Battery 3 cell failure caused my Mavic to power off in flight!
1773 10 2018-9-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marklyn59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

Ok, so I was coming back from a flight, and when I was about 500' from landing point I started noticicing an error concerning battery cell 3.  I was in sport mode coming back since I was low on battery but I knew I had enough to make it back.  As I was landing, maybe 1' from the ground the Mavic just shut off and it dropped. Fortunately this was soft grass so there was zero damage.When I took the battery out, it was swollen like a full tick on the bottom.  This is an original battery that came with my combo pack purchase in July 2017 and has only been charged with DJI charging equipment and I've never seen an issue like this before.  Build date on it is May 2017.

Would be appreciative if anyone could tell me if you've had a battery go bad like this and very quickly.  If I had been 30 seconds out the Mavic would have been 180' in the air and I would be looking at a replacement now.  I've never seen a battery issue before but is there a way to easily check this?
I'm very interested in going from what I think is a good battery to one that could have suddenly cost me my Mavic.  What is the warranty on these batteries anyway?

Any insight into the logs would be appreciated (and why the Mavic just turned off suddenly).

DJI Flight log viewer - Phantomhelp

Airdata flight

2018-9-28
Use props
overkillphil
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80226 ft
United States

so ! you've joined the fat-battery club, we should make up Tee shirts "Fat-Batt"  I bought my mavic about the same time, two of my three batteries have done the same thing, I tool photo's and attached the S/N and sent it off to DJI, not expecting to heard anything from them.   good luck..
2018-9-28
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

overkillphil Posted at 2018-9-28 13:32
so ! you've joined the fat-battery club, we should make up Tee shirts "Fat-Batt"  I bought my mavic about the same time, two of my three batteries have done the same thing, I tool photo's and attached the S/N and sent it off to DJI, not expecting to heard anything from them.   good luck..

Really? This is a "thing"?
Hrm.  It scares the bajeezers out of me to think that one of my two remaining batteries might start crapping out when I'm 1 mile away trying desperately to fly back.

DJI, do you have any insight on this? Are batteries covered or am I buying a new set of batteries?  Your input would be appreciated.
2018-9-28
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Sorry to hear about your battery problem.
I believe DJI Battery Warranty: 6 months or 200 Charging Cycles

There is no single cause for a swollen battery. Some are due to manufacturing defects, others are caused by the age of the battery, and still other cases can be caused by misuse, such as not properly exercising the battery over time, or by using the wrong power charger.
In general, a swollen battery occurs when the battery’s cells are overcharged, as these batteries “react unfavorably to overcharging,”
It is possible your charger is now over charging slightly. If not, the only thing I would think of would be a defective battery since a good battery should last at least 2 years and handle around 200 charges.
2018-9-28
Use props
overkillphil
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80226 ft
United States

marklyn59 Posted at 2018-9-28 13:47
Really? This is a "thing"?
Hrm.  It scares the bajeezers out of me to think that one of my two remaining batteries might start crapping out when I'm 1 mile away trying desperately to fly back.

I know as much as you do, I just checked on my case number and no info. I don't know if they have any intention on a rebate or replacement of the bad batteries,   as these batteries are getting older there are more and more of them failing,  the two batts that are swollen are in a metal can with cover in my garage, I DO NOT want them in the house,  don't need a battery explosion 2X...  I know you shouldn't charge them or use them. there is a form you can fill out to file a case with DJI about them include the S/N, I took photo's on mine and included them with my repair request,  I'm not expecting to hear anything back from them,   and from what I'm reading you can NOT send them back.... they don't want you shipping them...
2018-9-28
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

My battery is slightly over a year old and 50 charge cycles from a DJI charger so I'm playing by the rules.
I'm guessing there is nothing DJI will do for this but I'll probably open a ticket just for fun and watch for battery sales.
I'm still hoping there is some what I can tell if the other two batteries might be on the verge of failing.
I sure don't want to lose a Mavic over this.
2018-9-28
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had. Please click the link below for more of information about warranty period of the batteries. Thank you.

WARRANTY PERIOD OF MAIN PARTS
2018-9-29
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-9-29 07:27
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had. Please click the link below for more of information about warranty period of the batteries. Thank you.

WARRANTY PERIOD OF MAIN PARTS

I read and re-read this but I'm not clear... should I start a ticket for the battery or not? The drone was undamaged since it was 1' off the ground but the battery is bad.
2018-9-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

marklyn59 Posted at 2018-9-29 08:36
I read and re-read this but I'm not clear... should I start a ticket for the battery or not? The drone was undamaged since it was 1' off the ground but the battery is bad.

Hi marklyn, I believe you did mention that you purchased the aircraft last July 2017, with that being said batteries are already out of warranty. Thank you
2018-9-29
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the reply.
2018-9-29
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4