Phantom 3 Lag / Pause Android in FPV
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevin Stewart
lvl.2
Flight distance : 649426 ft
India

ben_m16 Posted at 2015-6-16 22:12
Kevin, can you put a photo here?? both RC.....

Yes I have a fun, i can hear it rotating........

I have the photo, but this DJI forum doesn't allow me to upload the picture easily from my android device.
2015-6-16
Use props
Kevin Stewart
lvl.2
India

2015-6-16
Use props
m.vos2
lvl.1

Ireland

pretty sure my controller does not have a fan would have heard it by now but wil check when I get home
2015-6-16
Use props
Kevin Stewart
lvl.2
India

P3 controller

P3 controller
Screenshot_2015-06-16-19-15-27.png
2015-6-16
Use props
m.vos2
lvl.1

Ireland

the question now is does it belong there or not  
cant say my controller get hot in any way
fan also does not make sense since no outside air can get in there
2015-6-16
Use props
Kevin Stewart
lvl.2
India

m.vos2@quicknet Posted at 2015-6-16 22:34
the question now is does it belong there or not  
cant say my controller get hot in any way
fan al ...

http://forum.dji.com/thread-11368-1-1.html ,seems like inspire 1 rc has it too,but need to find out if this is true or a hoax!
2015-6-16
Use props
m.vos2
lvl.1

Ireland

Kevin Stewart Posted at 2015-6-16 22:39
http://forum.dji.com/thread-11368-1-1.html ,seems like inspire 1 rc has it too,but need to find ou ...

ohh wel the fan is probably not related to the lag issue but its curious
not opening mine any time soon lol  
2015-6-16
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

I have something very interesting folks.

I made several test today with Android app... and as I wrote yesterday an Google Play Services consumes about 30% of my CPU power (my device is much faster than Nexus II or Note 3).
There are test results with 10Mbit stream and 16 satellites fix, Lenovo Tab S8-50 LTE, firmware 1.2.6, Android 4.4.2:
1 - LATEST Google Play Services - CPU on 85-90% load, lag and stuttering
2 - DISABLED Google Play Services - CPU on 55% load, no video lag and stuttering
3 - DOWNGRADED Google Play Services to version 5.0.89 (1307510-070) - stock on my tablet - 55% load... no video lag or stuttering

And about map behaviour in DJI app for upper cases:
1 - map works
2 - maps do not work. You need to enable Google Play Services, cache map, Disable Google Play services. If you close an app or back to homescreen in DJI app, Your map will disappear. To bring it back you need to go to homescreen DJI app, enable google play services, get to photo mode and cache the map, and then disable Google Play Service again.
3 -  Maps just works

If I hide GPS by hand with latest Google Play Services of course CPU usage drop to 55% load, level of disabled or downgraded Google Play Services.
I readed a changelog of latest Google Play services app, and there was some change or new API.

So the best way is just downgrade the Google Play Services until DJI make fix.
2015-6-16
Use props
TiagoMatias
lvl.2

Portugal

Kyokushin how do you downgrade Google Play Services? In app info? Its greyscaled on mine..
2015-6-16
Use props
ben_m16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5459859 ft
  • >>>
Spain

google play services auto updates itself........
2015-6-16
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

TiagoMatias Posted at 2015-6-16 23:12
Kyokushin how do you downgrade Google Play Services? In app info? Its greyscaled on mine..

I clicked 'uninstall' in app manager. And it removed latest version and install stock.
2015-6-16
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

TiagoMatias Posted at 2015-6-16 23:12

Mightbe due to user permission ... I'm using rooted device and can swipe all out.
(nexus 7, 2013)
proper process:
1. find process/application (you might have multiple servicesattached)
2. uninstall updates / force stop
3. disable (if not removed)
now app will be in disabled section, I'm always checking afterturning on if all are previously disabled are really disabled.
some services might come back - location service, you mightleave this one up and running.
I'm referring to rooted android 4.4 on nexus device (cleanimage).

2015-6-16
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

ben_m16 Posted at 2015-6-16 23:15
google play services auto updates itself........

Then turn off auto update. I turned off auto updates, removed bloatware, but a MAIN app overloading CPU is Google Play Services.

... (and facebook - removed at first).
2015-6-16
Use props
bbmak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 125476 ft
Germany

@DJI these are my 2 Cents greetings from Germany

i have 3 Android devices

Note 3 - Official Supportet by DJI
Note 4 - not Supported
Galaxy Tab S 8.4 - not Supported

and gues what ? No one of this is working still i have lags and the service com.google.process.gapps is shutdown ! And the second think why youre not able to keep the app inside Google Playstore updated. This realy all fucked me up.
2015-6-16
Use props
Tyge
New
Norway

I WILL RETURN MY P3A TO THE DEALER. I BOUGHT IT UNDER 1 WEEK AGO, AND I SADLY DIDN'T READ THIS THREAD BEFORE I ORDERED. AND NOW I AM JUST TIERED IN MY HEAD READING THIS THREAD. MY SAMSUNG TAB S 10,5 SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH LAG. MY S-900 WITH A2 AND LIGHTBRIDGE HAS NO ISUES. CRYSTAL CLEAR FPV!!!

ONE POSITIVE THING ABOUT THE P3A: IT FLIES WELL!
2015-6-16
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

I though about this problem and i can see in this topic:
1. People who have lags and stuttering caused by CPU overload (like me) This is very little stuttering. And i can fly 20 minutes and it is stable.
2. People who have heavy lags caused by overheating. They have them a few minutes after flying. It can be caused by software and a hardware
Maybe there are a two revision of P3 and some people have overheating and some other not. (and this repplies from DJI support "send us your drone, technician will take a look".. maybe they know something...)

In a 1st case an temporary workaround could be stripping tablet, removing bloatware, and solving with that crap called google play store. On iMac, would help enabling hardware decoding, and also removing CPU consuming apps.
In a 2nd case, there is no solution. Above recommendations might help or not, because there may (only speculations) different hardware revision.
2015-6-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

lnwpower Posted at 2015-6-16 12:51
Tahoe_Ed please tell us !!!

I don't know, I wish I did.  As you can see from my posts and those of DJI Global we are working on it.
2015-6-16
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-16 23:37
I don't know, I wish I did.  As you can see from my posts and those of DJI Global we are working o ...

Tahoe_ED, please send to Devel team my test results (http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 51231&fromuid=51556). Maybe it help them in something.
2015-6-16
Use props
ben_m16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5459859 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Tahoe, send to global DJI all youtube videos related with satelites and lag.......... no satelites no lag, a lot of satelites a lot of lags.
2015-6-16
Use props
bbmak
lvl.1
Germany

@Tahoe

tell DJI they should at least give all the early Buyers of the Phantom 3 one free Lipo and 50Dollar in there DJI Pocket !

thats the Minimum they can do !
2015-6-16
Use props
venturedrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 326693 ft
United States

leon Posted at 2015-6-16 12:52
Yep, you'll be lag free...Untill the next FW upgrade! LoL!

Tell me about it! I'm not going to update from 1.1.9 until I am reassured  that it runs smoothly on at least one of my supported devices!  I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but the Apple App is much nicer.
2015-6-16
Use props
m.vos2
lvl.1

Netherlands

lol wierd just flown for 5 min in the garden with the video channel set to custom  both on 4 6 and even 10 mbit and no lag .
this is getting wierd

just flown for a other 13 min

custom channel does work beter then automatic atleast this time
2015-6-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

bbmak Posted at 2015-6-16 23:58
@Tahoe

tell DJI they should at least give all the early Buyers of the Phantom 3 one free Lipo and 5 ...

Actually, I'm looking for a Mercedes and a massage.

That's the least they can do.......since I am using a $30 non-supported device and can make it work by turning other stuff off.
2015-6-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-6-16 23:36
I though about this problem and i can see in this topic:
1. People who have lags and stuttering caus ...

I discount the theory that one bird is much different than another. Sure, there are probably slight variations, but so far all evidence points to the same problem - and only one general problem - talked about since the beginning.

That is the combo of Android (too many flavors, versions, devices, bloatware, etc.)....and the heavy load the Pilot App puts onto any device.

The heavy load can't be helped.....much. Sure, they will be able to tune it up and take 5% or 10% off the load requirements, but there is nothing they could do which would satisfy some of the complaints which seem to want a loaded-up device to be able to also run the DJI Pilot App.

Maybe they should offer a special stripped Android Device for $100 or something for those folks who want a true "factory ready" setup??

They could probably make it work decently by not allowing all the boatware, etc.

Some of the answer also lies in DJI being very clear in their manuals and marketing about user expectations. It's crazy for people to think a $79 tablet is going to provide the equiv. of a $400 IOS device. There is a reason the Apple stuff costs more. So DJI could warn people about lower frame rates and/or lag and that if they want smoother FPV they need to either step up to IOS or learn how to strip their Android devices.

Sure, the reps say that here and elsewhere - but it's not in the docs that I've seen.

Many folks, like myself, understand the compromise and are fine with $30-$100 devices - used mostly just to frame a picture or general video. Others want the ability to really monitor almost every frame.

Different needs = different devices and customers and prices.

My guess is that DJI will not come up with a magic pill here. They will just shave some here and there and perhaps provide a "light load" mode with 12 fps and lower res, etc.

Customers and pilots will still have to make decisions and work with their devices to get the most from them.
2015-6-16
Use props
MikeAngelo
lvl.2

United States

I actually did have a crash due to the freeze frames.    I was using an Android Turbo.   All up to date.   All batteries fully charged.    At first, I was telling myself that I was unprepared and did a spontaneous flight.   But now, I feel that it may have been the app and FPV issue.   
2015-6-16
Use props
bbmak
lvl.1
Germany

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-17 02:37
Actually, I'm looking for a Mercedes and a massage.

witch 30 Dollar device ?
2015-6-16
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-17 02:47
I discount the theory that one bird is much different than another. Sure, there are probably sligh ...

This is not theory. This is the fact. Measured and expressed by digits.Test is showing what is at the end, and what is causing changes. But do not explain why.Problem is complex and this is one of measured behavior, and as i wrote, i think there are also other causes of video lag.

Why it working fine with old version of Google Services and not working with new? Because this is a software issue.
If hardware 'can' on older version, it also 'should' on newer.

They could what they want to resolve problem. Parrot app have FPV, GPS map and it is working on potato. If Parrot can, DJI can too.
Operations like FPV stream, decoding, map moving, counting GPS position are not requiring to tablet. Decoding can be done by hardware decoder (and should be, even potato have hardware decoding), counting GPS position you can do with a pencil and note, map moving - you know - on Tablets like Nexus II 2013 are running games such as Real Racing 3... so it have enough power to run such simple app like DJI Pilot.

Everybody understand what is compromise, but efficienty of hardware can be easily measured. Problems are on the high-end devices, so not only a low-end tablets people complatying.People who complaying are guys with supported devices and unsupported, but much more powerfull than supported. In both cases DJI app should work without any issuel.

We do not talking about Samsung Galaxy mini phone. We are talking about supported galaxy Note 3. This is not low-end hardware.

And here you have a compare of efficiency various Android devices:

http://www.androidbenchmark.net/passmark_chart.html

Something is wrong here, and ommiting some extremal cases with extremaly bloatwared devices, the DJI should work on modern mid and high-range android tablets without any problems.
2015-6-16
Use props
dineli
lvl.2

Switzerland

No miracle ...

Please, let us not forget, we are not talking about a miracle,
we are talking about something that was working perfectly in the past with most of us,
so there should be a possibility they make it work again, isn't it?

2015-6-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bbmak Posted at 2015-6-17 02:59
witch 30 Dollar device ?

Moto-G right now.
A $99 Nexus 7 -2013  on the way for larger screen.
2015-6-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MikeAngelo Posted at 2015-6-17 02:53
I actually did have a crash due to the freeze frames.    I was using an Android Turbo.   All up to d ...

If you are using the camera rather than your eyes to determine the position of your Phantom, then you are likely to crash (if you fly close to anything!).

I've been flying quads for 2 1/2 years and have never used a camera to know where it was or where it is headed.

On my P3 it would be impossible to know the accurate position of anything closer than perhaps 30 feet.....and I won't even get that close (to a billboard or tree, etc.) unless I am right there watching the action.

In a few years the other avoidance sensors may be part of the package - but for now, these things are for aerial photos and video in open areas or else very close by and carefully controlled by you (not by remote cam view).

I have some nice footage I've taken close to trees and a graveyard, etc. but I was watching from the side and/or standing behind the quad with the machine and tree right in front of me. These are good shots - because they surprise the viewer when they get above the tree and see the view, etc.

Now I just have to edit the batch so they are worthy of putting online.

But, yeah, when I took them the lag was present (hadn't learned about killing all the processes) and the app even disconnected a couple times - but I still had stick control and the bird was within range.

I guess I'm a very conservative pilot - but I want to keep my bird. I lost about 10 of the toy quads over the years by being tempted to do things I should not have.
2015-6-16
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325659 ft
United States

I was having the same issue after updating to FW 1.2.6 on my P3 Pro.  At the same time Google updated a bunch of its apps on my Nexus 7 II tablet.  All of a sudden I was having massive video lag and overheating on the android device.  I switched to a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone and that was worse.  I saw this thread and thought, why not uninstall google play services and give that a try.  Voila - no more video lag or stuttering.

The Nexus 7 still gets very hot while running the pilot app, but I'm now back to normal with little or no video lag through a 20 min session.  

The DJI pilot app is very close to overheating any android device on its own, any slight changes to the data feed from the quadcopter or from the background apps like Google Play Services will cause it to go over the edge and you will experience massive video lag and stuttering.

For now I'm just leaving Google Play Services OFF of this Nexus 7 II tablet.  I don't need to enable wifi anymore anyways I only use this pad for the P3.

2015-6-16
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-17 03:34
If you are using the camera rather than your eyes to determine the position of your Phantom, then  ...

You are not conservative mate, you are just wise ;)

I am flying too in a range of sight, and do not fly close some other objects.
Gravity does not forgive.

However, on safe altitude there is nice to fly fpv without 4s lags as some people have here. It should just work fine.
Normal delay on technical data is 200ms, and i measured it, and this is about 180-230ms on my tablet (after stripping to 60% load) at now, and this is ok - thats how it works, this is not video lag issue.

2015-6-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dineli Posted at 2015-6-17 03:14
No miracle ...

Please, let us not forget, we are not talking about a miracle,

The classic story of the blind men and the elephant.

Mine had lag and other problems in 1.1.8
So did others.
These machines are very new, so things like the logs and video cache would not have time to build up problems.....
It also went from mild to warmer in most areas of the world where we are flying them.

Android did a 5.0 update which is known to have problems.....

As a result there is no "we whose devices worked well before" - that's anecdotal because there was simply not enough experiences to have real data.

It's the old story. I brought my car in for an oil change. Two weeks later the head gasket blew. Therefore, it must be because my mechanic changed the oil because it only happened after that...right?

Wrong!

We have all levels of users here on the DJI forums, but on the RCG forums where most users are highly technical there are vastly fewer problems - and yet thousands of RCG members have Phantom 3's.

Why?

The problem with this thread is that you some folks screaming "It's the GPS", others saying "It's 5.0 lollipop" and still others saying "I should be able to run everything else on my phone and tablet at the same time"

I think we can rest assured that DJI knows what to look for. But I perfect solutions won't be easy - more likely things will get better slowly and DJI may also clarify that people need better tablets (in the future).

Hey, if the "miracle" happens I'll be happy for all of you. But I've been into technology and graphics for many decades and it's harder than "fix it now".
2015-6-16
Use props
MikeAngelo
lvl.2

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-17 03:34
If you are using the camera rather than your eyes to determine the position of your Phantom, then  ...

I'm totally agree with you. .    I am usually a very conservative pilot as well.   But, on this day I decided to follow a couple of vehicles.   A practice I normally would not do.   i only fly operations that I have planned out.   I made a mistake, and the bird paid the price.   Luckily, it was only minor damage.   Or so I can tell thus far.

I bring it to this forum, to help others.   Don't make any rush decisions while in the air.    Pre-plan.  Pre-plan.   Pre-plan.

with that said, if I'm using line of sight, in coordination with FPV, I should have a reasonable amount of expectation to trust what I am seeing on my tablet/smart phone.
2015-6-16
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

Mate, there is some problem connected with GPS. This is undeniable fact. A few people, including me, observed and noted it.

The extreamely bloatwared devices are completely other story. everybody here know it, but stripping tablet into a zombie, is not good.
Look at my case - i have pretty much efficient device, i stripped it into a zombie, even normal 'system' app such like google service could not be updated.

Brand new and 'cleaned' from bloatware tablets have problem with this DJI pilot app. Nobody here want to run everything on his tablet at one time.
2015-6-16
Use props
DVD Mansion
lvl.2
Canada

How do you uninstall google play services on Lollipop?
2015-6-16
Use props
azdevv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 171 ft
United States

Man, I just ordered a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 that will arrive tomorrow and now I see this thread.  I've read thru the 16 pages of this thread and mostly see complaints about the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, but no mention of the Pro.  Actually, I can't find much info about anyone using the P3 successfully with the Tab Pro.  Does anyone know if the lag issues are also there for the Pro?

I know the Tab S is an Octocore 1.9Ghz/1.3Ghz and the Tab Pro is a Quadcore 2.3Ghz Snapdragon 800 processor.  I'm hoping this difference is the reason why I'm not seeing complaints about the Pro.  I mean, you would think the Tab S would work being the latest Android with 8 cores lol.  But who knows what the problem is.  

Anyway, hope you guys with Tab S get this resolved and wish me luck when my Tab Pro gets here tomorrow.  I have had about 20 flights using the 1.2Ghz LG G Pad 7.0 but there is heavy lag, which makes sense being such a low-end device.  I'm not sure if the lag got worse after 1.1.9 but I had thought the tablet was getting much hotter after the FW update.  Who knows.

2015-6-16
Use props
StevenHuff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 333852 ft
United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-6-17 03:05
This is not theory. This is the fact. Measured and expressed by digits.Test is showing what is at t ...

I suggest you ignore the person who posts under the name droneflyers .com    He thinks he is smarter than everyone else when clearly he is not.  He is also biased against Android.  He is not worth listening to or debating with.
2015-6-16
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-6-17 04:06
Mate, there is some problem connected with GPS. This is undeniable fact. A few people, including me, ...

Well, I will agree that GPS uses a certain amount of CPU use - so there is a problem with it. But the problem is likely not with the GPS but just that all the other stuff is taking up so much processing power that the GPS data takes it over the top.

All guesswork  - of course!

I think the problem is more general - anything which uses more cycles is going to slow it down and anything which frees up cycles (and turning GPS off does so) will help it.

GPS may be used in a lot of ways - for example, even in ATTI mode I assume the GPS still records the flight path?

These machines are highly technical. We will still be here on the forums in a year trying to figure out all the little things.....of course, we will have our Phantom 3+ or Phantom 4 models by that time.
2015-6-16
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

Yepp, but in old version of google services i am flying with 16 satellites, maps and my tablet is on 55% load..... on latest version of google services i have 85% of cpu load. This is software issue, hardware is the same, of course there can be something else, because on iOS there is no google services and people have video lag too.
2015-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules