sneers at the park
1236 11 2018-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Seymour Clouds
lvl.3
United States

I'm new to the drone world (30ish flights) and one thing I didn't anticipate are all the looks I get from people like I'm doing something wrong.  I fly in several different parks (not state parks) that have no rules against drones (according to signs and web sites).  I'm respectful.  I look for spots away from people and I never chase or follow joggers or dog walkers.  There seems to be a general "teacher looking over her glasses" attitude towards the hobby that I never knew existed.  I'm just curious if anyone else is getting these sneers or if I just look especially scandelous?  
2018-9-25
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Yes, you will get some of that and also the people who know all the rules of drone flying
2018-9-25
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

There are plenty of stories of less than friendly encounters on the forum. I've only had one, a person who mentioned drones being used for spying on people, I showed her what that spying would look like on my phone and I think she was satisfied. Most folks are curious and think it's pretty cool.
2018-9-25
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Being discreet is the keyword nowadays. I fly in the mornings and evenings where there will be fewer people in the park. Don't fly in one place too long and that will draw people attention.
2018-9-25
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Yeah, just talk to them. I had a old guy drive around while flying once. I told him it's a present (for myself) and he left satisfied. Some people have nothing better to do, they just want to talk to somebody.

You can tell them to fly a kite too but don't expect it to end well.
2018-9-25
Use props
Seymour Clouds
lvl.3
United States

Ok, thanks for the feedback.  Sounds like it's not just me.  
2018-9-25
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

I've had multiple people approach me asking about them and saying they've been thinking about getting one.    I've had no jerks approach me yet.    I'll even give jerks a chance to change their behavior by responding with a polite response, but they really don't want to push me after that because I push back.
2018-9-25
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Netherlands

Personally I have only met nice people, some asked how it worked, and liked it, some just looked interested and left. But I know I will meet people who will start to complain. If you are in a place where you can and may drone, and you stay nice, it should not be a problem. In the worst case, there still is the police (or a fist, but that is mostly not recommended)
2018-9-25
Use props
Seymour Clouds
lvl.3
United States

No one is getting aggressive (or even saying anything, really).   Just looking at me like I'm putting the empty carton of milk back into the fridge.  
2018-9-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. Hope you'll get the best recommendation in regards to this from our valued customers who had the same experience. Thank you for the support.
2018-9-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's public perception! Believe it or not I am yet to have one person say anything derogatory whilst flying my Inspire which is a massive drone. A bloke and his kids were walking past and the daughter said look at that drone Daddy. The Dad looked up and said - don't be daft, that's not a drone... I just carried on flying whilst laughing to myself. Yet I have had a few snide remarks like "they'll be banned soon" whilst flying smaller drones but never any real issues and 9 out of 10 times people are just intrigued and even complementary. I guess you'll get more negative remarks when children are around or larger groups of people so indeed, when and where to fly is key. Less people around the better and steer clear of NFZ's.  
2018-9-25
Use props
Johnny C!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44839 ft
United States

I had two commercial jobs in my home town. Before I flew
there I went to the town hall to ask if they had any drone
rules. She said they had none, and said I was GTG, so if
anyone asks in the future, I will direct them there.

When I scouted the two location days earlier, on a Sunday,
it became evident that I would shoot anything downtown
on Sunday's because no one is there. So I guess discretion
is the key sometimes.

I am also going to buy an orange workers safety vest with
sUAS pilot lettering on it.

I have a peel & stick decal on all 4 sides of my work van
to indicate I am FAA certified, also.

I'll add a more things to this as I think of them.

John
Edit to add: Drones are the future. Whether that be
arial platforms, self guided cars, lawnmowers, tall
building window washers, etc. Education is the key,
especially to the youngsters who will be emmersed
in it, in the near future.
2018-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules