Nikon Z7 and Ronin-S
2510 8 2018-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dpfranz
New

I have the Z7 on the Ronon-s, and I can't get any connection to the camera to work - focus, shutter, nothing. App shows "Shutter cable not connected" on Checklist tab of Status page, but the Device List tab has a green check mark next to Shutter. Status light on gimbal focus knob is blinking red - no connection.

I can use the joystick, balance and calibrate the gimbal, etc., but no love for electronic control of Z7.

Has anyone been able to get the Ronin-S to do anything electronically on the Z7?

Thanks
2018-10-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, we're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Upon checking, I see that the Nikon Z7 is not yet compatible with our Ronin-S. But if it does not exceed the 3.6kg payload and can fit into the Ronin-S. However, you can use it as stabilizer only without features. As of the moment, we are still continuously looking into possibilities of bringing more features to more camera models. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-10-10
Use props
Sachin James
lvl.1
India

Same Problem... When are we getting firmaware update for Nikon Z7...
2018-10-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sachin James Posted at 2018-10-11 02:49
Same Problem... When are we getting firmaware update for Nikon Z7...

Hi James, our engineers are keeping testing more camera models to update our compatible list, your request of Nikon Z7 will be forwarded to our engineers, hope they will be compatible in the future.
2018-10-11
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

as I am a complete Gimbal / Video noob but got my Ronin-S today - I did manage to get focus wheel to work on my Z7.

But I will join on of the other "threads" - the focus wheel is FAR to sensitive. 1/2mm movement of focus wheel can shoot way past focus point.

As I have only tried for about 1 hour my word is absolutely not gospel as I have NO idea on how pull focus should work. But it does seem far to sensitive for me.

Now I got some manuals to read...
2018-12-18
Use props
aflight
lvl.2
Flight distance : 459367 ft
United Kingdom

I second that - Way too sensitive and also the lack of camera control for the Z7 an advertised supported camera at the time of purchase means DJI are misleading customers.
2018-12-30
Use props
fanse3d398e2
lvl.1

Australia

kazcow Posted at 2018-12-18 14:19
as I am a complete Gimbal / Video noob  but got my Ronin-S today - I did manage to get focus wheel to work on my Z7.

But I will join on of the other "threads" - the focus wheel is FAR to sensitive. 1/2mm movement of focus wheel can shoot way past focus point.

Thanks for letting me know that the Focus Wheel work on Z7.

I have these hardware and firmware:

Z7 1.0.2
Z7 Lens (24-70mm Z mount)1.0.0
Ronin S 1.7.0.60

However, the Focus Wheel does not work no matter what setting I have. There are a combination of things.

1. M or A on Lens (there is no M/A setting on Z mount lens), instruction says M/A
2. CAN or S BUS on the Focus Wheel itself, according to instruction - should be CAN
3. Focus Mode on Z7 (there are Manuel, Auto-S and Auto-C), instruction says Auto
4. USB-C cable or USB-B cable on Ronin, instruction says USB-C

I have a solid Green Light on the Focus Wheel indicating it is communicating well with the camera, but it is NOT working.
I am in the process of working it out with DJI, but response is slow. Hope anyone could offer more help.

Thanks
ML
2019-2-1
Use props
alex_aclb
New
France

fanse3d398e2 Posted at 2-1 20:44
Thanks for letting me know that the Focus Wheel work on Z7.

I have these hardware and firmware:

Hello ML,

I had the same problem with the Z7 and ronin S but now the focus wheel is working perfectly. Please make sure that the "Focus mode" option of your nikon z7 is set to "AF-C" mode in the photo shooting menu AND in the movie shooting menu.

Also, the lens focus mode has to be set on "A".

On my side, I still have another problem, I would like to control the shutter speed, ISO and F/ from the Ronin S app but on the app "create" menu > "video" > "settings" I have the following message for Nikon: "All displayed parameters can be controlled (except for extremely high ISO) only if permissible by the camera. Please refer to your camera's instructions if you want full control."

Does anyone know what parameters need to be set on the nikon z7 for that?
Thank you

Alex
2019-2-2
Use props
fanse3d398e2
lvl.1

Australia

alex_aclb Posted at 2-2 06:28
Hello ML,

I had the same problem with the Z7 and ronin S but now the focus wheel is working perfectly. Please make sure that the "Focus mode" option of your nikon z7 is set to "AF-C" mode in the photo shooting menu AND in the movie shooting menu.

Thanks!

The Focus Wheel is now working.

I will look into the ISO etc setting mode ...

cheers
ML
2019-2-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules