4366 16 2018-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Byers Video
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30906 ft
United States

Greetings all Mavic and Drone Masters.

I had a slight malfunction, but after reading a few posts about crashes, it seems that the issue happened as it was supposed to -- not of my wishes, but as it was set up to do.
The battery was at 20% on the mavic when it said low battery, so I selected to land it when it had a mind of its own.

I am guessing it wanted to go home which was through the trees 20 yards away. It started heading toward the trees when I backed it off then it shot up and I stopped it just in time before it hit low lying limbs. I was surrounded by trees all around and above, just a nice canopy to fly through.

After it came down, I tried to land it again when it really went crazy, even came after me, I ducked out of the way as it headed to blackberry bushes and the trees behind me. then back down the road and into a spruce tree 40 feet up.

It is fine, needed new blades.

My question is, what are the best settings to be notified of low battery before it goes into wanting to go home, when you are nowhere near home and no safe direct route for it to get home, and the battery would not make it home?

Why does it shoot straight up in the air? Why do the controllers have no control over it when it goes into its crazy mode?

I am afraid to start the thing up now, even with a fresh battery. I am not sure it likes me anymore, so i have not looked at the settings it is on. Will do eventually.
2018-10-9
Use props
Byers Video
lvl.1
United States

ALSO. What are the best replacement blades? and where to get them?
2018-10-9
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

My rec is to leave  the default settings as they are and return to home when you are down in the 30-35% range. Presuming you took off in a suitable clearing, you can always continue to fly in that safer, close to home radius if you really want to drain your battery, but I've found it more comfortable to land while you still have control over the bird.
2018-10-9
Use props
fans202792f4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1502477 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly it back and land it when the battery hits 40%
2018-10-9
Use props
Byers Video
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-10-9 12:56
My rec is to leave  the default settings as they are and return to home when you are down in the 30-35% range. Presuming you took off in a suitable clearing, you can always continue to fly in that safer, close to home radius if you really want to drain your battery, but I've found it more comfortable to land while you still have control over the bird.

30 - 35%  okay, someone dropped it to 20%.

And I figured i could still fly it until it went to 0% just to land it, but it freaked out and it would not do what I was wanting it to do. Go down closer to the ground and hover so I could put it into landing mode again. It just flew like it was drunk.

But it started freaking out before I tried to land it.

thanks for the percentage numbers.
2018-10-9
Use props
Byers Video
lvl.1
United States

fans202792f4 Posted at 2018-10-9 12:57

40%... I like that, being more prepared.

But why did it freak out and go into home-mode, at least that is what it looked like it was doing after it notified me of low battery after i tried to land it.
2018-10-9
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Let us know what version of the GO app you are using.  I am in agreement with everyone else on the 30-35% for the battery warning.  When you launched, did you get the update on the home point recorded?  And what is your RTH altitude?
2018-10-9
Use props
Byers Video
lvl.1
United States

Lonesome Crow Posted at 2018-10-9 14:07
Let us know what version of the GO app you are using.  I am in agreement with everyone else on the 30-35% for the battery warning.  When you launched, did you get the update on the home point recorded?  And what is your RTH altitude?

LC. thank you for the verification on the settings.

Yes it did save the home point, that message came up before / just at take off.

Return To Home altitude?

I would say the drone was a good 20ft above where it took off.

but if it is when it is in the air, I would say it was less, but no higher than the drone was when it decided to shoot up.

I hope I gave you the information you were asking for.
2018-10-9
Use props
Byers Video
lvl.1
United States

Lonesome Crow Posted at 2018-10-9 14:07

OOPS for got to answer the first question

DJI Go 4 v4.4.3 (4220)
2018-10-9
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I usually have my drone RTH altitude at best 50 ft above the highest structure/tree.  That way I know that if it is low in area, say in a field, and trees are between me and the drone, it will increase it's altitude to that predetermined height before doing it's RTH.  Dylan in this video does a good job explaining the RTH ().  PS, I know this is for the Spark, but still a good teaching video.

Reason for this is to make sure your bird was not confused on doing a RTH (by it saying home point recorded).  If by chance you get the bird up before that is recorded, and you have already flown out a bit, that now is your RTH location, and not where you launched from.  I would try the video, making sure of your low battery setting, and go to a good open field and try flying again and see if you have the same results.  When you get the low battery warning, get the bird started home.  Let us know how this turns out.
2018-10-9
Use props
Byers Video
lvl.1
United States

Lonesome Crow Posted at 2018-10-9 15:22
I usually have my drone RTH altitude at best 50 ft above the highest structure/tree.  That way I know that if it is low in area, say in a field, and trees are between me and the drone, it will increase it's altitude to that predetermined height before doing it's RTH.  Dylan in this video does a good job explaining the RTH (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqwNSY_4XSk).  PS, I know this is for the Spark, but still a good teaching video.

Reason for this is to make sure your bird was not confused on doing a RTH (by it saying home point recorded).  If by chance you get the bird up before that is recorded, and you have already flown out a bit, that now is your RTH location, and not where you launched from.  I would try the video, making sure of your low battery setting, and go to a good open field and try flying again and see if you have the same results.  When you get the low battery warning, get the bird started home.  Let us know how this turns out.

I appreciate your advice and time. thank you.

Question: once it goes into RTH mode, is the controller ignored?  It would not listen to my stick suggestions. Stay low, stop, do not go there... land now, please...
2018-10-9
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

If RTH is triggered within 5 and 20 meters of the home point and the Forward Vision System is active, it will ascend to 10 meters, if you’re flying lower than 10 meters, and return to the home point. If it’s above 10 meters, it will return at the current altitude. If the Forward Vision System isn’t active, the aircraft will land automatically.
Finally, if the aircraft if further than 20 meters away, it will rise to the RTH height you set in the app if it’s lower than that height before the function is triggered. 20 meters is lowest RTH height you can set.Just remember that you can press the pause button on the RC to stop the RTH process at any time!

This is a little old, but still has a lot of useful information:  http://www.mavic-pro.help/text-h ... s-and-what-to-avoid
2018-10-9
Use props
Byers Video
lvl.1
United States

Lonesome Crow Posted at 2018-10-9 15:41
If RTH is triggered within 5 and 20 meters of the home point and the Forward Vision System is active, it will ascend to 10 meters, if you’re flying lower than 10 meters, and return to the home point. If it’s above 10 meters, it will return at the current altitude. If the Forward Vision System isn’t active, the aircraft will land automatically.
Finally, if the aircraft if further than 20 meters away, it will rise to the RTH height you set in the app if it’s lower than that height before the function is triggered. 20 meters is lowest RTH height you can set.Just remember that you can press the pause button on the RC to stop the RTH process at any time!

WOW!!!

GREAT things to know. Thought I read up on all the functions and features. Guess I really did not understand them.

But again, this is the first time I have flown in an area that did not have clearance above and at least 20 feet on all sides. I know it was my fault, but not sure why it did not listen to the controller.

Do you recommend turning off the RTH mode, so it at least just lands where it is?  course if you are over water, you are screwed.

I guess I should stick with what I normally do, is file a flight plan, basically, plan my flight and stick to it. this time I went somewhere I should not have and with a low battery.

EVERYONE THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE!  A learning experience.  good thing this was done on our 8 acres of corporate property. not downtown somewhere.
2018-10-9
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
  • >>>

Do you recommend turning off the RTH mode,,,,,,,,no, I do not recommend.
2018-10-10
Use props
fansd63c6842
lvl.1
Flight distance : 277602 ft
Canada

fans202792f4 Posted at 2018-10-9 12:57

I am aiming to return at 30% which is what my p4p was set at and it worked well. Almost list my a2s in the water kast night cause i waited too long to rth
2021-7-23
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Byers Video Posted at 2018-10-9 15:25
I appreciate your advice and time. thank you.

Question: once it goes into RTH mode, is the controller ignored?  It would not listen to my stick suggestions. Stay low, stop, do not go there... land now, please...

If it is in RTH mode, you can pause it by hitting the RTH button a second time.
But always verify the RTH height, make sure you have at least 50 feet above the tallest "item".
You can also set the RTH setting for the battery to either RTH, or just Hover. That would depend on the flight area...
One should also keep in mind the low battery setting when starting your flight. 30%  is a good point. If it's kind of breezy, maybe bump it to 40 %, depending on flight direction to the winds.
Are you starting your flight going downwind? That could mean a hard return flight
Starting going upwind? In my opinion, that is the best  way, easier return flight with the "wind boost".
2021-7-23
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

fansd63c6842 Posted at 7-23 05:21
I am aiming to return at 30% which is what my p4p was set at and it worked well. Almost list my a2s in the water kast night cause i waited too long to rth

I've always played it safe... Low battery alarm set for 30%.  When the alarm goes off, I head home.  I don't care if I'm 100 feet away or 3000 feet away.  I head back and land it.  Usually by the time I get back, Battery is still about 20-21%.  I pack away the battery at that percent until the day before I fly again.  Then I'll put it on charge the night before and fly the next day.  
Still using the original MP batteries, still getting 18-20 minutes per flight.  11,400,932 Flight distance so far.  No crashes.... knock on wood..
2021-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules