Phantom 3 Lag / Pause Android in FPV
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bluemagic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1129629 ft
United States

How do you downgrade the Google Play services on the Note 4? it gives me and admin warning with no option.
Ahh I got it! Will try tommorow on my Note 4.
2015-6-17
Use props
leon
lvl.1

United States

Ok, Can someone explain how to DOWNGRADE Google Play Services It only allows you to Uninstall Updates, My current version is 7.5.74 If you Uninstall the Updates it Uninstalls it, OH, NEVER MInd I see, it's now on version 6.7.77, I assume that is the downgraded version? If you disable this version 6.7.77 you won't get any maps in Pilot App 1.2 Ok, Cool I will give this a try tomorrow, as it's dark out with nothing to shoot.
Hopefully this will eliminate the Lag issue.
2015-6-17
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

chaseo5887 Posted at 2015-6-18 10:27
Just curious, what is stock version of Google play services? My Nexus 7 2013 has 5.1.1 and GPS won ...

Yes, but if you disable a 'built in' app, it will uninstall any updates that were installed since the device was first provisioned. Then we enable the app again to use the earlier version that the vendor first rolled out with the phone, hoping that it works better for GPS calls with the DJI Pilot app.

From there we don't allow the app to update otherwise we are back to square one with lag, until DJI come up with a better workaround or fix within their app. It may be that DJI tweak their code when making calls to Google Play Services, or they bypass Google Play Services altogether and call the Android API directly for gps functions.
2015-6-17
Use props
TiagoMatias
lvl.2

Portugal

There is a new firmware update for Advanced P3... 1.2.8 ... Who will be the beta testers now?
2015-6-18
Use props
m.vos2
lvl.1

Ireland

TiagoMatias Posted at 2015-6-18 16:02
There is a new firmware update for Advanced P3. Who will be the beta testers now?

waiting for the pro update

1. Fixed issue of unwanted lines at the bottom photos and videos when image scale is set to 4:3.

does not look all that promesing
2015-6-18
Use props
TiagoMatias
lvl.2

Portugal

Its only because the bottom lines...

1. Fixed issue of unwanted lines at the bottom of photos and videos when the image scale is set to 4:3.
2015-6-18
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

m.vos2@quicknet Posted at 2015-6-18 16:05
waiting for the pro update

no comments,
results here:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 39&page=1#pid153177

please don't install this one.
2015-6-18
Use props
m.vos2
lvl.1

Ireland

musman1978 Posted at 2015-6-18 20:39
no comments,
results here:

ahhh  I see an other quality dji update lol
2015-6-18
Use props
TiagoMatias
lvl.2

Portugal

<Sarcastic mode on>

Thumbs up DJI.. i fuckin love you!!!

</Sarcastic mode off>
2015-6-18
Use props
supachiney
lvl.1

United States

so any word on the fan in a p3 controller from a few pages back? is that legit or nah? i cant see why they would out one in....
2015-6-18
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

musman1978 Posted at 2015-6-18 20:39
no comments,
results here:

issue looks resolved now,
don't know why but DJI pilot is showing now 1.2.8 version.

I'm lost ...
2015-6-18
Use props
ballbreaker4712
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Mine has the the 1.1.5 firmware version in from new has always flown OK Ish.
Tiny bit of lag not sure if this is as good as it gets of should it be  perfect no glitch at all? I have just  flown it and it said upgrade required as it always has done.
This time the app crashed after 10 mins and it returned home as it should. I relaunched and everything OK again.
I'm not sure what to do now,  should I upgrade or stick ??
fpv is pretty good, but should it be perfectly fluid??  this is my first drone so I haven't any other fpv experience to compare.
2015-6-18
Use props
aburkefl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Antenna orientation?

Are your antennas being hid behind your tablet?
Are your antennas pointed straight out or straight up all the time?

The antennas do work very well if pointed directly at the Phantom.
The antennas do not radiate directly off the end. i.e.,
DO NOT POINT YOUR ANTENNAS DIRECTLY AT YOUR PHANTOM.

The further away you are, the more important this is. Try to keep your antennas
broadside to your Phantom. If your antennas are pointed directly at your Phantom
and producing an angle that's essentially parallel with the ground - then most of your
signals are going  straight up and straight down and NOT toward your Phantom.

This could be improved tremendously with helical antennas - like those you see with a lot
of FPV equipment - look like little clover-leaf thingies. Those funny-looking little antennas
are not only omni-directional, they also provide gain - they effectively amplify the signals
going back and forth between your controller and your Phantom. They are, however, more
costly and that may well be the simple reason we don't have them on our controllers.
2015-6-19
Use props
jerry486
lvl.2
Flight distance : 579357 ft
Germany

went very quiet in here all of a sudden, are we lag/freeze free now then?
2015-6-19
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

jerry486 Posted at 2015-6-19 22:24
went very quiet in here all of a sudden, are we lag/freeze free now then?

No. I suspect that people are tired of shoveling fecal matter up hill.

I'm done.

Can't have a relationship with a company that constantly lies about simple things much less serious problems.
2015-6-19
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

gregg1r Posted at 2015-6-19 22:39
No. I suspect that people are tired of shoveling fecal matter up hill.

I'm done.

We have temporary workaround in downgrading of Google Play Services, we are able to fly, and we all waiting for DJI fix.As DJI employees wrote, they are working on it.
2015-6-19
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-6-19 23:27
We have temporary workaround in downgrading of Google Play Services, we are able to fly, and we all ...

The biggest problem is that people have lost faith in DJI and their ability to correct the problems on the Phantom 3. I understand in the grand scheme of things a month isn't a long time. It appears like ages when those in the northern hemisphere are in summer and so the days will be getting shorter.

A few weeks back, before the release of firmware 1.1.8, DJI claimed they could not duplicate the issue users were having. Then a week and a half later they came out with 1.1.9. and a new improved version of the Pilot app. Here we are two weeks later and 1.2.6/7 is out with cryptic descriptions of what was fixed. Also a new and improved 1.2.0 Pilot app.

In DJI's defense, users of unsupported devises shouldn't expect DJI to address and fix their problems. However if I'm using one of your recommended devises and have problems, don't tell me to hold on we're working it and then keeping me in the dark on root cause and the solution.

The users have come up with more work arounds than DJI. The polls on those that have updated verses waiting for the next fix to be rolled out reflect this.

Me personally, I've lost interest in the P3P. If I want to work and tinker on something I have paying work I can do. I purchased a flying camera to be used as a toy. It ain't fun anymore.
2015-6-19
Use props
bbmak
lvl.1
Flight distance : 125476 ft
Germany

just tryed again with note 3.

Copter Firmware v1.2.8 for Advanced Note 3 with DJI Pilot app v1.2.0

At the start i have about 65% CPU usage when i fly around it goes higher and higher. If it reaches 85% to 90 and more it is extremly laaaagy.
The Batterie Temperature in the Note 3 is around 28C.

When is stop and uninstall the Google Play Service ist works super fast !!!

dont know why this take so Long for a fix DJI !!!!
2015-6-19
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171946 ft
Finland

I have got (Lollipop) Sony Xperia Z3.
Should I go to settings=>Aplications=>All=>Google Play services=>Disable=>Uninstall updates?
2015-6-20
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TiagoMatias Posted at 2015-6-17 19:04
Anybody notice any difference between disable Google Play Services versus uninstalling recent versio ...

If you disable Play Services completely the maps won't run at least in Pilot App.
2015-6-20
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

4wd Posted at 2015-6-20 18:41
If you disable Play Services completely the maps won't run at least in Pilot App.

Yes, thats why is better (in my opinion) downgrade them to stock (uninstall updates).
2015-6-20
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171946 ft
Finland

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-6-20 21:56
Yes, thats why is better (in my opinion) downgrade them to stock (uninstall updates).

How can I uninstall updates? My Sony Xperia, "uninstall updates-button is not active...
2015-6-20
Use props
Kevin Stewart
lvl.2
Flight distance : 649426 ft
India

Flight flight after upgrading firmware to 1.2.8(P3A) and pilot app 1.2.0
noticed that the P3 wasn't holding position so well(17satellites), it was drifting a little and required correction (which previously wasn't needed).

Flew to the maximum altitude limit in the App, and had LOW image transmission signal warning! Just 500meters away,and low signal? On 1.1.9 and pilot app1.1.0 ,I went 2.2KM away, and had full range on rc and video!

FPV was good and smooth for 15 minutes ,and then suddenly the device screen went completely black! And came back in 3-5 seconds,after which there was horrible lag! 1 frame per 5-8 seconds!! Obviously time to RTH and land,also Google.com.process something showed up
2015-6-20
Use props
freddyhfk
lvl.1

Romania

Sold my p2 with gopro and fpv and bought P3 Pro, i think it is the big mistake for this year. Using all software up to date and a Samsung S5 (new) (recommended device)the tpv its horrible; when first start the lag is OK but in seconds all became garbage and after few minutes the image freeze completely. Many thanks DJI for the RTH button.
2015-6-21
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

jorski@netti.fi Posted at 2015-6-20 17:23
I have got (Lollipop) Sony Xperia Z3.
Should I go to settings=>Aplications=>All=>Google Play servic ...

Yes. And then enable it again afterwards. Be sure not to update google maps etc in the near future otherwise google play services will get updated too
2015-6-21
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

freddyhfk Posted at 2015-6-21 19:01
Sold my p2 with gopro and fpv and bought P3 Pro, i think it is the big mistake for this year. Using  ...

Have you taken all the steps to carefully check your CPU use?
The P3 is magical, but not magical enough to counteract physics (electronics).

Here is a basic list of stuff. Various android apps and services can suck 50% of the device capability - leaving not enough for the P3.

There are close to 100,000 P3's out there and 99% are flying...
If you are not interested in slimming down Android, then go with IOS - it's still a dirt cheap setup compared to a P2 with true digital FPV and telemetry.

http://droneflyers.com/talk/thre ... ixes.969/#post-3272
2015-6-21
Use props
Kevin Stewart
lvl.2
India

Anyone knows when the next update is coming?{:3_42:}
2015-6-21
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

Kevin Stewart Posted at 2015-6-21 23:34
Anyone knows when the next update is coming?

nope,
depends on difficulty f.e. for P3A and 4:3 pictures issue they released fix in 2 days (1.2.8),
this lag issue is a complex one so we cannot guess.

fingers crossed for a quick fix
2015-6-21
Use props
johnmaetta
lvl.2

United States

I have read some reports of direct correlation between the number of GPS satellites acquired by the P3 and the FPV lag/freeze/stutter issue. My FPV lag/stutter issues happened with FW version 1.1.9, FW 1.1.8 ran great.

This morning I tried a test using my P3A and a Samsung Tab 4. The P3A, RC and DJi Pilot app are at current released version levels. Google Play services disabled, all other apps stopped. Video down-link bandwidth at 4MbS. Video cleared and cache 'off'.

I placed the P3A on a table, inside my home. Started everything I as would for any normal flight op.
The P3A acquired between 11 and 13 GPS satellites. Then I moved the camera gimbal throughout its elevation limits and observed the FPV video results.

I quickly observed a very noticeable FPV lag/stutter.  Placing my hand over the GPS receiver of the P3A, the GPS satellite count went to zero and the FPV lag/stutter all but disappeared.  Removing my hand from the P3A, the satellite count went back up over 10 and the FPV lag/stutter returned.

I can only imagine that the FPV lag/stutter would increace if this test had been performed outdoors and 17 or 18 GPS satellite had been acquired.

To me, it appears that the P3A processor is overwhelmed processing large amounts of GPS data. I am almost positive that GPS processing take priority over other processes such as FPV video streaming.

Attached is a video of this mornings test.

2015-6-21
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

I wish there were a way of observing the data thru put between the Phantom, transmitter and the FPV signal.

I suspect that the data is being constrained. Somewhere within the transmitter there is something that splits the transmitter/receiver signal from the FPV.

The question is, is the  data being transmitted/received check summed? If the data is being check summed and there is an error in receipt, this can stall further communications until the correct answer is given.

2015-6-21
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-21 21:19
Have you taken all the steps to carefully check your CPU use?
The P3 is magical, but not magical  ...

"There are close to 100,000 P3's out there and 99% are flying..."

Cool, where do you get your stats from?
2015-6-21
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

johnmaetta@comc Posted at 2015-6-22 04:28
I have read some reports of direct correlation between the number of GPS satellites acquired by the  ...

Interesting. If you use the "Cool Tool" app and enable the "DevTools Process Monitor" in the options to get a list of the top processes, what are the top processes when your tablet is lagging? Also what is the CPU usage?

Have you tried re-enabling Google Play Services to see if that makes a difference (but don't update to the latest version).

And what is your Android version?
I also see you are getting the lovely gimble overloaded error message.
2015-6-21
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

New Zealand

freddyhfk Posted at 2015-6-21 19:01
Sold my p2 with gopro and fpv and bought P3 Pro, i think it is the big mistake for this year. Using  ...

Have you tried downgrading 'google play services' as a workaround?:

1. 'Play Store' app > Settings > Auto-update apps > "Do not..." to turn off automatic updating

2. 'Settings' app> Security > Device Administrators" and uncheck/deactivate "Android Device Manager" as a device administrator

3. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL (scroll right if needed to see this option) > Google Play Services > Disable (or Uninstall)... then choose to uninstall any updates from the stock version when prompted.

4. 'Settings' app> Applications > Application Manager > ALL > Google Play Services > Enable ....this will enable the older stock version of google play services

Ignore future upgrade requests for Google Maps etc as that will upgrade Google Play Services also. (until there is a proper fix from DJI)

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... p;page=17#pid151670

Read through page 16/17/18 of this thread for more background on this possible workaround.
2015-6-21
Use props
Kevin Stewart
lvl.2
India

With the latest firmware update 1.2.6/1.2.8, 1 guy had his P3 fly away , even after holding RTH it didn't return! Another guy's P3 was hovering and suddenly it went left at a good speed and hit into his daughter's face,15 stitches! And Another guys p3 just started yawing n acting crazy and crashed! My P3 is grounded until the next update! Which hopefully fixes the large number of issues!! @tahoe_Ed any update from your side???????
2015-6-22
Use props
alessio.pac
lvl.2
Italy

Hi all, today I decided to by Ultimate flight V3, I wanted to see if my TAB S 8.4 did lag with this app too.
What to say... video is quite perfect with google play service update and enabled. I also try to switch off airplane mode, still perfect.
Unfortunately this app is not perfect, but video transmission is very good. Cpu was at  80- 84%, no lag!
Please DJI, update as soon as possible.
Thanks
2015-6-22
Use props
Radikaltech
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1385814 ft
  • >>>
Venezuela

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2015-6-22
Use props
johnmaetta
lvl.2

United States

alessio.pac@gma Posted at 2015-6-22 23:13
Hi all, today I decided to by Ultimate flight V3, I wanted to see if my TAB S 8.4 did lag with this  ...

Was there a special firmware you had to install in your P3?
2015-6-22
Use props
Antti
lvl.1

Finland

I tested my FPV feed (so far I have been learning to fly) and it was laggy as well (Samsung S3 + Android 4.4.4, DJI Pilot 1.2.0, P3P 1.2.6). I used Cool Tool App from Google Play to check my CPU load. My CPU load was constantly at around 95%... I blocked GPS signals with tinfoil so I had 0 satellites connected. No change to CPU load. Then I downgraded Google Play Services to stock. My CPU load dropped to around 60%. FPV feed wasn't laggy anymore. At some point during flying around and recording I noticed small lag spikes and saw my CPU load go up by 5% for half a second at the same time as the lag spike. Eventually CPU load went back to 95% or so for some reason and live feed became laggy again. I can always buy a new phone or tablet, but does it really cure the problem?

DJI should add some sort of warning to CPU load... High CPU load causes laggy FPV feed as well as it may kill the app as well which can be a disaster depending on where you fly.
2015-6-22
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Poland

Antti Posted at 2015-6-23 02:32
I tested my FPV feed (so far I have been learning to fly) and it was laggy as well (Samsung S3 + And ...

Google Play Services are a part of bloatware. Check other apps running as a service, for example facebook, google+, autoupdates.
Those apps can in any moment run update process, download some crap from the Internet and make your tablet overloaded and finally it may cause FPV lag and crash.

My tablet is only for flying, i have disabled auto - updates, crap bloatware software (google play services at first), i am updating map before flight and turn off any wifi or 3g/lte/bluetooth connections.
2015-6-22
Use props
great.day
lvl.2

United States

After two weeks of issue free flying on v 1.1.8, I updated my firmware to 1.1.9 on May 22nd - since that update, I have experienced almost every issue conveyed in this thread.  Updated to 1.2.6 on June 15 - the issues continue.

DJI says that they are aware of the issues and to stay tuned.  It's been a month as of today.  Trying to keep tuned. But, it's getting frustrating.  Communication from DJI .... huh?

I wish I could have my 1.1.8 back until they get this sorted out.
2015-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules