What resolution for uploading video on You tube?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andy10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4585692 ft
  • >>>

OK, maybe stupid question but I really want to know.
You Tube shows us only low res videos at 800 x 600 or even less. At least I haven't found anything above that.
And even so it takes pretty long to upload even a short video. What is yours average time to upload the video.
Is there any way to upload video in 1080 res. that everybody can see it so?

Best regards!   
2018-10-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for reaching DJI forum. I don't want to give you a wrong information about this concern. I would suggest you to contact YouTube support directly. Please let us know if you have other concern, we're here to help. Thanks for your support.
2018-10-9
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi

I use Final Cut Pro and you have the option to Share/Output your video's directly to Youtube at whatever Res you desire.

The file size(driven by the Res you use) and your upload Internet speed, will determine the time it takes to upload, 4-5 minutes of 4k can easily take 30 mins or more.

So when I first got my P4A I shot this, I did not quite have the setting correct(when filmed), but its all about trial and error.

Either way, I then saved/shared/output to Youtube at 4k.

What program or App are you using to save your clips/upload ?

My television lets me view the clips in 4k on Youtube, Safari on my Mac seems to throttle me back to 1080p unless I use Firefox/Chrome(then 4k is fine).

I am also on cable which clearly helps as I fast Internet !

Cheers

PS: As Mark pointed out, don't forget you can select or view the video's in different Res and the default maybe lower than you are expecting.

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 15.42.23.png
2018-10-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

My 4K vids are viewed in 4K on youtube.  But it takes an hour or two to get there.  The upload doesn't take long at all.  But they process it after the upload and that's what takes time.   Once it's processed by youtube, it's available to be viewed in 4K.

If you have a slow internet connection, or a slow wifi connection, or a slow graphics card, or too much memory being used by other applications, etc., you're not going to see 4K vids on youtube.

This one is 4K.  If it's not in 4K, try clicking on the little gear icon on the lower right side, and choose 4K.  

2018-10-9
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
  • >>>

Thank you. It works but I've got a highest option at 720p. YouTube said that it could happen at newly uploaded videos.
2018-10-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-10-9 06:26
My 4K vids are viewed in 4K on youtube.  But it takes an hour or two to get there.  The upload doesn't take long at all.  But they process it after the upload and that's what takes time.   Once it's processed by youtube, it's available to be viewed in 4K.

If you have a slow internet connection, or a slow wifi connetion, or a slow graphics card, or too much memory being used by other applications, etc., you're not going to see 4K vids on youtube.

Move over Rover, let Jimi take over.

That woke me up, good day.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-9
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

andy10 Posted at 2018-10-9 07:30
Thank you. It works but I've got a highest option at 720p. YouTube said that it could happen at newly uploaded videos.

Well, are you talking about the time delay for the 4k option to appear ?

For example if I upload a 4k video, initially I might only be able to view it at 360 etc, but usually within an hour or so, the 4k option appears.

Or are you saying your max option is 720p ?

I am not sure if your internet is not great, if you are automatically cut back as Mark possibly mentioned.
2018-10-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

andy10 Posted at 2018-10-9 07:30

Youtube looks at the speed of your Internet link, if it is too slow, then it limits the resolution of the feed to compensate. But you can upload any video up to 4K resolution, but it may be very slow if your link is slow. Once the upload is complete, YouTube processes the video and creates a range of copies at different resolutions.
2018-10-9
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Best i can ever get is 1080p
2018-10-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-10-9 16:25
Best i can ever get is 1080p

Yes, but you are out the back of Ettamogah, are you not? I am on fast Wireless NBN, even though I am in the country. It just happens to be near a major communications tower. I get 4K, so there!!
2018-10-9
Use props
andy10
lvl.4
  • >>>
Slovenia

Thanks! I've got what I wanted.
Anyway it is pointless sending 4K video on YouTube. How many people can see it? How many have 4K display. Well at 4K TV maybe but you need hours to upload.
2018-10-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

andy10 Posted at 2018-10-9 21:59
Thanks! I've got what I wanted.
Anyway it is pointless sending 4K video on YouTube. How many people can see it? How many have 4K display. Well at 4K TV maybe but you need hours to upload.

You are mostly correct, but the only penalty is the time it takes to upload the clip to YouTube, and if you have a fast connection, it is not much of a penalty. Few people can watch 4K on a proper screen, but for those who can, it is great to see. Just a matter of giving people choice.
2018-10-9
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-10-9 22:02
You are mostly correct, but the only penalty is the time it takes to upload the clip to YouTube, and if you have a fast connection, it is not much of a penalty. Few people can watch 4K on a proper screen, but for those who can, it is great to see. Just a matter of giving people choice.

Yes, I totally agree, most people viewing on mobile phones or laptops then 720p/1080p is more than adequate.

However, with the advent of more and more 4k televisions and for example Mac users with 5K displays, then we do like the higher resolutions and having that option.

Again I do find Safari only lets me view Youtube 4k video’s at 1080p, whilst if I switch browsers to Chrome or Firefox then the 4k option is there and that is sending my internet up a power adaptor to my man cave(usually with only 50 meg download speed), whilst downstairs in the house I can easily get over 200meg download and the browser restrictions as previously mentioned by me still apply. Maybe Safari has a option or box I haven’t ticked?

Again these video’s do not necessarily take hours to upload, it is dependant on file size and upload speeds.
2018-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules