o(^-^)o
AndrewUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1403068 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, hopefully this is useful to others contemplating updating:

Phone: Galaxy Note 3 (old-ish)
MA purchased: Feb 2018
Experience: 28hr / 326km / 142 flights (mostly with 0400)

Updated controller, MA and GO 4 to latest versions.  Followed the prompts carefully, no issues anywhere in the update process.

One flight so far:

• For me nothing obvious has improved / regressed with range in the vicinity of houses and other WiFi devices.
  • Video feed seems the same, no lag until range is struggling.
  • At one point I noticed the MA did not maintain altitude when hovering about 3m above a carpark, where the IR sensors shold be holding that bang-on.
  • At one point I think I noticed the gimble twitch.

Issues experienced with MA 0400:

• 3 time the MA disconnected from the controller and RTH, connection not resumed until controller restarted (dangerous).
  • GPS fix routinely taking 5m to lock (annoying).
  • Precision landing a little hit and miss at times (minor).
  • Range sucks a bit on 2.4GHz when other WiFi sources are within about 0.5 mile.

I will update as I gain more time with MA 0500.

/A

2018-10-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi Andrew. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had recently with your DJI Mavic Air. We do really suggest to update to its latest firmware https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... elease_Notes_en.pdf as it will improve your flight experience with the aircraft. We sincerely appreciate your patience. Thank you again for continued support. Have a safe flight always.
2018-10-6
Use props
AndrewUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-10-6 03:19
Hi Andrew. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had recently with your DJI Mavic Air. We do really suggest to update to its latest firmware https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic%20Air/20180930/Mavic_Air_Release_Notes_en.pdf as it will improve your flight experience with the aircraft. We sincerely appreciate your patience. Thank you again for continued support. Have a safe flight always.

Is this a stock response?

"Updated controller, MA and GO 4 to latest versions."
2018-10-6
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

AndrewUK Posted at 2018-10-6 03:27
Is this a stock response?

"Updated controller, MA and GO 4 to latest versions."

Hi Andrew,

i had to read your writing twice to understand it fully. English is not my native language.
Guess some of the administrators have to read it four times to, hopefully, understand what is written.

cheers
JJB
2018-10-6
Use props
AndrewUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-6 06:28
Hi Andrew,

i had to read your writing twice to understand it fully. English is not my native language.

It appeared to be a standard response without reading my initial post, where I state that I am running the latest versions.
2018-10-6
Use props
f1alan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105197 ft

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Similar to mine - I have only had 0400 until now and hadn't seen any major issues with it but I did occasionally encounter the "motor current error" and self rotation when simply ascending. Today I decided to upgrade to 0500 and although I have only had one flight so far, I think it is an improvement. I can now ascend without any random self rotations which I had to work around before. The signal seems stronger but I'm not sure if that is true. The app also seems to run a lot smoother on my Acer Iconia tablet.
2018-10-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi Andrew , thank you for letting us know about your experience. We really appreciate this kind of feedback as it helps us to improve more. If you have any concern or you need some help, don't hesitate to reach us. We are always here to help you out.
2018-10-6
Use props
rwaynestronach
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43346 ft
New Zealand

My MA updated firmware last night.  Took it out and 1st flight the controller disconnected when coming in to land and about 3m away.  I was able to grab it and turn it off.  Just checked that everything in on latest releases and it is.  BTW this is the 1st time it has happened to me, so I'm thinking its associated with the latest firmware releases.
2018-10-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i had to update multiple times to get .500 to work correctly.   im one of the few that had some issues with .500...   but now after a couple refresh everything is sorted out i think.

currently my only complaints with the update/aircraft is generic and not related to .500..

1. i wish dji would allow us how to have more options for live view.. my mavic air and several others i imagine have issues of suddenly frozen frames when flying around things that block signal.  would like it if my live view turned to mush discolored crap before locking up frames..just to prevent crashing..  like "SD/Dynamic" for dropping resolution to potato quality much more readily.. and "HD mode" for prefering higher quality video as possible but at risk of dropped of frames.

2.  i wish i could set the 0% higher up..  like i wish they built in a better forced auto landing where you cannot override it at a higher percentage/voltage or a toggle to enable safe mode for the battery.  because i nearly killed a battery completely recently by over discharging it, flying it and head wind on the way back because of an approaching storm.  and i was at 0% near the end and able to override auto landing it wasnt forcing and ignoring my inputs..  landed and 2.50v per cell!  that's seriously over discharged for almost any high voltage lithium battery. i didn't realize how deeply discharged it was until landing..  im used to my old mavic pro which definitely allowed a much bigger buffer with its low power, 0% wasn't really 0% so was more buffer before you wrecked the battery

3. least likely for the mavic air because unique way DJI works.. but i wish i could have a uplink and downlink signal meter...  although i imagine part of the issue is that dji isnt using seperate uplinks and downlinks with Wifi but they could still give us a signal read out of how strong the signal is from each things.. RC vs Aircraft..
2018-10-6
Use props
Klaus W.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 118366 ft

Updated as soon as the update was out and had zero problems, neither during the update nor whilst flying after that.
2018-10-6
Use props
AndrewUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-10-6 16:56
Hi Andrew , thank you for letting us know about your experience. We really appreciate this kind of feedback as it helps us to improve more. If you have any concern or you need some help, don't hesitate to reach us. We are always here to help you out.

Thank you DJI Stephen.  I am an embedded software engineer and more than happy to report the required details for your software team if it means my favourite toy is improved...

Not sure if you can answer this, I am intrigued about how the software team(s) are working.  Is there a core team that develops the core features shared across the DJI drone models and model specific teams building the core into each model and adding model specific features?  There was a huge gap between MA 0400 and 0500 so presumably the original MA devs were pulled onto M2?
2018-10-7
Use props
AndrewUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

rwaynestronach Posted at 2018-10-6 17:25
My MA updated firmware last night.  Took it out and 1st flight the controller disconnected when coming in to land and about 3m away.  I was able to grab it and turn it off.  Just checked that everything in on latest releases and it is.  BTW this is the 1st time it has happened to me, so I'm thinking its associated with the latest firmware releases.

Is your Wi-Fi auto or manual and what country is it set to?  I always use manual.  In 28 ish flying hours I've had 3 disconnects like this where something gets confused and a controller restart resolves it.
2018-10-7
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

Hey mate,

Thanks for sharing. I had quite a lot of trouble getting it to install the FW, no idea why... Eventually I managed to update both but have yet to really test it. Rainy season here !
2018-10-7
Use props
Cabreo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63196 ft
Italy

AndrewUK Posted at 2018-10-6 06:45
It appeared to be a standard response without reading my initial post, where I state that I am running the latest versions.

Your post was perfectly clear, Andrew. There was evidently a language problem, it happens here a lot.

Hope you stick around in this forum, your professional experience, put together with your experience with the MA, could be useful to a lot of us.
2018-10-7
Use props
rwaynestronach
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43346 ft
New Zealand

AndrewUK Posted at 2018-10-7 02:34
Is your Wi-Fi auto or manual and what country is it set to?  I always use manual.  In 28 ish flying hours I've had 3 disconnects like this where something gets confused and a controller restart resolves it.

Hi Andrew, sorry missed your reply - Set in Auto.  Was in a remote New Zealand location, so wireless interference is possible, but not likely.  
2018-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules