Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin S and New Canon EOS R
12Next >
19913 62 2018-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Homesick Nomad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 629967 ft
United States

Are there any substantiated notifications regarding compatibility with Canon's new mirrorless camera? I would love to know if pulling focus and basically the same support as the GH5 is expected.
2018-9-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Homesick, the Ronin-S can be physically stabilized when being used with cameras that weigh less than 3.6 kg, with a width smaller than or equal to 205 mm, and a height less than or equal to 150 mm. However, some camera models may not be able to be controlled with the Ronin-S, we will transfer your need to our engineers for further test, the compatible list is being updated continuously.
2018-9-25
Use props
Michael Munich
lvl.1
Germany

I am also really looking forward to a compatibility with the EOS R! Would be a nice combination ... and i already ordered it ;-)
2018-9-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Michael Munich Posted at 2018-9-26 00:33
I am also really looking forward to a compatibility with the EOS R! Would be a nice combination ... and i already ordered it ;-)

Thanks for reaching DJI Forum, we will keep testing more camera models to make customers have a better experience with our product, appreciate your support to DJI.
2018-9-27
Use props
fans3d363332
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2031280 ft
United States

EOS R compatibility would be great for me too!
2018-10-12
Use props
Homesick Nomad
lvl.3
United States

Come on DJI. We need to see some news about another firmware update. It should not take this long to get up and running with a new camera. The EOS-R has been out long enough to make something happen. I am starting to feel like I may have made a mistake..I’ve been a loyal and faithful customer with DJI and I beginning to wonder why sometimes.
2018-10-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Homesick Nomad Posted at 2018-10-28 20:55
Come on DJI. We need to see some news about another firmware update. It should not take this long to get up and running with a new camera. The EOS-R has been out long enough to make something happen. I am starting to feel like I may have made a mistake..I’ve been a loyal and faithful customer with DJI and I beginning to wonder why sometimes.

Hi Homesick Nomad, we understand your concern and very sorry about that, we are not only just testing more cameras, but also fixing some issues and developing more features, please allow us some time, thanks for your patience and understanding.
2018-10-29
Use props
Homesick Nomad
lvl.3
United States

I do appreciate the fact that you are reading and replying to this. I have tried not to be negative as I wait for progress, especially on things that I do not know exactly what goes into creating. I think a frustration that many of us feel is that a company as large and technologically savvy as DJI should be knocking these problem out left and right. I own numerous DJI products and have remained pretty brand loyal because I know the build quality. I have created videos that your own tech support now sends people to for reference. That being said, I am not prone to just ranting. I hope to see an update soon. Wow us DJI... we want to see it!
2018-10-29
Use props
djimunichzefix
New

Germany

..and here is another request for EOS R support.
2018-10-29
Use props
djiuser_hBl9T3st5lZ5
lvl.1
Netherlands

I got the Ronin S and Eos R. I will test soon and update, did anybody already try it?
as they say that the 5dIV should focus with focus wheel, it maybe works.
2018-10-30
Use props
Homesick Nomad
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_hBl9T3st5lZ5 Posted at 2018-10-30 10:45
I got the Ronin S and Eos R. I will test soon and update, did anybody already try it?
as they say that the 5dIV should focus with focus wheel, it maybe works.

Yes. I tried it. no dice. I was nervous connecting them, but the camera just reads "BUSY" continuously and they don't connect.
2018-10-30
Use props
yutadastan
New

Malaysia

Hi there, i do agree with Nomad. We have been buying DJI products for so long and not to mention that most of us got the Ronin-s through Pre-Order which we thought it will works with our DSLR right from the box while checking through the product description. Then, when i get to know that the standard package accessories is not complete to support most of the camera models, i have to look everywhere like crazy because there are few job booking that require the ronin-s that also not confirm will works which is still cool for me but ..... but why DJI took so long to release a new firmware to improve the functionality? Just too long DJI. And now im getting the new EOS R soon and hearing that it doesnt work make me so sick.
2018-11-6
Use props
djiuser_AcUh38QZj5Gm
lvl.1

Hong Kong

I have a Canon Eos R and I was about to biy a Ronin-S until I saw this thread... is there any ETA for when it might be supported?
2018-11-8
Use props
fansf4f3f30c
lvl.1
Australia

+1 for wanting Eos R compatibility.   Just purchased the eos r today and tried with my ronin s and the MCC-B cord I use with my 5d4 doesn’t fit
2018-11-8
Use props
Vork22
New
Flight distance : 124488 ft
United States

+1 for EOS R support. Holding off on buying the Ronin S until I know it will work.
2018-11-11
Use props
djiuser_wjO6AdpVZtbX
New

United Kingdom

Yep I have an EOSR and was just about to buy the S for a trip to India next week, now I am not as it will be a waste of money, any chance of an update specifically to our questions?
2018-11-14
Use props
Marnie
lvl.1

France

+1 for Canon Eos R. I’m waiting to see it on the list...
2018-11-15
Use props
kriegs
lvl.1

United States

+1 for Canon EOS R support. Leaving for a trip on 11/25.
2018-11-15
Use props
Stebsy
lvl.1
Australia

djiuser_wjO6AdpVZtbX Posted at 11-14 04:14
Yep I have an EOSR and was just about to buy the S for a trip to India next week, now I am not as it will be a waste of money, any chance of an update specifically to our questions?

Even without the record button working it still works great with the Ronin S.  Just an inconvenience pressing record on the camera and then recomposing.  You can use the canon connect app on your phone instead to start and stop.  The real pain is when the back of the gimbal goes passed the viewfinder sensor and turns the screen off!  I haven’t worked out how to disable that yet
2018-11-17
Use props
Stebsy
lvl.1
Australia

djiuser_wjO6AdpVZtbX Posted at 11-14 04:14

Even without the record button working it still works great with the Ronin S.  Just an inconvenience pressing record on the camera and then recomposing.  You can use the canon connect app on your phone instead to start and stop.  The real pain is when the back of the gimbal goes passed the viewfinder sensor and turns the screen off!  I haven’t worked out how to disable that yet
2018-11-17
Use props
Homesick Nomad
lvl.3
United States

Stebsy Posted at 11-17 02:09
Even without the record button working it still works great with the Ronin S.  Just an inconvenience pressing record on the camera and then recomposing.  You can use the canon connect app on your phone instead to start and stop.  The real pain is when the back of the gimbal goes passed the viewfinder sensor and turns the screen off!  I haven’t worked out how to disable that yet

That’s an easy fix, Stebsy. There is a setting in camera that turns off that sensor..
2018-11-17
Use props
Paul Jakob
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1962 ft
United States

Any update when the EOS R will be added to the compatibility list?
2018-11-20
Use props
jonroemer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1477598 ft
  • >>>
United States

The newest FW for the Ronin-S looks to be compatible with the EOS R. It's not officially listed but it appears to work. I put a video on my IG with some info. Firmware V1.6.0.50 released 2018-11-19.
2018-11-21
Use props
fans00808e59
New

Canada

+1 I just bought EOS R and was gonna get Ronin-S but this thread has put my plan on hold.
2018-11-25
Use props
fans00808e59
New

Canada

Stebsy Posted at 11-17 02:09

Thank you for the tip!! Forgive me if this a stupid question: if I purchase the Ronin-S, is it possible to wait for the update and a compatibility without buying a new product?
2018-11-25
Use props
Homesick Nomad
lvl.3
United States

**UPDATE**

Okay folks... important progress. As mentioned by Joe Roemer earlier, there is some compatibility between the Ronin-S and the Canon EOS-R. BUT it is not perfect yet. I tested and here are my findings.

1) The focus pulling is REALLLLLLLY slow. Like nearly painfully slow. Any major focus adjustments have to be done with the camera itself or on the lens.
2) You have to put the camera in AF and disable the "Movie Servo AF" feature.... well, guess what? FOCUS PEAKING does not work in AF. So, that needs to be fixed somehow. Either the camera manufacturer (Canon) needs to allow focus peaking in AF or DJI needs to figure out how to control the camera in MF mode.

Those are my two observations for the evening.

Thats the bad... the good is that they seem to be working on it since now the camera and gimbal are talking. Another good is that the record button works. So there is that.
2018-11-25
Use props
Stebsy
lvl.1
Australia

Homesick Nomad Posted at 11-25 15:57
**UPDATE**

Okay folks... important progress. As mentioned by Joe Roemer earlier, there is some compatibility between the Ronin-S and the Canon EOS-R. BUT it is not perfect yet. I tested and here are my findings.

I can confirm also that the RECORD button now works with the Eos R.  But now doesn't work with my 5D4!!!??
Focus pulling doesn't work for me with Canon or Sigma Art lenses both were working well with my 5D4.

Does anyone know how to turn off the eye level sensor that turns the screen off on the EOSR when something passes close?  The gimbal itself turns the screen off.   
2018-11-25
Use props
Stebsy
lvl.1
Australia

fans00808e59 Posted at 11-25 13:36
Thank you for the tip!! Forgive me if this a stupid question: if I purchase the Ronin-S, is it possible to wait for the update and a compatibility without buying a new product?

you just update the firmware via your computer
2018-11-25
Use props
Stebsy
lvl.1
Australia

Homesick Nomad Posted at 11-17 19:14
That’s an easy fix, Stebsy. There is a setting in camera that turns off that sensor..

Cheers.  Found it!  Display setting to manual and set to screen and not viewfinder.
2018-11-25
Use props
madeit
lvl.1
Flight distance : 227838 ft
Belgium

Any update? Is the canon eos R already supported?
2018-12-13
Use props
Homesick Nomad
lvl.3
United States

madeit Posted at 12-13 08:16
Any update? Is the canon eos R already supported?

Not officially. Some features are starting to work. Start/stop works through the MCC and you can see the follow focus starting to show signs. It focuses reaaaaaaallly slow.

One big issue at the moment is that you have to put the camera in auto focus and that turns off focus peaking. No bueno.  
2018-12-13
Use props
Abhimanyu Sharma
New

India

Kindly launch a connector for lower end light canon cameras too. It'd be a great help.
2018-12-14
Use props
Konstantin.T
New
Flight distance : 1876601 ft
Ukraine

+1 for Canon EOS R support.
2018-12-20
Use props
mantepse
New

Greece

+1 for EOS R Support.
I bought the camera few weeks ago and I was about to buy the Ronin but after a fast research I have doubts on it...
2018-12-20
Use props
Homesick Nomad
lvl.3
United States

I really do believe that support will eventually get here. It’s just not here yet. Like I’ve mentioned before, it will probably take an update on Canon side as well as DJI side to get around the auto focus/ focus peaking issue though. I am hoping in the next update that the EOS-R will get some love and attention.
2018-12-21
Use props
Justin Konikow
New

Canada

Another request for EOS R support please!!!!!
2018-12-26
Use props
fansd73863c4
New
Italy

+1 for Canon Eos R support! Please can you work about it?
2019-1-25
Use props
Homesick Nomad
lvl.3
Thailand

Justin Konikow Posted at 2018-12-26 15:17
Another request for EOS R support please!!!!!

keep the requests coming. We can hope.
2019-1-25
Use props
WilsonFlyer
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

+1 to bump some more priority. Waiting patiently.
2019-1-29
Use props
Homesick Nomad
lvl.3
Thailand

pssst... DJI... are you really working on the Ronin S and EOS R compatibility? We wanna know...
2019-1-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules