on the go) and so that is my work around.   I don’t know if my ipod that checks out OK on the battery tests is really OK or if the WiFi plus the DJI GO app for the Osmo + drains the battery abnormally fast.

I've received my iPod (6th Gen) and was able to try it for a short video.  Didn't notice nor watch the battery, so -thanks- I'll keep an eye on it.

FWIW, mine 'came with' iOS 12 so that may affect 'something' ...  As they say, "actual results may vary."   I haven't received my Zenmuse M1 yet so am using the original Osmo.  I noticed that the device mount/hold clamps compress the on/off button all the way.  This happens regardless of the left/right orientation of the iPod in the mount.  I wonder if this 'somehow' causes some sort of draw on the battery.  (rhetorical, yes, but I'll watch that too)

[off topic]
Also, I've noticed some unique behavior of the battery level display.  I fully charged (overnight) with the iPod completely off.  When I turn it on, the icon displays as though it was a depleted battery (red outline).  When I open an App -any app- the display show about 70%, and when I close the App, the display shows as though fully charged.  This always happens when I completely close down. turn off, then restart the iPod.  Anyhow, there may be some software issue with measuring the battery capacity.

Thanks for your reply.  I'll definitely watch the battery level now.
2018-9-27
Use props
Sharky1
lvl.2
United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-9-27 04:50
I've received my iPod (6th Gen) and was able to try it for a short video.  Didn't notice nor watch the battery, so -thanks- I'll keep an eye on it.

FWIW, mine 'came with' iOS 12 so that may affect 'something' ...  As they say, "actual results may vary."   I haven't received my Zenmuse M1 yet so am using the original Osmo.  I noticed that the device mount/hold clamps compress the on/off button all the way.  This happens regardless of the left/right orientation of the iPod in the mount.  I wonder if this 'somehow' causes some sort of draw on the battery.  (rhetorical, yes, but I'll watch that too)

Yes since the last couple iOS updates, I really don’t trust the battery readout.  It’s showing projected with all apps running, not really how the battery is.  I find that if I don’t remember to shut of safari and a few other apps it will radically change my battery readout.   That being said the $20 external battery I put in my pocket and usb to ipod 6th gen keeps my iPod Touch going all day with DJI app running Osmo + with no issues.   Best $20 I spent in years.. that or hot shot my ipod in 5 minutes back to fully charged on the higher amp plug (1.0 and 2.0 amp charging usb plugs).
2018-10-29
Use props
Sharky1
lvl.2
United States

The external battery I purchased works great though wired from my pants pocket to iPod Touch on Osmo + handle.   Though I am ordering this.. far more portable than my larger brick and cable solution.  Portable Charger Mini Power Bank PowerCore 2800mAh Wireless External Backup Battery Pack High-Speed Ultra Thin Charging Compatible with iPhone 5(s)/6(s)/7(p)/8(p)/X -Dark Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072WR ... p_tai_JyS7BbC0MJJF3     
2018-11-16
Use props
rawkinrich
New

United Kingdom

All, is the Mobile 2 compatible with the iPod Touch 6th Gen?
2019-5-9
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

rawkinrich Posted at 5-9 06:18
All, is the Mobile 2 compatible with the iPod Touch 6th Gen?

When you accumulate a few more points you should post this as a new post of your own.    There's a good chance that your question will get missed as it is off topic from the title post.

I don't own a mobile 2 and cannot reply.  
2019-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules