Rattling props shims
3288 27 2018-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Although anoying issue of notoriously loose and rattling Inspire 2 propellers seems to be finally eradicated by DJI, some older production runs may still circulate somewhere in far corners of the world. There's a few home-cooked ways to fix the problem, explained by YouTube publications. In search for more reliable solution I've fabricated really small batch of CNC machined .005" steel shims, which I may mail at no charge while quantities last. E-mail me if that's the case ... dobmatt@gmail.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: As for today (Oct 1/2018) I've mailed 25 sets worldwide and I'm out of these. I'm sorry, but that's it, friends.
Inspire 2_universal prop shims mod.jpg
2018-9-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I noticed when I recently ordered a new set of 1345T props the inside of the connection has foam placed into the prop and it is incredibly tight when attached to the motor.
2018-9-28
Use props
Flo the Pirate
lvl.4
Austria

that´s so nice of you making more than you need and giving them away for free !!!
2018-9-28
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-9-28 03:16
I noticed when I recently ordered a new set of 1345T props the inside of the connection has foam placed into the prop and it is incredibly tight when attached to the motor.

Actually foam inserts does nothing more than camouflaging the issue of rattling propellers. I suggest to remove them and check the play after. One should be able to install and remove the props with one hand. Propellers must be held down tight against the base by locking bayonet, not by the foam insert. You can test the locking sufficiency of a given assembly without even installing the hub on motor shell.
2018-9-28
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

Flo the Pirate Posted at 2018-9-28 06:03
that´s so nice of you making more than you need and giving them away for free !!!

Thank you. At late stage of life some humanoids are becoming more givers than takers ...
2018-9-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-28 10:14
Actually foam inserts does nothing more than camouflaging the issue of rattling propellers. I suggest to remove them and check the play after. One should bee able to install and remove the props with one hand. Propellers must be held down tight against the base by rotating bayonet, not by the foam insert.

TBH I have reverted back to the previous one as easier to install and no issues using them. I think the form inserts stemmed from the issues with the Inspire 2 from what I've seen.
2018-9-28
Use props
Caspers driver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4540515 ft

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-28 10:18
Thank you. At late stage of life some humanoids are becoming more givers than takers  ...

And that’s what makes the world a better place to live. People like Matthew   !

Thanks again for the shims for the Inspire 1 series.
2018-9-28
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

Caspers driver Posted at 2018-9-28 12:59
And that’s what makes the world a better place to live. People like Matthew   !

Thanks again for the shims for the Inspire 1 series.

Thank you for this flattering comment, but - more importantly - does my solution works for you?
2018-9-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew

Thank you for the shims and your time to make these available. I look forward to trying your solution and let you know how it works.

Guys like you in the world certainly make it a better place to live!  I owe you big time.

Rich
2018-9-28
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-9-28 15:35
Matthew

Thank you for the shims and your time to make these available. I look forward to trying your solution and let you know how it works.

Don't mention, Rich. Pleasure is mine.

Matthew.
2018-9-28
Use props
Caspers driver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4540515 ft

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-28 15:24
Thank you for this flattering comment, but - more importantly - does my solution works for you?

Waiting on mounting plates from dji for the pro. (It came with old mounting plates) Oh’ and the proper 243 blue stuff.
I don’t have proper calipers, but seemed too thick for the V2 when compared against shims I made.

I’m hoping that if the new plates for pro needs them that they will be proper thickness as I like them better than mine.
Soon.
2018-9-28
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

Caspers driver Posted at 2018-9-28 18:52
Waiting on mounting plates from dji for the pro. (It came with old mounting plates) Oh’ and the proper 243 blue stuff.
I don’t have proper calipers, but seemed too thick for the V2 when compared against shims I made.

All right than, waiting patiently for your review ...
2018-9-28
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>

Mathew it’s awesome for you to provide this for all... I patiently wait for my set thanks again!
2018-9-30
Use props
marktottymy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91860 ft

Wow, what an amazing gift ! I see they are all gone, but would you by any chance have a template diagram so I could try to hand-cut some out of plastic ?
2018-10-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

marktottymy Posted at 2018-10-24 10:00
Wow, what an amazing gift ! I see they are all gone, but would you by any chance have a template diagram so I could try to hand-cut some out of plastic ?

Diagram is not the issue, but cutting such profile by hand is a mission next to impossible. Trust me. You'll be much better with crazy glue method.
2018-10-24
Use props
epicjib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3016060 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks Matthew!  They fit perfectly  with zero play  on the mounts now and I will be testing testing them tomorrow..
Cheers!
2018-10-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

epicjib Posted at 2018-10-24 14:03
Thanks Matthew!  They fit perfectly  with zero play  on the mounts now and I will be testing testing them tomorrow..
Cheers!

All right than, happy flying ...
2018-10-24
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-9-28 03:16

Yes they have done this for a while now. The foam will keep getting compressed everytime you put it on. Eventually the foam will be so flat that the rattling returns, so that you can go buy another set of props a couple weeks later.
And then again.
And again.
And again.

These days the inspire 2 is lovingly referred to as the rattlecopter.
It sort of save to fly, just make sure you buy lots of after-market inofficial fixes to to make sure your motor mounts down fall off the arms to which they are sort of glued to.
2018-10-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JBSonic Posted at 2018-10-25 01:03
Yes they have done this for a while now. The foam will keep getting compressed everytime you put it on. Eventually the foam will be so flat that the rattling returns, so that you can go buy another set of props a couple weeks later.
And then again.
And again.

Rattlecopter - love it
I still use the original ones that came with my I1V2 - no issues at yet after more than 70 flight and 300+ miles - fingers crossed!
2018-10-25
Use props
JBSonic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-10-25 01:41
Rattlecopter - love it
I still use the original ones that came with my I1V2 - no issues at yet after more than 70 flight and 300+ miles - fingers crossed!

Ok but 70 flights aint that much. Do 300 flights and see then.
Also, the problem is not that it takes off and disintegrates.

Try this:
launch the I2, let it hover in front of you, now safely get closer to it and pay very close attention to it.
You will notice that it is vibrating quite strongly.
If you have other drones like Phantom/Mavic Pro etc, you may notice that they do not do that.

This high frequency vibration over time (cold weather makes it worse) weakens the glue attaching the motors to the fake carbon arms. They are just plastic tubes with carbon stuff on top.
You can imagine what happens when one of those motors comes off. You might be lucky to spot this before you take-off (check arms and motor attachments thoroughly before each flight) but if you aren't lucky it will come off mid-flight as it has for others.
some users made a business out of selling metal support addons to stop the motors detaching mid-flight, THAT's how common this issue is.

Why has this not been addressed you ask?
Simple. DJI figured that there is a very very low chance of this happening BEFORE the end of your 1-2 year Warranty period when in normal use. You probably have to do hundreds of flights before this becomes an issue.
So enjoy it while it lasts
2018-10-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JBSonic Posted at 2018-10-25 10:36

I've got the I1 (not I2) seems fine at the moment - perhaps this is an I2 problem - seen many issues with that drone on line.
2018-10-25
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

JBSonic Posted at 2018-10-25 10:36

JBSonic, with all do respect to your opinion ... It's a classic conspiracy theory, speculations and myths based on a literally 2 or 3 cases of fatal motor disengagement mid-flight, reported anywhere. Your assumptions about the arm tube as not a full body carbon fibre are purely false. Epoxy glueing method is widely employed in aviation and aerospace industry, yet the DJI's quality control is far less rigorous than NASA's. That's why Inspire 2 aircrafts is so affordable.

That said, some minor quality/design flaws are to be expected. These imperfections can be eliminated, hence the shims I've developed. Every aircraft must be carefully maintained, every issue addressed before flight. That's why we have pilots to report the issues and mechanics to fix them. That's the core structure of this business.
Now, as for your Inspire "vibrating strongly". None of my 5 drones is exhibiting excessive vibrations during hover. It's is possible, however, with particular, badly unbalanced set of propellers. I'll recommend experiments with another set in different configurations. None of the above I'll consider a common issue.
2018-10-25
Use props
epicjib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3016060 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Tested Mathew's shims today and they do exactly what they are designed for.  I ran through 7 batteries and the props on the mounts are solid and there is less noise as they are not flopping around like they did before. The red and white props had play on my new i2 but not anymore. Thank you so much, beats my tape solution hands down.
2018-10-25
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

epicjib Posted at 2018-10-25 15:07
Tested Mathew's shims today and they do exactly what they are designed for.  I ran through 7 batteries and the props on the mounts are solid and there is less noise as they are not flopping around like they did before. The red and white props had play on my new i2 but not anymore. Thank you so much, beats my tape solution hands down.

Good to know, a pleasure is mine. BTW, both red and white props of my new Inspire 2 are snug and tight without them. I've developed these as a version of shims for Inspire 1 prop mounts. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get from DJI. Go figure ...
2018-10-25
Use props
Elettrone78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2840512 ft
  • >>>
Italy

correct me if i'm wrong, .005" stands for 0.127mm in decimal format?
2018-10-27
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Elettrone78 Posted at 2018-10-27 00:45
correct me if i'm wrong, .005" stands for 0.127mm in decimal format?

No. Both numbers are in decimal format. However, .005" is stated in imperial system of measurements, which is equivalent to 0.127 mm in metric system.
2018-10-27
Use props
ElectricLife Atellani
Captain
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

hello everyone, they are available now.

NEW ULTIMADRONE ACCESSORY RELEASED: STOCK PROPELLER FIX.

We just launched a NEW Ultimadrone accessory for the Inspire 2 DJI Drone.
It’s the patent pending Propeller Insert for Stock DJI props and it cures, without altering any existing original hardware, or by adding glue, or
having to use 3rd party and often unreliable propellers, the well known vibration problem that occurs after a few flights.

The main and many benefits are:

- Finally being able to use DJI's stock propellers for an extended amount of flights (We’ve been testing them for over 30 flights on the same sets of props without a glitch)
- Absence of unwanted vibrations
- Overall added stability
- Added reliability of the Inspire 2 parts as a consequence of the absence of vibrations.

The new kits can be ordered at:
https://www.atellani.com/shop-ultimadrone/inspire2-propellers-fix.html
We have a limited batch ready to ship now.

They come with a set of 4 shims / inserts + an extra set of 2 shims with different thickness, in case you have propellers that are even more worn.
Mounting requires no specific tool or special accessory and it takes less than 5 minutes.
Your Inspire will tthen be ready to fly using the standard propellers, which we believe is always the best choice.

Quantities of the very first production run are very limited.
Buy them now at:
https://www.atellani.com/shop-ultimadrone/inspire2-propellers-fix.html
smallNewsletter.jpg
2019-1-2
Use props
ElectricLife Atellani
Captain
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Propeller Shims and Ultimadrone safety kits are back in stock again. The Shims have a new, slightly modified design that improves the original a tiny bit.
We also have a new page and re-designed site:
https://atellani.com/collections/ultimadrone
2019-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules