Flying in wind
1482 10 2015-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rschiehl
lvl.1
United States

I have a P2 and P3 and usually fly only in very calm conditions.  I have not flown in anything more than 5 mph at ground level, but would like input on your experience with control in flying in higher wind conditions.  I understand the correlation to winds at higher altitudes and have links to the various forceast sites.  Thank You in advance.
2015-5-31
Use props
1337brian
lvl.2

United States

I've flown in windy conditions up to 20 mph and had no issues aside from draining the battery faster especially when going directly into the wind.
2015-5-31
Use props
harderna
lvl.1

United States

I flew with 20mph winds and hit 57mph
2015-5-31
Use props
Brandon00151
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119137 ft
United States

I've flown (hovering) up to high altitudes (around 500 feet)) before with winds up to 10mph (at ground level) and the gimbal stood perfectly still, and the aircraft seemed to stay in place (though its hard to tell at that height). Even the DJI site suggests not to fly over 22mph so 10 or 15 should be fine.
2015-5-31
Use props
kalin2011
lvl.2

Canada

I flew today in winds gusting to 50kms/hr.  Battery significantly reduced but good quality video.  You can tell when a gust hits when the craft shudders.  Also caught in a shower.  No obvious damage.
2015-5-31
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

The P3 performs very well in winds up to about 15 mph although you will deplete battery faster flying into wind.  The P3 may not be able to hold position in GPS mode in winds greater than 15-20 mph.   One thing I have noticed if the P3 is hovering and facing into a strong wind, if you push the right stick up (pitch forward) just a little, the P3 may start moving backward. This surprised me. With a strong head wind, I discovered that you need to be a liitle more aggressive in applying forward stick when starting from a stationary hover to prevent the P3 from drifting backwards with the wind.
2015-5-31
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd say, in general, forecast winds of 12 MPH are OK to fly in.  That means gusts up to 15+ at ground level and perhaps up to 18-20 at altitude. I'm careful even in those conditions.

It always depends on the shot(s) you want. A easy up and down and flying real close to you is different than going out 1000 meters and up 150.

It all depends on the level of risk you want to take. I generally stay grounded if the trees are swaying. I'm a recreational sailor so have a fairly good grasp on what the actual wind speed it. At 10MPH things feel refreshing but at 15+ you (even walking) have to work harder.

Don't forget that the power of the wind is equal to the wind speed cubed.
This means a 13MPH wind has double the force (power, energy) of a 10MPH wind.
A 20MPH wind has 8X the power of the 10MPH wind.

Don't tempt fate if you want to be a long term owner of a quad.
2015-5-31
Use props
murigius2012
lvl.1

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-1 11:04
I'd say, in general, forecast winds of 12 MPH are OK to fly in.  That means gusts up to 15+ at groun ...

Thanks for the useful info!
2015-5-31
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

P3 holds its own in up to 26 mph winds, I tried this weekend, just travels at 4 meters a sec into the wind and 33 meters a sec going with the wind.. Lol. And battery dies about 5 min sooner..  My F550 was able to hold 12 meters a sec going into the wind with e300 motor system and 9450 props, weighing almost 7 lbs too she does better than my p3 but had 6 motors so it should.. The h3-3D Gimble on my F550 couldn't handle the wind though.. It kept dropping my go pro and picking it up.. The wind force kept it going in and out of hibernation mode..  Real annoying...
2015-5-31
Use props
alienranch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 142579 ft
United States

No problems in 20+ mph winds
2015-6-1
Use props
rschiehl
lvl.1
United States

Thank you all for the input.  I will work into it and now have a lot more fly days available.
2015-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules