Obstacale aviodance caused Motor shut off
1193 28 2018-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kmac187
lvl.2
Flight distance : 250079 ft
United States

I have a question ... would the obstacle avoidance sensor detect a obstacle , break in mid air  and cause a motor shut off ? This has never happened to me before and this happened right after a update. It fell into the water and I have no clue as to why and how this could’ve happened . Mavic pro 1 with 30% battery left

I am hoping some one can help me out with this issue this way . if possible ,so that  i can aviod this from happening in the future. I have video and stick movement of the flight
https://app.airdata.com/share/eIWWEr

2018-10-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Sorry for the mishap that happened on your drone. Please sync your flight records and contact our support so that our team could be able to analyze what happened on your drone. Kindly see the link below.

www.dji.com/support
2018-10-8
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-8 10:16
Hi, Sorry for the mishap that happened on your drone. Please sync your flight records and contact our support so that our team could be able to analyze what happened on your drone. Kindly see the link below.

www.dji.com/support

Hello DJI Tony, I have sent in my Mavic in for repair already. CAS 2298143-Y7X0C3 . However, I don't know if the flight data is checked automatically or if I have to do something on my end . Nonetheless, I will follow your link .
thank you for the fast reply.
2018-10-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Kmac187 Posted at 2018-10-8 10:20
Hello DJI Tony, I have sent in my Mavic in for repair already. CAS 2298143-Y7X0C3 . However, I don't know if the flight data is checked automatically or if I have to do something on my end . Nonetheless, I will follow your link .
thank you for the fast reply.

Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply. You can sync your flight records using the DJI GO 4 app. Please see the instruction below.

* Launch the DJI GO 4 app
* Tap the 3 lines (Located at the top right corner)
* Tap the flight records
*  Look for the cloud icon (Located at the top right corner)
* Sync flight records ( Please get ensure that the incident time is included)

Please let us know if you have other concern.
2018-10-8
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-8 10:55
Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply. You can sync your flight records using the DJI GO 4 app. Please see the instruction below.

* Launch the DJI GO 4 app

I sync and it said sync complete. so I hope I did it right. The date was on October 1, 2018 which was the last fight . here is the video incase they need it or anyone else wants to take a look at it …https://www.dropbox.com/s/rca69ckbhnacz9j/Video%20Oct%2c%206%2030%2023%20PM.mp4?dl=0
2018-10-8
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1688973 ft
Mexico

that is scary as heck...   I will be very interested in how this is handled.   No way was this a pilot error!!!
2018-10-10
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

Dronin Posted at 2018-10-10 13:11
that is scary as heck...   I will be very interested in how this is handled.   No way was this a pilot error!!!

Greetings Dronin and thank you for your feedback you are the 2nd person to say this so it gives me a little hope. Thankfully after getting a little wet I was able to retrieve the Mavic Pro but I was very surprised that it happened to me. I ended up buying another Mavic Pro in the mean time( while that one is in the shop) but now... I have lost confidence and it will take time before I will fully trust it again . I am no longer updating till I know 100% it wont cause any issues. Truth be told, I am not sure if that's what even caused it. Nevertheless,
DJI is on the case and so far so good. hopefully I will get some answers soon they are currently going over the flight data.
2018-10-10
Use props
Strobing_NYC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

There is no way obstacle avoidance caused you motor to shut off, will cause the craft to brake and come to a stop, will cause the craft to gain altitude. Will not shut off motors unless you did the stick combo? Is that a possibility ?
2018-10-10
Use props
Strobing_NYC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

ok so after looking at the video, have you changed any of the advanced settings like braking speed, or tilt angle? Looks like you were coming in hot and vision system picked you up braked the AC and put it into a bad tilt angle which caused the motors to shut off... you can see that it braked super hard and then seems to fall backwards
2018-10-10
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

Strobing_NYC Posted at 2018-10-10 16:48
ok so after looking at the video, have you changed any of the advanced settings like braking speed, or tilt angle? Looks like you were coming in hot and vision system picked you up braked the AC and put it into a bad tilt angle which caused the motors to shut off... you can see that it braked super hard and then seems to fall backwards

I just bought another Mavic and it brakes the same, it was not in sports mode just Normal Mode and all the other settings are set to factory default .
2018-10-10
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

Strobing_NYC Posted at 2018-10-10 16:46
There is no way obstacle avoidance caused you motor to shut off, will cause the craft to brake and come to a stop, will cause the craft to gain altitude. Will not shut off motors unless you did the stick combo? Is that a possibility ?

No emergency shut off combo either, I am screen recording the flight and stick commands from the DJI go 4 App... so you may take a look at it and give me your opinion.
2018-10-10
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

Strobing_NYC Posted at 2018-10-10 16:46

This is the flight from the dji go 4 app . I screen recorded it from my phone and uploaded to dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cf1eyfc1q5u1f8q/Video%20Oct%2010%2C%208%2056%2004%20PM.mp4?dl=0
2018-10-10
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

Dronin Posted at 2018-10-10 13:11

so far they sent me a 700 bill and said the flight data was corrupted ( mean while it was on my phone and upload to air data)  .I am  not happy at the moment, hopefully that will change when I hear back from them either Monday or Tuesday. The Bird was 5 months over warranty, which I understand but I still have no answers as to what caused my issue to begin with. I was hoping that maybe I could get answers. its not about the money since I own another Mavic . My issue was finding out what caused this and hopefully getting some kind of help to avoid this situation in the future. I bought one for 500 bucks with controller & battery. so I find it really hard to believe they would send me a 700 quote for just the bird with no kind of warranty. If I had traded mine in they would give me only 295 for everything . very profitable for their business but sucks for the end consumer
2018-10-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Kmac187 Posted at 2018-10-13 12:34
so far they sent me a 700 bill and said the flight data was corrupted ( mean while it was on my phone and upload to air data)  .I am  not happy at the moment, hopefully that will change when I hear back from them either Monday or Tuesday. The Bird was 5 months over warranty, which I understand but I still have no answers as to what caused my issue to begin with. I was hoping that maybe I could get answers. its not about the money since I own another Mavic . My issue was finding out what caused this and hopefully getting some kind of help to avoid this situation in the future. I bought one for 500 bucks with controller & battery. so I find it really hard to believe they would send me a 700 quote for just the bird with no kind of warranty. If I had traded mine in they would give me only 295 for everything . very profitable for their business but sucks for the end consumer

Looking at the video and your logs, I don’t believe it has anything to do with OA, it was almost certainly a complete power failure.
I’m asking just to eliminate, would you have preformed a CSC which would cause aircraft to shut down ?
Regarding data being lost because of most likely water damage, this means dji can’t download info from your .dat file contained in your aircraft, normally when this happens they come to the conclusion they have.
Although you have some information on your app, unfortunately this does not record the end of your flight or in your case the crash, so they have no information to make a decision on what actually happened.
Lastly because you had no warranty, even it this was a malfunction I don’t believe they would have offered you anything anyway.
It’s a tough break, maybe just get it back and keep for spares.
2018-10-13
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-13 12:57
Looking at the video and your logs, I don’t believe it has anything to do with OA, it was almost certainly a complete power failure.
I’m asking just to eliminate, would you have preformed a CSC which would cause aircraft to shut down ?
Regarding data being lost because of most likely water damage, this means dji can’t download info from your .dat file contained in your aircraft, normally when this happens they come to the conclusion they have.

no csc command . I bought another one already and I just turn off obstacle avoidance from now on. I just thought the quote would be a few hundred bucks not 700. it was 17 months old and I thought they would give me a break some way some how or even explain what caused it.  they asked for my flight data off the phone so for sure I thought I would get a explanation. sometimes  I would be high in the air and the avoidance system would detect something and stop in mid air for no reason. I am sure I'm not the first or the last. Hopefully someone can step up in the states this way there in not a monopoly in this industry and customer service will be hopefully better.  
2018-10-13
Use props
Zsolti
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1882113 ft
Romania

There's quite a few things that weren't ideal and all combined could have caused your crash, therefore DJI might consider it a pilot error, especially if there's no usable data to show why the motors stopped. Flying full speed towards yourself, very close to water with 30% battery and you two acting as an obstacle wasn't very safe.  
2018-10-14
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya Kmac,

Sorry for your loss.
Had a look also at your flight record.

Flying at low alt (last part at 4.6 feet) with 100% fwd stick in P-GPS mode (speed 28.2 ft/sec) should be OK for a DJI drone. (if its wise to do so...but that`s imo not the question)Your MP came close you both and the OA kicked in, resulting is a quickstop using high pith up!
Pitch change within 0.3 second from minus 12 degree to up 73.3 degrees, a real quick stopping. (speed from 28 to 4.3 but still fwd at 4.3)

Final angle readout 72.2, but you did apply almost 100% up at this point. This could result in an even higher nose up attitude. (basic aerodynamics)

So mayby and could well be your drone was powered down because of this high nose up attitude.
Guess DJI could tell you more.

EDIT ; in the last recorded record the following error is written (header/value)
OSD.motorFailReason
RollOverOnGround

Guess its means that the motors stopped beacuse of a RollOver situation, DJI can tell wich angles limits were reached. (> 90 degrees in any angle from level?)

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2018-10-14
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

Zsolti Posted at 2018-10-14 00:40
There's quite a few things that weren't ideal and all combined could have caused your crash, therefore DJI might consider it a pilot error, especially if there's no usable data to show why the motors stopped. Flying full speed towards yourself, very close to water with 30% battery and you two acting as an obstacle wasn't very safe.

it wasn't full speed it was half speed in normal mode just to clear things up
2018-10-14
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-14 02:48
Hiya Kmac,

Sorry for your loss.

thank you for your help with trying to understand this situation.  The OA always causes stops randomly during the day or sunset. I feel like I cant be the first person this has happened to . if your trying to avoid something and you go up on the stick to go higher and the OA detects something at that moment then it will happen again. I have another pro that brakes hard the same way & it pitches pretty high and scares me to the point I have disabled the OA system . The motors should not shut off ( in my option) unless its on its back or even a extreme tilt like 90%.
2018-10-14
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kmac187 Posted at 2018-10-14 06:43
thank you for your help with trying to understand this situation.  The OA always causes stops randomly during the day or sunset. I feel like I cant be the first person this has happened to . if your trying to avoid something and you go up on the stick to go higher and the OA detects something at that moment then it will happen again. I have another pro that brakes hard the same way & it pitches pretty high and scares me to the point I have disabled the OA system . The motors should not shut off ( in my option) unless its on its back or even a extreme tilt like 90%.

Hi Kmac 187,

I  agree that the motors should not stop at 73 degrees pitch up. But as the records stop there i cannot see if 90 or more was hit.
DJI should tell you more (via dat files dat on the drone). I am not sure but i think you can set the braking reaction in % in the menu.

cheers
JJB
2018-10-14
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-14 06:53
Hi Kmac 187,

I  agree that the motors should not stop at 73 degrees pitch up. But as the records stop there i cannot see if 90 or more was hit.

They said that the data was corrupted due to the water damage, but then on facebook I was told by a DJI admin that since it was over the warranty period the data could not be retrieved. either way, once the OA detected me and my friend it braked hard  tilted to brake  and then shut off and went into the drink.  Which has never happened to me before. I own many things and I take really good care of my stuff , so if it can happen to me (someone who doesn't fly a lot) then it can happen to anyone. Once the weather gets a little better I am running test on camera to see if my other Pro is likely to do the same thing before and after it being updated .  but at the moment I have not updated that one since I am not sure if the update is what caused it. Thank you tho, for your help . I am really grateful to the people in the community and to you for taking time out to look over this situation .
2018-10-14
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Kmac187 Posted at 2018-10-14 07:37
They said that the data was corrupted due to the water damage, but then on facebook I was told by a DJI admin that since it was over the warranty period the data could not be retrieved. either way, once the OA detected me and my friend it braked hard  tilted to brake  and then shut off and went into the drink.  Which has never happened to me before. I own many things and I take really good care of my stuff , so if it can happen to me (someone who doesn't fly a lot) then it can happen to anyone. Once the weather gets a little better I am running test on camera to see if my other Pro is likely to do the same thing before and after it being updated .  but at the moment I have not updated that one since I am not sure if the update is what caused it. Thank you tho, for your help . I am really grateful to the people in the community and to you for taking time out to look over this situation .

oke, but even after a normal warranty period they should give warranty in general when something is wrong wich should not happen after 1 year plus 1 day ( or more days...)

If this MP shut off the motors at 72 pitch up....DJI must act on this!
And retrieving data of a submerged drone is possible and ofcourse had nothing to do with a warranty period just ended.

My pleasure to help, happy many dry landings in the future!

cheers
JJB
2018-10-14
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-14 10:32
oke, but even after a normal warranty period they should give warranty in general when something is wrong wich should not happen after 1 year plus 1 day ( or more days...)

If this MP shut off the motors at 72 pitch up....DJI must act on this!

thanks again bud, I am waiting on a call from them either Monday or Tuesday and hopefully they can do something for me. I would even accept having to pay a 2/3 hundred for a repair but 700 is absurd . it was like 10 seconds in the water before I jumped in there after it … and I got a pair of Jordans wet as well lol you guys have made it a lot less painfull . hopefully DJi will do the same for me. Cheers mate
2018-10-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Kmac187 Posted at 2018-10-14 11:04
thanks again bud, I am waiting on a call from them either Monday or Tuesday and hopefully they can do something for me. I would even accept having to pay a 2/3 hundred for a repair but 700 is absurd . it was like 10 seconds in the water before I jumped in there after it … and I got a pair of Jordans wet as well lol you guys have made it a lot less painfull . hopefully DJi will do the same for me. Cheers mate

I too am sorry for your loss and wish you good luck for finding a solution that is acceptable for you. Nevertheless you should also accept your part in the incident and stand for it. When I read your story this morning and saw your flight records my spontaneous conclusion was that too much tilt had stopped the motors of your Mavic (this is an important safety feature that all DJI drones have and always should/must have in emergency situations and that all pilots should be aware of). To be on the safe side with my spontaneous analysis I invited our dear fellow pilot JJB to have a look at your case because he has developed an excellent software for in depth analysis of flight records and he confirmed my less informed findings on what has been the most plausible cause of your crash.
Now I can only invite you to consider his findings. In your case obstacle avoidance has perfectly done what it is supposed to do but since you were flying very fast the braking was too abrupt and has led to what has happened. Obstacle avoidance can only assist you. You as pilot perfectly knew that there were obstacles ahead and could have slowed down your flight earlier. Please accept your responsibility for this incident. And before you might start criticising me, I would like to let you know that I have today crashed my still very new Mavic 2 Pro through 100% pilot error for which I take the full responsibility. My crash ended up in quite beautiful footage and an amazing as well as rather spectacular story that I am going to post here tomorrow. It's 11:30 pm here where I live and too late for processing all the footage and writing down the story since I'll have to get up early tomorrow morning for work. You may look forward to it tomorrow or the day after.
2018-10-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

JJBspark Posted at 2018-10-14 10:32

If this MP shut off the motors at 72 pitch up....DJI must act on this!

Thank you very much JJB for your thorough analysis to which I fully agree. See my response to OP here above. I have had too much tilt today caused by a thin tree branch that the obstacle sensors could not sense and have lost my M2P very high up in that tree unrecoverable for me when a whole row of miracles started to enroll. The whole story will be posted here tomorrow or the day after when I have had the time to process all the partly beautiful, and partly spectacular footage of the row of events.
2018-10-14
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-10-14 13:33
I too am sorry for your loss and wish you good luck for finding a solution that is acceptable for you. Nevertheless you should also accept your part in the incident and stand for it. When I read your story this morning and saw your flight records my spontaneous conclusion was that too much tilt had stopped the motors of your Mavic (this is an important safety feature that all DJI drones have and always should/must have in emergency situations and that all pilots should be aware of). To be on the safe side with my spontaneous analysis I invited our dear fellow pilot JJB to have a look at your case because he has developed an excellent software for in depth analysis of flight records and he confirmed my less informed findings on what has been the most plausible cause of your crash.
Now I can only invite you to consider his findings. In your case obstacle avoidance has perfectly done what it is supposed to do but since you were flying very fast the braking was too abrupt and has led to what has happened. Obstacle avoidance can only assist you. You as pilot perfectly knew that there were obstacles ahead and could have slowed down your flight earlier. Please accept your responsibility for this incident. And before you might start criticising me, I would like to let you know that I have today crashed my still very new Mavic 2 Pro through 100% pilot error for which I take the full responsibility. My crash ended up in quite beautiful footage and an amazing as well as rather spectacular story that I am going to post here tomorrow. It's 11:30 pm here where I live and too late for processing all the footage and writing down the story since I'll have to get up early tomorrow morning for work. You may look forward to it tomorrow or the day after.

thank you for your feed back, and sorry to hear about your mavic 2 which im sure  is still under warranty.
yes,  in hindsight I could've just went about getting that type of footage a different way, but at the same time I've done the same thing many times before and it has never happened to me . I did not expect that extreme tilt to the point of it shutting the motors off reguardless of the speed. OA has flaws and should not brake to the point of it shutting the motors off. There wasn't even wind. so if it happened to me , im sure will it happen to others and they will at least be able to see that they are not alone. Something in the firmware or  a software must be corrected to avoid this from happening to other people. Be cause it happened during normal flying.
Nevertheless,  it was a learning experience and thanks to the community , I have learned a few things along the way. From now on OA will be turned off .and I am never updating it once its working and not causing issues  I would've rather it hit me or go into the rocks, then it to randomly shut off and splash into the water. I have another Mavic which tilts the same way when braking or OA detects something. That was my first drone and it hurts my soul that it fell into the water how it did, with basically nothing I could've done to avoid it other then never having the OA on to begin with or never updating it .  
like I have said before my issue comes from the 700 bill they sent me for just a drone. especially when at the moment   best buy has it for 780 brand new with warranty , controller and battery. maybe they should have something for customers who spend money with them , that   allows them to be a little bit more compassionate towards their customers . Instead of it just being another way to make a profit. Yes I have learned a lot from this situation and I hope and pray that this doesn't happen to me or anyone else for that matter .
2018-10-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Kmac187 Posted at 2018-10-14 14:04
thank you for your feed back, and sorry to hear about your mavic 2 which im sure  is still under warranty.
yes,  in hindsight I could've just went about getting that type of footage a different way, but at the same time I've done the same thing many times before and it has never happened to me . I did not expect that extreme tilt to the point of it shutting the motors off reguardless of the speed. OA has flaws and should not brake to the point of it shutting the motors off. There wasn't even wind. so if it happened to me , im sure will it happen to others and they will at least be able to see that they are not alone. Something in the firmware or  a software must be corrected to avoid this from happening to other people. Be cause it happened during normal flying.
Nevertheless,  it was a learning experience and thanks to the community , I have learned a few things along the way. From now on OA will be turned off .and I am never updating it once its working and not causing issues  I would've rather it hit me or go into the rocks, then it to randomly shut off and splash into the water. I have another Mavic which tilts the same way when braking or OA detects something. That was my first drone and it hurts my soul that it fell into the water how it did, with basically nothing I could've done to avoid it other then never having the OA on to begin with or never updating it .  

Sorry again but you are not drawing the appropriate conclusions in my humble opinion. There is no reason to disable obstacle avoidance unless you are really confident in what you are doing. You should rather look into your flight maneuvers if I may suggest that.
2018-10-15
Use props
Kmac187
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-10-15 12:20
Sorry again but you are not drawing the appropriate conclusions in my humble opinion. There is no reason to disable obstacle avoidance unless you are really confident in what you are doing. You should rather look into your flight maneuvers if I may suggest that.

I am almost 100% sure had it not randomly stopped I would've made it over the beach and landed safely. I had full control up till that point of the OA being engaged . like I said done it many times before with no issues. but I understand u cant just go off what I am saying so we can agree to disagree =).
2018-10-15
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Kmac187 Posted at 2018-10-15 17:18
I am almost 100% sure had it not randomly stopped I would've made it over the beach and landed safely. I had full control up till that point of the OA being engaged . like I said done it many times before with no issues. but I understand u cant just go off what I am saying so we can agree to disagree =).

There is the possibility that during the braking one of the ESCs failed.

You can hear the motors speed up at the end......this puts quite a bit of current through the ESCs

Randy
2018-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules