Phantom 3 Lag / Pause Android in FPV
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seadog1967
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59265 ft
United States

Ok flew 4 batteries in a fair ground field so no interference near. Cleared cache, used zapper to kill apps even bought a new usb cable. Several disconnects  and also  DJI unfortunately stopped working message.  Longer I flew the worse it got to the point of no onscreen controls working.  Prior verson no issues.  Did everything  except a factory reset plus deleting all apps.  I just spent $1299 on a system that worked fine with 1.1.8 with same tablet (Tab S 10.5) It's crap after upgrade. I refuse to render a $500+ tablet useless just to fly when it worked fine.  Those that mentioned we should have a dedicated tablet for this all I can say is send me one then. I'm on fixed income, retired, disabled. Life sucks but this sucks more.  My quad allowed me more freedom and much relaxation. With one update all is gone.  It's a major problem.  
2015-6-10
Use props
ruprick
lvl.2

United States

Love DJI sidestepping the issue and being unable to replicate the issue. Anyone remember this guy? He work for DJI?
2015-6-10
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

This IS the flagship product of DJI. Two weeks without fix and comments about not possibility of replicate error... and about unsupported devices (Top of the top S tablets and S6 phones. This is not a low end, they are high-end and efficient devices).
Not good. If they do not fix it soon, the word will spread and nobody professional will buy a Spreading wings or new Matrice 100 system.

DJI. Give us some comment, tell you working on it. Shit happens - just life -  but if you fix it and problem will be solved, everyone (except guy who crashed P3) of us will be Your happy client.
I am very like my Phantom 3, it is really awesome. This software bug is ruining our idyll.
2015-6-10
Use props
Spot Landing
lvl.1

Germany

The Last Time i Sent E-Mail to DJI Support , behause my Tab S After some  Minutes the Live Picture Freeze

Now : Today i have becomme E-Mail from the Support ..  ( Mr. Blair Tang)

He Write me ,that I Have to take Another Device Who is in the supportet List.

I Think That is a Bad Joke, i m Angry about DJI

The Galaxy Tab S is the absolut Top Modell from Samsung.
2015-6-10
Use props
johnmaetta
lvl.2

United States

If I recall correctly,  when the Phantom 3 was announced, DJi said the Pilot app will work on 'your Android or iOS devices.'

Never heard '...the Pilot app will work on certain Android and iOS devices that are stripped down, throttled back and water cooled.'

2015-6-10
Use props
TiagoMatias
lvl.2

Portugal

That's my Tab S 8.4 running Pilot App. If its not at 100%, it should work good... But no.. it stutters and freezes image...
Those other programs are just working in background itselfs. They are not oppened. Only Pilot App opened.
2015-6-10
Use props
StevenHuff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 333852 ft
United States

Selim Posted at 2015-6-10 18:25
I've the same issue with my Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Stock Rom 5.0.2, Pilot App 1.1.0, P3P 1.1.9 Firmware,  ...

You brought up a great point.  Not only does the video lag... but the telemetry lags too.  My app often crashes and when it does, the screen just hangs up.  So it is not immediately obvious that it is an app crash rather than the normal severe lagging.  

This is dangerous for many reasons... including when the app says you have a lot more battery than you really do.  
2015-6-10
Use props
matukash
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5261699 ft
United States

As they say- when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Got my hair dryer, made a small nozzle out of paper to have more heat, got some pliers, special glue and zip ties.. Heated it up and then slowly brought it back to shape, re-glued all the screw stems, which had broken off, straightened the reinforcement tabs inside of the frame and glued some cracks in them. Reinforced the cracks with tiny bits of 0.7mm carbon fiber plate and ended up with something that flies. Today managed to heat up the reassembled arm high enough to where i could slowly twist it for proper alignment with the other motors. Used some spring clamps and books to weigh down the phantom  and put some c clamps to where it would put some twisting pressure on the arm. Then blew my hair dryer at it evenly for about 10 minutes, let it cool down and so far it works well, judging from the initial flight. I have also put some thick zip ties in places where the internal clamps of the shell have broken off. The arm is now sturdy, yet the motor, when rotating it slowly, occasionaly crackles due to the magnets touching the metal winding plates. Don't know if ill be getting jello in the footage, but hey, at least there's a work around to that problem, as DJI have taught us, to simply use an ND filter when the gimbal is not working as advertised. I am waiting for DJI's reply here in this forum thread regarding the compensation options, because your item is not the Item I was convinced of buying after reading it's awesome description.

Here are some pictures: After and before
20150610_183420000_iOS.jpg
2015-6-10
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

small lags - I can fly with no huge issues but crashes are not acceptable ... clean Asus Nexus 7 and no issues with overheating or CPU usage,
cannot wait for patch ;)
2015-6-10
Use props
marc.langlais
New

Canada

Nothing to say, the video tell themself

this is on nexus 9, recomended tablet from Dji
2015-6-10
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

Spot Landing Posted at 2015-6-11 01:19
The Last Time i Sent E-Mail to DJI Support , behause my Tab S After some  Minutes the Live Picture F ...

Total ignorance :/ Wrote to them than supported devices are also affected, both on iOS and Android.
2015-6-10
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

johnmaetta@comc Posted at 2015-6-11 00:19
Great read...But, no matter how you view it, if CPU loading and heat are issues on DJi supported d ...

Note quite as simple as that....
You'd have to state exactly how many background apps you think it should run at the same time, etc. - on supported devices.

It goes without saying that the DJI Pilot app does more than any app most of us have ever used. It should and will (likely) work on supported devices....but not on some supported devices without changing settings and stripping out background tasks which are hogging the CPU.

Now that we actually know what the issue is, I suspect DJI will work on making the app save some CPU cycles - but there is only so far that can go if we want all this fancy info.

It's strange how I am able to do fairly well with a $30 Moto-X  - that in itself would seem to prove that dedicating most resources to the Pilot App solves most of the problem(s).

2015-6-10
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

musman1978 Posted at 2015-6-11 02:50
small lags - I can fly with no huge issues but crashes are not acceptable ... clean Asus Nexus 7 and ...

Crashes are usually avoidable. It's quite a stretch (IMHO) to say that FPV or the lack of made me crash into a wall or tree or the ground. I fly only LOS and am in total control of my Phantom at most times...and when I am not, I know that crashing is possible.

No one should use the camera to fly. It's to frame shots and also discern general direction.

Also, pilots experiencing problems (lag and otherwise) should fix them or keep their birds on the ground or in a big open field. The Phantom has no obstacle avoidance except for the Pilot's eyes.
2015-6-10
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TiagoMatias Posted at 2015-6-11 01:51
That's my Tab S 8.4 running Pilot App. If its not at 100%, it should work good... But no.. it stut ...

NO....less than 100% does not mean it will work perfectly.

Neither you or a program can monitor the CPU many times a second. Use the advice I provided as a guide - if you are under about 82% at the peaks you are probably OK. That doesn't mean perfect - but OK. It should run 50-70% most of the time on a decent device.
2015-6-10
Use props
TiagoMatias
lvl.2

Portugal

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-11 03:22
NO....less than 100% does not mean it will work perfectly.

Neither you or a program can monitor t ...

So its Pilot App fault!! Jeez, a recent tablet from samsung with 8 cores and 3 gb of ram and its not a "decent device"?.. Holly crap!
2015-6-10
Use props
cwhobbies
lvl.3

United States

matukash@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-11 02:50
As they say- when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Got my hair dryer, made a small nozzle out o ...

Awesome job putting it back together, lol
2015-6-10
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

marc.langlais Posted at 2015-6-11 02:51

this is on nexus 9, recomended  ...

Mate, please write to a DJI. You are the chosen one who owe 'supported' device. They will cannot write to you about unsupported devices like to above colleague.
Some guys are writting own app for iOS, and the want to clean this lags. So as somebody above wrote, it would be a problem of app.
Wherever the problem is, DJI should fix that.
2015-6-10
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

cwilliams@trico Posted at 2015-6-10 12:46
Be cautious.   Supposedly if that drone flies away your video cache is the only proof of something ...

Don't forget it has the onboard cache for flight logs that DJI use for problems.
2015-6-10
Use props
lzielen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34393 ft
United States

TiagoMatias Posted at 2015-6-11 03:50
So its Pilot App fault!! Jeez, a recent tablet from samsung with 8 cores and 3 gb of ram and its no ...

This DJI forum thread identifies many unsupported devices with varying cpu power that worked fine with the DJI pilot app through the end of May.  Only a few of the posters that had old devices reported video lag or stuttering.  Since no issues were reported prior to the recent software/firmware release, I believe it is safe to say that the issue is in the most recent software/firmware and not due to the processing power of the device used.
2015-6-10
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

Kevin Stewart Posted at 2015-6-11 00:08
Just like everyone else here(android), I too experienced heavy lag and low quality FPV, app crashes, ...

S6 huh? That has the highest performance mark score in the tests I've seen... miles in front of anything else... and it still had problems! ..... Wow! I would love to see the Zapper App run on that to see the CPU usage...  Possible?

Thxs Chris
2015-6-10
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

johnmaetta@comc Posted at 2015-6-11 00:19
Great read...But, no matter how you view it, if CPU loading and heat are issues on DJi supported d ...

Oh yes I agree with you all.... a problem... it was not a answer .....just a test....

As for heat thingy people keep talking about here? Not a problem here...less than 10c here last night and the TAB S cold to touch.

Just 1.1.9 putting a BIG load on the table device... TAB S has a high performance mark and with just the DJI app running... Using around 57% of the CPU!... and a fair chunk of RAM too.

I hope DJI helps out here... Please
2015-6-10
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

TiagoMatias Posted at 2015-6-11 01:51
That's my Tab S 8.4 running Pilot App. If its not at 100%, it should work good... But no.. it stut ...

Mate my tests here showed if my TAB S was running at +80% I had lag problems after some time in the flight... last night took out everything I could off the TAB S and got the CPU usage down to 57% and it ran fine.

Try for yourself if you can.

Get Zapper app.
Disable the updates from google play store and Samsung store (To stop them re-installing again)
remove, delete or disable everything you can running on the TAB S
Get the DJI app running and CPU total usage below 60%..
Fly again and see how you go...

PM me if you got questions

Thxs Chris
2015-6-10
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

marc.langlais Posted at 2015-6-11 02:51
https://youtu.be/YOskisF1cYw
this is on nexus 9, recomended  ...

Hi Mate, I watched your video... one question at the start you showed your CPU and RAM usage... Didn't seem to have much CPU left for the DJI app?

We know the DJI app needs lots of power... MY TAB S uses 57% of its 8 cores to run just the DJI app.

Can you re-test and look at CPU / RAM usage when the DJI app is running? How much is in use and free?

Thxs mate.
2015-6-10
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-11 03:16
Note quite as simple as that....
You'd have to state exactly how many background apps you think it ...

Yes agree.... give the DJI all the grunt you can and free your device as much as possible.... But to do this? My tab s became a DJI only device.... Nothing else on it...

Your moto X...? I guess its not running anything else? and very lite for running / installed apps / fatware?

Regs Chris
2015-6-10
Use props
pencilcoil
New

United Kingdom

I really dont think this problem has much to do with the app version. Some people are clearly using really powerfull phones and tablets which suggests that cpu power at the display end isnt the issue. The smoking gun is the clear evidence that you get no fpv lag when the gps receiver is covered with your hand but once you allow the gps to connect to sats it starts to stutter. This suggests that the phantom cannot handle calculating gps position from  as many as 20 sats as well as also dealing with fpv. just my 2 cents as they say!
2015-6-10
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Two other hints...

As the device heats up, it may throttle the CPU - this is why it may happen after a few minutes of flying. So having some extra %% is always nice.
Remove any covers and sun shades (if they have backing on the them which touches the device).

One pilot mentioned that things ran smoother when the camera was in Video mode (even when not taking vids) than when in camera mode,,,,,,

I'm just another user so these hints are just for all to experiment with.

My Moto-X keeps trying to run other things (android/motorola/google) but I think I zapped some of them for good. You can disable apps in the setting panel I think. If you have a bunch of those little icons on the upper left, I think it means your device is doing all this stuff in the background.
But, yeah, the moto-x runs OK - I'm getting my $30 value out of it, although I may sell it and buy a 2013 Nexus 7 (about $100).
2015-6-10
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TiagoMatias Posted at 2015-6-11 03:50
So its Pilot App fault!! Jeez, a recent tablet from samsung with 8 cores and 3 gb of ram and its no ...

It's bad and it's good - like editing or watching 4K video.

On one hand that load is because you, as the pilot, now have more capabilities and info at your disposal than with any quad in history.

The other hand......DJI is a bit ahead of the curve and piled too much in there.
2015-6-10
Use props
seadog1967
lvl.1
United States

It's a shame so many are having issues and thinking you have to make your device dedicated to DJI app only is a joke.  So trying to speed it up dumb me  tried to root it and get rid of unwanted bloat.  Well Now I have a $550 coffee coaster. Ya I know was stupid to root but I need this working right for our vacation in two weeks.  Now to decide what to replace it with.  Should of just stayed with my Naza home built.
2015-6-10
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-11 05:28
Two other hints...

As the device heats up, it may throttle the CPU - this is why it may happen afte ...

Nexus 7 huh? Cool... Get one of those and root it to clean out all the junk and see how it goes ???... The TAB S has the best screen I've ever seen... works well in daylight too.
2015-6-10
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

seadog1967@gmai Posted at 2015-6-11 05:32
It's a shame so many are having issues and thinking you have to make your device dedicated to DJI ap ...

I didn't root mine (TAB S) just cleaned out all the stuff other than DJI and what the OS really needed to run.

But yes it became a DJI only device.... But I have reset back to normal now and slowly removing the stuff I don't need and testing again.

The fun never ends...
2015-6-10
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

I'm wondering if running the Android operating system on a new  

Microsoft Surface Pro tablet would allow for enough headroom to run the Pilot APP? The Surface Pro has a 1.7Ghz i& processor and 8GB of ram.

Google Chrome has the ability to run Android and many of the droid apps. http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/3 ... mac-linux-chrome-os

2015-6-10
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

gregg1r Posted at 2015-6-11 06:06
I'm wondering if running the Android operating system on a new  

Microsoft Surface Pro tablet would ...

Just tried this on my Surface 3 Pro... fire it up and just get a DJI picture and nothing else happens...
2015-6-10
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I have been using my Phantom 3 Pro for a few weeks now.  I have been flying with an iPad Air 2 and not really had any of the complaints listed on this thread.  I realize that the thread is mostly dealing with Android uses.  I also have an NVIDIA Shield 8.  I have tried the DJI app on my Shield 8 and I don't seem to see the problem either.  (Although I have not done as much flying with the Shield 8 because I trust the iPad more at this point.)

What's very clear is that the DJI app requires a fast tablet and uses a lot of system resources.  Running high speed video while simultaneously displaying all of the other telemetry data is taxing for any tablet.  (It's a miracle they get it to work at all...)

I think this may be a case where the multi-tasking Android operating system may be complicating the trouble shooting for DJI's engineers.  A consumer's tablet may have many other apps installed... and many of those apps run in the background even when the main window for the app is closed.   Unless you specifically kill all of the apps in your app history you really don't know which ones are using system resources.  It's a complex mix of app ecosystem on the tablet.  For all we know... it might be one specific Android app that conflicts.  Maybe everyone that's loaded the Facebook app are the ones having problems.  (We don't really know?)  Removing extra apps might help...  But it's probably going to take time to track down.

I am sure the engineers at DJI are just as frustrated as the folks venting here...  They want to fix it too.  But they don't have access to your tablets that are behaving badly so it's hard for them to reproduce your problems.  All they can do is try different combinations of apps and guess until they see it happen and get a chance to analyze it.

As for all the guys venting and talking about returning your drones...  I suppose you have every right to do that.  Just be sure the minute you return your drone for a refund... DJI will figure out what the issue was and release a firmware & app update that fixes the problem.  (Sigh...)    My advice is to try to provide specific information to the DJI engineers about your tablet setup.  List the apps you have installed.  List the specific Android version installed.  List any settings you see that seem to affect the performance.  Any information you can provide will help the software engineers find a fix that much sooner.

So far... I am having good luck.  I am really sorry for all the DJI owners who are not having luck.  Hopefully a fix comes soon.
2015-6-10
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Poland

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-6-11 07:18
I have been using my Phantom 3 Pro for a few weeks now.  I have been flying with an iPad Air 2 and n ...

Not exactly. Parrot AR drone 2.0 is also streaming 720 signal and telemetry (over wifi!) and Parrot app is working even on a potato.
There is also aftermarket App and also it works on everything withoug lags, video issues and crashes etc. And there is also map, gps, programable route.I used a Galaxy tab 3 kids (from daughter, 1 GB, two slow cores) with all possible trash apps, with pad connected by bluetooth, with gps, telemetry... and it works fine. On galaxy S3 also.

DJI should just optimize their app.
2015-6-10
Use props
seadog1967
lvl.1
United States

chrisclaydon@bi Posted at 2015-6-11 05:57
I didn't root mine (TAB S) just cleaned out all the stuff other than DJI and what the OS really ne ...

Well after 21/2  hours I got the tablet working  again.  Not sure what apps I'll delete since I use most of them. July I think the shield 2 is coming out with an 8 core so maybe wait till then and get that as dedicated.  I sure would be cheaper than an apple with no gps although I could use hotspot off my phone to get current map.
2015-6-10
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Having a DJI only or mostly device - when one can be had for $30 to $200 (depending on size, speed, age, etc.) is not crazy talk at all.

Heck, my FPV monitor for my setup that gets about 400 feet of range cost me $150.

I guess - like everything else, it depends on how you look at it. If you buy a refurb 2013 Nexus 7 for $100 and use it for your kindle reader also - and it also works as a car/boat GPS....and even use it for other things, it will work fine.

BUT, if you keep all the google tools which, by default, constantly update (even google hangouts was on mine....who care about that?), then you are gonna hit the limit really soon.

I don't fly by camera - I value my craft too much for that, but if I was going to do that I'd buy the ultimate top of the line device and use it mostly for that.....
2015-6-10
Use props
seadog1967
lvl.1
United States

guess I'll go to the base BX then and see what they have.
2015-6-10
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

seadog1967@gmai Posted at 2015-6-11 08:07
Well after 21/2  hours I got the tablet working  again.  Not sure what apps I'll delete since I us ...

Maps can be cached in either apple maps or google, so you can have 25 miles square or larger already in there and no need to hotspot.
2015-6-10
Use props
seadog1967
lvl.1
United States

that is going by your area.  Some do go more than 25 miles from last cached spot.  I may drive from  Springfield area out to the Bershires then up to Vt. in one day looking for locations to shoot.
2015-6-10
Use props
serge.samson
lvl.1

Canada

Wow... DJI ??  AMAZING

The very few responses (should say comments) you posted are totally discouraging to us your customers.  If I was running your R&D or communications dept, I can assure you a few heads would be rolling by now!

Be serious and restrain from asking whether the Drone was turned ON or if we are flying under a 55 C desert sun.  If the current thread alone does not help you identify potential (just that..) causes then please don't say anything and JUST MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR US TO REVERT TO 1.1.8.

AFTER this is done, and only after .. think and investigate.  You are beyond the point of asking about the weather....

2015-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules