Phantom 3 Lag / Pause Android in FPV
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
romansu2
lvl.2
Latvia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-6 04:54
We have tried to replicate this issue on a Samsung S4 and a Note 4 and neither of them displayed the ...

your device is charged when connected to the remote controle?
2015-6-5
Use props
havasuphoto
lvl.1

Canada

Rortizurbina Posted at 2015-6-5 05:44
Did you used P-GPS on that flight?

Yes, and Attitude mode both.  More Attitude than P-GPS.  no problems
2015-6-5
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

romansu2 Posted at 2015-6-6 05:00
your device is charged when connected to the remote controle?

Yes, it was charged.
2015-6-5
Use props
romansu2
lvl.2
Latvia

my English not good.
your device take power from remote control when connected?
2015-6-5
Use props
cwilliams
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2327411 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cigarette Company:   "To all those who think your cancer is from smoking cigarettes we're sorry, but we cannot recreate the issue.  I just smoked a cigarette and I'm fine,  we asked a friend to smoke a cigarette and he's fine too."

2015-6-5
Use props
DVD Mansion
lvl.2
Canada

I have these 3 & all have the exact same issues Samsung Galaxy S 8.4, Samsung S5 and and my wife's iphone 6 and all 3 stutter and hang during FPV no matter how far I am from the Phantom
this is getting very frustrating to say the least what is DJI doing about it I have yet to read any responses from them damn.

If they think this is not a problem I suggest they read these threads & see how many of us there are, we need a new firmware and need it quick WTF?
2015-6-5
Use props
TiagoMatias
lvl.2

Portugal

What I just can't understand is why in their phones everything is normal... Jeez, the FPV video freezes and the mage jump frames to frames.. sometimes I can do a 360º yaw and the image barely move...
2015-6-5
Use props
odalaigh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 918182 ft
United States

Just tried it out on my iPhone 6 and no lag.. But my shield tablet is laggy bad. Anyone try downgrading? Is that even possible?
2015-6-5
Use props
ben_m16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5454557 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Tahoe_ED can be possible that you not have this problems because your phantom is a preproduction unit??

Can you test a normal production phantom 3 ??????
We are a lot of people with this problem, this problem is a real problem.

With 1.1.8 all fine, with 1.1.9 come the problem.......... then the problem is not Android, is the update, because my android is the same with 1.1.8 and with 1.1.9.
2015-6-5
Use props
alessio.pac
lvl.2
Italy

ben_m16 Posted at 2015-6-6 13:11
Tahoe_ED can be possible that you not have this problems because your phantom is a preproduction uni ...

Sorry to say this but It's a shame!
We are taking video showing you the problems, we are saying troubles started after firmwre upgrade. We are trying everything to get it work again, wasting our time. And you are saying your P3 have no problems!!! you don't trust us? You are talking about ''supported dvice list'' simply because you have still not tried other devices. Do you really think that a Note4 or a Galaxy s6 will be unsupported? Pleaseeeee!
Do you know how powerful they are? And the Nvidia Shield? It's a monster! BUT after firmware update we all can't fly anymore. Sorry, I'm really becoming angry
2015-6-5
Use props
cegio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 671257 ft
  • >>>
Spain

alessio.pac@gma Posted at 2015-6-6 14:31
Sorry to say this but It's a shame!
We are taking video showing you the problems, we are saying tr ...

you reply the wrong person....
2015-6-6
Use props
TiagoMatias
lvl.2

Portugal

I made another video in case someone doesn't believe it...

And another one...

2015-6-6
Use props
alessio.pac
lvl.2
Italy

TiagoMatias Posted at 2015-6-6 19:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wbNxLde ...

Well done, thank you very much for your videos. I'll make a video too, It's exactly what I get now! Do you confirm that 1.1.8 firmware was fine?
Thank you and don't give up.

please DJI fix it!
2015-6-6
Use props
TiagoMatias
lvl.2

Portugal

I can confirm it!
2015-6-6
Use props
FLYMN
lvl.2

United States

Finally! I tried to activate my account yesterday so I could report in, but never could get the confirmation to work. Today it worked!

I have been working on this issue and found that I was able to get rid of the majority of the latency on my Note 4 by doing the following:

1. In the release notes, it suggests that you may have to reconnect (bind) the radio to the P3. I followed the instructions on page 28 of the manual.

2. I formatted/erased the flight log.

3. I formatted my SD chip in the P3.

Frankly, I believe it was step 2 that helped immensely. I really did the first step since I was getting a bunch of disconnects.

I'm still not sure if this will help others, but I'd be curious to know if it helps anyone else.

AJ
2015-6-6
Use props
TiagoMatias
lvl.2

Portugal

How do you do that? Erase flight log?
2015-6-6
Use props
FLYMN
lvl.2

United States

TiagoMatias Posted at 2015-6-6 21:14
How do you do that? Erase flight log?

It's under MC Settings...Advance Settings...Format Data Recorder

2015-6-6
Use props
ben_m16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5454557 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I do this, and not fix the problem.......
2015-6-6
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

ben_m16 Posted at 2015-6-6 22:37
I do this, and not fix the problem.......

Do you have a program like Zapper or another which can show you CPU use and kill all the processes in Android that you do not want running?

I have a feeling that those logs and other Android memory and CPU issues have something to do with this. On my Android device I ran that Zapper and it showed 72% CPU use and 60% RAM use when no program was being used!

Since I use a cheapo moto-x (not supported) and don't have phone service on it, I am removing all the stuff I don't need (google services mostly).
Also, make sure to kill the DJI Pilot App process and anything else it opens (when you are finished).

The DJI Pilot App is probably the most complicated and resource intensive app around. Consider what it is doing - the high-res video display in addition to all the ins and outs to the Remote (telemetry) and the lows and GPS displaying, etc.

I think this is why DJI prefers IOS which tends to manage memory better for a single app. For those who want some better explanations:
http://www.quora.com/Why-does-th ... han-Android-devices
2015-6-6
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I was getting very laggy video before, but today I actually got a much better feed. I don't know if it's as good as what it's supposed to be, since mine arrived with 1.1.9, but it was an improvement over what I had in the past. Here's the significant changes:

- Set video feed mode to manual, pick a clear channel in your area, set quality to lowest
- Turn off video caching
- Clear video cache
- Kill all apps on Android (press square and swipe them all away)
- Turn on "airplane mode" in Android settings to turn off the phone's radios

Can anyone else confirm if this helps or not?

2015-6-6
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oliver Posted at 2015-6-7 00:06
I was getting very laggy video before, but today I actually got a much better feed. I don't know if  ...

It goes without saying that the majority of these are CPU and RAM being filled (mostly CPU), so you did all the right things!

I am going to try to get all the info in one place so folks have some idea of how to clean out their machines......
2015-6-6
Use props
Darkfito
lvl.2

Spain

The phone is not to blame, It is the new firmware 1.1.9.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (newly formatted) and it goes wrong the FVP .

2015-6-6
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Darkfito Posted at 2015-6-7 01:42
The phone is not to blame, It is the new firmware 1.1.9.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (newly for ...

Not black or white.
I have old firmware and had the problem. So do many others.

There can be 15 different scenarios which cause such problems.

It would be interesting to know if you have (or download) a CPU monitoring app..what it shows at the time you get the lag?

Do you have all the various settings changed or off as others have described? Turn off all those China mapping settings, turn off video cache, etc.?

I'm not saying 1.1.9 isn't responsible for yours or SOME lag problems, but for many many others who have the problems in all the firmware versions it can't be so!

When you think carefully about it, it would make sense that many users would have problems after a few weeks as their video caches and logs and other things clog up Android.

I'm going to try and make a list of all the settings.....they may differ by device (hardware decode on or off, etc.).
2015-6-6
Use props
Darkfito
lvl.2

Spain

1) Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (recommended),  working perfectly with firmware 1.1.8
2) A firmware 1.1.9 update
3) Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (recommended),  NO WORKING WITH 1.1.9
4) Formatting Note 3 and still does not work

Tell me that fails?
2015-6-6
Use props
cwilliams
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-7 01:54
Not black or white.
I have old firmware and had the problem. So do many others.

The problem I have with the "Turn off everything" scenario.  Is that we didn't have to do that before.

Think of it like getting an oil change on your car and now it doesn't run right,  and now people tell you the fix is to turn off the radio,  don't use the Air Conditioning,   Put the seat up,   make sure the tank is full...

No.. something happened and its not the phones..   Whatever the change was its affecting the device,  but not caused by the device.
2015-6-6
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

cwilliams@trico Posted at 2015-6-7 04:10
The problem I have with the "Turn off everything" scenario.  Is that we didn't have to do that bef ...

This would apply if you had 30,000 miles on your car - but remember that most of us have less than 20 flights (say 3/4 or more of us).

If anything relates to stuff "filling up" like the video cache, logs, etc. and/or to other stuff that people change (they may have background apps running more, etc.) then that changes the whole scenario.

Again - it can't be one thing (firmware) because many of us have the issue with older firmware. So that disproves any 1.1.9 (only) theory.

Now, it could be that 1.1.9 somehow makes the old stuff in our logs (phantom logs) or something else mess up more, etc.

You use an oil change as your example. I'll use the series on TV about cavemen. They illustrated where the idea of religion and priests came from. A bolt of lightning stuck a mother and daughter down....dead. Some other caveguy went over to them and lamented......and, lo and behold, the daughter woke up as if a miracle! So all the other cave folks start pointing and grunting and that dude becomes the head priest since he could bring back people from the dead.

This is the danger in absolutes. Yes, the daughter woke up when the caveman grunted. But he didn't make it happen.

Maybe 1.1.9 fixed 20 things and broke 4. It happens with every single software update. However, coming to conclusions about both why...and the fixes....doesn't help us much. There are perhaps 20 things we should each try (depending on device, etc.) and then see what happens.

DJI will probably address cache and other such issues in the next update - maybe leaving a lot of stuff off rather than on by default. It depends on what they find out from studying the problem...and they have a lot of info we don't.
I'm going to try mine today with 1.1.8 and all the junk turned off. Then I will update to 1.1.9 and fly tomorrow. I will report back with what happens. But seeing that 60+ percent CPU use when nothing (not Pilot or anything else) was running on my phone gives me a hint. I guess I'm used to troubleshooing web servers so this makes some sense....

2015-6-6
Use props
cegio
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-7 05:06
This would apply if you had 30,000 miles on your car - but remember that most of us have less than  ...

Hi , all the people that is talking here have the same problem after installing 1.1.9 firmware, at the moment you are the one here having this problem with 1.1.8 firmware. All of us had flown without problems with 1.1.8 firmware even with cache locally , and now with the same tablets or phones and 1.1.9 firmware it does not works fine?, we did not do anything with ours phones or tablets, we only update a firmware in the phantom. Why its works better when there is not gps coverage?  maybe they have increased the sensitivity of positioning system for a better satellites coverage and this affect to fpv signal?.
2015-6-6
Use props
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

P3P user here having same issues as many of the people here. I use both an iPad mini 2 and a iPhone 6 and they both have this issue. I live in a fairly hot climate (Vegas) so I figured it was just heat but I flew it indoors from only a few feet away and had the same issue. I also noticed so anomalies regarding the IMU and calibration when I first turned on the phantom that didn't occur before update 1.19. I believe there is something in 1.1.9 that is causing lag. Dji is it safe for me or even possible to downgrade to 1.1.8 to restore my clear fpv view. Thanks
2015-6-6
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

dorn.michael10@ Posted at 2015-6-7 07:13
P3P user here having same issues as many of the people here. I use both an iPad mini 2 and a iPhone  ...

IOS is a different issue for most.
It shouldn't happen with IOS.

You cannot downgrade firmware.

Note - it's well known that there are often problems when you are too close - so don't use that as a guide.

DJI knows about these reports and has forwarded it to engineering. Other than that, you can try some of the stuff mentioned if you have not already. You can reinstall the firmware (I think).
Clear the video cache on the DJI pilot app.
Turn off the video cache if you don't use or need it.
Make sure all those Chinese map settings are off.
Clear the flight logs on the app....

This is from another user.....(below).

Reset set camera settings on the P3 and format SD card.

Format Flight logs on the aircraft (very unlikely to make a difference)

Re Bind the handset to P3

Delete the App and reinstall via the DJI site

Factory reset device.

Make sure local video cache is off

If none of that help then all you can do is raise an support issue with DJI.
2015-6-6
Use props
cegio
lvl.3
  • >>>
Spain

but why we have to set local video cache off if it worked before update?  this is necessary for dji if you have an accident, you will need a video to show they the problem. If you lose your phantom in a flyaway, you will be need that too, because you do not have the phantom to get the video from the sd. So I do not want to set local video cache off. DJI must repair this problem with another firmware.

3 firmwares  in less 2 weeks and now after 2 weeks waiting there is no new firmware?
2015-6-6
Use props
cwilliams
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-7 05:06
This would apply if you had 30,000 miles on your car - but remember that most of us have less than  ...

What does milage have to do with it:?  My point was that everything worked fine,  a change was done, and now it does not work.  My point is that something happened outside of our control.  It is now present when it was not before.

Lets put it another way....  When DJI releases 1.2.0 with a little statement saying - "Fixes pause/lag issues on some android devices"  and all is better now.   Do we get to come back here and say see.  Rebooting the phone,  clearing cache,  deleting apps.  was not the issue.

Based on the scope of the problem and that many feel the issue was related to the upgrade,  its probably an upgrade that will fix it.   As I mentioned, I have a dedicated Nvidia Shield and a heavily used Galaxy S6 Edge both were perfect before the upgrade and both now fail after the upgrade.  Its not the phone or a boogeyman. We need to wait and see what DJI does to fix the issue.   My guess is that its wider spread than what's on this forum.

The last thing I want to do is argue amongst each other which solves nothing.

2015-6-6
Use props
FLYMN
lvl.2

United States

cwilliams@trico Posted at 2015-6-7 09:27
What does milage have to do with it:?  My point was that everything worked fine,  a change was don ...

For what it's worth.

This afternoon I flew with zero problems with my Note 4 with 1.1.9.

I flew with my Note 4 freshly booted and in airplane mode. I also turned off video cache and formatted the flight log prior to flight.

Yes, it sucks that I had to go through all these steps but it was refreshing to fly as if I had 1.1.8 firmware.

My guess is that the Android ap is right on the edge of using max cpu cycles. Whatever was changed in the firmware from 1.1.8 to 1.1.9 was enough to cause issues.

Although making these changes are painful, I'm happy I'm able to enjoy flying again.

AJ
2015-6-6
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

cwilliams@trico Posted at 2015-6-7 09:27
What does milage have to do with it:?  My point was that everything worked fine,  a change was don ...

You are right.
Debate solves nothing.

This is precisely why we have to take steps to locate the problem and solve it.

DJI knows about it. That's all we can do on that end. Now we have to look at our ends of the equation and check to see that may be happening.

My comment about 30,000 miles is that stuff happens over time. It may build up a 100 MB of video cache in the first 5 flight but then have a gig or more by the 15th flight.

I checked carefully tonight and found that the DJI Pilot App along uses over 70% of my CPU - and that's when I am not doing anything very active! My guess is that it uses 70-80% of my (admittedly weak) device.

This means if I have other background processes running in Android I am likely to hit the limits of my machine. As it is, my device has a low res screen and my video is set on the minimum (4mbs) in the lightbridge.

I'm sure DJI will fiddle with CPU and memory management...which seems to be at the root of the problem(s) for many of us. There are already many reports of pilots cleaning things up and then they work correctly.

We'll never be able to answer questions such as "why did it work before?" because we don't have access to enough information nor is it worthwhile to get it.

I'm going to update to 1.1.9 and see if I notice any difference. I don't claim to have silky smooth FPV - never had it and never expected it on my device. What I had before cleaning out my device was some delays of 3+ seconds.

And, again, I don't have 1.1.9 - so it can't just be related to that. It may have gotten worse with 1.1.9 - I suppose time (and maybe DJI) will tell.
2015-6-6
Use props
Rortizurbina
lvl.1

Spain

dorn.michael10@ Posted at 2015-6-7 07:13
P3P user here having same issues as many of the people here. I use both an iPad mini 2 and a iPhone  ...

While android users on this forum will tell you that this issue it is just happening in Android, as you have discovered it also happens in IOs.

I had the same problems in my Ipad Air until I found this solution. It works for me and my FPV is very good now. Before it FPV was useless, extremely laggy.
I copy past here what I posted before.

I have flown today and tested with HARDWARE ENCODE ON and the problem seems to be fixed.  I also selected the HD Transmission  channel manually instead using Auto.
With this the FPV image was correct and very nice. Until now with Hardware encode OFF and channel selection in auto, it was extremely laggy and useless.
If you use hardware encode ON remeber to place your IOs device with App Background Refresh OFF.

I am very happy now!! I can fly my Phantom and see through its camera.
Those of you with laggy FPV image, I suggest you try this ;) It may work

Maybe this can help you as well.
2015-6-7
Use props
Louis Eng
lvl.2

South Africa

TiagoMatias Posted at 2015-6-6 19:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wbNxLde ...

Well Tiago at least you have a very good looking companion to smooth the pain, while we await a selution...
2015-6-7
Use props
seadog1967
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59265 ft
United States

My Tab S started freezing the image and lagging bad after the firmware upgrade.  All other apps turned off.  I deleted  the DJI Pilot program and downloaded and reinstalled. Problems went away and all controls back to normal.  Slight lag as when I first got it but not like after firmware update.  Try it. Might help.
2015-6-7
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lots of reports elsewhere about fixing it by removing bloatware and having proper settings.

I upgraded to 1.1.9 and will see if anything changes today....

So far, the guesswork is simply that 1.1.9 uses more CPU cycles on the smart device, meaning that if before your unit was almost maxed out, now it could definitely be. Whether or not DJI will lower the CPU use in the next firmware is not known. Maybe they should have a "power saving" mode which adjusts a number of settings to lighten CPU use? I'd rather see 15 frames per second of lower res FPV than 30fps with a lag, etc.

If it's true 1.1.9 uses more CPU I will be sunk, as mine was using 80% or more yesterday with 1.1.8
2015-6-7
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

As was stated before this has bee reported to DJI for review.  I do think that the new firmware may be taxing the CPU to the max.  My android device is a Samsung S4 and Blade has a Note 4.  My S4 is my work cell phone and has no applications other than those required for my job.  Blade's Note 4 is also a dedicated unit for Inspire and P3 only.  We have not been able to replicate however, that does not mean that we don't believe that it its happening to you.  We had one user that had over 300 Apps on his phone and refused to do anything to see if he could get it working on v1.1.9.  If that is the case we cannot help.  If indeed DJI optimized the App and firmware to enhance video performance on Android devices and that in turn resulted in the CPU reaching the end of available CPU cycles on some devices, then some people will be happy and others disappointed.  I will let you know when I receive a response back from DJI it is still their weekend.
2015-6-7
Use props
cwhobbies
lvl.3

United States

I had the same thing happen to me using my samsung tab s 8.4, and note 4, bogs way down, screen freezes, unusable!
I switched to my nexus 7, and its worked fine, i've flown 3 times, no issues, Weird
2015-6-7
Use props
petter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 663179 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

1x Galaxy S, 1x Cube U65GT
- Reset to manufacturer settings
- erased or killed unnecessary apps

Still lags after  7-12min flight
2015-6-7