Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Don't Fly in NY State Parks
18086 20 2015-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

I got cited for flying in Taughannock State Park this week. I was capturing video of the lower falls when the park police saw that I was endangering no one, because no one else was around, and causing no problems, and decided that they must intervene. Apparently you need a permit to launch from within the park and they aren't issuing permits for it. There are no signs letting you know this and it's not on any of the parks websites. The regulation is buried in their codes under aviation. There's no way for an ordinary person to know about this. But, as I was told be the officer who cited me, it's for all state parks. If you want to fly there, you must launch from outside the park where the regulations do not apply and then fly in.
2015-5-31
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

so if it's not published can they actually make you pay?
2015-5-31
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-6-1 08:17

Probably. It is technically in their regulations (http://nysparks.com/publications ... ulesRegulations.pdf) under section 372.7e which prohibits "aviation" without a permit. But, under the definition in that document "aviation" would include a kite or even a paper airplane. I seriously doubt they'd ticket someone for flying a kite or paper airplane in the park which would make enforcement of the code arbitrary. I guess I could go to court to fight it, but that would take too much time and money. I don't live in NY (thank god!) and it really wouldn't be worth it to travel there to fight what basically amounts to a traffic ticket.
2015-6-1
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Can't fly in Texas state parks as well.
2015-6-1
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-6-2 03:34
Can't fly in Texas state parks as well.

Do they have it posted on signs or on the websites, or is it like NY where you have no way of knowing about the secret regulations until you're cited?
2015-6-1
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

It's not on their website and I don't believe it is posted but I read about it along with other laws passed in Texas regarding drone use.
2015-6-1
Use props
teamnest1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank god I searched in the forum. I couldn't find any info and then I came across this. I was going to the SAME state park (Taughannock State Park) tomorrow for an Autocross event and was going to bring the inspire1. NOT ANYMORE lol.
2015-10-24
Use props
alex
lvl.1

United States

You cannot fly in Denver City Parks Either. It's not posted and there is no way to get a permit to do it. It's disgusting.
2015-11-10
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

im going camping at bear mountain next week how does one obtain this permit?
2017-2-21
Use props
Johnny2checks
New

United States

Googled NYS State park regulations and your thread came up. I was planning on flying this afternoon in Taughannock. Does anyone know if they've changed the law since this has been posted? Tompkins County is anal about "Dronefobia". You can't fly over private property less than 150 feet high, they're afraid you're going to take pictures of granny in her nightgown and post them on the web. So that means you can only launch from your own property?
2017-4-28
Use props
fans01d0490d
New
United States

FYI above isn't the law in Tompkins county -- was debated but withdrawn in late 2015.. still most, if not all, of Ithaca is within 5 miles of an airport  
2017-6-10
Use props
MavCT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 228530 ft
United States

I'm going to be in that area this weekend. Any updates on the laws around there or recommendations on where to launch? Thanks
2017-8-4
Use props
fans08362c6e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43068 ft
United States

HermosaDrones Posted at 2015-5-31 16:17

Ignorance of the law is no defense,   In other words, it doesn't matter how archaic the law, as long as it's on the books they can cite you for it and there are no notice requirements, I.e. Signs.  For anyone asking if this has been updated, don't expect them to take this law out of the regulations anytime soon, unless there is some kind of litigation about it or something.  But if you apply for a permit and get arbitrarily denied over and over, there could be a good challenge.  My next question is what about state parks versus town and municipal parks, technically, each town would have to have a similar regulation...
2017-9-25
Use props
Kyle Stones
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36 ft
United States

fans01d0490d Posted at 2017-6-10 07:13
FYI above isn't the law in Tompkins county -- was debated but withdrawn in late 2015.. still most, if not all, of Ithaca is within 5 miles of an airport

you should still be able to fly in Ithaca as long as you alert the airport you'll be flying within 5 miles no?
2018-2-1
Use props
Provost Drone Solutions
lvl.2
Flight distance : 937267 ft
United States

wrong.  you cannot take off and fly in!
2018-4-16
Use props
bobby14304
lvl.1
United States

“Aviation. The voluntary introduction, launch, takeoff or landing or any aircraft, parachute, hang glider, ultra-light, balloon or other weight- carrying machine or device designed for  ight in or navigation of the air other than in an emergency”.
2018-5-23
Use props
bobby14304
lvl.1
United States

I found this NYS park Department document that provides guidance to there cryptic permit law.    From my perspective, a permit is only necessary if you are taking off or landing in the park.  You should be a to fly in without an issue.   But again here you are still limited to FAA regulations.  

"A UAS that is launched from outside of OPRHP property but flown over OPRHP-controlled property is regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (“FAA”) and adjacent landowners."

https://parks.ny.gov/inside-our- ... anesQuadCopters.pdf
2018-5-25
Use props
bobby14304
lvl.1
United States

Provost Drone Solutions Posted at 2018-4-16 07:48
wrong.  you cannot take off and fly in!

It looks like you may be able to fly in.  See my link below.
2018-5-25
Use props
callaway2288
lvl.2
United States

Recently was in Montauk and wanted to fly. I called the permit location and was told you need to give 10-14 days notice before applying, need drone insurance, and so forth.

Can anybody confirm on launching outside the state park and flying in? I wonder if you launched inside the park during the winter when nobody is there. The airport is within 5 miles, but I don’t think it’s staffed.

It’s so ridiculous they make you get permits. I could understand April-Sept, but nobody is around in the late fall / winter.  
2018-11-1
Use props
alyon011
lvl.1
United States

I got a ticket for flying in Nissequogue State Park this past weekend. Before pleading guilty / not guilty, what kind of punishment can I expect from New York State? I've been looking at various posts and such and apparently it can be as strict as a $5,000 fine and/or 15 days in jail. This is insane for taking off in a wide open park, but I'm stressing out big time over this. If anyone's been in this situation what was your outcome?
2019-4-2
Use props
djiuser_ncJhMemYv0hi
lvl.2

United States

I took my mavic pro 2 to Taughannock this past March, very early and no one there, got some good video. Did not know you could not fly in state parks, wow, not fair. I never fly over anyone and I am very careful. I think if there was a crowd at the time I went there I would not taken off.
2019-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules