"Strong aircraft interference"
15601 30 2018-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
larryc43230
Second Officer
Flight distance : 664534 ft

What exactly does this error message tell me? Interference from what?

I rarely saw this error message on my remote (the DJI GO 4 display) before I applied the latest updates to the remote control (01.00.0200) and the drone (1.00.0500). In two test flights after the updates, I saw that message several times. The message didn't appear until the drone was "at altitude" (100 feet up or more), and I'm not sure what sort of interference it refers to. The flights took place outside my condo, where I've flown the drone a few dozen times in the past without seeing this message.

Is this magnetic interference from some outside source? If so, I can't imagine where the interference could be coming from. The drone was at least 100 feet in the air and not near any object, even a tree.

The error message didn't seem to affect the drone, it's just disconcerting when it appears. What, if anything, can I do about it?

Larry
2018-9-30
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I also get this message on the odd ocation when I have my watch on and fly.Take the watch out and never ever get it again
2018-9-30
Use props
larryc43230
Second Officer

Suren Posted at 2018-9-30 19:44
I also get this message on the odd ocation when I have my watch on and fly.Take the watch out and never ever get it again

The message isn't displayed when I'm anywhere near the drone, it doesn't appear when I'm launching or landing it. The message shows up when the drone is a couple of hundred feet up and a thousand feet away. I'm reasonably sure it has nothing to do with what I'm wearing.

Besides, I almost never wear a watch.  

Larry
2018-10-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It generally means that the drone has picked up ferromagnetic and/or electromagnetic interference in the environment. The compass on the MA is very sensitive.
2018-10-1
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Is your drone facing the sun when this happens? Sometimes that causes interference.
2018-10-1
Use props
larryc43230
Second Officer

rolling56 Posted at 2018-10-1 04:55
Is your drone facing the sun when this happens? Sometimes that causes interference.

I have no idea, that was one parameter I wasn't keeping track of.

How would the drone facing the sun cause "strong aircraft interference", anyway?

I'm hoping someone can give me an explanation for the error message, including how to avoid it and whether I need to take it seriously. In one of the two cases I've experienced so far, the warning included dire wording about needing to land the drone at once. That's pretty disconcerting.

Is this magnetic interference? The drone was far up in the air and nowhere near anything else, even trees.

Is it electrical interference? See above; the drone wasn't anywhere near electrical lines, utility poles, or cell towers.

Is it something else? If so, what?

I'm really beginning to wonder whether this might be a new bug introduced by the latest/greatest firmware update....

Larry

2018-10-1
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

Larry ,

I also got this message with the new update. My first time was before I took off because where mine was setting there was rebar under the ground. So I understood that and moved it away before flight. The second time was just as you said I was flying above 100 feet and nothing around or near my Mavic. I have flown in this area many times before without any interference at all. I've never gotten this message before this new update. Mine goes away quickly and I have continued to fly without any other problems. Now I'm not telling you to just ignore these messages as I am doing. This has worked for me so far but would not want anything to happen to your drone. I wonder if it's possible that the sensitivity it turned up to much on this update and it's picking these things up better now. I to would like to know what is going on.

Jess
2018-10-1
Use props
Harvey Paran
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347707 ft
Philippines

Come to think of it.
My Motorbike is always near me when I take off.
Could that be one issue?

Harvey.
2018-10-1
Use props
larryc43230
Second Officer

Burmman Posted at 2018-10-1 05:54
Larry ,

I also got this message with the new update. My first time was before I took off because where mine was setting there was rebar under the ground. So I understood that and moved it away before flight. The second time was just as you said I was flying above 100 feet and nothing around or near my Mavic. I have flown in this area many times before without any interference at all. I've never gotten this message before this new update. Mine goes away quickly and I have continued to fly without any other problems. Now I'm not telling you to just ignore these messages as I am doing. This has worked for me so far but would not want anything to happen to your drone. I wonder if it's possible that the sensitivity it turned up to much on this update and it's picking these things up better now. I to would like to know what is going on.

Thanks for your comments, Burmman. The "aircraft interference" message and the scarier "strong aircraft interference" message aren't displayed for more than a few seconds, but a warning is a warning and I'd like to know what is safe to ignore and what isn't.

Larry
2018-10-1
Use props
larryc43230
Second Officer

Harvey Paran Posted at 2018-10-1 05:57
Come to think of it.
My Motorbike is always near me when I take off.
Could that be one issue?

That sounds like something that could trigger that message when you're launching the drone (assuming that "aircraft interference" means something electrical or magnetic; nobody has really defined that yet). On the other hand, it's not related to my case. I never see the message when I first launch the drone or when I land it. I see the message when the drone is far up in the air (more than a hundred feet) and far away from any structure, even trees.

Larry
2018-10-1
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

My understand is aircraft pick up other WiFi signal and may affect the video and control signal with controller.
2018-10-1
Use props
larryc43230
Second Officer

GDL Posted at 2018-10-1 06:59
My understand is aircraft pick up other WiFi signal and may affect the video and control signal with controller.

Well, there are certainly no other drones, of any sort, in my area. At least I've never seen any. Pretty much everybody in this condo development has home WiFi, but the drone was hundreds of feet away from any home when it displayed the "strong aircraft interference" messages.

And I never, in dozens of previous flights in this exact same area, saw that error message before I did the firmware upgrade a couple of days ago.

It's quite a coincidence that I never saw that error message before the latest firmware update, and now I see it pretty much every time I fly.

Larry
2018-10-1
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

larryc43230 Posted at 2018-10-1 05:35
I have no idea, that was one parameter I wasn't keeping track of.

How would the drone facing the sun cause "strong aircraft interference", anyway?

I have had the sun stop my Mavic Pro dead in its tracks a few times and had to fly backwards back to where i was and others have as well. It has been a year or so ago since it happened last. I was just throwing that scenario out there is all. I don't recall what firmware is was on so that might have got fixed no idea?
2018-10-1
Use props
larryc43230
Second Officer

rolling56 Posted at 2018-10-1 10:09
I have had the sun stop my Mavic Pro dead in its tracks a few times and had to fly backwards back to where i was and others have as well. It has been a year or so ago since it happened last. I was just throwing that scenario out there is all. I don't recall where firmware is was on so that might have got fixed no idea?

I conducted another test flight today, and received the "Strong aircraft interference" warning again (along with, later, a complete signal loss that's the subject of another thread and probably unrelated). This time, I made it a point to fly with the drone pointed directly away from the sun. The drone's direction in relation to the sun doesn't seem to be a factor. But thanks for the suggestion!

Larry
2018-10-1
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

larryc43230 Posted at 2018-10-1 10:14
I conducted another test flight today, and received the "Strong aircraft interference" warning again (along with, later, a complete signal loss that's the subject of another thread and probably unrelated). This time, I made it a point to fly with the drone pointed directly away from the sun. The drone's direction in relation to the sun doesn't seem to be a factor. But thanks for the suggestion!

Larry

ok was just a thought
2018-10-1
Use props
Klaus W.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 118366 ft

I happened to have this interference a couple of days ago on the top of a mountain:
a) before the latest update
b) no other wifi
c) facing the afternoon sun w/ obstacle avoidance enabled
Hence my assumption is, the sun shining into the front facing sensors led those to behave unexpectedly
2018-10-1
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

FWIW, I get this message quite often.

I always assumed that it has to do with the drone picking stray audio or radar transmissions on aviation frequencies.

But that's purely a guess.

2018-10-1
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

I also see this message in country side without WiFi around. I will careful when see this message and keep aircraft close to prevent signal lost. It may just because the RC or aircraft receiving signal badly.
2018-10-1
Use props
Harvey Paran
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347707 ft
Philippines

Larry,

I just got back from flying my drone.
I was in a field, no trees or powerlines whatsoever in the area.
I was getting the "STRONG INTERFERENCE" something error.

No other drones were near me, or signal tower of any sort.
Any ideas on this?

DJI? Please help us out, it's really annoying to fly and this error keeps popping up with no valid reason.
Nothing in my area is causing the said "STRONG INTERFERENCE".

Harvey.
2018-10-2
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

me and larry seem to be sufering similar issues.  

i gotten this message on the new update too  yesterday flying in a low interference areas and high interference areas.. not completely void of potential signals but mostly..  and i alsi am suffering signal loss issues too on new update.. i am going to test .400/.100 update later today and .500/.200 update again as well as long as the weather holds, supposed to get rain and storms..
2018-10-2
Use props
fansbd0f5495
New
United States

don't ignore the warning "strong interference " flew my air from the beach and out to the open sea, i ignored the warning video feed started pausing then at 553 meters signal cut off totally  lost communication i thought i had lost my drone luckily it did a RTH, this is a risk i cant afford to take again,
2019-2-11
Use props
djiuser_L6TccQb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8530 ft
United States

I was flying at the beach when all of a sudden the drone started flying backwards at about 10 MPH on its own.  It stopped a few feet away from a cliff before I could try an RTH. It finally took the RTH command and started coming home. During the RTH it had the severe interference warning twice, lost forward and backward sensors twice and started flying backwards again. I finally got back manual control and brought it home.  It was weird and it hasn't happened since. I wonder if it had something to do with the cliff.
2019-12-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

larryc43230 Posted at 2018-10-1 07:16
Well, there are certainly no other drones, of any sort, in my area. At least I've never seen any. Pretty much everybody in this condo development has home WiFi, but the drone was hundreds of feet away from any home when it displayed the "strong aircraft interference" messages.

And I never, in dozens of previous flights in this exact same area, saw that error message before I did the firmware upgrade a couple of days ago.

"Well, there are certainly no other drones, of any sort, in my area. At least I've never seen any. Pretty much everybody in this condo development has home WiFi, but the drone was hundreds of feet away from any home when it displayed the "strong aircraft interference" messages."

The 'Strong Interference' message has nothing to do with magnetic interference, or power lines. The frequency band our aircraft operate on is a world-wide unregulated band populated by millions of low-power devices, and WiFi is one of the major culprits.

As you say, 'the drone was hundreds of feet away from any home when it displayed the "strong aircraft interference" messages.' Yes, but the aircraft would have been receiving the signal from your RC unit as well as the WiFi signals from many homes at equal distance as from you. As such, it cannot tell which signal is the correct one. The best solution in this situation is to get yourself closer to the aircraft, such that your RC unit's signal is stronger than any nearby WiFi node.

2019-12-27
Use props
larryc43230
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2019-12-27 13:55
"Well, there are certainly no other drones, of any sort, in my area. At least I've never seen any. Pretty much everybody in this condo development has home WiFi, but the drone was hundreds of feet away from any home when it displayed the "strong aircraft interference" messages."

The 'Strong Interference' message has nothing to do with magnetic interference, or power lines. The frequency band our aircraft operate on is a world-wide unregulated band populated by millions of low-power devices, and WiFi is one of the major culprits.

Before reading your detailed explanation in another post, I'd never thought about the strong WiFi signals emitted by places like shopping malls. The flight that inspired my question about the "Strong interference" message took the drone in the general direction of a nearby shopping strip that includes a couple of department stores. Using 20/20 hindsight, those stores were very likely the source of the interference.

Larry
2020-1-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

larryc43230 Posted at 1-1 06:20
Before reading your detailed explanation in another post, I'd never thought about the strong WiFi signals emitted by places like shopping malls. The flight that inspired my question about the "Strong interference" message took the drone in the general direction of a nearby shopping strip that includes a couple of department stores. Using 20/20 hindsight, those stores were very likely the source of the interference.

Larry

Yes, they are good places to stay away from, schools are another.
2020-1-1
Use props
djiuser_L6TccQb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8530 ft
United States

I got this again today, on an uninhabited strip of land in a bay on the Oregon coast. I don't think it has to do with wifi. Maybe radar? There is a Coast Guard station a couple of miles away.
2020-6-28
Use props
heliaetus
lvl.4
Greece

djiuser_L6TccQb Posted at 6-28 11:56
I got this again today, on an uninhabited strip of land in a bay on the Oregon coast. I don't think it has to do with wifi. Maybe radar? There is a Coast Guard station a couple of miles away.

Maritime radars operate at 3&5.5GHz but the harmonics sure fall within WiFi regions. Generally speaking the message itself is wiFi related but this doesn't mean that the source of interference is a WiFi transmitter, to put things into perspective  the source of interference can be as you can see here even a microwave oven.
2020-6-29
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

interfere comes from 2.4ghz and 5ghz or is it 5.8ghz civilian commercial transmissions.

if you really want to prove, hike into uninhabited turf and you will realize interfere presence absent
2020-6-29
Use props
DeafMacBoi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7848 ft

United States

When I read the first message and I was thinking maybe there was real invisible alien spaceship hovering around you they were awed with how small advanced drone could fly like that.
2020-6-29
Use props
djiuser_HkWIKAT1XAEK
New

United States

I got this message tonight along with a disconect from my Dji mini and a return to home. I don’t know my altitude when I got the sequence of warnings.  I am  11 miles from Reno Int airport and somewhat in line with the flight path of  Of landing airplanes. Are you near an airport?
2020-7-17
Use props
Shogun007
lvl.1

United States

Tthe strang thing about this aircraft signal interference message only happens when i fly the mini 4 pro.  It does not happen when i fly the Air 3.
2023-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules