#Autumn# Fall in Northern Wisconsin. Harsh criticism wanted!
123Next >
6945 110 2018-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

UPDATE: Adding a link to the Autumn contest here. Please stop by and give me a comment and a thumbs up. Thanks
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D545%26typeid%3D545

I'm pretty proud of this video, but still want to know where you guys can find errors or spots that I should fix. So yes, Harsh Criticism is def wanted so I can learn and get better. DO YOUR WORST. I can take it.

UPDATE: Panoreedit, planet1reedit, and planet2reedit were fixed by Charissa! Charissa did a great job fixing some horizon issues and helping me balance the contrast and colors. THANK YOU, they look wonderful.

planet3.jpg
planet4.jpg
planet5.jpg
zoommontage.jpg
panoreedit.jpg
planet1reedit.jpg
planet2reedit.jpg
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Some Instagram pics
FB_IMG_1539034138897.jpg
FB_IMG_1539034136370.jpg
FB_IMG_1539034133947.jpg
FB_IMG_1539034131504.jpg
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

More insta
FB_IMG_1539034128731.jpg
FB_IMG_1539034122025.jpg
FB_IMG_1539034119458.jpg
FB_IMG_1539034115549.jpg
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Couple more
FB_IMG_1539034113035.jpg
FB_IMG_1539034107514.jpg
insta.jpg
2018-10-8
Use props
Jmathews77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 810636 ft
United States

Dude, no criticism from me!  This is damned good work in my opinion.  Nicely done.
2018-10-8
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Great job, some nice piloting, and liked the Dolly Zoom you made!

But, I will add some critiques ;)

First, being it’s Autum, and the colours are so rich and vibrant, I’d have used a LUT with an orange warming hue on those clips to bring out some more of those spectacular fall colours...

Also, the music... Dude, the MUSIC, it was painful!!!
2018-10-8
Use props
Dudecru5h
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20702 ft

I agree, music no good, i happen to er playing the Acapella version of "Because" by the Beatles and it was hauntingly beautiful. You should try it...
2018-10-8
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

come on guys, this was Corey's view on that moment. that is the music he felt and the joy he wanted to pay forward.
maybe syncing it differently with the footage would have a different result. but still, it's a very nice video!
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-10-8 13:36
Great job, some nice piloting, and liked the Dolly Zoom you made!

But, I will add some critiques ;)

Thanks I will look into that. I did like the music at the begining but after I played it about 50 times editing it started to get to me. Thank you very much for the comments!
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Jmathews77 Posted at 2018-10-8 13:34
Dude, no criticism from me!  This is damned good work in my opinion.  Nicely done.

Thanks MAN!
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dudecru5h Posted at 2018-10-8 13:47
I agree, music no good, i happen to er playing the Acapella version of "Because" by the Beatles and it was hauntingly beautiful. You should try it...

I just listened to it, and I agree that it's very moving and haunting, but I've tried to edit drone video to music that doesn't have a beat and I'm terrible at it. Something I guess I need to work on. I need a beat to help me cut and sync and keep the clips moving. When I use acapella I tend to stay too long on clips and the video gets boring or WAY longer than I wanted. Any tips to improve this or if you have examples please send them my way. THANKS FOR THE COMMENT!
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dj_dread Posted at 2018-10-8 13:54
come on guys, this was Corey's view on that moment. that is the music he felt and the joy he wanted to pay forward.
maybe syncing it differently with the footage would have a different result. but still, it's a very nice video!

It's all good. No worries. I asked for the critique and I can handle it. Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment Dread!
2018-10-8
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Romania

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-8 14:03
It's all good. No worries. I asked for the critique and I can handle it. Thanks for taking the time to watch and comment Dread!

and there will be critique i don't have a problem with the music. it's the way you saw that clip and what you felt and how you want to relay that feeling.
i've done my mistakes and i am trying to improve. one thing that i would recommend would be the story telling. music contributes to that, but before music would be the story. instead of mixing shots try to build the clip in a way to have an introduction, an intrigue and an end or sort of..then you will see a lot of critique )
anyway, nicely done! the shots and the colors are priceless!

for example, i am very proud of this video of mine. but i received a lot of criticism as it was not well told and i did not express my intention. the idea was to do a sort of review, test and also let my wife know that i have a new drone and she appreciated my efforts although, viewers were not so pleased. don't want to hijack you thread though..it's just an example of miscommunication to the audience

2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dj_dread Posted at 2018-10-8 14:11
and there will be critique  i don't have a problem with the music. it's the way you saw that clip and what you felt and how you want to relay that feeling.
i've done my mistakes and i am trying to improve. one thing that i would recommend would be the story telling. music contributes to that, but before music would be the story. instead of mixing shots try to build the clip in a way to have an introduction, an intrigue and an end  or sort of..then you will see a lot of critique )
anyway, nicely done! the shots and the colors are priceless!

I agree with that suggestion. I don't always tell a "story" with my videos. I need to work on that and I think it makes people actually watch more of the video if there's a story or a narative. Otherwise people just see it as a music video and skip through it. Attention spans are pretty short, and I'm not the best at holding that attention for more than a minute.
2018-10-8
Use props
dj_dread
Second Officer
Romania

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-8 14:17
I agree with that suggestion. I don't always tell a "story" with my videos. I need to work on that and I think it makes people actually watch more of the video if there's a story or a narative. Otherwise people just see it as a music video and skip through it. Attention spans are pretty short, and I'm not the best at holding that attention for more than a minute.

the title and description of your video were pretty clear to me. fall. colours. wisconsin. i wans't expecting a story but i was expecting enjoying some nice views, which i did. i remember your "proposal" video which i really enjoyed that one had a story as it was asking for one. so it's about what you want to relay..
just my 2 cents
2018-10-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

For laughs, you both should have been in shorts and t-shirts.  It isn't ''cold'' in Wisconsin till outside Coke machine heaters turn on.
2018-10-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Perhaps more people or animals with colorful fall trees?
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dj_dread Posted at 2018-10-8 14:24
the title and description of your video were pretty clear to me. fall. colours. wisconsin. i wans't expecting a story but i was expecting enjoying some nice views, which i did. i remember your "proposal" video which i really enjoyed  that one had a story as it was asking for one. so it's about what you want to relay..
just my 2 cents

Thanks for the input.
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-10-8 14:35
For laughs, you both should have been in shorts and t-shirts.  It isn't ''cold'' in Wisconsin till outside Coke machine heaters turn on.

I know right. I'm actually a Minnesotan but visit the Cheese Heads regularly. I don't usually get my coat out until the snow flies. We did see a LOT of deer but most were running away. Too fast to capture with the drone unless they happen to run through my shot. I should have got more water shots, and we did visit Cranberry Fest this day but because it was overcast and near sunset they shots were not that great. I should have used my fiancé in more shots. She's better looking than me and is willing to put up with my drone antics.
2018-10-8
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beautiful, just beautiful Bing... on mute.  The music makes me want to shove scissors in my ears.
2018-10-8
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fantastic photos as well sir!!
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-10-8 17:24
Beautiful, just beautiful Bing... on mute.  The music makes me want to shove scissors in my ears.

Ok, yeah everyone agrees I picked the wrong song. haha! I will have to make a new version with a different soundtrack. Everyone can feel free to post links to songs they want used instead of the one I picked. Thanks for your input as well! I appreciate you taking the time to watch.
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BTW, I highly suggest using a Fall Color map before you go filming the fall leaves. I used this one to see which counties were at 100%. I filmed in the green square area, but all of northern Wisconsin looks to be at peak times right now. My goal (some year) is to get to Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Connecticut added to my collection of Fall Color videos.

Wisconsin
https://www.travelwisconsin.com/fall-color-report

Minnesota
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fall_colors/index.html

Michigan (Right now it's peak in the UP)
https://www.freep.com/story/news ... foliage/1109941002/

New York
https://www.iloveny.com/things-to-do/fall/foliage-report/

Vermont
http://www.vermont.com/foliage.cfm

New Hampshire
https://www.visitnh.gov/foliage-tracker

Maine
https://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projects/fall_foliage/index.shtml
wisconsin colors.jpg
2018-10-8
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I can only say: come walk with us down this new path of hope and opportunity and in a big way we will keep this hobby strong and free.
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-10-8 18:37
I can only say: come walk with us down this new path of hope and opportunity and in a big way we will keep this hobby strong and free.

That's deep.

(BTW, your flight distance is impressive. I thought I flew a lot, but you're more than double my distance.)
deep.png
2018-10-8
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-8 19:06
That's deep.

(BTW, your flight distance is impressive. I thought I flew a lot, but you're more than double my distance.)

Yeah I get around
2018-10-8
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Pictures need little bit more exposure. Reduce the color a bit. It looks like fake over saturated. Also easy on the music!  
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-10-8 19:34
Pictures need little bit more exposure. Reduce the color a bit. It looks like fake over saturated. Also easy on the music!

In the first post the pictures have less effects on them. Mostly stitched in MS ICE and subtle exposure changes and contrast in Photoshop. Post #2, #3, and #4 are from Instagram which REALLY uses a heavy hand with their filters. They always seem to look decent on my phone but when I view them on my monitor they are too "hot" and saturated. So yes I agree. And yes I'll change the song. It's wildly unpopular!

And thanks for the comments!
2018-10-8
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Will watch the video later. Images, the pano horizon is slanting, I would fix that if it where mine.
The other images is very nice. I would maybe just pop the fall colours slightly in the first sphere, maybe put more light on the middle of the image. Perfect as well, just thinking about things I would have tried if it where mine.
Not needed though. Will do some editing to show you what I had in mind, if you don,t mind?
2018-10-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice work.
I think the video is nice.
Maybe the lighting was less optimal, but you don't control that....
2018-10-8
Use props
Thriller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

I like your video and the music too. Nice work.
Colors are beautiful.
Thanks for sharing.
2018-10-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-10-8 23:24
Nice work.
I think the video is nice.
Maybe the lighting was less optimal, but you don't control that....

Thanks Monfrooij. Are you referring to the cloudy weather?
2018-10-9
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Thriller Posted at 2018-10-8 23:36
I like your video and the music too. Nice work.
Colors are beautiful.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for watching and taking the time to respond Thriller.
2018-10-9
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-10-8 22:58
Will watch the video later. Images, the pano horizon is slanting, I would fix that if it where mine.
The other images is very nice. I would maybe just pop the fall colours slightly in the first sphere, maybe put more light on the middle of the image. Perfect as well, just thinking about things I would have tried if it where mine.
Not needed though. Will do some editing to show you what I had in mind, if you don,t mind?

Yeah, I worked on the Pano for a while and wasn't totally happy with the stitching and the horizon.

What did you have in mind for the other pics? Do you want me to upload a few originals for you to edit? Which pics do you want?
2018-10-9
Use props
spookster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419649 ft

awesome vid.
my harsh critic:
just using hard cuts is boring!
maybe some nice transitions next time
2018-10-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-9 02:27
Thanks Monfrooij. Are you referring to the cloudy weather?

You're welcome.
Yes indeed.
The overcast sky suits a 'sad' feeling more .

2018-10-9
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

spookster Posted at 2018-10-9 02:52
awesome vid.
my harsh critic:
just using hard cuts is boring!

I'll do some research on classy transitions. I don't like the cheap looking ones, but I have used camera movement in the past for transition and it works, but it's really hard to plan that in the field. I'll look for a way to simulate that in post. Thanks for your suggestion!
2018-10-9
Use props
Sky Carrier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 590102 ft
United States

Great video and pics. Love the autumn colors. Amazing.
2018-10-9
Use props
OverTheEdge
lvl.3
United States

Great video and subject to film. In the beginning, the music caught me by surprise; but I think it fits the scenes well.
2018-10-9
Use props
Zulu Lima
lvl.2
Flight distance : 206955 ft
United States

Bing Err Posted at 2018-10-8 18:23
BTW, I highly suggest using a Fall Color map before you go filming the fall leaves. I used this one to see which counties were at 100%. I filmed in the green square area, but all of northern Wisconsin looks to be at peak times right now. My goal (some year) is to get to Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Connecticut added to my collection of Fall Color videos.

Wisconsin

WHAT!!!!! Your DNR puts drone videos up on the color map? that's dope as hell. I need to bug MNDNR to do the same.
2018-10-9
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules