724 7 2018-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jmb63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not a Spark but still...This popped up in my news feed, I thought it was interesting!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/co ... ing-of-an-aircraft/
2018-10-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Thank you for sharing some informative video here, this may aware to others what may happen, fly safely. Cheers!
2018-10-9
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

The leading edge of an airplane wing is not the threat from drones. They are more likely to disrupt the jet or propeller engine, which could be much more dangerous than just hitting the wing.
2018-10-9
Use props
DeuceDriv3r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4698533 ft
United States

jet engine mfgs shoot frozen turkeys into jet engines running at full power on test stands to test blade containment etc.. really great videos when you can find them....
2018-10-9
Use props
Wolferl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Great! Now we know why we should not fly near airports!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-10-9
Use props
Jezmo
lvl.4
United States

The aluminum skin on a wing leading edge is much thicker on a commercial plane as compared to a small single engine private plane. Also, when near the ground where a collision would likely occur, the small plane wouldn't be traveling near as fast as the speed quoted in the test. I'm confused as to what they were trying to show with their test. If the concern is commercial aircraft then use the correct materials and if the test relates to private aircraft then match the test speed to something more in line with a private plane traveling near the ground. Of course the test could have been designed to stoke fear of these small machines commonly referred to as "Drones". JMHO
2018-10-10
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

When I was into gyrocopters in the 1970s, Dr. Bensen wondered about bird strikes. So he and Charlie went to the grocery store and ….

It took MANY tries to get the rotor to actually strike the turkey dinner. When it did, there was a little damage to the rotor blade, but nothing to keep it from landing safely. Their conclusion: "Don't worry about it."

There's a video of a drone passing through a helicopter's rotor. People are saying "fake!" but knowing about Bensen's experiment, I believe it.

Yea. Stay away from airplanes. The strike in the video wouldn't bring the plane down, but would be REAL expensive to fix.
2018-10-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks for sharing.
2018-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now