Flying with Ronin S in carry-on luggage
20253 11 2018-10-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
diy-guy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11857 ft

I will travel with my DJI Ronin S and am not sure if I can carry the complete Gimbal in my carry-on luggage.
It's clear that the handle with the battery belongs in the carry-on luggage, but what about the gimbal itself?
I would like to carry it in my backpack for safety reasons. But I don't know if the airport security agrees. Are there any experiences from you?
I don´t want the airport security to see an potential Risk on this 'heavy metal thing'.

2018-10-10
Use props
Aleksey F
lvl.2

Poland

Hi! Over last three weeks flown to Belarus and Turkey with my Ronin S in a backpack with laptop and camera -- both countries are quite security obsessed, security/border guards in both countries had no concerns other than asked to turn it on to demonstrate it really works.
2018-10-10
Use props
diy-guy
lvl.4

Thanks, this sounds great. I will gladly turn it on for the security if i can take it with me.
2018-10-10
Use props
Agustinmgc
lvl.2
Mexico

I just flew from LA - Paris - Bordeaux and back with no problem at all
2018-10-10
Use props
mikeholt
lvl.2

Hi there, I recently flew to Hong Kong and Japan from San Francisco.

No problem on the outbound from USA with United as I have TSA Pre-Check, although I took the precaution of packing the battery grip from my Ronin-S in a LIPO SAFE bag (along with my Mavic Pro spare batteries). When it came to flying ANA (Japan airlines) initially when checking abridged terms and conditions it says no Lithium batteries can be carried in either Hold or Cabin baggage.

After a bit of a panic and some serious research of their website, I learned that ANY NUMBER of spare batteries are allowed providing they contain less than 2g of Lithium AND have a watt-hour rating no more than 100Wh. If the batteries exceed 100Wh but are no more than 160Wh, you are restricted to TWO spare lithium ion batteries ONLY.

I was able to find and download a material safety data sheet for the Mavic Pro batteries @ https://droneshopperth.com.au/battery-safety-data-sheets/ & some details about the Ronin battery from https://www.heliguy.com/blog/201 ... eries-part-1-setup/  

It's worth getting all this info together and printed out or saved on your laptop / tablet to show any overly zealous airport / airline security you might come across. whilst travelling with your kit.
2018-10-11
Use props
diy-guy
lvl.4
Germany

Thanks to you all. I just passed the security in Germany MUC without any problems. The security didn´t event want to see the Ronin in my backpack. Seems to be no Problem (till now) DXB and HND will show ;)
2018-10-17
Use props
djiuser_WmvSJeskUTs4
lvl.1
United States

diy-guy Posted at 2018-10-17 04:38
Thanks to you all. I just passed the security in Germany MUC without any problems. The security didn´t event want to see the Ronin in my backpack. Seems to be no Problem (till now) DXB and HND will show ;)

So its ok to bring the ronin s battery in your carryon?
2018-10-18
Use props
diy-guy
lvl.4
Japan

djiuser_WmvSJeskUTs4 Posted at 2018-10-18 06:13
So its ok to bring the ronin s battery in your carryon?

sure. It sould be in your carry on bagage. No Batterys in drop off luggage.
2018-10-23
Use props
fans733f2559
lvl.1
United States

I've noticed no one has addressed the amount of charge on the battery of the Ronin S when carrying it on a plane. Manufacture suggest less than 35%. Anyone go with a different philosophy?
2018-11-2
Use props
raphael_bellizzi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 757976 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I flew from Canada to Portugal, Portugal to London and London to Canada. Any problem with the Ronin S. They never asked to take it off. Only my laptop. Battery was about 70%.
2018-11-5
Use props
diy-guy
lvl.4
Germany

The battery charge level while flying is not relevant for the TSA or have you ever discharged your notebook or smartphone while flying?
Only DJI reccomends a specific charging level which is not an advice.
2018-11-7
Use props
djiuser_kWnKwR8TE49T
New

India

Hey anyone traveling domestically with Ronin S case? Is that an issue.
2021-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules