725 10 2018-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChiefDave008
lvl.1
Flight distance : 785525 ft
United States

Hello fellow pilots,
On the second day of ownership of my new Mavic 2 Pro, I was shooting all kinds of stills and videos.  The camera is amazing!  However, I was truly surprised when my MOV videos shot in 10 bit color depth, flying unassisted, were very different visually from video (no camera setting changes) shot using Intelligent Flight Modes(IFM) which were recorded in 8 bit color depth.  I am suspicious that, considering this is the first 10bit capable camera, that there may have been an oversight and all of the IFM's are hardcoded to 8 bit.  This can be a real disappointment that I unable to shoot 10 bit color depth while using IFM.
Using the $0.99 MediaInfo application from the Apple App store for my iMac.  I've attached to jpeg's of the metadata.  I need some pilots to corroborate my discovery and then post here to pass on to DJI.
I hope that this is either a code patch/update or fear that it may require a software version update/rewrite.
Please post what you find.
Safe flying!
Cheers!
Dave

8 bit metadata

8 bit metadata

10 bit metadata

10 bit metadata

2018-9-26
Use props
parkgt214
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

What problem are you  seeing other than the 10 bit being flat and needing color work in post?
2018-9-26
Use props
ChiefDave008
lvl.1
United States

Hey everyone, here is some more information after some specific flights.  It APPEARS that the "bug" effects only the QuickShot feature set.  It defaults to H264 (8bit) and you cannot change it, even if you have properly set the camera prior to choosing the QuickShot functions.  This is what I did:I'm not much of a geek, so anything any of you can add would help this quest.
2018-9-26
Use props
ChiefDave008
lvl.1
United States

More information

Hey everyone, here is some more information after some specific flights.  It APPEARS that the "bug" effects only the QuickShot feature set.  It defaults to H264 (8bit) and you cannot change it, even if you have properly set the camera prior to choosing the QuickShot functions.  This is what I did:  1) confirmed settings at d-log and H265 prior to takeoff.  2: launched and positioned aircraft to perform QuickShot/Circle.  3) Opened camera settings and found that the Camera Video Coding was in H264, it is greyed out and cannot be changed to H265.  So, it appears that not ALL of the IFM are affected, just the QuickShot functions.  I'm not much of a geek and I could be "gagging on a gnat", so anything any of you can add would help this quest for understanding. Safe flying! Cheers! Dave
2018-9-26
Use props
ChiefDave008
lvl.1
United States

parkgt214 Posted at 2018-9-26 05:59
What problem are you  seeing other than the 10 bit being flat and needing color work in post?

No real problems with 10 bit..it is FANTASTIC in post production when NOT shot in the QuickShot modes.  The depth of color is amazing and the editing is incredibly rich.  It is a problem with the video codec settings appear to be hard coded into the QuickShot modes for 264/8bit.  Did I answer your post correctly?  Thank you for your reply and help with understanding my new aircraft capabilities.....
2018-9-26
Use props
parkgt214
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

I believe that most if not all the Quick Shots process the film in camera to give you a "Quick" finished film, ready to view or share.  There is no way 10 bit could be handled on the craft or at the controller to do that; in fact some find it hard enough to process H.265 on relatively robust desktops.

So, I am not sure that this is a bug.
2018-9-26
Use props
ChiefDave008
lvl.1
United States

parkgt214 Posted at 2018-9-26 09:05
I believe that most if not all the Quick Shots process the film in camera to give you a "Quick" finished film, ready to view or share.  There is no way 10 bit could be handled on the craft or at the controller to do that; in fact some find it hard enough to process H.265 on relatively robust desktops.

So, I am not sure that this is a bug.

Hmmm, that is a good view point.  It doesn't make sense to me that I have spent $2K for a system with a high end camera onboard capable of 10bit color depth and it can't be used on the QuickShots.  May not be a bug, but shouldn't be limited to 8 bit color depth...IMHO.  Oh, if you are in a QuickShot, before you press "GO", check the camera settings.  The codec selection is there, it is just blanked out.  This tells me that this has been disabled internally (software) and could be activated, I'm thinking?  Oh well, thank you for your insight, it was helpful!
2018-9-26
Use props
Streetmagus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1398376 ft

I believe it isn’t a bug. Like on Mavic Pro, asteroid mode can’t be saved as 4K video, I believe it’s similar here where 10bit formats aren’t available on some modes, due to those modes videos being processed on the aircraft.
2018-9-26
Use props
ChiefDave008
lvl.1
United States

Streetmagus Posted at 2018-9-26 09:52
I believe it isn’t a bug. Like on Mavic Pro, asteroid mode can’t be saved as 4K video, I believe it’s similar here where 10bit formats aren’t available on some modes, due to those modes videos being processed on the aircraft.

Thank you for being helpful.  It is making a bit more sense to me.   Would be nice to have a comment from DJI.  But as usual, the Pilots have the best info.......
2018-9-26
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

Dji has commented on this previously (but I'm not spending the time to look them up). Intelligent flight modes shoot in 8-bit h.264 by design because they are using the processor for tons of calculations while in this mode and also because these are "Quick" shots which aren't meant for professional use, but more for fun so they don't require editing and can be played straight from the drone.
2018-9-27
Use props
ChiefDave008
lvl.1
United States

Zatx Posted at 2018-9-27 04:05
Dji has commented on this previously (but I'm not spending the time to look them up). Intelligent flight modes shoot in 8-bit h.264 by design because they are using the processor for tons of calculations while in this mode and also because these are "Quick" shots which aren't meant for professional use, but more for fun so they don't require editing and can be played straight from the drone.

Thank you for your comment, it is helpful.....
2018-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules