P3 Multi-charger
1136 22 2018-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bart64
lvl.2

Just got into the drone hobby with a P3 advanced. Purchased it used and it came with three batteries....one oem charger....
Started looking around at chargers for mutiple batteries. Yikes some of the prices were out of sight so I build my own.

Using an Arduino micro controller as "the brain" as well as current /voltage sensors, temp sensors plus some other goodies ,it's nearing completion (need to finish the case)
- All case components are printed on one of my 3d printers.
Functions:
- Battery charging at 2.5A and 17.3V. (Battery shuts itself off when full).
- Battery discharging to a voltage level of 14.6V  (storage)
- Battery discharging to a voltage level of 13.6V  (cycling)
The discharging modes are at a safe and comfortable 2.5A rate to keep the temps down.

Can't seem to post a picture of it, but it should be visible in my avatar.

2018-10-9
Use props
Bart64
lvl.2

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-10-9 11:54
The dji batteries don’t need a charger, just a power supply.

The charger is built in to the intelligent flight packs.

@Redhotpoker..

Ok.....got me there...lol. The batteries internal electronics handle the charging so yes I should have called it a power supply.
I looked at the unit you have pictured as well....a bit overpriced. I'm well below that at ~120 in parts.

2018-10-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Bart64 Posted at 2018-10-9 12:07
@Redhotpoker..

Ok.....got me there...lol. The batteries internal electronics handle the charging so yes I should have called it a power supply.

Sounds like that unit you built works well. Good stuff.

Yes, the smart power charger is very expensive, for me too.

If they ever dropped the price, like their first Phantom charger, I may buy one.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The entire charge and discharge process in a DJI battery is controlled by the control board inside the battery itself. Any external control is wasted. All you need to do is supply the battery with 17.5 volts DC and it will do the rest.
2018-10-9
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Have to agree with Geebax ... using the built in capability is generally best ...

If a multi charger is wanted - then 4in1 is about the best ... and its a lot cheaper than that totally overpriced awful Smart Powercharge unit ... Why anyone would even consider paying out such money for something that still basically uses the inbuilt DJi Battery charge board is beyond me.

This unit charges 3 P3 + Controller simultaneously at full rates ... you still have the original DJI unit spare if you want to charge a 4th battery etc.

Mains powered so no rate reduction when based on DJi charger used as power supply as in the DJI unit and similar.

Mines still performing perfect after countless use ... best $40 incl shipping I ever spent on this ...

Nigel
2018-10-10
Use props
Bart64
lvl.2

solentlife Posted at 2018-10-10 03:38
Have to agree with Geebax ... using the built in capability is generally best ...

If a multi charger is wanted - then 4in1 is about the best ... and its a lot cheaper than that totally overpriced awful Smart Powercharge unit ... Why anyone would even consider paying out such money for something that still basically uses the inbuilt DJi Battery charge board is beyond me.

Perhaps my explanation was confusing

As far a charging goes, it functions just like a power supply, the electronics in the battery shut the charging mode off when the battery is full.
The only thing the microcontroller does  is allows me to start and stop the supplied power via push buttons. It also displays the charge current, voltage and battery temp.

For storing the battery, the power is dumped into an 8 Ohm 100W power resistor. This creates a current draw of ~2.5A.
Here the microcontroller does the same as before except it will now shut off the process when the battery reaches 14.6V leaving the battery ~50% charged.
I wanted this feature so that..I did not have to use the P3 to drain the batteries for storage.

The discharge feature is for cycling the batteries per recommended interval.
Works the same as storage but takes the battery down until it (battery) shuts off (regulated by the batteries electronics.)

A case fan provides continuous airflow across the batteries when discharging.
Comes on automatically if a hot battery was inserted into the charger.
Temp monitoring shuts the process off if a battery temp gets to high and also will not allow charging to start with a hot battery.

I did not re-invent the wheel here. The batteries internal "intelligence" pretty much takes care of itself.
I wanted a battery charger with my above mentioned features but was not about to shell out the near $400 for a new unit. I achieved that goal had had fun in the process by building it myself.

My intention with the post was to share this idea in case any other "tinkerers" might be interested in building their own.

2018-10-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Bart - I also create things that basically do what something over shelf can do ... makes it all a bit more worthwhile. So please do not misunderstand.

My solution to manual discharge / charge without using the 4in1 or DJI ... is an Accucel 6 80W charger and I have others higher / lower wattage capable as well. I have a bank of LiPo programmable chargers.

For about $30 - the Accucel also display all the info ... charge rate in ... amount of time and charge input, voltage at that instant and with safety cutouts. It will show same for discharge at rates I can also set ... it will stop when it gets to storage voltage total level (the sad thing is no balance lead connection so it relies on battery board for that).

I also have a $5 Telsin discharger that takes battery down to 15,4V (nominal level) and the recc'd storage level of all LiPo's 3.85V per cell .... I would suggest that 14.6V is not a recc'd storage level - that is below the manufacturers range of 3.75 - 3.90V per cell ......

As to discharging to 8% .... that is an old advise and has been debunked so often and even DJI do not actually recc'd it anymore ... yes I know Battery manual can be found with it still in ... and some moderators still quote it ... but it is not recc'd anymore .. ONLY for possibly resetting the mAh counter.

My purpose in posting was to inform those not so 'DIY' inclined of units available that do not mortgage the walley such as that daft Smart Powercharger !! $400 for what ? A cyclic charger with a few fancy bits ...

I could buy a multi LiPo charger / discharger with full data diplays and HV capability for less than half that price ...

Nigel
2018-10-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Have we got a spammer again ??? I'm not going to click on his link !

Nigel
2018-10-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

People buy the smart power for its simplicity of use.

Obviously, everyone here isn’t rocket scientist educated.

For the time, effort and trouble of building a power source, I would simply buy mine. That’s why I bought a second DJI 100w charger...

When the SmartPower is reduced in price, I’ll be first in line.

Throw your hands up upon the air if you wish, but please cease your nonsense of thinking your ideas are better than everyone else’s.  
That attitude makes you sound like a dim whitted arse.
Grow up.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

solentlife Posted at 2018-10-10 09:28
Have we got a spammer again ??? I'm not going to click on his link !

Nigel

Post any website, with your DJI battery chargers...  or any products of your design.

Otherwise stop insulting others with your ignorance.

No one (here) cares what you think, with your know it all pushy attitude.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-10
Use props
Bart64
lvl.2

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-10-10 09:40
Post any website, with your DJI battery chargers...  or any products of your design.

RedHotPoker

Am I the intended recipient of your comments?
2018-10-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Bart64 Posted at 2018-10-10 09:51
RedHotPoker

No. Definately not. Ever...  I clicked reply above, that’s where it ends.
Sorry, but I didn’t want to name names... but they know whom I refer, in kind.

A305EF26-F83F-4521-BB87-04B8C012092C.jpeg I wish we were all on the same page, but evidently that’s only a fleeting Canadian pipe dream, for next week.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Bart64 Posted at 2018-10-10 09:51
RedHotPoker

No - he's having a go at me as usual ...

Nigel
2018-10-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-10-10 09:40

You do understand that I was not posting any link to website - but actually commenting on a spammer ?

But no - your view of me prevented that.

Nigel
2018-10-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-10-10 09:37
People buy the smart power for its simplicity of use.

Obviously, everyone here isn’t rocket scientist educated.

$400 for a fancy box ... get real RHP ... you keep showing that PoS .....

For many people they stump up the money for their Phantom and they really do not need to be shown a PoS that is unnecessarily expensive, does nothing that simple any user can do with normal priced gear.

I have every right to suggest or describe ways to achieve results that do not entail spending $400. Its not rocket science .. its not beyond the capability of even you ...

Grow up ? That's funny coming from you ..

Anymore 'playground' posts to make with silly pictures ? That have ZERO relevance to thread ? I'm sure you can find something .....

Nigel
2018-10-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

solentlife Posted at 2018-10-10 10:19
No - he's having a go at me as usual ...

Nigel

Its not “as usual”, only after you feel obligated to insult others products, but continue bragging up the stuff you “supposedly” built.

Please get off of your high horse.

& by the way, Get over yourself, you are not that cute. Hahaha

If people want to spend money, which keeps the worlds economy humming, what has that got to do with you.

Arrogant prick, calling the SPC a POS. No that’s what you are, for humbling the forum with your bravado.

I know one thing for sure, if push ever came to shove, you’d  be down. Haha

Please Polish my Boots. Haha

You report me ok!!  Dumb arse.

Just stop insulting others choices with the crap you sling. Are you selling battery chargers? No

RedHotPoker
2018-10-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

solentlife Posted at 2018-10-10 10:27
$400 for a fancy box ... get real RHP ... you keep showing that PoS .....

For many people they stump up the money for their Phantom and they really do not need to be shown a PoS that is unnecessarily expensive, does nothing that simple any user can do with normal priced gear.

Get a life, find another place to vent your obvious frustration of a misearable existence over there.

Not our problem, or concern. Learn to turn the other cheek.
4FA9DAD1-23DC-454A-A98C-BAE9095583FF.jpeg
Man up, you big crybaby.

Not everyone is a poor assed begger, you know. Many here are gainfully employed, highly educated, and positivity motivated. Not looking for your sympathy. Good grief. Call Mother Terresa. For blessing.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-10
Use props
Bart64
lvl.2

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-10-10 09:58
No. Definately not. Ever...  I clicked reply above, that’s where it ends.
Sorry, but I didn’t want to name names... but they know whom I refer, in kind.

Whew...thanks.
2018-10-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Sorry, for having it out, in your post. My apology.

I’m over it.  Just don’t approve or appreciate that kind of rediculous attitude towards other members on here, over superior products that some can’t affird. Myself included.
But that is never a reason for anyone, to insult, belittle, put down, or harrasss others about it.

I get that, that person, has a big chip on his/her shoulder, but leave it off the forum.

I have better things to do with my precious free time, then put up with anothers garbage in here.

Thanks for being mature about it.

Again, I am very sorry. Apologies to “Nigella” as well. Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-10-10
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Oh Dear  ....

"Not everyone is a poor assed begger, you know. Many here are gainfully employed, highly educated, and positivity motivated."

RHP - to put it very simply :

You have no idea of my finances, work or education. I can assure you that in all 3 - I am actually in the higher echelons of Business and Finances. My education and qualifications exceed the many.

I do not build Charging systems but I can recognise a good well priced unit when I see one. I do not have to post childish rubbish to maintain post rate. And I certainly do not have to ask for people to click Friend button. Given the private messages I receive on here and elsewhere - yes you are known outside this forum - I would suggest that many of those 'friends' are having a laugh at your expense. Plus the positive feedback I get about my suggestions and information.

Yes I report you regularly for OFFENSIVE CONTENT .... TROLLING. That will continue as long as you carry on your childish posts and insulting behaviour. Or until I've had enough of suffering your rubbish. What surprises me is how long it will take before moderators shut you down.

Every forum has its self-appointed 'clown' - yes - you fit that bill, trouble is you are not funny.
I was going to ignore it all - but in the end how can you ?

So now that you've spoilt a very good thread - I apologise to the originator of the thread and all others who have contributed so well. I also apologise to DJI as owners of the forum.

Nigel
2018-10-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I’m already over you, so I wish you a great life, be well.

Sorry, I’m just not interested in your style of this juvenile bickering, back and forth bs bantering.

So, now, I’m simply going to ignore the ignoramus. Good day señor.

You  will never degrade me again.  

Sorry you stoop this low. We have names for this nonsense. Squealer, rat fink, stool pigeon, tell tale.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-11
Use props
gamer1020
lvl.1

Iran

It was a good comment lol.

Ok these comments are so useful and I think i couldn't read all of them ,

2020-2-4
Use props
gamer1020
lvl.1