Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Remote controller burned resistor
3709 11 2018-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Espace Hobby
lvl.1
Canada

I will post this here in case something similar happens to anyone else,as i couldn't find anyone with the same problem by searching on google.

Mavic Pro Remote, just after a firmware upgrade (latest version, 04.500 i believe).
Everything went well as far as upgrading goes, but the Remote was getting low on battery (35%).

I plugged in the remote to my USB cable,
that i used countless times to recharge that same exact Remote.

After about 2 hours i went to check the charge level and saw that the Remote screen was off (instead of the usual <charging> text).
The upper left corner of the Remote was hot, and the battery level was still at 33%.

My warranty period is over so i opened the remote myself to check what was wrong and was greeted with a burned up resistor beside the USB port.
(See attached pictures)
You can see the resistor embedded itself in the plastic below and stuck there when i removed the keypad board.
The remote still works like it should, just can't be recharged and if you use the side port for plugging in your phone it's not connecting to the remote.
The lower USB port still works though, just can't charge using that.

So if anyone has a non-charging Remote, it *might* be the same problem.

20181001_164231.jpg
20181001_164302.jpg
20181001_164337.jpg
2018-10-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Our apologies for the inconvenience. I would suggest you to contact our support team to start up  a case: (https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav) We have the professional data analysis team who would do their best to find out the  reason of the issue and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. The invoice will be sent to you after diagnosis by our repair center. You can check the estimated price for the components of the remote controller here: https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry
2018-10-2
Use props
Espace Hobby
lvl.1
Canada

It's ok, i already ordered the replacement part and will install it myself.
Sending the Remote back to VisionUp would cost me more in shipping alone than the price i paid for the replacement keypad board.
I just wanted to post these pictures somewhere so that future pilots could at least determine they are not alone in this situation if that ever happens to somebody else !
2018-10-2
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Are you replacing the board or just the burnt resistor?
2018-10-2
Use props
Espace Hobby
lvl.1
Canada

Replacing the entire "keypad board", in case there is also a burnt trace on the board, but looking at it i can already tell the solder pads are gone so it's a no brainer !
Hoping the damages are limited to that and didn't affect another component somewhere under the LCD.
2018-10-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-10-2 09:44
Are you replacing the board or just the burnt resistor?

Can't be sure from pictures, but board appears damaged.  If it is, replacing board is safest bet.

Even if board is not damaged, replacing SMD resistor requires right tools, and experience.  Or you can damage board in process.
2018-10-2
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-10-2 10:31
Can't be sure from pictures, but board appears damaged.  If it is, replacing board is safest bet.

Even if board is not damaged, replacing SMD resistor requires right tools, and experience.  Or you can damage board in process.

Was checking just in case I needed to do this in the future, need to be prepared you know
2018-10-2
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Espace Hobby Posted at 2018-10-2 10:18
Replacing the entire "keypad board", in case there is also a burnt trace on the board, but looking at it i can already tell the solder pads are gone so it's a no brainer !
Hoping the damages are limited to that and didn't affect another component somewhere under the LCD.

Cool, if you do a video post it up here, click reply to my post so i get a notification when you do post else I would not know
2018-10-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-10-2 10:50
Was checking just in case I needed to do this in the future, need to be prepared you know

Got Sarcasm.   But should anyone really want to...   It would be good if they had:

Stereo 2x to 30x microscope with builtin Light
Solder sucker (powered)
Controlled Temp Soldering iron with fine tip
Fine solder with flux
Small bench vise with plastic jaws
Tweezers
Superglue with needle tip

And of course know correct SMD resistor Ohms and watt rating.

2018-10-2
Use props
Peter717
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1509055 ft
United States

Did you get friendly reminded from DJI Admin that opening remote will void your warranty?I get that every time I post something up, LOL

2018-10-3
Use props
Espace Hobby
lvl.1
Canada

Peter717 Posted at 2018-10-3 07:05
Did you get friendly reminded from DJI Admin that opening remote will void your warranty?I get that every time I post something up, LOL

Well in my first post i wrote "My warranty period is over so i opened the remote myself "
And on the first reply from DJI admin asking me to send it for repair i answered "No thanks i already ordered the replacement part and will install it myself" so yeah..
It's understandable though, they don't want people who don't know the least bit about electronics to start opening and replacing parts on a still-on-warranty drone.
That's not my case, i've been opening and replacing parts in DJI drones for years at the hobby shop i work at, just have never seen that particular problem yet so posting it here for the posterity !
2018-10-3
Use props
Peter717
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1509055 ft
United States

Copy that.
Same here...
2018-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now