Phantom 3 Lag / Pause Android in FPV
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eknudsen
New

United States

Thank goodness for Facebook. I also commented too this morning after seeing this post still going on with all of us having the same issue with a big paperweight.
2015-6-11
Use props
info.blumcomput
lvl.1
United States

In the meanwhile, is it safe to fly as long as you don't rely on the first person view from the app? Like lets say with no tablet / phone connected?
I will get my Phantom 3 tomorrow and want to try it at least a little bit, even if all the functionality is not there. I bet it comes with 1.19 preistalled, so thats why i was wondering if its safe to fly without the app or a tablet connected.

2015-6-11
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

info.blumcomput Posted at 2015-6-12 02:14
In the meanwhile, is it safe to fly as long as you don't rely on the first person view from the app? ...

If you are relying on an Android device, make sure that you follow the advice that has been posted before with precautions to take.  Fly in LOS until you can assertain how your device will behave.  Not just one flight but several.  As I stated heat can also be a factor.  We have several users in mild climates that cannot replicate the issue however as summer heats up, this may also change.  Just be aware, and don't press it until you have a basis for confidence.
2015-6-11
Use props
Louis Eng
lvl.2

Pakistan

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-12 03:45
If you are relying on an Android device, make sure that you follow the advice that has been poste ...

Middle of winter here, treid all the remedies, lag on supported note 3 worse than on unsupported tab s 10.5 or whatever you and blade called these Samsung devices.
2015-6-11
Use props
leon
lvl.1

United States

Let me just say that, It's somewhat pleasing to know that DJI has acknowledged they know there is a serious problem. I noticed in their post here, that they seem to be surprised that we are so Pissed Off about it and That, is what piss'es me off the most, everything has problems! But At least get your shit together with communications to your customer base!! No Communications is the absolute worse thing one can do as a company! It has to be the cultural differences and the miss understanding of other countries expectations as to what good communications should be, Though, they have No Excuses, as DJI is a Global Company, and it's there responsibility to know how to communicate in a global market!
2015-6-11
Use props
leon
lvl.1

United States

leon Posted at 2015-6-12 05:01
Let me just say that, It's somewhat pleasing to know that DJI has acknowledged they know there is a  ...

I have Lost all my enthusiasm for this Product and Company, I should have learned from the echos of the recent past, shame on me for wanting to trust that DJI would have taken the hint from their last product launch. I'm sorry to say that My P3P will be up for sale! Once trust is broken, It's hard to trust again, maybe time will fix this for them. we'll see!
2015-6-11
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-12 01:28
Isn't that an unsupported older model tablet?

I had one and sold it when I got the P3 because it  ...

oh c’mon .... Nexus 7 1st generation is a powerful machine on Nvidia Tegra 3 chipset,
cannot see a reason why this app should not work on N7
2015-6-11
Use props
leon
lvl.1

United States

musman1978 Posted at 2015-6-12 05:10
oh c’mon .... Nexus 7 1st generation is a powerful machine on Nvidia Tegra 3 chipset,
cannot see  ...

Totally agree, All the newer Samsung Tab S's are very powerful tablets, It's not heat either, its poor encoding and trial before Firmware release! I wish they would have used their own built in monitor!
2015-6-11
Use props
ben_m16
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5201211 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Tahoe_ED, remember that the problem is DIRECTLY related with satellites coverage on gps.

If you do not have GPS coverage , even with outside temperature 40 degrees here in Seville ( Spain ) , everything is fluid.

But if you start receiving GPS satellite coverage , then the problems begin.

So it is not an issue related to the heat , but yes with GPS .
2015-6-11
Use props
info.blumcomput
lvl.1
United States

If you are relying on an Android device, make sure that you follow the advice that has been poste ...

Hi,

I was meaning that if there is any issues (like the drone crashing etc) if no Android or IOS is connected?

2015-6-11
Use props
DVD Mansion
lvl.2
Canada

cwilliams@trico Posted at 2015-6-11 13:24
No offense but this guy's phantom is working,  so why is he hanging around this forum?   Has anyon ...

BINGO!!!!!!!!

That is EXACTLY what we should do! These guys don't even read their own forum or respond!
Let's take it to Facebook PLEASE!
2015-6-11
Use props
musman1978
lvl.2

Poland

just to be clear ... my device is cold and lags are not related to overheating - for some reasons can be but not in my case.
Also strange is that lag is increasing when I rotate drone quickly - maybe as some people are writing source is on GPS algorithm ...

go back to facts ... all was fine with 1.1.8 firmware and this should help you to find root cause.

good luck with fixing ;)
2015-6-11
Use props
Louis Eng
lvl.2

Pakistan

leon Posted at 2015-6-12 05:08
I have Lost all my enthusiasm for this Product and Company, I should have learned from the echos of ...

I think the p3 is a great product, i can even understand that there might be toothing problems with the firmware,  and will await a selution patiently. The thing that irritates me is the denying, and that some posters on other forums that spoke their minds,  regarding the lag problem, were made out to be idiots or trolls
2015-6-11
Use props
ben_m16
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

As I said before the problem is not the heat but the GPS .

It is as if once has taken satellite coverage , the drone dedicates more resources and power to these satellites , reducing the resources available for other tasks such as compressing video and send it to the tablet.

Please DJI , look at the GPS and resources dedicates to it, because there's the rub .

Heat not affected. Today the drone had 25 degree weather and the processor sets drone had a temperature 35 degrees , the temperature did not change what he did , and yet had delays and breaks in the video image as the fixed sufficient satellites ( 8) and he told me it was safe to fly using GPS.

Round - robin problem.

2015-6-11
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

leon Posted at 2015-6-12 05:08
I have Lost all my enthusiasm for this Product and Company, I should have learned from the echos of ...

P3P is really good drone mate, flying is very easy and pleasure, i think you should give them a chance to fix ;)

And to DJI - problem is ralated also to GPS as people above proved it.
2015-6-11
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

musman1978 Posted at 2015-6-12 05:10
cannot see  ...

2013 Nexus is 70% faster - and even that machine is a few years old.
https://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks
(see multi-core test results).

My Moto-X barely runs the app - and that scores 1200. Oh, wow, I just looked closer and my phone is Moto-G, not Moto-X - but the score is similar (1142)
IMHO, the Nexus 7 (2013) may be the best <$100 (refurb) choice but I will report back after I use it for a while.

Just for comparison, an iphone 6 scores about 3X the speed of the Nexus 7 in this test.
The Ipad air is 4.5X as powerful.
(yes, tests are not everything....but one way to compare CPU intensive tasks).

The apple may be even better than shown due to the GPU (hardware encode option) in the DJI Pilot App.

In the end, if we want powerful features we are going to have to have powerful tablets - as they are part of the system.

2015-6-11
Use props
Kyokushin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-12 06:28
2013 Nexus is 70% faster - and even that machine is a few years old.
https://browser.primatelabs.co ...

But GPS positioning and live 720 feed is not a powerful feature

Parrot 2.0 have GPS positioning and 720p stream and it working on a rock, potato, Galaxy S3, everything. A few mathematical operations of GPS positioning do not require powerful CPU. Human can do with a pen, note and setsquare. Something is just broken in code, and i am sure DJI fix it. And also maybe good option would be hardware decoding of vide stream for Android (maybe it is now hardware but we do not know it).
2015-6-11
Use props
ghia1966
lvl.1
Flight distance : 110902 ft
Georgia

I have the same problem. Samsung Tab 4 8".
DJI , please fix this issue.
2015-6-11
Use props
FLYMN
lvl.2

United States

Just curious ... Has anyone tried to reduce the video transmission bit rate?

It's hidden but you can change it by changing the video channel from auto to custom:

HD -->  Custom --> Image Transmission Quality

Change it to 4 Mbps and give it a try! Your video quality will slightly suffer, but it should help.

AJ

2015-6-11
Use props
chris.mathis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24649 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-11 23:35
We have been working on it.  Part of the  issue was that we could not replicate the issue on a Sup ...

Thanks for the update!
2015-6-11
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ben_m16 Posted at 2015-6-12 05:18
Tahoe_ED, remember that the problem is DIRECTLY related with satellites coverage on gps.

If you do  ...

It has nothing to do with GPS.  That has never been replicated by us.  it has to do with CPU usage and heat.  We are working on a fix.  Your comments are not assisting with that effort.
2015-6-11
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Guys you are all over the place.  There are some devices that are supported that are having problems and some that are also supported that have none.  Part of it depends on the provider, the skin that they use over Android and the bloatware.  DJI cannot account for all of that.  We are trying but to hold us to the lowest least demanding firmware is not practicable.  We cannot do that.  iOS is easy as Apple holds strict standards.  You meet that and you are done.  Android is not the same.  There are thousands of standards depending on the device and the provider.  Not a level playing field.
2015-6-11
Use props
great.day
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-12 09:21
It has nothing to do with GPS.  That has never been replicated by us.  it has to do with CPU usage ...

Wow?  Considering DJI hadn't replicated anything until the last day or two after 3 weeks or at least according to this thread. You're indicating that GPS has nothing to do with CPU usage and heat? Really?  Perhaps it hasn't been replicated yet?  Sorry to through this back at you Tahoe_Ed.  Are you sure about that?

Will you let us know what the issue was when you do finally fix this?  And how it was fixed?
2015-6-11
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

great.day Posted at 2015-6-12 09:42
Wow?  Considering DJI hadn't replicated anything until the last day or two after 3 weeks or at leas ...

When we have a fix we will notify our users.
2015-6-11
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-12 09:28
Guys you are all over the place.  There are some devices that are supported that are having problems ...

And the Google gods would have you believe that life is good.

Every manufacturer producing tablets using Android decide what instruction set they wish to use and what additional bloatware they install depending  on vendor kickbacks.

Apple does have a very specific criteria. Provided you use their developers kit, first time app submissions clear Apple in 3-4 weeks. Established companies can fast track approvals for bug fixes, but poison the well if they have to make too many revisions. Also with Apples requiring all app be downloaded from their store, they can monitor for problems.
2015-6-11
Use props
tag666_demon
lvl.1

Canada

IMPORTANT ! HERE IS HOW TO EASYLY FIX THIS ISSUE !
1: Reset you tablet to factory default, after is is updated with lastest Lolipop Firmware.
2: Install Zapper Task Killer
3: Select all selectable processes using Zapper, and Kill All.
4: Install DJI Pilot From Dji Download section on the website(Make sure you allow installation of softwares from unknown sources).                                                             5: Go in Apps option and manually select all apps, and disable notifications for every single app you can do so.
6: Go in App Store and disable automatic updating of all apps, by clicking the 3 dots on the top corner.
7: Go in developer options of your tablet and set "Logger buffer sizes" to 256K(Not sure if it's important but seams to have helped for me).
8: Reopen Zapper again and Kill all processes again
9: Kill all processes again using Zapper(Yes why not twice !)
10: Open Dji Pilot and login to your account
11: Plug your remote, and then turn it on
12: Turn on you Phantom 3
14: Enjoy Lag Free flights...

I was having constant Lags every 3 seconds, on my Nexus 7 2013, did this in this order, and now i'm lag free, tested full 20 min flight.
Also i advise you set ALL animation options in the Developer options to OFF ! To increase performance even better...

Enjoy guys

2015-6-11
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

tag666_demon@ho Posted at 2015-6-12 10:04
1: Reset you tablet to factory default, after is  ...

Thank you for your post.  Hopefully it will help some of our users.
2015-6-11
Use props
leon
lvl.1

United States

ben_m16 Posted at 2015-6-12 05:18

If you do  ...

No! It's not related to how many GPS, I have 16 Sats and still the same problem.
2015-6-11
Use props
info.blumcomput
lvl.1
United States

How about IOS? Is this issue only with Android or also IOS? I have an Iphone 6 and iPad Air2 available, both latest IOS version. Just curious
2015-6-11
Use props
tag666_demon
lvl.1

Canada

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-12 10:43
Thank you for your post.  Hopefully it will help some of our users.

If only peoples took care of reading the whole thread before complaining and blaming DJI !

First i noticed that increasing the Logger buffer sizes reduced the lag by like 70% but it was still there, so then I resetted to factory default and made sure to disable literally everything, from notifications, to updates and including all apps...
Lot of credit to Blade Strike, explaining that the old Dji App could leave some garbage after being removed or updated, that could cause those issues, and only resetting to factory could remove all traces...
And the rest is just memory/Cpu saving, mostly...
2015-6-11
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

Thanks... U done what I also did and talked about a few pages back...

Question... What your CPU usage during flight in the Zapper app?

Regs Chris
2015-6-11
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

info.blumcomput Posted at 2015-6-12 10:49
How about IOS? Is this issue only with Android or also IOS? I have an Iphone 6 and iPad Air2 avail ...

I have no issues with my iPad 2 mini.  Now based on my experience last summer, it will fail as well.  I flew in 105F+ temps and the iPad had thermal failures.  It had nothing  do do with the App but with the device itself.  It just shut down because of high temps.  I talked to Apple and they stated that the iPad was rated to 95F only.  While they replaced my iPad 2 mini they stated that it would occur again.  
2015-6-11
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.3

Australia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-12 09:21
It has nothing to do with GPS.  That has never been replicated by us.  it has to do with CPU usage ...

sorry mate don't agree... The testing and reports I've put up in this post show a different story with the GPS on or off. (See post #15)

Yes the CPU is been over loaded.. with 1.1.9... I see that... But this was not a problem in 1.1.8.

I too have cleaned out my tablet of everything to get it to run ok... as I have reported in this post also. (See post #230)

Sorry you don't feel our input to this forum is of any help...  But I'm trying to deliver the best info I can to see a fix here for all of us.

Thxs

Regs Chris
2015-6-11
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's interesting how each person thinks their one experience points to exactly what the problem is or isn't - the placebo effect at work!

Even though I and others had the problem in 1.1.8, some keep insisting that DJI "put in the problem" with 1.1.9
Or that the problem is due to GPS.

All evidence points to the problem being that the DJI Pilot App is doing so much that it needs a good part of the device power - which in Android is more difficult because of the bloatware and lack of standards. Sure, each part of the 100's of items (GPS, Lightbridge, Video Cache, etc.) being processed takes up some room.....but saying that ONE is the straw that broke the camels back is myopic. It's the sum total that stresses a device.

In the Release Notes for 1.1.9 was:
1. Fixed issue of some aircraft unable to determine their altitudes.

It very well could be that the Phantom is polling the GPS and Barometer and Compass more often or doing more calculations inside the device so that it's more accurate.

I trust the DJI - at this point - will determine what the best way to reduce some CPU use (if possible) is...
But part of the solution is for them to inform users that use of even the suggested Android devices involves some user education about how to dedicate most of the CPU cycles to the Pilot App (remove bloatware, turn on airplane mode, etc. etc.).
2015-6-11
Use props
ruprick
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-12 09:28
Guys you are all over the place.  There are some devices that are supported that are having problems ...

ugh. Yes developing for Android must be way more challenging than for Apple, but this doesn't stop developers from creating polished products that work across the many Android platforms. Problems will arise and we will try to be patient, but we don't want to hear excuses we want to hear acknowledgment  and addressing the problem. The FPV is nearly unusable right now on my Galaxy S5 & Nexus 7 2nd generation, both approved devices.
2015-6-11
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-12 11:22
It's interesting how each person thinks their one experience points to exactly what the problem is o ...

Nice post and yes we are working on it.  Thank you.
2015-6-11
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ruprick@gmail.c Posted at 2015-6-12 11:53
ugh. Yes developing for Android must be way more challenging than for Apple, but this doesn't stop ...

I agree but how many apps do what the Pilot does?  Not many in my opinion.  This is the most processor intensive App I have ever seen.  
2015-6-11
Use props
FLYMN
lvl.2

United States

Has anyone tried lowering the video feed bandwidth to 4 mbps from 6? I really do think that will help those with the problem. I switched to using the ipad 3 from a Note 4 and I was surprised to learn that it defaulted to 4 mbps while my Note 4 defaulted to 6 mbps. That 2 mbps difference may very well clear up a lot of issues with video lag. It should cut down on taxing the gpu and cpu.

AJ
2015-6-11
Use props
DVD Mansion
lvl.2
Canada

I followed all the steps you posted, it does NOT help my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 or my Samsung S5 I still experience the same lag as before, if it's any better it is a tad but still same crap as before more or less so cannot be flown out of sight. The fix is rather simple, none of this was or had to be done for 98% of us on this thread with firmware 1.1.8 so please allow us to install that firmware over the 1.1.9 is it that difficult for you guys (DJI) to override the latest firmware with an older one? It's been 3.5 weeks since most of us have been able to fly properly.

Btw, you have IOS problems too so don't tell me IOS is fixed and not happening there, I also have an iphone 6 (My wife's) and it STILL experiences lags with or without hardware encode on so don't tell me it is ONLY an Android problem because in Canada where I am the IOS if fucked up too!! So it is clearly the latest firmware you guys released!! SIMPLE FIX GIVE US BACK 1.1.8 and all problems solved!!
2015-6-11
Use props
ben_m16
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

Tahoe_ED believe me, if it is related to the GPS.

You can see many videos on youtube confirming this, and I myself have tried.

When you have no GPS coverage everything works smooth. When you have few satellites set (and the bars are red cover) live video begins to hop.

And when you have enough satellites and turn white and bars Up tells you that you have enough coverage to fly (8 satellites or more) there begins to many problems of delays and cuts.

Please investigate this line that probably this related to one of the improvements made in version 1.1.9, where he put the drone better now determines your altitude.

Do not waste your time researching the subject of heat, which is not relevant. Here in my town I've had 40 degree days and 25 days degree weather, and the result was the same.

With version 1.1.8 I had the same tablet with the same applications and the same temperature and did not have any problem.

Investigate the point that I have said before that there surely this problem.

If you only investigate the temperature, you can never fix the problem, because in the world there are many different temperatures at all times and you can not fix everything.

And please do not write to cleanse the ram, sign-off applications, etc., because that's the first thing we did almost everyone.
2015-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules