4044 33 2018-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TeddBob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1743622 ft

Hi,

I tested the new firmware (remote control and drone) for the first time today:

• Range seems to be much worse now. Lost all control and video only after 350m
  • When control was completely lost, drone initiated a Return to Home action, but didn't return at all to the take off location. Instead, it seemed to return to the last place when remote control was in range...
  • When doing a Dronie, all controls on the right of the screen (record button, switch between video/still, gimbal position) dissappeared, and never came back (even after switching to normal flying mode or other modes)
  • Using the spare button (behind the still picture button) and the gimbal to adjust exposure compensation is really great

Suggestions:

• Why can't we record the flight back from a dronie (when the drone comes back towards the subject)? Can't even trigger manually a recording
  • Same after a rocket flight
  • Why can't we just disable or turn down the alarm sounds? It's too lound early in the morning...

Thanks
2018-10-1
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

I used to have issues like you described from previous update through my phone, so i have tried to reset factory and refresh firmware, recalibration everything both Mavic Air and RC using DJI Assistant 2, also clean install DJI Go 4 for my Galaxy S7 and most of problem were solved. May you give a try? Good luck.
2018-10-1
Use props
TeddBob
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I am actually also using a Samsung S7 (Edge). I did uninstall the app previously, reset everything due to initial issues with the drone (was not reconnecting very easily each time). I am not sure I want to do the same process each time DJI releases a new firmware!

I feel that the issue of the drone not returning to take off point when remote signal is lost is a firmware bug, as opposed to an issue with my settings/phone. This one is worrying...
2018-10-1
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

I had all sorts of problems after 0.400, but with this update, all went well.
Range improved to 1100 meters, before video started lagging and freezing (only got around 500 meters before.)
RC and Drone linked almost immediately, every time. (had to power on and off and on to link before, trail and error.)
Updated with Assistant 2. Flew 4 batteries, only one disconnection with forced RTH. Use to have several for each battery.

Using Huawei P10 Plus. Did not test any Quikshot modes, but panoramas etc worked perfectly.
Improvement, thanks DJI.
New RC feature is great. Please add a couple more, would be HIGHLY appreciated.
1. No RC beep, or make it possible to mute manually.
2. Button to switch off phone charging with RC
3. Function to get gimbal up or down respectively, from RC.
2018-10-1
Use props
JamesPigeon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1234980 ft
Norway

Charissa Posted at 2018-10-1 01:59
I had all sorts of problems after 0.400, but with this update, all went well.
Range improved to 1100 meters, before video started lagging and freezing (only got around 500 meters before.)
RC and Drone linked almost immediately, every time. (had to power on and off and on to link before, trail and error.)

I do strongly agree on your three points here.
But both RC RTH beeping is horrible and no way of choose to charge your phone or not is just silly.
2018-10-1
Use props
TedBob
lvl.4

I believe the bottom sensors also behave differently now.

I used to click on "landing" and land the drone in my hand very easily. Drone is now "fighting" a lot more to do the same.
2018-10-1
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

TedBob Posted at 2018-10-1 04:44

I used to click on "landing" and land the drone in my hand very easily. Drone is now "fighting" a lot more to do the same.

Now that you mention it, I notice a bit more resistance to land on my hand, but not so that it bothers me.
2018-10-1
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

TedBob Posted at 2018-10-1 04:44

I used to click on "landing" and land the drone in my hand very easily. Drone is now "fighting" a lot more to do the same.

Have you checked that 'Landing Protection' may be on in DJI Go 4, check in 'Visual Navigation Settings' / 'Advanced Settings' menu.
2018-10-1
Use props
TedBob
lvl.4

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-1 05:10
Have you checked that 'Landing Protection' may be on in DJI Go 4, check in 'Visual Navigation Settings' / 'Advanced Settings' menu.

Yes, it's on, but it was also on before and it was easier to land in my hand.

I would just press the auto land button, and push down the stick when drone was close to my hand. It's harder now
2018-10-1
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

TeddBob Posted at 2018-10-1 01:19
I am actually also using a Samsung S7 (Edge). I did uninstall the app previously, reset everything due to initial issues with the drone (was not reconnecting very easily each time). I am not sure I want to do the same process each time DJI releases a new firmware!

I feel that the issue of the drone not returning to take off point when remote signal is lost is a firmware bug, as opposed to an issue with my settings/phone. This one is worrying...

I also do not want to do all reset, refresh, recalibrate... it took long time but this is the only one way make sure that most of bug(s) free. Anyway, DJI just release new firmware several months from each other
2018-10-1
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

"
  • When control was completely lost, drone initiated a Return to Home  action, but didn't return at all to the take off location. Instead, it  seemed to return to the last place when remote control was in range..."

This is the design of a lost control signal for the MA and should have operated that way in previous versions of the firmware.  It will retrace its path for 60 seconds hoping to reconnect to the controller. If after 60 seconds it has not reconnected, it will do a straight line RTH.

2018-10-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

JEZ2 Posted at 2018-10-1 06:08
"
  • When control was completely lost, drone initiated a Return to Home  action, but didn't return at all to the take off location. Instead, it  seemed to return to the last place when remote control was in range..."

• Think this is what you are referring to.

2018-10-1
    Use props
    TedBob
    lvl.4

JEZ2 Posted at 2018-10-1 06:08
    "

• First time I see that behaviour. In the past, it seemed to
    just returned to the take off point in a straight line
    2018-10-1
    Use props
    hallmark007
    Captain
    • >>>
    Ireland

It’s just a matter of reversing footage and you will have it both ways.
    2018-10-1
    Use props
    TedBob
    lvl.4

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-1 07:16
    It’s just a matter of reversing footage and you will have it both ways.

Yes, but reversing footage comes with its drawbacks...

Surely, DJI can just leave the option to trigger recording manually?? My previous cheap drone could do it...
    2018-10-1
    Use props
    hallmark007
    Captain
    • >>>
    Ireland

TedBob Posted at 2018-10-1 07:19

Surely, DJI can just leave the option to trigger recording manually?? My previous cheap drone could do it...

Maybe they will some day, for me I would like to see button for camera down.
    2018-10-1
    Use props
    IM35461
    lvl.3
    Flight distance : 2235417 ft
    • >>>
    United Kingdom

I did three flights today on new firmware. All three times I did a precision takeoff ticking the little box. Only on flight 2 did it land in the correct spot. 1st time, 10' off and third time 6' off.

I let it do a low battery RTH on all three flights.

No sudden yaw jerking on takeoff but on flight 2 it did start to turn right and drift all by itself so that random issue seems to persist.

Using my CrystalSky to control it.
    2018-10-1
    Use props
    InvisibleName 7
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 795653 ft

3 full batteries worth of flying with .0500 FW this evening...

...flew perfectly!

Went out to 1000m with completely stable video feed
    Hovered without any drift
    Several auto flight functions tested
    No disconnections at any time

Combined Function key & gimbal wheel controls exposure setting - very useful!
    2018-10-1
    Use props
    larryc43230
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 664534 ft

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-10-1 09:16
    3 full batteries worth of flying with .0500 FW this evening...

...flew perfectly!

Congratulations.

Another day, another test flight. Same location, same conditions as before.

I flew the drone up to about 330 feet, then flew it 1,000 feet (not meters) to the northwest. It got to 1,080 feet in horizontal distance, then the remote announced "Signal Lost - Returning to Home" or something very similar. After maybe 30 seconds, the drone and remote reconnected, and the drone performed an RTH. Viewing the flight log afterward, I saw that the reconnection occurred at a distance of about 900 feet.

I also received a very brief "Strong Aircraft Interference" warning with the drone about 330 feet up and 500 feet distant, with nothing at all (not even trees) nearby, but that disappeared after a second or so.

Before the firmware update, I was easily able to fly the drone three times farther than that horizontally, now it consistently loses signal at about 1,000 feet.

I can no longer trust the drone to go more than about 1,000 feet away without risking losing the signal. This has happened all three times I've tried flying it that far away.

Larry

2018-10-1
    Use props
    johnnybflyguy
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 533681 ft
    United Kingdom

JamesPigeon Posted at 2018-10-1 03:59
    I do strongly agree on your three points here.
    But both RC RTH beeping is horrible and no way of choose to charge your phone or not is just silly.

On my phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x)  when I get the charge phone message I swipe down and switch to transfer files.
    2018-10-1
    Use props
    sky6105
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 345653 ft
    United States

larryc43230 Posted at 2018-10-1 09:53
    I also received a very brief "Strong Aircraft Interference" warning with  the drone about 330 feet up and 500 feet distant, with nothing at all  (not even trees) nearby, but that disappeared after a second or so.
    I used to get the same pop up Strong interference always in the same area.
    Come to find out about a mile away there was a cell tower with a directional ant. on it and I was flying right through it's path.
    If I lowered or raised my height it was all good I found this out by going up till I got the pop up and did a 360 and that's when I found out what was causing it.
    The cell tower ant. was transmitting from one Hospital to an other Hospital.
    2018-10-3
    Use props
    larryc43230
    Second Officer

sky6105 Posted at 2018-10-3 00:29
    I used to get the same pop up Strong interference always in the same area.
    Come to find out about a mile away there was a cell tower with a directional ant. on it and I was flying right through it's path.
    If I lowered or raised my height it was all good I found this out by going up till I got the pop up and did a 360 and that's when I found out what was causing it.

Very interesting! There is a cell tower a good distance away, but within line of sight, at the location where my drone shows the Strong Aircraft Interference warning. I'm skeptical that the cell signals from that tower would be strong enough to cause any interference, but I hadn't thought about the possibility of interference from a directional antenna mounted on the cell tower. If that's what's causing the interference in my case, it was probably added to the tower around the same time as I did the firmware update, since I rarely saw the error message before the update. It's within the realm of possibility. Thanks for the suggestion!

Larry
    2018-10-3
    Use props
    AIRQUAD
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 25751486 ft
    Sweden

larryc43230 Posted at 2018-10-3 06:04
    Very interesting! There is a cell tower a good distance away, but within line of sight, at the location where my drone shows the Strong Aircraft Interference warning. I'm skeptical that the cell signals from that tower would be strong enough to cause any interference, but I hadn't thought about the possibility of interference from a directional antenna mounted on the cell tower. If that's what's causing the interference in my case, it was probably added to the tower around the same time as I did the firmware update, since I rarely saw the error message before the update. It's within the realm of possibility. Thanks for the suggestion!

Larry

Sounds wierd, are you on 2.4 Ghz or on 5,8 Ghz ?
    2018-10-3
    Use props
    larryc43230
    Second Officer

AIRQUAD Posted at 2018-10-3 06:35
    Sounds wierd, are you on 2.4 Ghz or on 5,8 Ghz ?

I've never changed the Wi-Fi settings since I first took the drone out of its box in June (I've never delved into those details; never needed to). Wi-Fi is set to Auto, and always has been.

As far as I can remember, the DJI GO 4 display has always read 2.4G, though there could have been rare exceptions.

Larry
    2018-10-3
    Use props
    sky6105
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 345653 ft

AIRQUAD Posted at 2018-10-3 06:35
    Sounds wierd, are you on 2.4 Ghz or on 5,8 Ghz ?

I am on 5.8
    2018-10-3
    Use props
    Jclark5101
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 189843 ft
    United States

Got a cell tower right in line of the way I want to fly and if I fly in it’s direction and not close to it at allI get the interference warning  at a very short distance 2200 feet. So now I fly way to the right of it and can go 7000 feet and then get the warning.  At the 7000 foot it is almost even with the tower.
    2018-10-3
    Use props
    DJI Natalia
    Administrator

Hi there, thanks for your honest feedback with our latest firmware. Regarding your suggestion, I'll forward this to our R&D department for clarification. Thanks for your support. Have a safe flight always.
    2018-10-4
    Use props
    Lorenco23
    lvl.1
    Flight distance : 22146 ft
    Germany

What is the version number from the rc firmware? My controller got stuck on the update, but it is alive again. I have. 200 right now. Thanks guys.
    2018-10-5
    Use props
    Aardvark
    First Officer
    Flight distance : 384432 ft
    • >>>

Lorenco23 Posted at 2018-10-5 02:30
    What is the version number from the rc firmware? My controller got stuck on the update, but it is alive again. I have. 200 right now. Thanks guys.

Date : 2018.09.30
    Aircraft Firmware : v01.00.0500
    Remote Controller Firmware : v01.00.0200
    2018-10-5
    Use props
    flyingcooldudea
    lvl.1
    Flight distance : 174892 ft
    Finland

larryc43230 Posted at 2018-10-3 08:18
    I've never changed the Wi-Fi settings since I first took the drone out of its box in June (I've never delved into those details; never needed to). Wi-Fi is set to Auto, and always has been.

As far as I can remember, the DJI GO 4 display has always read 2.4G, though there could have been rare exceptions.

you dont have to change wifi settings cause you live in US, i think. we europeans have to boost it up with fcc modifications.
    2018-10-5
    Use props
    Lorenco23
    lvl.1
    Flight distance : 22146 ft
    Germany

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-5 02:46
    Date : 2018.09.30
    Aircraft Firmware : v01.00.0500
    Remote Controller Firmware : v01.00.0200

Thanks, after hard reboot its seems to work. I was aspecting also a .0500 version..
    2018-10-5
    Use props
    WayneMHK
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 694728 ft
    • >>>
    United States

TedBob Posted at 2018-10-1 07:19

Ummmmm, hit the "Record" button?
    2018-10-5
    Use props
    WayneMHK
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 694728 ft
    • >>>
    United States

Optimus_Prime Posted at 2018-10-1 05:33
    I also do not want to do all reset, refresh, recalibrate... it took long time but this is the only one way make sure that most of bug(s) free. Anyway, DJI just release new firmware several months from each other

It appears that this aircraft requires  a lot more "attention" than other models when it comes to FW updates.  It is a real PITA.
    2018-10-5
    Use props
    DJ-MA
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 127713 ft
    Netherlands

Just like Charissa, I'm having gimbal recenter issues after upgrading. It does not affect the HDR shots for me, but as soon as I point the gimbal upwards, any additional input (moves/turns) resets it to center, or so it seems. I did see the 'strong interference' warning once (when flying straight overhead with rc pointing forward). So, so far so good ... Even the photo/video mode switching glitch that cause lost connections appears to be fixed, but pressing the 'play' button to see the photo's/vids reliably freaks out the connection and resets it every single time, but that's a manageable issue - will watch footage on the ground only...
    2018-10-5
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules