Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Do you fly with and Insurance?
1459 12 2018-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mars5150
lvl.4
Flight distance : 391493 ft
United States

Hi Pilots,
I was wondering how many of drone users do have a specific Insurance for third party caused accidents or enjuries.
In europe companies are still very few and mostly just for citizen country, not one valid through al europe for example. Much more here in Italy the offer is very, very small.

So my questions are do you or you don't??
May you can share links or information about known assurance companies with specific offerings for drone flyers? Can be usefull for all of us.

Single SelectVote, Total 15 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

33.33% (5)
26.67% (4)
26.67% (4)
13.33% (2)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-10-8
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

For recreational flying, my home owners insurance covers me for liability (verified with my agent) plus I have PAP on all of my drones and cameras. If flying under Part 107, I have Verifly, $10 an hour is very reasonable if you're not doing it full time.
2018-10-8
Use props
Mars5150
lvl.4
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-10-8 08:03
For recreational flying, my home owners insurance covers me for liability (verified with my agent) plus I have PAP on all of my drones and cameras. If flying under Part 107, I have Verifly, $10 an hour is very reasonable if you're not doing it full time.

Thanks Father for replying. Just to know, what's PAP and Part 107??
2018-10-8
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

Mars5150 Posted at 2018-10-8 22:06
Thanks Father for replying. Just to know, what's PAP and Part 107??

PAP is Personal Articles Policy. You can insure cameras, computers, drones, etc. In the USA, Part 107 is the FAA set of rules for non-recreational flying, for example, taking photos to sell, inspecting roofs, etc.
2018-10-9
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

do you mean insurance?  I had State Farm until they dropped me. I contacted my agent through my homeowners insurance to see if it's covered there and was told that the classification of drones by the FAA, like my Mavic, has them listed as unmanned aircraft so they are required to list it as an aircraft and not as a camera and that aircraft are specifically not included in the homeowners policy so if I had to make a claim I would not be able to. They said that's specifically why people get persona particle policies on them because almost all insurance companies have them marked as aircraft and not cameras.   

At that point I gave up , now I just have DJI care and that is all
2018-10-9
Use props
mavic2zoom-ch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5547667 ft
United Kingdom

In the UK you can join the British Model Flying Association. For around £35/year they provide £25M of liability cover, which expands worldwide if you're visiting anywhere and taking your drone.

I wouldn't fly without it. If a 1kg Mavic fell out of the sky and hit someone/something, they would rightfully be able to claim for the damage from you. If it was a car it could cost thousands, if it were a person it could cost millions. It'd bankrupt you in an instant without insurance ... unless you ONLY ever fly over areas where there is nobody and nothing you could damage.
2018-10-9
Use props
Thriller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

mavic2zoom-ch Posted at 2018-10-9 11:13
In the UK you can join the British Model Flying Association. For around £35/year they provide £25M of liability cover, which expends worldwide if you're visiting anywhere and taking your drone.

I wouldn't fly without it. If a 1kg Mavic fell out of the sky and hit someone/something, they would rightfully be able to claim for the damage from you. If it was a car it could cost thousands, if it were a person it could cost millions. It'd bankrupt you in an instant without insurance ... unless you ONLY ever fly over areas where there is nobody and nothing you could damage.

I agree with you. Unfortunately in Italy we don't have something like your BMFA...
Just to understand your insurance covers you also if you’re flying where is forbidden?
2018-10-9
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

In Denmark, we are legally required to have liability insurance and, in my opinion, everything else is irresponsible. I have mine via MDK (Modelflyvning Danmark) as a member of the club, through a joint insurance that covers up to 1 million Euro.
2018-10-9
Use props
Mars5150
lvl.4
Italy

Hedsic Posted at 2018-10-9 07:23
do you mean insurance?  I had State Farm until they dropped me. I contacted my agent through my homeowners insurance to see if it's covered there and was told that the classification of drones by the FAA, like my Mavic, has them listed as unmanned aircraft so they are required to list it as an aircraft and not as a camera and that aircraft are specifically not included in the homeowners policy so if I had to make a claim I would not be able to. They said that's specifically why people get persona particle policies on them because almost all insurance companies have them marked as aircraft and not cameras.   

At that point I gave up , now I just have DJI care and that is all

Yeah! Little translation Lapsus. I meant Insurance.
2018-10-12
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I don't think traditional insurance is really going to cover accidents that many people potentially find themselves possibly having. If you fly in an area with people and structures then no policy is going to cover your realistic liability. Underwriters write the policy to cover your drone but then issue exclusions that pretty much carve out most of the coverage afforded. Really insurance policies for drones are designed to cover acts of god pertaining to your drone possibly causing bodily injury or property damage. Most policies have a BIPD exclusion.  
2018-10-12
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

To take real estate photos in Australia then these rules apply Oz Rules . The insurance is expensive but if your flying camera hit's somebody by a mistake then worth paying the premium.

For hobby use then you assume the risk as nobody could insure against operator error, especially for some people who have never even bothered to read the DJI manual   
2018-10-12
Use props
Mars5150
lvl.4
Italy

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-10-12 21:20
I don't think traditional insurance is really going to cover accidents that many people potentially find themselves possibly having. If you fly in an area with people and structures then no policy is going to cover your realistic liability. Underwriters write the policy to cover your drone but then issue exclusions that pretty much carve out most of the coverage afforded. Really insurance policies for drones are designed to cover acts of god pertaining to your drone possibly causing bodily injury or property damage. Most policies have a BIPD exclusion.

I agree with you. Traditional insurance mostly do not cover or take in consideration drones. In italy, until today it's not mandatory to fly with insurance, tough it is suggested.
You have to have a specific one that covers damage or injuries eventually caused.

2018-10-12
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2018-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules