European Trip/NFZ Trouble/Furious
12Next >
2160 40 2018-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

In September I took my Mavic Air on a 3 week motorcycle tour of Spain and France. I checked that it was fully updated before I left.

I tried to use it in several different locations, all out in the country, and in each case it would not fly. It would not even leave the ground, claiming I was in a no-fly zone.

I would have been happy to fly it in Beginner mode, with limited height and distance, but that was not offered as an option. I was grounded.

Let me explain: I was in remote country areas with rugged terrain and many tall trees. The risk of encountering an aircraft at 100m was negligible.  I just wanted to video me and my friends on our bikes from a very limited distance, not destroy passing aircraft.

I was furious, as I missed so many great and unrepeatable opportunities to use the drone in a responsible manner.

I am now being saturation-bombed by DJI on all social media to buy the new drone. It will be a frosty day in hell before I purchase another DJI product.

Colin Low
2018-10-7
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

if you could take off even in beginner mode, then it wasn't a NFZ lock down.. because in a NFZ it wont even turn the props.     my guess is, something wasn't updated properly or something was unhappy

you can upload log files here for the community to look at and examine why, give you feed back, maybe there is a clue burried in your logs as to why it was letting the aircraft take off but claiming NFZ..
2018-10-7
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-10-7 04:38
if you could take off even in beginner mode, then it wasn't a NFZ lock down.. because in a NFZ it wont even turn the props.     my guess is, something wasn't updated properly or something was unhappy

you can upload log files here for the community to look at and examine why, give you feed back, maybe there is a clue burried in your logs as to why it was letting the aircraft take off but claiming NFZ..

Sigh ... if you read my post you will see that I couldn't take off in Beginner mode. And there was a pop-up saying I couldn't take off because of NFZ ... how clear is that.
2018-10-7
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft

Could you tell us one or some of the locations? So we can have a look?
2018-10-7
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

GhostWolf010 Posted at 2018-10-7 04:59
Could you tell us one or some of the locations? So we can have a look?

Here is one location, tiny place in the north of Spain, Carrena de Cabrales. I was in the garden of a hotel, wouldn't let me take off even to photograph the garden.

Another was by the side of the road on a col going over the Pyrenees. The point is, these places aren't even on the map, and I'm still getting NFZ warnings asking for an auth code to even get the props moving.
2018-10-7
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer

The first one is right inside a national park, the second, I don't know the exact location, buy there are national parks there also... I think you just had bad luck and tried inside the national park? (My drone says what kind of NFZ I am in, didn't yours do?)
2018-10-7
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer

This is how mine shows:
20181007_151806.png
2018-10-7
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-10-7 04:47
Sigh ... if you read my post you will see that I couldn't take off in Beginner mode. And there was a pop-up saying I couldn't take off because of NFZ ... how clear is that.

re-posting this because i had to delete thanks to the confusing way uploads happen on the site..

first of all, be polite, dont be an a*swipe, second of all based on vague description where you mentioned  in first place, hotel..the massive size of this NFZ publicly lists it appears there was an overlap possibly..

second place is a national park...
both cases appears spain doesn't NFZ borders very precisely.. they just square it off to the nearest size so its easy to be in a NFZ even if you are outside of the park

the picture is of the first location you mentioned, closes as i could figure out where it is...i could dig deeper but probably somewhere in the blue indicating national park and NFZ'd..also this map doesnt show every NFZ in spain or europe in general yet.. so bunch of unmarked NFZ's but appear this one is marked and very close to where you would have been

2018-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-10-7 05:10
Here is one location, tiny place in the north of Spain, Carrena de Cabrales. I was in the garden of a hotel, wouldn't let me take off even to photograph the garden.

Another was by the side of the road on a col going over the Pyrenees. The point is, these places aren't even on the map, and I'm still getting NFZ warnings asking for an auth code to even get the props moving.

If your in a NFZ it’s quite simple, it’s no fly full stop, there are maps you can download prior to flying and it’s a good practice to do this as a pre check, yes when proper research is not done and you find yourself not allowed to fly, it’s tough, but it’s not something we are not aware of.
2018-10-7
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-7 05:59
If your in a NFZ it’s quite simple, it’s no fly full stop, there are maps you can download prior to flying and it’s a good practice to do this as a pre check, yes when proper research is not done and you find yourself not allowed to fly, it’s tough, but it’s not something we are not aware of.

Hey mate,

Not encounter a NFZ yet, how do you download where they are ?
2018-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-10-7 06:08
Hey mate,

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Here’s one there may be others for your country, but maybe some Aussie’s will row in here, I’m not familiar.
2018-10-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-7 06:23

Here’s one there may be others for your country, but maybe some Aussie’s will row in here, I’m not familiar.

Region and country selected at top of flysafe page.
2018-10-7
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-10-7 05:54
re-posting this because i had to delete thanks to the confusing way uploads happen on the site..

first of all, be polite, dont be an a*swipe, second of all based on vague description where you mentioned  in first place, hotel..the massive size of this NFZ publicly lists it appears there was an overlap possibly..

I think you have highlighted the problem - some of the NFZ are enormous and blanket huge scenic areas like the Picos de Europa. I became aware of that as my trip proceeded and I tried to find out how to deal with the problem.

We planned our itinerary day-by-day; the idea that I would "look up" every NFZ in Europe day by day  before leaving is crazy. I had limited wifi. We stopped, I'd try to fly the drone, and 2/3 of my attempts failed because of NFZ.

The tone of this discussion is that I am a little stupid not to grasp the NFZ issue. My point is that I dragged a drone 2500 miles around Europe and 2/3 of the time it was useless. I couldn't even get it 2 metres off the ground.

And my message to DJI is that you won't be selling me any more drones. Not until you rethink the way in why the drone is restricted.
2018-10-7
Use props
Atlas_Aus
Second Officer

Thailand

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-7 06:23

Here’s one there may be others for your country, but maybe some Aussie’s will row in here, I’m not familiar.

Thanks mate, very helpful.
2018-10-7
Use props
lordgarth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9642 ft

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-10-7 06:51
I think you have highlighted the problem - some of the NFZ are enormous and blanket huge scenic areas like the Picos de Europa. I became aware of that as my trip proceeded and I tried to find out how to deal with the problem.

We planned our itinerary day-by-day; the idea that I would "look up" every NFZ in Europe day by day  before leaving is crazy. I had limited wifi. We stopped, I'd try to fly the drone, and 2/3 of my attempts failed because of NFZ.

So let me get this straight.  You blame DJI for government imposed NFZ's?  Just asking.
2018-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-10-7 06:51

Your missing the point, it’s not dji who decides NFZ , it’s the country your flying in, if there was no restrictions on your drone, yes you could have flown, but if you were caught flying, you would then be facing the rigors of the law you just broke, then you might be having a problem with dji for not warning you.
Really your complaint should be directed towards those who decided to mark these territories as NFZ for drones, although dji NFZ is not always 100% accurate, it has been improving and hopefully over time it will become more accurate.
2018-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-7 06:46
Region and country selected at top of flysafe page.

I think it automatically goes to your region when you click in, at least it does for me.
2018-10-7
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

lordgarth Posted at 2018-10-7 07:18
So let me get this straight.  You blame DJI for government imposed NFZ's?  Just asking.

This is clearly a rhetorical question and you don't expect me to reply "yes".

There are many countries in Europe, and each has shades of grey in its interpretation of NFZ rules. DJI seems to have implemented the draconian version, the one-size-fits-all approach that makes the drone as useful as a brick. I would have had more joy flying a brick - my friend Adam could have chucked a brick a long way in the air.

Part of the difficulty has been educating myself on the rules - each country is different, and when travelling around it is hard (while booking accommodation and finding food on random internet connections) to spend time figuring out what the drone is going to do in any given spot. So, some sympathy please for the travelling motorcyclist transiting multiple countries with a drone.

I don't blame DJI for national NFZ or drone policies. However, I don't think they are communicating effectively how crippled the drones can be in practice.

A typical scenario for me was that we would stop in a quiet place (and we were in some absurdly remote spots). It would be 30 degrees and I'd strip off all my M/C gear. I'd unpack the drone and set it up. It wouldn't fly. And I wouldn't have a phone signal. My friends would be standing around in the heat. I'd apologise and pack it all up. I'd put my gear on again.

I will return to my original point: if DJI thinks it can sell me more drones with that as a scenario, it can think again. My experience was that travelling with a drone in Portugal, Spain and France was mostly a waste of time. DJIs problem is finding some way to make me happier than I currently am. If it is a state policy issue then fair enough, but if there is scope for limited flying and DJI simply can't be arsed to implement a more intelligent NFZ policy then my next drone will be a brick.

2018-10-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-10-7 05:10
Here is one location, tiny place in the north of Spain, Carrena de Cabrales. I was in the garden of a hotel, wouldn't let me take off even to photograph the garden.

Another was by the side of the road on a col going over the Pyrenees. The point is, these places aren't even on the map, and I'm still getting NFZ warnings asking for an auth code to even get the props moving.

Looking at the map, if I have highlighted the correct area then that shows on DJI flysafe as 'an enhanced warning zone' which should only require a tick in the box to self authorise. That's assuming that all is working correctly and up to date. I have flown many times in an enhanced area by ticking a circle and clicking a button to accept responsability.
The true NFZs (DJI 'Restricted zones') are usually just in the immediate vicinity of airports, prisons etc.

enhanced warning zone - Copy.png
2018-10-7
Use props
lordgarth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9642 ft

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-10-7 07:55
This is clearly a rhetorical question and you don't expect me to reply "yes".

There are many countries in Europe, and each has shades of grey in its interpretation of NFZ rules. DJI seems to have implemented the draconian version, the one-size-fits-all approach that makes the drone as useful as a brick. I would have had more joy flying a brick - my friend Adam could have chucked a brick a long way in the air.

Well if I were flying in a country outside my own, I would check with that country on their rules.  Verify any NFZ that could be within areas I planed to travel.  You can verify NFZ on the DJI Go app.  DJI has over ride codes for NFZ's that are in error.  
Your entire post comes across as "I wanted to go to a foreign country,  Fly in their NFZ and DJI wouldn't let me.  Now I am mad at DJI because I had to follow the rules".  How it sounds not saying how it is.  DJI has to block NFZ or they are not allowed to even do business in those countries.  Once again your ire should be at the country you were trying to fly in.
2018-10-7
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer

Agreed, tbh, you sound like a kid who wants something but won't get it. I know it can be pretty frustrating, but in the end it is your own responsibility to check for nfz before you try to fly somewhere. It is not DJI's fault that the government of that country decided to make that area an nfz.. Just be glad there are still a lot of places where you can fly. The only thing I have to agree is that the nfz's indicated shouldn't be an nfz but only a warning area. I don't know if you updated your fw and fly safe database?
2018-10-7
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

Can't fly in an area declared a No Fly Zone... Proceeds to blame and get mad, randomly, at DJI for it.

I think some of the stupidity from the Service section of this board is starting to leak over to the Mavic page.
2018-10-7
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-7 08:04
Looking at the map, if I have highlighted the correct area then that shows on DJI flysafe as 'an enhanced warning zone' which should only require a tick in the box to self authorise. That's assuming that all is working correctly and up to date. I have flown many times in an enhanced area by ticking a circle and clicking a button to accept responsability.
The true NFZs (DJI 'Restricted zones') are usually just in the immediate vicinity of airports, prisons etc.

You are of course assuming you have a perpetual internet connection :-) Like Apple assuming you are always connected to Icloud :-)

Yes Virginia, there are still places without a phone signal.

My problem was not understanding the whole credit card/phone number/having authorisation tickbox tralala while standing under the midday sun in Spain on a road that gets one car a day. In retrospect I would have researched it more thoroughly before leaving home, but the rules in the UK have not caused me a problem so far, so I didn't. I'm researching it now by exposing myself to hostile comments here in the hope that I learn something besides the fact that I'm clearly stupid.
2018-10-7
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hedsic Posted at 2018-10-7 09:00
Can't fly in an area declared a No Fly Zone... Proceeds to blame and get mad, randomly, at DJI for it.

I think some of the stupidity from the Service section of this board is starting to leak over to the Mavic page.

In that case perhaps you would be good enough to explain the varying details of Mavic's implementation of NFZ in all European countries. Is it sound? Or is it clumsy, obscure and heavy handed? I don't know.  
2018-10-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-10-7 09:15
You are of course assuming you have a perpetual internet connection :-) Like Apple assuming you are always connected to Icloud :-)

Yes Virginia, there are still places without a phone signal.

No internet or cell connection is required if map is correct. That's what made me comment on all being up to date in terms of firmware, DJI Go 4 App' and 'flysafe database updates'. I'm wondering if some glitch in the system has caused problems.

There must be some reasonable explanation as to why it wouldn't allow you to take off at all.
2018-10-7
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

GhostWolf010 Posted at 2018-10-7 08:41
Agreed, tbh, you sound like a kid who wants something but won't get it. I know it can be pretty frustrating, but in the end it is your own responsibility to check for nfz before you try to fly somewhere. It is not DJI's fault that the government of that country decided to make that area an nfz.. Just be glad there are still a lot of places where you can fly. The only thing I have to agree is that the nfz's indicated shouldn't be an nfz but only a warning area. I don't know if you updated your fw and fly safe database?

When someone suggests I am being unreasonable I go to bed and pray that they have the same experience and that I can be a fly on the wall :-)

I think everyone understands NFZ around prisons, airports, urban centres, private gardens, defense establishments etc etc. It is counter intuitive to have a useless drone in some of the most wild and underpopulated regions in Europe. One possibility is that some bureaucrat has gone mad on the map with a pen and DJI has faithfully implemented the madness. That I can accept (even though it was very annoying).

Another possibility is that DJI's warning popup is obscure, uninformative, awkward to use in practice, requires a connection, and unnecessarily complicates flying in some areas with very simple and acceptable restrictions. In almost every situation I would have accepted beginner mode as a reasonable restriction. If one consequence of me being unreasonable is that other people pay attention, then that is a good result.

I won't be taking my drone on any more trips, and I won't be purchasing any more products, until I have a very clear explanation of the consequences of signing off on DJI's NFZ waiver. That's not unreasonable. That's just the practical experience of riding 2,500 miles with a drone that was mostly deadweight.

2018-10-7
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-7 09:45
No internet or cell connection is required if map is correct. That's what made me comment on all being up to date in terms of firmware, DJI Go 4 App' and 'flysafe database updates'. I'm wondering if some glitch in the system has caused problems.

There must be some reasonable explanation as to why it wouldn't allow you to take off at all.

So now we are getting somewhere. I did check all the updates the day before I left (3rd Sept) and everything seemed to be current. The drone operated normally throughout (when it was clear to fly).

My problem might have been Enhanced Warning Zones, as I was never with a 100 miles of  anything remotely restricted. I had no idea what the popup meant. Do I have authorisation? Can they have my credit card number? etc. I was not in a position to research the issue. It looked like it was reporting to a central database. I have seen info that suggests it does. You are saying a connection is not needed.

I am sure in time I will clarify this, but my experience was what it was - I had a drone, I was in the middle of nowhere, it wouldn't fly, it was asking me questions I didn't know how to answer, and I didn't know what would happen if I said yes. And it was hot and I had trouble seeing my phone screen in the sun and my reading glasses were packed.

So the reasonable explanation is that it wanted an authorisation, and I had no idea what to do. So it didn't fly :-) Like DJI intended. And I was annoyed, because I didn't really believe anyone in the world cared if I flew 50 metres north in the middle of 100 square miles of north Portuguese mountain.

2018-10-7
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer
Netherlands

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-10-7 09:47
When someone suggests I am being unreasonable I go to bed and pray that they have the same experience and that I can be a fly on the wall :-)

I think everyone understands NFZ around prisons, airports, urban centres, private gardens, defense establishments etc etc. It is counter intuitive to have a useless drone in some of the most wild and underpopulated regions in Europe. One possibility is that some bureaucrat has gone mad on the map with a pen and DJI has faithfully implemented the madness. That I can accept (even though it was very annoying).

I don't say you are unreasonable, only that youn sound unreasonable the way you choose your words.
You blamed DJI for something they have no control in.

Now to the point: check the post from Aardvark, right under the map you see the whole NFZ explained.
2018-10-7
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-7 07:29
Your missing the point, it’s not dji who decides NFZ , it’s the country your flying in, if there was no restrictions on your drone, yes you could have flown, but if you were caught flying, you would then be facing the rigors of the law you just broke, then you might be having a problem with dji for not warning you.
Really your complaint should be directed towards those who decided to mark these territories as NFZ for drones, although dji NFZ is not always 100% accurate, it has been improving and hopefully over time it will become more accurate.

Yes, I see that.  I ride a 160bhp motorcycle and drive a 260 bhp car and understand clearly the consequences of exceeding the speed limits marked on road signs. I'm not a complete idiot. I have driven in a lot of countries. I do understand the concept of law.

Fortunately my engine management system does not force me to sign a waiver every time I change speed zones. Vehicle manufacturers assume I am a grown-up.

So I'm trying to figure out what DJI is doing.  And whether it makes sense. And whether I can live with it. And whether I will use their products. Warning me is one thing, grounding me is something else.
2018-10-7
Use props
GhostWolf010
Second Officer

You have to see it the way it is: the nfz are not there to irritate you, they are there to help you...
2018-10-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-10-7 10:19
So now we are getting somewhere. I did check all the updates the day before I left (3rd Sept) and everything seemed to be current. The drone operated normally throughout (when it was clear to fly).

My problem might have been Enhanced Warning Zones, as I was never with a 100 miles of  anything remotely restricted. I had no idea what the popup meant. Do I have authorisation? Can they have my credit card number? etc. I was not in a position to research the issue. It looked like it was reporting to a central database. I have seen info that suggests it does. You are saying a connection is not needed.

"And it was hot and I had trouble seeing my phone screen in the sun and my reading glasses were packed."

Seeing the screen and understanding can be a problem in direct Sunlight, and as can be seen in the link below it can be difficult to interpret at the best of times. All that is required is to tick the blue circle then tap on yes, and that should be good for that flight.

https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... notification.37448/
2018-10-7
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

GhostWolf010 Posted at 2018-10-7 11:54
You have to see it the way it is: the nfz are not there to irritate you, they are there to help you...

That is a very contentious point. I don't have to see it the way it is.

Providing me with a database of flight restrictions is fine. Providing me with warnings including horizontal and vertical limits is fine. Having an option to limit flight within zone limits is fine - I would use that. And I would uncheck it at my own discretion and good judgement, the same judgement I use every time I drive a vehicle.

Making it impossible to use the drone unless I do some arbitrary tribal dance at DJI's discretion is not fine and it does not help me in the least.
2018-10-7
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-10-7 12:15
"And it was hot and I had trouble seeing my phone screen in the sun and my reading glasses were packed."

Seeing the screen and understanding can be a problem in direct Sunlight, and as can be seen in the link below it can be difficult to interpret at the best of times. All that is required is to tick the blue circle then tap on yes, and that should be good for that flight.

Okay, that is not what I recall seeing. I saw the dialog several times, and tried to pursue it at one point when I had a wifi  connection.

First it warned me of a restriction. Then it asked me to input information, including phone number and credit card number, and asked if I had authorisation to fly. I might have needed my Mavic password, I don't recall, and I didn't have the password with me. I wasn't prepared to go further without researching the topic at length, and I decided to wait until I returned home, because I didn't have the luxury of time to spend on it - it was a motorcycle trip, not a drone debugging experience :-)

This thread has been running for a few hours and no-one has mentioned this rigmarole - perhaps it is a recent (Sept) update to NFZ code?

I still don't know what to do.
2018-10-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-10-7 12:37
Okay, that is not what I recall seeing. I saw the dialog several times, and tried to pursue it at one point when I had a wifi  connection.

First it warned me of a restriction. Then it asked me to input information, including phone number and credit card number, and asked if I had authorisation to fly. I might have needed my Mavic password, I don't recall, and I didn't have the password with me. I wasn't prepared to go further without researching the topic at length, and I decided to wait until I returned home, because I didn't have the luxury of time to spend on it - it was a motorcycle trip, not a drone debugging experience :-)

That as far as I remember is what's required for formal authorization in a 'restricted area' . Something I've not done. There is also a possibility that local restrictions may have changed but not yet reflected in their flysafe website maps. The aircraft & App' are updated periodically with 'flysafe database' updates.

Another thing to bear in mind is that you need to be running a copy of DJI Go 4 that has been logged into your account at some point when connected to wifi or cell data. Thereafter DJI Go 4 can be opened and run without having to log into account again.

You could always have a look at the map for your local area and head for a warning zone to test out :-)
2018-10-7
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

i understand the frustration here, but come on..  a bit of research, most places even with limited internet will attempt to accommodate you, if you knew sources to checked, they could looked it up for you, to verify  maybe you are lodging within an NFZ/Enhanced Advisory area, etc etc..

ill give you another pro traveler tip, a lot of restaurants and cafes and places like that will also try to accomodate you, maybe offer wifi you can sign into, when your having issues with aircraft thinking its in an NFZ, you should have dived into one of those places, asked to use wifi, grab a sandwich/a drink or a small snack and updated your stuff...have to have the aircraft connected to update the databases since the update is pushed to the aircraft..

2018-10-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-10-7 11:33
Yes, I see that.  I ride a 160bhp motorcycle and drive a 260 bhp car and understand clearly the consequences of exceeding the speed limits marked on road signs. I'm not a complete idiot. I have driven in a lot of countries. I do understand the concept of law.

Fortunately my engine management system does not force me to sign a waiver every time I change speed zones. Vehicle manufacturers assume I am a grown-up.

Well you already have said you were ill equipped and informed about nfz’s , but your an adult get over it and step up to the plate, or are you expecting dji to nurse you through it.
2018-10-7
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-10-7 10:19

first of all..  they dont assume you are an adult when driving, speed limit is actually enforced by officer discretion usually.  

second of all..  why the eff does my Volvo wagon got about as much HP as your car + bike ..?  

and finally, rules of the air are very very differant from the rules of the road.. very differant. not only is nothing ever assumed, but enforcement is way differant not up to discression of someone, but rather an entire entity..sadly, air space is not only very premium but it is taken very seriously when rules get broken.

2018-10-7
Use props
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38835 ft
Australia

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-10-7 06:08
Hey mate,

The CASA app, "can I fly there", will show where you can and can't fly from a civil aviation standpoint.  The "UAV Forcast"  app, (go to the maps tab at the bottom) shows all fly zones including DJI NFZ.  Also has great information as to wind and wind gusts at different altitudes.  I would recommend both apps!
2018-10-7
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

QuadFunAus Posted at 2018-10-7 16:07
The CASA app, "can I fly there", will show where you can and can't fly from a civil aviation standpoint.  The "UAV Forcast"  app, (go to the maps tab at the bottom) shows all fly zones including DJI NFZ.  Also has great information as to wind and wind gusts at different altitudes.  I would recommend both apps!

Thank you ... some useful feedback at last.

I installed the UAV app. I am not seeing DJI NFZ in areas where my drone wouldn't fly, so I don't know how useful it will be, but I'll give it a go.

In the face of so many hostile and unhelpful responses I have been studying the flysafe map carefully and I am unable to account for the behaviour of DJI GO 4. As I am back in the UK I can't replicate the experience (even though my house in the south of England is ringed by small airports and looking at the UAV map you wouldn't have thought there was any chance DJI would let me fly.)

The Pyrenees in particular - I know exactly where I was and there is nothing on the flysafe map. I've just checked. So I am no further forward. Looking at the flysafe map I would not have anticipated that DJI GO 4 would ask me to go through the flight approval process. The somewhat abrasive responses and suggestions I have had on this thread have not been useful and have not tallied with my experience.

I will continue to investigate.
2018-10-8
Use props
Valkeerie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Valkeerie Posted at 2018-10-8 01:02
Thank you ... some useful feedback at last.

I installed the UAV app. I am not seeing DJI NFZ in areas where my drone wouldn't fly, so I don't know how useful it will be, but I'll give it a go.

To summarise what I have learned so far:

- the drone was acting as if it was in an authorisation zone. Not a warning zone, not an enhanced warning zone.

- I have spent some time with the flysafe map looking to see if I was in an authorisation zone at the time. I don't believe that I was.  I was in remote country. In one case where I was clearly at the centre of an enhanced warning zone (Picos de Europa) I was able to fly without a warning. In a second case where I was right on the edge of the same zone, it behaved as if I was in an authorisation zone and did the whole "dial home ET" thing.

The suggestions that I don't understand NFZ and I'm being a histrionic grouch are not helpful. You all depend on DJI's code working properly, and if it doesn't, you have an irritating brick in your hands. If you travel somewhere unfamiliar and you check the NFZ, and your drone won't fly you are going to be irritated, especially if you don't know why.
2018-10-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules