Mavic 2 Zoom + Goggles Only 2.4?
1477 7 2018-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SparkCoffey
lvl.2
  • >>>

I want to start by saying I love my Mavic Pro and DJI Goggle (The white ones) combination. It has severed me almost flawlessly for over a year.

I bought the Mavic 2 Zoom (M2Z) because of three features. The camera, the longer distance for flights, and it was compatiable with the DJI Goggles (I did not have to pay for new goggles). When I bind the DJI Goggles to M2Z it tells me, "After linking completed, aircraft only supports the 2.4 band".

DJI, please, what does this mean? Does it mean that if I bind my Goggles to the M2Z that the M2Z will forever use the 2.4 band? What if I am not using the goggles, but just my phone or iPad? Am I still not switching bands?

I can only hope that this posting (And DJI's Response) helps another make a better informed decision before buying the M2V. I was prepared to pay the price of the aircraft for its new features, but I can't afford the essential accessory. Very frustrating.

2018-9-26
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unless you're going to use the goggles on another aircraft as an FPV or something that uses 5.8 then don't worry about it. The white ones only operate on 2.4...the RE's have both
2018-9-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. You may refer to the post #2 and #3 answer. Once you will no longer use the DJI Goggles, that's the only time you can use 5.8 GHz.

2018-9-27
Use props
SparkCoffey
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the replies. I feel that the Goggles were deceptively misrepresented by DJI. DJI said the Goggles were compatible with the M2Z without saying that it would have limited range.

I was surprised to see that when using the goggles with the M2Z that the range is far shorter than my Mavic Pro in identical flying situations. Is this the expected behavior? if I purchase the RE version of the goggles, will my range increase?
2018-9-27
Use props
SparkCoffey
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2018-9-26 22:27
Unless you're going to use the goggles on another aircraft as an FPV or something that uses 5.8 then don't worry about it.

I am not sure what you mean. I bought the M2Z for the extra range, but range is shorter than the range with my goggles and mavic pro. I assumed that was because of the lack of 5.8. Am I wrong?
2018-9-27
Use props
SparkCoffey
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-26 22:18
The white goggles only support 2.4 ghz so when using them with your Mavic 2 it will only operate on the 2.4 ghz band.  When flying it without the goggles your M2 will be able to use both the 2.4 & 5.8 bands.

That's a relief. When using the 2.4, does it limit the distance possible?
2018-9-27
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

SparkCoffey Posted at 2018-9-27 07:30
I am not sure what you mean. I bought the M2Z for the extra range, but range is shorter than the range with my goggles and mavic pro. I assumed that was because of the lack of 5.8. Am I wrong?

2.4 will give you significantly more range than 5.8..I have taken my Zoom out more than 2 miles...it does get a little choppy sometimes in the goggles bit I've also noticed that location has EVERYTHING to do with range, That said, my MavicPro does have a longer range with the goggles...why? I dont know. But when I first got the Zoom I couldn't get over 3,000 feet without the feed being extremely choppy. I believe there was an update and it increased my range. Another thing I've noticed is I may get choppy feed in my goggles but the feed on my iPad is only slightly choppy. Give DJI some time, theres a lot of threads on this and I'm sure they will have an update soon. Here's a link where I took it out about 8,000 feet with the goggles and no issue.
2018-9-27
Use props
SparkCoffey
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2018-9-27 07:59
2.4 will give you significantly more range than 5.8..I have taken my Zoom out more than 2 miles...it does get a little choppy sometimes in the goggles bit I've also noticed that location has EVERYTHING to do with range, That said, my MavicPro does have a longer range with the goggles...why? I dont know. But when I first got the Zoom I couldn't get over 3,000 feet without the feed being extremely choppy. I believe there was an update and it increased my range. Another thing I've noticed is I may get choppy feed in my goggles but the feed on my iPad is only slightly choppy. Give DJI some time, theres a lot of threads on this and I'm sure they will have an update soon. Here's a link where I took it out about 8,000 feet with the goggles and no issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YiYKqPGmBg

I appreciate the response. I will try to be patient.

I hope you are right about DJI fixing this issue. The main reason (beside the camera) I bought the unit was for greater range, and I am sure I am not the only one.
2018-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules