Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
compact cameras with ronin s?
4932 21 2018-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

Hi!

Can I use a compact camera (specifically say a Nikon A900, or Sony RX100 V) camera with the ronin s for stabliziation?

If I understand correctly - the ronin s simply compenstates for whatever jiggle/movement/etc I make - so what my camera is filming comes out smooth?

2018-10-6
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

any replies? dji staff?
2018-10-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, the Ronin-S can be physically stabilized when being used with cameras that weigh less than 3.6 kg, with a width smaller than or equal to 205 mm, and a height less than or equal to 150 mm. However, some camera models may not be able to be controlled with the Ronin-S. For more details about the supported cameras, see the supported camera list on DJI’s official website. The list is being updated continuously.
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ility_List_0920.pdf
2018-10-8
Use props
Aleksey F
lvl.2

Ukraine

Hi,

I was not able to find a minimum payload Ronin S can handle. What I know is that it doesn't pass a self-test without any payload. You might need to use a camera riser plate and extra weight applied to a inner/smallest arm to work. See my experiments in a parallel thread https://forum.dji.com/thread-168013-1-1.html
2018-10-8
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

Aleksey F Posted at 2018-10-8 08:52
Hi,

I was not able to find a minimum payload Ronin S can handle. What I know is that it doesn't pass a self-test without any payload. You might need to use a camera riser plate and extra weight applied to a inner/smallest arm to work. See my experiments in a parallel thread https://forum.dji.com/thread-168013-1-1.html

ah, thanks! do you happen to have a compact camera you could try out? (I'm assuming you have one?) I don't really care about the 'start/stop' functionality - I can press that on my actual camera - I just want to know if DJI would 'stablize' it while recording...?
2018-10-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Aleksey F Posted at 2018-10-8 08:52
Hi,

Hi Aleksey, there is no limit of the minimum payload of Ronin-S, but you are right, it cannot stabilize itself without any payload.
2018-10-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiguy001 Posted at 2018-10-8 13:05
ah, thanks! do you happen to have a compact camera you could try out? (I'm assuming you have one?) I don't really care about the 'start/stop' functionality - I can press that on my actual camera - I just want to know if DJI would 'stablize' it while recording...?

As long as the size and weight of the camera meet a criterion, Ronin-S can be physically stabilized.
2018-10-9
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-9 02:36
As long as the size and weight of the camera meet a criterion, Ronin-S can be physically stabilized.

Hmm. Okay. I may get it then. If it 'doesn't' work - is it easy to get a refund? (I.e., would I just send it back?)
2018-10-9
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

pps - another thing - do I "have" to have a DJI app/mobile phone to activate this? Or - can I just use it straight out of the box? (I don't want to hook up my iPad or anything like that/download any software... just want to start using it right away)
2018-10-9
Use props
Aleksey F
lvl.2

Poland

djiguy001 Posted at 2018-10-8 13:05
ah, thanks! do you happen to have a compact camera you could try out? (I'm assuming you have one?) I don't really care about the 'start/stop' functionality - I can press that on my actual camera - I just want to know if DJI would 'stablize' it while recording...?

Eventually, I do have compact camera Samsung EX2F and it works with Ronin S. See my video at [SOLVED] [DIY] Sony NEX-6 (+other light cameras like NEX-7, a6000) thread of this forum
2018-10-10
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

Aleksey F Posted at 2018-10-10 02:07
Eventually, I do have compact camera Samsung EX2F and it works with Ronin S. See my video at [SOLVED] [DIY] Sony NEX-6 (+other light cameras like NEX-7, a6000) thread of this forum

thanks! I appreciate that - so - did you do any 'test filming' just to make sure it was 100% 'stable'? If so, I think maybe then I will get one myself... thanks for doing that!
2018-10-10
Use props
Aleksey F
lvl.2

Ukraine

To be honest, I didn't analyze EX2F footage. What I can say, is that NEX-6 footage looks shaky with optical stabilization turned off, it's rather smooth with stabilization on. Still, you should take into consideration that gimbal keeps horizon while letting camera to move horizontally and vertically.
2018-10-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiguy001 Posted at 2018-10-9 07:23
Hmm. Okay. I may get it then. If it 'doesn't' work - is it easy to get a refund? (I.e., would I just send it back?)

Please check the Return & Refund Service policy here before you purchase it. GTScreenshot_20181011_204555.png
APP is required to activate the device, and some control features can also be achieved from the APP.
2018-10-11
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-11 04:47
Please check the Return & Refund Service policy here before you purchase it.[view_image]
APP is required to activate the device, and some control features can also be achieved from the APP.

okay, so if I am reading this correctly - I cannot actually "try it out" (because I'd have to activate it) - so if I wanted to try it out to see if it works, then you would say I could not refund it?
2018-10-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiguy001 Posted at 2018-10-11 08:09
okay, so if I am reading this correctly - I cannot actually "try it out" (because I'd have to activate it) - so if I wanted to try it out to see if it works, then you would say I could not refund it?

That's right, if the device was activated but no manufacturing defect was found, the refund may not be available. It is recommended to go to the retail store to have a try before purchasing: https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ... ite&from=footer
2018-10-12
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

Aleksey F Posted at 2018-10-10 10:27
To be honest, I didn't analyze EX2F footage. What I can say, is that NEX-6 footage looks shaky with optical stabilization turned off, it's rather smooth with stabilization on. Still, you should take into consideration that gimbal keeps horizon while letting camera to move horizontally and vertically.

hi aleksey, could you please do me a favor?

could you please take a video using your *compact* camera with the DJI ronin stablization on, then upload it here/youtube so I can see what it looks like? i.e., - holding the camera, then moving left/right/upside down, etc?

If it does work fine, I think maybe I will get one for my compact camera (it is about the same weight, 300g), thanks for your help?
2018-10-21
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

Aleksey F Posted at 2018-10-10 10:27
To be honest, I didn't analyze EX2F footage. What I can say, is that NEX-6 footage looks shaky with optical stabilization turned off, it's rather smooth with stabilization on. Still, you should take into consideration that gimbal keeps horizon while letting camera to move horizontally and vertically.

hi! just quickly following up - if you have a chance, could you please upload some footage so I can see what the ronin + compact camera footage looks like? thanks!
2018-10-25
Use props
Aleksey F
lvl.2

Poland

I'll try but as you may see I have little to no time for forum these weeks. Is this request still actual?
2018-11-16
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

Aleksey F Posted at 11-16 14:33
I'll try but as you may see I have little to no time for forum these weeks. Is this request still actual?

Yes, this is a real request.

I don't want to spend $700 just to find out it doesn't work. If it does work - and looks good - then I plan on getting the ronin-s. So yes - if you could do this video - it would definitely help me.

I just want to make sure that:
a) The camera balances (you said it did, which is good) and I think it weighs about the same as my camera (about 300g/0.3kg)
b) So - if you could please just take like 1 minute of footage - just so I can "see" that it is "stable" when moving around - then that would be great.
c) I am assuming also with the ronin-s I can move the camera up/down/left/right with the button on the ronin? If you could please do that too - so I can see how stable/etc the footage looks, that would help too.

I think a lot of people would benefit from this video - because I can't seem to find anyone that talks about "compact" cameras, only $5,000 DSLRs, etc.

Thanks!
2018-11-16
Use props
marcusmiller314
lvl.1
United States

djiguy001 Posted at 11-16 15:02

I don't want to spend $700 just to find out it doesn't work. If it does work - and looks good - then I plan on getting the ronin-s. So yes - if you could do this video - it would definitely help me.

I have a Canon M50  Mirrorless and I attached it to the Ronin S and it works fine.
2018-11-17
Use props
djiguy001
lvl.4

Canada

marcusmiller314 Posted at 11-17 01:07
I have a Canon M50  Mirrorless and I attached it to the Ronin S and it works fine.

okay, thanks, that helps. My camera is a 'bit' lighter, but - maybe it will work since it is in the same range. (Looking up yours it is about 380g, mine is 280g)... but, maybe that will work, thanks.
2018-11-17
Use props
Aleksey F
lvl.2

Poland

djiguy001 Posted at 11-16 15:02

I don't want to spend $700 just to find out it doesn't work. If it does work - and looks good - then I plan on getting the ronin-s. So yes - if you could do this video - it would definitely help me.

Hi! See in a parallel thread -- it weights 300g, much like yours [SOLVED] [DIY] Sony NEX-6 (+other light cameras like NEX-7, a6000)

Generally, I see no reason why wouldn't it work -- it works. The next question would be about expectations because definitely you can see my steps on the video and looks like I need more practice with not stabilized lenses but with stabilized lenses it is silk smooth (again, some recommend to use Ronins with non-stabilized lenses but to my taste result is better when optically stabilized)
2018-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules