6979 26 2018-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb55e3c03
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3151388 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I sold my Platinum and accessories today, along with my Goggles. I am ready to buy the M2P and the goggles RE, but I’ve seen a fair amount of videos showing that the range is super limited with both goggles and both Mavic 2 models.
Seeing only 1000 foot range and the goggles go blank. This is making me hesitant to order.  
Is this a firmware issue? Is DJI working on it? Does anyone have good range with the goggles and the Mavic 2?
2018-9-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven't tried the DJI Goggles but intuitively one would think that the Goggles should yield similar range as the connected smart device?
2018-9-26
Use props
fansb55e3c03
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Actually the dji goggles get the signal from the aircraft and not the remote controller or phone.
2018-9-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. For Goggles RE, the max distance between the aircraft and the goggles is 7km is it's under 2.4GHz (FCC) and 4km if it's under 5.8 GHz (FCC).
2018-9-27
Use props
fansb55e3c03
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-27 08:27
Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. For Goggles RE, the max distance between the aircraft and the goggles is 7km is it's under 2.4GHz (FCC) and 4km if it's under 5.8 GHz (FCC).

Why are the RE goggles better? They have both frequencies, but 5.8 is not very good anyways.
2018-9-27
Use props
byhead
lvl.3
United States

Would DJI rep be so kind as to explain how to link Goggles RE to the aircraft
via 2.4 ghz?  Mine connects 5 ghz automatically and the range to no video
for me is 500 feet...
I'd like to give the lower freq a shot!
TY. Byron
2018-9-30
Use props
byhead
lvl.3
United States

Thanks WS, until we get range up on 5 gigs, i was hoping to find a way to try 2.4 ghtz  AC > GOGG.
But hey, I can still use the G RE to fly my Yuneec Typhoon H, and to watch videos on my HDMI out PC.
Luckily FPV is available  with in the last week, for litchi 2.6. (M2P) I bought the Breeze, with controller
and goggles to hold the Phone. AND litchi allows SPLIT SCREEN per eyeball.  Iphone 8 rocks.
Come on DJI, don't let Yuneec get ahead.....
2018-9-30
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>

Change from 5.8 to 2.4 in the app on your phone or tab. Neither work very well at the moment.
2018-10-1
Use props
Andrew EF
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks! I’ll do that for now. Hopefully a firmware update coming soon?
2018-10-1
Use props
Andrew EF
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

WingSpeed Posted at 2018-9-30 13:06
The range is a known bug that is being worked on. Ignore the support staff here who have absolutely ZERO knowledge of what bugs are being worked on, etc. they simply parrot what is on the DJI website and are essentially useless bots.

Thanks wingspeed. How did you find out the range with the goggles is being worked on?
2018-10-1
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>

You can get better range if you install a 5.8 antenna on the Goggles RE. Still isn't right though.
2018-10-1
Use props
Dr0ne_n00b
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8060348 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I tested the Goggles OG (Original) with Mavic pro and range was as expected, but on Mavic 2 experiencing issues as described here. When I disconnected the goggles, range improved somewhat but then I noticed a strange issue, the range was shorter than usual, issue started when pairing the drone to goggles. I notice the drone is stuck on 2.4G only and 5G would not work. Only way to restore 5G was to rebind RC to AC.
2018-10-19
Use props
fans49b741e6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1324019 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone have a solution to the poor range with the Mavic 2 and RE Goggles yet?
2019-1-30
Use props
fans49b741e6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1324019 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI support told me this, but I have not had a chance to verify:

"It is recommended that users attach the antenna to the DJI Goggles RE 2 to avoid signal interference to the image transmission and gain a better flying experience. If users do not attach the antenna, it is recommended that users choose the 2.4 GHz frequency for a better experience."
2019-1-30
Use props
Andrew EF
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

fans49b741e6 Posted at 1-30 11:21
Anyone have a solution to the poor range with the Mavic 2 and RE Goggles yet?

I did a goggles flight the other day with my iPad in Airplane Mode and the antenna attached on the goggles RE. I don’t know if that’s what helped but I got out over a km and never lost connection with the goggles. That’s much better than before for me. When the weather gets nicer I’m going to try a lot more tests. I think you can get the full range with the goggles if you turn your mobile device off altogether. I’ve seen people do this with the goggles RE and Mavic 2 and get over 5 km. I don’t think I would’ve gotten that with my iPad set to airplane mode. It was starting to glitch a little at over a km.
I believe the range issue is caused by the big demand for bandwidth since the Mavic 2 puts out such a detailed video to your mobile device and also to the goggles. That would explain why shutting off your tablet would vastly improve the range.
2019-1-30
Use props
fans1a94227b
New
Flight distance : 1261427 ft
Sweden

So 2.4gHz is better for range, 5.8 is better for bandwidth but shorter range.

What does this mean for the white goggles - is the max range the same if you fly a M2P with white goggles or RE goggles? Or am I missing something in the RE specs that would make them allow for better range than the white ones?

In the market for goggles, but I ain't buying the RE if I can get the same distance off the white ones.
2019-1-31
Use props
Vlaak
United States

I have a very similar problem. I have the Racing Edition goggles. With my Mavic 2 Pro, if I have both the goggles and the iphone connected at the same time (holding the controller with iphone attached while I'm, or someone else, is wearing the goggles), I can't get out past about 700 meters. Its REALLY annoying because its not just a matter of the video cutting out. The entire controller loses signal. It's very scary. The goggles lose video and the iphone loses video signal AND the controller loses connection. Every time.
I did extensive testing this weekend. If I shut off the goggles, and run just the M2P and the iphone connected to the controller I can go out well past 2km without so much as a stutter in the video, but as soon as I connect the goggles I start getting disconnects like crazy in the controller. This makes no sense to me since afaik both the controller and the goggles independently communicate with the M2P, so how could one mess up the other? I bought the goggles as a countermeasure to the sun but I strongly regret that now
2019-2-1
Use props
Andrew EF
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Vlaak Posted at 2-1 00:05
I have a very similar problem. I have the Racing Edition goggles. With my Mavic 2 Pro, if I have both the goggles and the iphone connected at the same time (holding the controller with iphone attached while I'm, or someone else, is wearing the goggles), I can't get out past about 700 meters. Its REALLY annoying because its not just a matter of the video cutting out. The entire controller loses signal. It's very scary. The goggles lose video and the iphone loses video signal AND the controller loses connection. Every time.
I did extensive testing this weekend. If I shut off the goggles, and run just the M2P and the iphone connected to the controller I can go out well past 2km without so much as a stutter in the video, but as soon as I connect the goggles I start getting disconnects like crazy in the controller. This makes no sense to me since afaik both the controller and the goggles independently communicate with the M2P, so how could one mess up the other? I bought the goggles as a countermeasure to the sun but I strongly regret that now

I put my iPad on airplane mode and flew out past a km the other day without the disconnect issue.  Try that first. If that doesn’t work, try flying with only the goggles as your fpv and not tablet or phone connected to your controller
2019-2-1
Use props
ScottZion
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1834006 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have exactly the same problem with the Mavic 2 Pro. Goggles go out in hardly any distance away and interferes with phone. I will try to connect antenna and 2.4 freq. I have a P4Pro and connect to controller without any problem. Is it possible to set the M2 Pro to fly through the connection to the controller only as well? From what I found so far seems there isn't. Is there any advantage to connecting directly to the drone instead of through the controller other than eliminating the wire?
2019-3-2
Use props
Andrew EF
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

ScottZion Posted at 3-2 00:38
I have exactly the same problem with the Mavic 2 Pro. Goggles go out in hardly any distance away and interferes with phone. I will try to connect antenna and 2.4 freq. I have a P4Pro and connect to controller without any problem. Is it possible to set the M2 Pro to fly through the connection to the controller only as well? From what I found so far seems there isn't. Is there any advantage to connecting directly to the drone instead of through the controller other than eliminating the wire?

I’m not sure if you can plug the goggles in to the M2P. I don’t really want to. I hated using the wire when I had a phantom. The picture is much clearer with the goggles using the Mavic 2 and no cumbersome wire.
By setting my iPad on airplane mode and using the goggles’ antenna that seems to have fixed the problem anyways. And as a last resort you could always use the goggles and remote controller only with no mobile device at all. I haven’t had to do this but I’ve seen others do it and have no issues flying their M2P out many miles with the goggles and no disconnect issues.
2019-3-2
Use props
Mike1983
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ScottZion Posted at 3-2 00:38
I have exactly the same problem with the Mavic 2 Pro. Goggles go out in hardly any distance away and interferes with phone. I will try to connect antenna and 2.4 freq. I have a P4Pro and connect to controller without any problem. Is it possible to set the M2 Pro to fly through the connection to the controller only as well? From what I found so far seems there isn't. Is there any advantage to connecting directly to the drone instead of through the controller other than eliminating the wire?

Hi all

Just a post to confirm I have the exact same issues using a Mavic 2 Zoom, Goggles RE and Smart Controller.

With goggles connected, range is an issue, choppy video / disconnects.  Switch the goggles off then everything reconnects and is fine.

If this isn’t sorted soon I’ll be pursuing a refund within the warranty period as this isn’t fit for purpose.
2019-3-2
Use props
Thenj0esaid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 229301 ft
United States

I am still having this problem with my white goggles. I'm just posting to see if anyone has a resolution to this issue or should i return my goggles to the store.
2019-5-22
Use props
Bogdanel
lvl.1
Romania

I have the white goggles and by mistake, just before ordering the M2P, I found out about this issue. For now it's not clear for me if this happens only with RE goggles or with both versions. Can someone advise...
2019-5-31
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI admits goggle issues.
2019-5-31
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Vlaak Posted at 2-1 00:05
I did extensive testing this weekend. If I shut off the goggles, and run just the M2P and the iphone connected to the controller I can go out well past 2km without so much as a stutter in the video, but as soon as I connect the goggles I start getting disconnects like crazy in the controller. This makes no sense to me since afaik both the controller and the goggles independently communicate with the M2P, so how could one mess up the other? I bought the goggles as a countermeasure to the sun but I strongly regret that now

"Its REALLY annoying because its not just a matter of the video cutting out. The entire controller loses signal. It's very scary. The goggles lose video and the iphone loses video signal AND the controller loses connection. Every time."

I'm not ever getting this.
2019-6-2
Use props
natecastner
lvl.1

United States

Is there any plan for resolving the issue of limited range with Goggles and Mavic 2 Pro? I just got the Goggles, experiencing this issue and it’s like a year since the last post in this thread talking about the issue... what’s up DJI?
2020-9-9
Use props
Andrew EF
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

natecastner Posted at 9-9 15:28
Is there any plan for resolving the issue of limited range with Goggles and Mavic 2 Pro? I just got the Goggles, experiencing this issue and it’s like a year since the last post in this thread talking about the issue... what’s up DJI?

This has been completely fixed with mine.  Make sure you connect your Mavic 2 to your computer and run the DJI Assistant 2 software to update it fully. Then plug your DJI Goggles into the computer and use Assistant 2 to update them fully. I have the goggles RE and they work perfectly. Several kilometres away. I actually had company today and flew the M2P and my brother and his daughter took turns wearing the goggles. I don’t bother putting my iPad in airplane mode anymore. That’s not necessary.  It doesn’t affect Ocusync 2. I always use the goggles antenna though. That seems to help some. Even though some people say it’s not necessary. Hope this helps!
2020-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules